Notices

Old November 26, 2019, 11:26   #1
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Massachusetts State Police using Boston Dynamics Spot Robot Dog

via GIPHY

According to the article (https://www.wbur.org/news/2019/11/25...s-state-police), it has already been used in 2 operations. Police seems to be concerned that the public at large might freak out, which is one of the reasons they stated they never weaponized any of its robots.

raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2019, 12:54   #2
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
So after all the discussions saying that an AR-15 is superior to a shotgun for home defense,

Have we finally found a use for the 12 gauge combat shotgun?
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2019, 13:19   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
It's vision is what will make it useless in my opinion.
Bawana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2019, 13:57   #4
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2019, 14:51   #5
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
What do they think a robot is IMO the robot is a weapon on it's own even if it does not have any firearm type weapons on it.

ITS directed to do what one Massachusetts storm trooper leos tell it to do it's a bloody weapon.
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2019, 15:22   #6
2barearms
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Dupe...

https://www.falfiles.com/forums/show...d.php?t=447298

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2019, 07:05   #7
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
These will be soon patrolling the gates of our Governor and AG's homes here in MA who banned every semi auto they could. But their robots will have AA-12s and FN240s on them.

Old November 27, 2019, 08:53   #8
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post

via GIPHY

According to the article (https://www.wbur.org/news/2019/11/25...s-state-police), it has already been used in 2 operations. Police seems to be concerned that the public at large might freak out, which is one of the reasons they stated they never weaponized any of its robots.

Is it a capital offense if you shoot a robotic police dog?

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2019, 11:05   #9
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Wouldn't a foam or chemical spraying fire extinguisher/device immobilize a robot? What about electricity or flames (where applicable)? What a about a cast net/ cast net launching device? Flare guns?

Obviously a shotgun or other firearm when needed. I'm just asking about alternate effectiveness.

Jarhead
Old November 27, 2019, 15:41   #10
Wil-C
Registered

FALaholic #: 17357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
Wouldn't a foam or chemical spraying fire extinguisher/device immobilize a robot? What about electricity or flames (where applicable)? What a about a cast net/ cast net launching device? Flare guns?

Obviously a shotgun or other firearm when needed. I'm just asking about alternate effectiveness.

Jarhead
how do they see, hear, etc. sensors can be disabled or defeated. if they're weaponized, explosive, firearm, etc, disable at distance ie: mobility. A fence around your house, can mechanical poochie climb it or jump it?
Old November 27, 2019, 16:46   #11
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil-C View Post
how do they see, hear, etc. sensors can be disabled or defeated. if they're weaponized, explosive, firearm, etc, disable at distance ie: mobility. A fence around your house, can mechanical poochie climb it or jump it?
Folks will figure out how to defeat these robots.
Old November 27, 2019, 18:16   #12
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I wonder how well they'd work with a blanket of chain-link fence tossed over their top side....maybe add some extra cables and grapnel hooks for fun....
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2019, 18:58   #13
Bawana jim
Registered

I wonder if you hooked up a strong capacitor to the door handle if you could run a current through the little doggie
Old November 28, 2019, 06:05   #14
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
But, if they are owned by .gov they must be unhackable!

Quote:
I wonder if you hooked up a strong capacitor to the door handle if you could run a current through the little doggie
I was thinking more like EMP
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2019, 11:10   #15
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
But, if they are owned by .gov they must be unhackable!

I was thinking more like EMP
It being government property you would have to protect yourself from jail for damage. However if they have sent their pet doggie to get you then you are going to jail.
Old December 05, 2019, 13:34   #16
Wil-C
Registered

Quote:
first thing comes to mind, expanding spray foam insulation. Nice & sticky, over audio / visual sensors. Tinkertoy poochie opens that door and comes in, phhhffft.

won't be long before those things carry either gas grenade or flashbang grenade.
Old December 05, 2019, 14:07   #17
Archilochus
Registered

FALaholic #: 75708
Quote:
won't be long before those things carry either gas grenade or flashbang grenade.
True - other than video recon, there's not really any other use for the things than weapons carriers.

I think someone needs to start developing counter-robot robots.
Old December 05, 2019, 15:13   #18
Romul
Banned - Nigerian IP address

FALaholic #: 82193
They still like bones and all the things a dog would like right....A kid can play fetch with them or something.
Romul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2019, 01:00   #19
Wil-C
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilochus View Post
True - other than video recon, there's not really any other use for the things than weapons carriers.

I think someone needs to start developing counter-robot robots.
for something like those? already exists. Watched the robot battle thing a time or two and one particular robot stands out in my memory. was a simple robot with basically a lawnmower blade driven by a belt or chain, set to spin horizontally. it was mounted in the front of the robot and didnt look like a particularly complicated setup.

damn thing tore the hell out of just about everything it faced. robot after robot and whatever combination the other robots had, didn't make a difference. the blade had torque enough for the robot to simply close in and start ripping the other robot apart. one of those would make quick work of those mechanical poochies, and could do so at distance. those legs? likely carbon fiber or aluminum, ditto for the neck portion. wouldn't last a minute with that lawnmower blade robot ripping it apart. It was fast enough where it could catch those toy poochies quite easily.
I wish I could remember the name of that robot but in thinking about this, that robot would be easily built and make short work of the mechanical poochies.

Last edited by Wil-C; December 06, 2019 at 01:08.
Wil-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2019, 15:00   #20
Archilochus
Registered

FALaholic #: 75708
Now I have another new project. Will have to try and find info on that.

Quote:
for something like those? already exists. Watched the robot battle thing a time or two and one particular robot stands out in my memory. was a simple robot with basically a lawnmower blade driven by a belt or chain, set to spin horizontally. it was mounted in the front of the robot and didnt look like a particularly complicated setup.

damn thing tore the hell out of just about everything it faced. robot after robot and whatever combination the other robots had, didn't make a difference. the blade had torque enough for the robot to simply close in and start ripping the other robot apart. one of those would make quick work of those mechanical poochies, and could do so at distance. those legs? likely carbon fiber or aluminum, ditto for the neck portion. wouldn't last a minute with that lawnmower blade robot ripping it apart. It was fast enough where it could catch those toy poochies quite easily.
I wish I could remember the name of that robot but in thinking about this, that robot would be easily built and make short work of the mechanical poochies.