Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old November 09, 2019, 18:30   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Reloading Primers

Have played off and on with reloading rim fire ammo since in my early teens. During Sandy Hook even though I had over a quarter million rounds of assorted 22 rim fire and no need to fool with it again pulled out one of my kits and played with it again. While I was able to send rounds down range using one of the popular kits never got 100% reliable ignition but always would get 90% function and discovered better to use reloaded rim fire in bolt actions as can reindex round in chamber if doesn't ignite and give it another try or two usually finding a spot on rim that will ignite.

Learned custom rifles with super light titanium firing pins were not my friend and bought up some "heavy" steel firing pins for my Ruger 10/22s and heavy springs for extreme cold weather use. In my life have managed to buy two spare 77/22 spare firing pins and neither were cheap as Ruger will not sell them. Have to send in complete rifle for firing pin replacement. That said discovered using using a Volquartzen Sure Strike firing pin with Power Custom spring or Kidd heavy steel pin with spring kit to eliminate light strikes.

Over past year have been playing with using cast bullets from gas check molds to simulate a heel and trying to work up a heavier and accurate subsonic load than the Aguila Sniper Subsonic round I use on varmints more than any other round. Loading in 22 short cases am having best results with N.O.E. 61 grain round nose, 67 grain truncated cone Saeco 63 grain plus a few others but thus far not really done much that warrants the effort over using Aguila 60 grain Sniper Subsonic but hopefully the set of CH4D dies for use in a standard press have coming will help over using the cheap hand press.

While doing this project reading info on priming compound saying good for reloading all cartridges, rim fire and percussion caps decided to try with Berdan primers as have no anvil to worry with.

Quote:
Prime any casing, anywhere, including muzzle loader caps, and have the ability to reprime any old primer. No more need for strike anywhere matches or kids' snap caps.
Loads approximately 2000 rounds (22lr).
20 Year Shelf Life!
My first issue to overcome after forming the right punch to remove dent and not change other dimensions. Then learned ultrasonic was best way to clean the used primers and went to dropping priming compound using the eye dropper supplied in kit. Ended up with primers that were about as consistent as mixing large pistol, large pistol magnum, large rifle and large rifle magnum in a bag and mixing them up. The eye dropper was not working for consistent volume of charging. Use pipets to mix wife's bone medicine then draw the small doses required as even with smallest syringe can't get proper resolution. Her bone doctor and our compounding pharmacy helped me a lot as some med have to be used inside of a few hours of mixing. Now have a full range of fixed volume and adjustable volume pipets.

Also learned there is variation between batches if mix one of the Prime All primer packages at a time. Purchased six packages and blended each component well so now if weigh up a batch accurately of each component on my electronic scientific scale get a very consistent priming compound from batch to batch and once determined proper amount of priming compound to use in each primer, rim fire case, etc the pipets deliver a charge that is accurate enough for developing medications in a labratory environment. Is this project of any real value considering the cost to get tooled up properly and time involved?

Not yet but my quality is improving and next Sandy Hook will be pulling all the buckets of Berdan cases out and making primers if unable to buy and my huge hoard runs low. Hope to eventually get consistent enough that for keeping 45 acp, 308 and rim fire guns running with cast or swaged bullets. Even have info on making, sizing and charges for black powder in rim fire now which will be my next project. Don't blow your fingers off playing with priming compound...
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2019, 20:49   #2
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
been done for decades with match head tips in Europe. elsewhere

I started messing with it in high school to get Spencers to run
there are old potassium chlorate based priming compounds
most early ones were fulminates

powdered glass helps with increasing media sensitivity

I just used a camel hair paint brush
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2019, 22:12   #3
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
You have WAY too much time on your hands Sir.

How do you find it with all you type?

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2019, 08:28   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Raider View Post
You have WAY too much time on your hands Sir.

How do you find it with all you type?
Type 65 wpm. Unfortunately I type faster than I am able to think many times. Have actually been reading a lot on making nitrocellulose powders. The simplified idea of making nitroglycerin (done it before without dying) then coating the nitrocellulose while keeping wet with water then drying like tobacco seems like fun. Talking wife into buying one of those prebuilt storage sheds at Lowe's to sit on a concrete pad for this experiment as far from house as possible. Always had this desire to be 100% self sufficient which came from my grandmother.

She always had at least two years food, enough seeds to plant vegetable garden for at least two seasons and used seeds that were not genetically modified so whatever grew would produce the next year's seed. She kept a Winchester 30-30, over and under 28 gauge for quail and other game birds and a 22 bolt action with enough ammunition to boggle a kids brain. Raised her own chickens, cows and even a hog on occasion though usually bought a half side of hog from neighbor. She spent most of her time planting, canning, butchering and freezing food. Had two huge freezers and pantry size of many bedrooms full of vegitables she had put up. Lived on well water and had generator for when power went down.

The Great Depression impacted her greatly and she passed that on to my mom and my dad had it passed down to him from his family. Dad heated our house with wood even though there was a latest technology heat pump cold just flip a switch. He always had his winters wood put back the year before and what he was cutting and splitting was for the following year. Parents were same as grandmother when came to stockpiling food. I find it sad that the average American household doesn't have three days food and water.

Recently grocery store had super sale on toilet paper we use. Brought home 120 rolls and wife got a little upset considering how much was already put back. Told her to keep up with how many rolls/packs went through before sale ended in two weeks. Last day of sale she told me to buy whatever store had left but only had 80 rolls left at sale price but got a raincheck on another 80 rolls. A female without toilet paper is miserable. Rather not be trying to figure out how to convert trees to paper soft enough to wipe my @$$.

As to time, I don't watch television. Especially sports which I feel are total waste of time except Le Tour de France, Vuelta E Espania and Giro d’Italia which usually watch while at the reloading bench or electronics hobby/repair benches. Really like to talk to locals over ham radio getting scoop on those races via ham radio which keeps my skills and contacts up.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote