Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 22 Files

Notices

Old February 03, 2020, 10:09   #1
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
My first pistol

In 1974, I was living with a group of friends in Mesquite, Texas. I had decided that I was going to buy a .22 single-action "cowboy-style" pistol and a few us went on a shopping trip to Town East Mall in Mesquite. There was a sporting goods store called Cullum & Boren (iirc) and they had a display full of pistols. But before I could pick out a revolver, I spied something else that interested me.

There was a Luger among those pistols. My maternal grandfather, Tom Harris, described here on the Files, took in a commercial Luger in .30 cal for pawn once. My Mom's brother Elzy owned it until he passed and now my cousin Thomas has it. I had seen and handled it a few times and when I took this .22 Luger from the salesman's hand, I knew I wanted it. It felt so right, so evocative, that I forgot all about the revolvers and said "I'll take it."

It was the first pistol I owned and the first firearm I had bought for myself. I had a lot of plinking fun with it over the years. It's always been very accurate but reliability hasn't been it's strong suit. Taking it down for cleaning has sometimes been an adventure; once in the 1980s, I had it apart to clean and a pin fell out, soon followed by a spring (I think I counted 7 different springs on the schematic diagram) and then I was f*cked. I took it to a gunsmith neighbor to reassemble it. When he brought it back, he asked me to do him a favor and never take it apart again, lol. Once, I saw a box of familiar looking parts on a gun dealer's counter. I asked if that was a Stoeger Luger, saying I had one too. The guy says, yeah, it is and you can have that one too if you can get it back together.

In 1974, I paid $70 for the new pistol, two magazines, a loading tool and a leather holster. Yesterday, I took the first photos ever of the old pistol. A few years ago, I took it to the farm and the damned thing never missed a beat. Go figure.

– Harry Truman

"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Know your rights; the future is unwritten.

Last edited by Texgunner; February 03, 2020 at 10:40.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2020, 10:27   #2
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Thats right nice,,,box, papers,,,and still in great shape.

My Ruger Mk1 government model bought back in that time frame,,,ok, a little earlier,,is still going strong,,,but no where as pretty.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2020, 10:48   #3
357ross
Registered

FALaholic #: 47543
I don't care what caliber they are or where they were made Lugers have a cool factor that is off the charts.
357ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2020, 10:57   #4
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Nice

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2020, 11:47   #5
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Do we s'pose Stoeger received their patents or are they still pending?

Neat piece and I can see by the exploded view diagram, it looks a little fiddly to detail strip.

A good candidate for a spray down with CLP, followed by compressed air and a quick bore swab------> back in service.

Thanks for your story.
I traded my great grandfather's 1930's Belgian Browning A5 (dumb) for my first handgun at a gunshow...I got a 1970's S&W K-38 Masterpiece.
My grandfather was none too happy I let the Browning go, but I was young, excitable and new to gunshows.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2020, 15:41   #6
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Thanks everyone for the comments! Yeah, I hope they finally got that patent settled. And fiddly? Oh yeah, I won't be tearing her down much anymore.

One of the good things about this design is the "take down" hole seen at the top rear of the receiver. With the action out of the frame, that allows cleaning from the chamber end of the barrel. I'm planning a lil' shooting outing with my wife Jackie soon. Probably take this pistol, a Ruger Mk III and maybe my High Standard revolver. I figure we'll end with some 9mm.

Yes, the pistol here is in pretty good shape; I wish I was in the shape I was when I bought it. Pert as a ruttin' buck then!

– Harry Truman

"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Old February 03, 2020, 16:06   #7
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Thanks everyone for the comments! Yeah, I hope they finally got that patent settled. And fiddly? Oh yeah, I won't be tearing her down much anymore.

One of the good things about this design is the "take down" hole seen at the top rear of the receiver. With the action out of the frame, that allows cleaning from the chamber end of the barrel. I'm planning a lil' shooting outing with my wife Jackie soon. Probably take this pistol, a Ruger Mk III and maybe my High Standard revolver. I figure we'll end with some 9mm.

Yes, the pistol here is in pretty good shape; I wish I was in the shape I was when I bought it. Pert as a ruttin' buck then!
We do tend to take FAR better care of our firearms collections than we do ourselves.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2020, 16:59   #8
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I can remember lusting for that gun.

My parents gave me a copy of "Shooters Bible" in 1973. That gun had a full page.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1973-STOEGER-LUGER-smaller.jpg (219.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg shooters bible 1973.jpg (62.2 KB, 35 views)

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2020, 17:20   #9
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
A.F. Stoeger imported the DWM Pistole Parabellum Model 1900 7.65 Para aka .30 Luger shortly after it went into production. I don't known the date when Stoeger applied for a copy right on the name "Luger". They still own the name to the present time.

Some twenty plus years ago a US firearms company called Mitchell Arms offered a stainless steel Luger which had the Luger name stamped on it. Stoeger filed a copy right infringement lawsuit against Mitchell. It was settled out of court and Stoeger began offering the pistol with their name on it.

A friend of mine had one of the Stoeger .22's and it was one jamamatic POS. He offered to give it to me but I wisely said no. I like Lugers and at the time owned a DWM 1923 in .30 Luger and a Mauser P08 dated 1937. No .22 Lugers for me.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2020, 17:26   #10
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
I can remember lusting for that gun.

My parents gave me a copy of "Shooters Bible" in 1973. That gun had a full page.

That is cool! I got a good laugh out of this line, "Thirty thousand rounds have been fired without a single malfunction." I take that to mean there were multiple malfunctions; better suited to my experience. Thanks for the images and the laugh Gary!

– Harry Truman

Old February 03, 2020, 17:38   #11
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
A.F. Stoeger imported the DWM Pistole Parabellum Model 1900 7.65 Para aka .30 Luger shortly after it went into production. I don't known the date when Stoeger applied for a copy right on the name "Luger". They still own the name to the present time.

Some twenty plus years ago a US firearms company called Mitchell Arms offered a stainless steel Luger which had the Luger name stamped on it. Stoeger filed a copy right infringement lawsuit against Mitchell. It was settled out of court and Stoeger began offering the pistol with their name on it.

A friend of mine had one of the Stoeger .22's and it was one jamamatic POS. He offered to give it to me but I wisely said no. I like Lugers and at the time owned a DWM 1923 in .30 Luger and a Mauser P08 dated 1937. No .22 Lugers for me.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Yeah, mirrors my experiences. As I said, reliability hasn't been it's best feature.

Interesting info too RB. I had heard of .30 cal Luger, perhaps those were the Mitchell pistols?

– Harry Truman

Old February 03, 2020, 17:45   #12
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
My 1st modern handgun, well the first firearm I bought was a new Ruger RST4 standard model semi pistol around 70'/71'
Pops did the paperwork, I paid for it...like $50 odd bucks including tax at a local electronics store that had a gun counter
I was nine years old at the time, was already shooting an original Colt 49' Pocket model in the back yard I had rescued from an abandoned homestead south of town

Anyways a few years later a neighbor bought a Stoeger like yours
Ran great in warm weather with quality ammo, otherwise it was like getting milk out of Boar tits for reliability
The Ermas in .22 were the same way
Early 1st run Stoegers like yours were MUCH better guns than the later production runs which ended up real shoddy
Main reason you hardly see these guns anymore is they tended to go to shit or inept monkeys "worked" on them resulting in a box of parts
same with the Ermas

Cool guns they are though Tex
that's unbelievable condition for your 1st shooter
most of my 1st pistols were used on traplines, etc and showed that history of use before I was even out of high school
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2020, 17:57   #13
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Yeah, mirrors my experiences. As I said, reliability hasn't been it's best feature.

Interesting info too RB. I had heard of .30 cal Luger, perhaps those were the Mitchell pistols?
the original "Luger" round was the .30
The Imperial army came up with the 9mm we know today as a War round
Parabellum transilated is "for War"

P08 defines as Pistole modele 1908 when Germany adopted it
Parabellum defines the 9mm chambering
Euros never applied the term "Luger", that was an American marketing thing by Stoeger which started with their import of the earlier 1900 model

besides Mitchell you had the Interarms guns manufactured by Mauser on Swiss tooling back in the 70s
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2020, 18:19   #14
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
the original "Luger" round was the .30
The Imperial army came up with the 9mm we know today as a War round
Parabellum transilated is "for War"

P08 defines as Pistole modele 1908 when Germany adopted it
Parabellum defines the 9mm chambering
Euros never applied the term "Luger", that was an American marketing thing by Stoeger which started with their import of the earlier 1900 model

besides Mitchell you had the Interarms guns manufactured by Mauser on Swiss tooling back in the 70s
Yeah, I knew all that Jim.
I meant that I had heard of more recent .30 Lugers. The old commercial Luger in our family is in .30. I don't know its vintage but I'd guess my grandfather acquired it circa 1930-40. I may have confused the "modern" Lugers in that caliber for something else. Interesting story though about the Stoeger running good in warm weather. The last time I shot mine it never missed a beat; might've been warmer weather, idk.

– Harry Truman

Old February 03, 2020, 18:38   #15
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
In the latter 1960's Mauser exec's decided that there was a market for a reproduction Luger.

Mauser's production tooling for the Luger was long gone. Mauser had ceased production of the P08 in 1942 with the last production run being exported to Portugal. The tooling had been converted to producing the P38 as I recall.

The Swiss had ceased production of their Lugers in the 1940's and put the tooling into storage. Mauser bought the tooling and in 1968 began manufacturing new Lugers with the straight grip of the Swiss 06/29 model. These new Lugers were made in .30 and 9mm. Four and six inch barrels. They had the Mauser Banner on the toggle and the American Eagle stamped on the upper receiver bridge. They were imported by Interarms and are so marked.

In 1990 I found a NIB 9mm with the six inch barrel and a fancy leather holster made for the pistol in a local gun shop. It was on consignment and it could be had for $600 plus sales tax. I bought it and still own it. Beautifully made as one would expect from Mauser.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2020, 19:12   #16
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
In the latter 1960's Mauser exec's decided that there was a market for a reproduction Luger.

Mauser's production tooling for the Luger was long gone. Mauser had ceased production of the P08 in 1942 with the last production run being exported to Portugal. The tooling had been converted to producing the P38 as I recall.

The Swiss had ceased production of their Lugers in the 1940's and put the tooling into storage. Mauser bought the tooling and in 1968 began manufacturing new Lugers with the straight grip of the Swiss 06/29 model. These new Lugers were made in .30 and 9mm. Four and six inch barrels. They had the Mauser Banner on the toggle and the American Eagle stamped on the upper receiver bridge. They were imported by Interarms and are so marked.

In 1990 I found a NIB 9mm with the six inch barrel and a fancy leather holster made for the pistol in a local gun shop. It was on consignment and it could be had for $600 plus sales tax. I bought it and still own it. Beautifully made as one would expect from Mauser.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Now that I didn't know! Fascinating stuff, thanks for that!

– Harry Truman

Old February 03, 2020, 23:28   #17
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
i have a couple of them.

1 i shot the others are NIB.

but fwiw, the 1 i shot was really accurate. Surprising how too with all of the linkages moving about.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2020, 23:36   #18
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75965
Quote:

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Awfully difficult for a company to import pre war Lugers when the company didn’t exist until 1919. Adolph Stoeger started importing the post war American Eagles in 1921 on a contract finalized in 1920. Initially DWM filled the orders with pistols built with parts from war production. Later DWM/BKIW (operators of the Mauser company by that time) transferred it’s machinery and parts to Mauser to resume Luger production, including the Stoegers into the 1930s. Until US sales were stopped.
Old February 05, 2020, 09:40   #19
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Milsurp, when were US sales of commercial Lugers stopped? I'd like to get some idea of when the Luger in my family was built. I have no real idea of when my grandfather acquired it, but I believe that was pre-WWII. I need to contact my cousin and see if I can examine the old pistol, check out the markings a bit. It's been 20 years or more since I've seen it.

– Harry Truman

Old February 05, 2020, 11:06   #20
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75965
Quote:
Milsurp, when were US sales of commercial Lugers stopped? I'd like to get some idea of when the Luger in my family was built. I have no real idea of when my grandfather acquired it, but I believe that was pre-WWII. I need to contact my cousin and see if I can examine the old pistol, check out the markings a bit. It's been 20 years or more since I've seen it.
Final imports by A.F. Stoeger were in 1937, but the late Stoegers are scarce collectors guns. More than likely you have a pre WW1 commercial Luger, or a post war commercial from a cool transitional period from 1920-1924 where all sorts of rebuilds and such were happening. Pictures are the only way I could give a solid answer.
Old February 05, 2020, 12:59   #21
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilsurpMonkey View Post
Final imports by A.F. Stoeger were in 1937, but the late Stoegers are scarce collectors guns. More than likely you have a pre WW1 commercial Luger, or a post war commercial from a cool transitional period from 1920-1924 where all sorts of rebuilds and such were happening. Pictures are the only way I could give a solid answer.
Thanks so much! I'm going to see what I can do regarding some pics.

– Harry Truman

Old February 05, 2020, 20:37   #22
Arby
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 653
FWIW, my first pistol was a 1918 DWM. I sold a lot of newspapers back then to get the money to buy it. It came with extra mag, loading tool, holster, belt, and "Gott Mitt Uns" buckle. Fifty bucks.

Don't ask. I didn't keep if for all that long, nor did I keep other Lugers and acquisitions from back then. I was a kid. It was all about trading one piece for the next.

Congratulations on keeping your first pistol, Tex! By the way, what model is the High Standard that you mentioned?
Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2020, 09:56   #23
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby View Post
FWIW, my first pistol was a 1918 DWM. I sold a lot of newspapers back then to get the money to buy it. It came with extra mag, loading tool, holster, belt, and "Gott Mitt Uns" buckle. Fifty bucks.

Don't ask. I didn't keep if for all that long, nor did I keep other Lugers and acquisitions from back then. I was a kid. It was all about trading one piece for the next.

Congratulations on keeping your first pistol, Tex! By the way, what model is the High Standard that you mentioned?
Man, that sounds like a sweet piece for a first pistol RB! What a deal, eh? But that was a lot of newspapers, no doubt.

The High Standard is called the Hombre. Although it looks pretty much like a single-action revolver, it's actually sa/da. I bought mine from Allan's Armory.

a few more pics:

https://www.falfiles.com/forums/show...ghlight=hombre

– Harry Truman

Last edited by Texgunner; February 06, 2020 at 18:04. Reason: fixed wrong link
Old February 06, 2020, 10:47   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Thats right nice,,,box, papers,,,and still in great shape.

My Ruger Mk1 government model bought back in that time frame,,,ok, a little earlier,,is still going strong,,,but no where as pretty.
My dad had already given me a 22 rifle but at age 12 he gave me a Volkswagen Beetle and a Ruger Mk 1 Standard and said if messed up with either he would take them both. Before the year was up had my first centerfire rifle, centerfire handgun and had started reloading. Still have that Mk1 and my first press.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2020, 16:46   #25
Arby
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 653
Quote:
The High Standard is called the Hombre. Although it looks pretty much like a single-action revolver, it's actually sa/da. I bought mine from Allan's Armory.
Man, do I like those swing out cylinders on .22s! Years ago my father gave my brother a High Standard Sentinel that has a 9 shot swing-out cylinder. We went through thousands of rounds of .22 short with that thing. It's a good pistol, but looks like a toy. It's nickel plated with a 1-piece plastic grip. It was a lot of fun to shoot and a hell of a lot cheaper to shoot than 9mm for a couple of kids with marginal resources, back in the day.
Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2020, 18:06   #26
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

I fixed that incorrect link in post 23. Sorry 'bout that!

– Harry Truman

Old February 07, 2020, 18:41   #27
Snake Bitten
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13425
Quote:
In 1974, I was living with a group of friends in Mesquite, Texas. I had decided that I was going to buy a .22 single-action "cowboy-style" pistol and a few us went on a shopping trip to Town East Mall in Mesquite. There was a sporting goods store called Cullum & Boren (iirc) and they had a display full of pistols. But before I could pick out a revolver, I spied something else that interested me.

There was a Luger among those pistols. My maternal grandfather, Tom Harris, described here on the Files, took in a commercial Luger in .30 cal for pawn once. My Mom's brother Elzy owned it until he passed and now my cousin Thomas has it. I had seen and handled it a few times and when I took this .22 Luger from the salesman's hand, I knew I wanted it. It felt so right, so evocative, that I forgot all about the revolvers and said "I'll take it."

It was the first pistol I owned and the first firearm I had bought for myself. I had a lot of plinking fun with it over the years. It's always been very accurate but reliability hasn't been it's strong suit. Taking it down for cleaning has sometimes been an adventure; once in the 1980s, I had it apart to clean and a pin fell out, soon followed by a spring (I think I counted 7 different springs on the schematic diagram) and then I was f*cked. I took it to a gunsmith neighbor to reassemble it. When he brought it back, he asked me to do him a favor and never take it apart again, lol. Once, I saw a box of familiar looking parts on a gun dealer's counter. I asked if that was a Stoeger Luger, saying I had one too. The guy says, yeah, it is and you can have that one too if you can get it back together.

In 1974, I paid $70 for the new pistol, two magazines, a loading tool and a leather holster. Yesterday, I took the first photos ever of the old pistol. A few years ago, I took it to the farm and the damned thing never missed a beat. Go figure.

Happy to hear your gun runs good, I bought this same kit at Oshmans in Houston in 1976. Really nice looking luger for a reasonable price at the time. It was a jamomatic, so traded it for a 38 revolver at a Houston gun show mid '90's....

Guns have two enemies: Rust and Politicians
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Snake Bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2020, 18:47   #28
LYCAN
Registered

FALaholic #: 20840
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357ross View Post
I don't care what caliber they are or where they were made Lugers have a cool factor that is off the charts.
True.
LYCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2020, 23:23   #29
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Bitten View Post
Happy to hear your gun runs good, I bought this same kit at Oshmans in Houston in 1976. Really nice looking luger for a reasonable price at the time. It was a jamomatic, so traded it for a 38 revolver at a Houston gun show mid '90's....
Well, at times it has run well, but mostly I recall the jamomatic phase. As stated earlier, reliability hasn't been its strongest feature. I remember Oshmans too, bought a Winchester Defender 12 ga and two Mini-14s from them back in the '80s. Same deal huh? I guess they were marketed that way through various sporting good chains back then. I'd be happy if I could say mine ran good. Oh well, I have a Ruger for that.

– Harry Truman

Old March 17, 2020, 03:24   #30
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
My first pistol that I actually purchased by myself was a Ruger MKI, 6,7/8" heavy tapered barrel in 1978. I traded it years ago for something else but have since replaced in with a minty 1964 MKI. I feel better now.

My second was a 6,1/2" Ruger NM Blackhawk in 357 Magnum the same year. I've been hooked ever since and have finished my collection of Ruger Old Models last year. Well,....finished as one might be "finished" collecting anything.

Best Drop 8 time, 9.41, 8 for 8
6.5 Grendel AR15
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2020, 08:19   #31
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
I just stumbled into this thread, seems I've missed a good one plus a trip down memory lane.
The very first pistol I ever bought was an Erma .22 Luger with both the long barrel with forearm and the standard short barrel. $175 was a lot for a 17 year old to come up with but I managed it somehow.
The short barrel didn't work for shit but the long one was reliable. Sold it to my cousin years later, no idea if he still has it.
Old March 17, 2020, 15:11   #32
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

[QUOTE=parallaxbill;4854665]My first pistol that I actually purchased by myself was a Ruger MKI, 6,7/8" heavy tapered barrel in 1978. I traded it years ago for something else but have since replaced in with a minty 1964 MKI. /QUOTE]

Do you know when Ruger started production of that first model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
I just stumbled into this thread, seems I've missed a good one plus a trip down memory lane.
The very first pistol I ever bought was an Erma .22 Luger with both the long barrel with forearm and the standard short barrel. $175 was a lot for a 17 year old to come up with but I managed it somehow.
The short barrel didn't work for shit but the long one was reliable. Sold it to my cousin years later, no idea if he still has it.

Did those Erma pistols have a similar toggle operation as that on the Stoeger hk? And I wonder why the longer barrel worked so much better? That's very interesting!

– Harry Truman

Old March 18, 2020, 23:28   #33
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

The first Ruger MKI standard model was released in 1949.

6.5 Grendel AR15
Old March 19, 2020, 08:13   #34
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
The first Ruger pistols were Standard models. The Ruger MK1 and subsequent MK's came later.
Old March 19, 2020, 08:41   #35
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallaxbill View Post
The first Ruger MKI standard model was released in 1949.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
The first Ruger pistols were Standard models. The Ruger MK1 and subsequent MK's came later.
Thanks for the info gents!

– Harry Truman

Old March 23, 2020, 08:35   #36
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Beautiful pistol with lots of history.......How log did it take to balance that for photo?
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2020, 08:43   #37
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01BIRDDOG View Post
Beautiful pistol with lots of history.......How log did it take to balance that for photo?
Thanks brother!
It took a couple tries at least.

– Harry Truman

Old March 23, 2020, 13:34   #38
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

Great pics, btw! Well done!

6.5 Grendel AR15
Old March 23, 2020, 19:06   #39
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallaxbill View Post
Great pics, btw! Well done!
Thanks ParallaxBill! Ya gotta love digital photography; take five dozen pics to get a few good shots.

– Harry Truman