The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Economics & Investing

Notices

Old October 20, 2019, 11:08   #1
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Question for those educated about Bitcoin.

There is an app for phones that connect to a financial database at CNBC.
It has a cryptocurrency section that shows the current dollar exchange rate for crypto’s. Some of you are prolly familiar with it.

On the crypto page are listed three or four Bitcoin entries.
The current exchange rate is sometimes close in values, but never identical, and sometimes quite a bit different.
I assume that the entries are for different Bitcoin ‘exchanges’.

Am I correct in that assumption and why is the dollar exchange rate different across the various exchanges?

Thanks in advance.

The truth does not require your belief.

"Fracking involves a two-phase combustion process: the first phase burns borrowed money to produce oil and gas; the second burns the oil and the gas." Dmitri Orlov
Exit308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 18:46   #2
Highground
Registered

FALaholic #: 12919
Not a user of cryptos but very likely since the buy/sell goes through their version of a brokerage house there is some type of commission fee. If you sell to them then as in most house transactions you sell to them at a lower price than the "buy", some call it the "spread" and may also invoke a commission or trade charge.

I just stick to metals.
Highground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2019, 11:08   #3
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Like all the Wall St Brokerage Houses and Hedge Fund managers..................they make all the profits, seconds before you ever hear about some sort of profit potential coming to light.

The big boys are using bitcoin to cover political payoffs, and other illegal activities and making a bit of a profit from the little guys who think that they can beat the system.

Think that China is not playing the game?
Currency traders have existed for years.

Real Estate deals, distress sales, insider trading, are the hallmarks of big cash and corruption.
As is said a man's labor is worth fair payment.
An insider or Wall St guy who makes money off you while you sleep and leaves you no richer by day, is a thief, not a laborer.

Jesus had a thing about the money changers, not the laborers; it is said that it is easier in the afterlife for an elephant to pass thru the eye of a needle, than for a corrupt rich man to enter into the kingdom of heaven. Most of them, like very very rich, dead Epstein, prefer hell anyway.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2019, 15:23   #4
bubbagump
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:
Originally Posted by V guy View Post
Like all the Wall St Brokerage Houses and Hedge Fund managers..................they make all the profits, seconds before you ever hear about some sort of profit potential coming to light.

The big boys are using bitcoin to cover political payoffs, and other illegal activities and making a bit of a profit from the little guys who think that they can beat the system.
You don't 'beat' the system. You work it. Personally I'm ok with the big boys making the big $$, the small $$ are plenty big enough for me.

To the original question, the exchange rate is different across different exchanges because they are different exchanges. It may help to understand that the quoted 'exchange rate' is normally listed as the rate for the latest transaction. And to appreciate what that really means ya need to understand how the floor works. There are commonly three prices involved, 'bid', 'ask' and 'last'. 'Bid' is what a potential buyer is offering, 'Ask' is what a potential seller is advertising, and 'last' is what the last transaction completed at.

To be honest buying bitcoin is a lot like buying gold, except without the gold. Doesn't make it useless, but it's not what bitcoin is for.
bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2019, 21:02   #5
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Short version

raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2019, 18:44   #6
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
I'm too dum to understand bitcoin, so I would want to know about who is making the equipment or generating the electricity to mine it. Kind of like I don't want a bunch of missiles, but I might want some Raytheon.

Last edited by Mebsuta; November 28, 2019 at 19:17.
Mebsuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 17:24   #7
bubbagump
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
I'm too dum to understand bitcoin, so I would want to know about who is making the equipment or generating the electricity to mine it. Kind of like I don't want a bunch of missiles, but I might want some Raytheon.
My understanding is the Chinese have pretty much cornered the mining and blockchain validation activities at the moment. Power costs are the big thing right now, unless you have access to free power it is not cost effective to do right now, not even with dedicated mining machines.
bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 18:29   #8
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
My understanding is the Chinese have pretty much cornered the mining and blockchain validation activities at the moment. Power costs are the big thing right now, unless you have access to free power it is not cost effective to do right now, not even with dedicated mining machines.
That's the way I have understood it. The capital to get it at this point in time is real with respect to hardware and power consumption. Some large state enterprise in China with extra blockchain capacity on a supercomputer used in surveillance and stuff can just be shifted to mining.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 20:06   #9
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Thanks. I will leave it for the Chinese and the Dark Webbies.