The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old October 02, 2019, 21:47   #1
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
Schmeisser S60 60 round coffin mag

I gave the Surefire mag a try, and was quite disappointed in it for $129. I saw this pop up in a PSA ad for $50 and decided to give it a go. I guess these have been sold outside of the country for a number of years, but are just now being imported to the US. Made in Germany.

And Iíll be damned if the thing not only functions 100% with brass AND steel case, but itís light, simple, and looks good too. Itís the same length as a 40 round Pmag, and just slightly wider than the flare of a standard mag well. Itís made of glass filled nylon, and feels quality made.

I ran a few hundred rounds of M193 and steel Wolf through it with an AR pistol, and not a single malfunction. The last round hold open failed to work on the first mag, but operated fine for the rest of the day. Itís an odd setup where the follower engages a steel slider, but the issue was the spring not having enough oomf to overcome the friction of the newer bolt catch dragging in the receiver. Iím sure with slicker coatings on the catch or a broke in gun will operate better.

My only other minor gripes are that it doesnít have an over insertion stop like the current Pmags and the shoulders of the coffin are molded about 1/8Ē below the magwell flare so you can overshoot the mag catch just a bit on an open bolt, and it takes a good slam to get a full mag in on a closed bolt. All minor complaints. I think these things are good to go, especially for the price.
fuel fire desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2019, 06:52   #2
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Good review, I have been interested in them as well.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2019, 10:13   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
At $50 will have to stock up on a few if see at that price. Cost of drum magazines keep me from owning many. Now they need to jumbo size it to an AR 10 size.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2019, 14:55   #4
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
PSA still has them in stock for $50 +$8 shipping last I looked. So about 1/2 the cost of a B+M store bought Surefire or D60. A lot easier to load than a D60 too.
fuel fire desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2019, 23:44   #5
gunners
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 55824
I bought one with my last PSA order. Impressed for $50. Will buy another.
gunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 19:16   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Keep meaning to buy at least half a dozen of these while able but want to test a couple first and don't do much business with Palmetto anymore. They just dont carry quality barrels at the discount prices they used to and can now buy discount bolt carriers everywhere and combine with LMT or similar top quality bolts. Use SIG and DPMS uppers and still have close to a hundred Mag Tactical lowers.

For those of you with the coffin mags have you run them really fast? My only real need for such a high capacity magazine is full auto and binary which can run almost as fast with practice. Wondering if the springs index rounds upwards quickly enough to keep up with high rate of fire. Due to sales tax and shipping had to open a wholesale account which makes purchases a bit more of an issue as can't order online have to call during business hours, transfer to commercial reps which are usually overwhelmed and thus better to place large orders when use them.

If new they kept up with full auto would skip testing, order a half dozen and be done with it unless super impressed. Have a bunch of molle mag pouches that hold two 30 round L4 mags with a little spare room that I use in my L2a1s and my shorty suppressed FAL. If they would hold two of these then would be able to hold 480 rounds in four pouches across front of my rifle armor vests. That would add weight but cover even the worst swarm of zombie attacks.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old November 02, 2019, 22:45   #7
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Thanks for the heads up on these!
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of StalinĎs thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2020, 18:08   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Palmetto and Midway are regularly selling these at $29.99 now which is much better than $50 so had built my inventory up to a half dozen. Three were still sealed in wrapper and three were opened which are well tested. Other than occasional failure to lock bolt back after last round have had no issues in semi, binary or select fire. Week ago got a birthday discount offer from a vendor that when applied to their $29.99 price got six more for just under $25 each. Whenever place an order with someone who sells these cheap plan to add another and if see a real bargain stack them deep. Watch your emails for your birthday coupons.