Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old May 21, 2019, 13:37   #1
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
KY bull elk draw....well crap

Once again, after 10 years of applying, I was "not successful" in the KY bull elk hunt lottery.

Yes I can go out west and do this, but dammit I want to do it here in my home state at least once.
Old May 21, 2019, 14:55   #2
Atla
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79587
Whew... what do they do? 25 tags total?

Seems like I looked at that last year.

I'm in my second year of putting in for a Maine Moose. And I put in for a Super Tag in Wyoming. That's the extent of my big game drawings for this year.

But man, ten years.... You probably got beat out by a newcomer with zero points.
Atla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019, 21:33   #3
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Yeah, I feel your pain. California elk tags are 1/1000+ odds. I've gotten so disillusioned with hunting in California that I quit applying here years ago. Fugg this state.

I've hunted elk 19 of the past 23 years in Colorado. I've gotten tags every year that I've applied, and mule deer tags every third year. Not going to make it this year due to a back injury. But, I plan to be back on the hill next year.
Old May 21, 2019, 23:29   #4
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
Yeah, I feel your pain. California elk tags are 1/1000+ odds. I've gotten so disillusioned with hunting in California that I quit applying here years ago. Fugg this state.
I spent 6 years in Calaveras county. California has the most screwed up hunting seasons known to man, Horrible draw odds and ridiculous paperwork to hunt.
Having hunted all over the country, and now living in Northern Idaho I feel as if those years of buying Cali tags was a personal insult.
Old May 23, 2019, 07:15   #5
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Once again, after 10 years of applying, I was "not successful" in the KY bull elk hunt lottery.

Yes I can go out west and do this, but dammit I want to do it here in my home state at least once.
Maybe you should consider getting a non-resident Virginia hunting license and Big Game 'stamp' and bagging your Ky elk in Virginia. The elk have been migrating into Virginia for years to the chagrin of Ky.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019, 08:45   #6
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Did you really expect that you would get drawn?

Here's a few tidbits for you that you probably weren't aware of.

I live in the extreme southeast part of the state.

Which is exactly where the state had started the elk program.

You're not missing out anything by not getting drawn. matter of fact, they did you a favor and you didn't even know it.

The state, in their almighty wisdom gathered up over 200 elk and moved them to Bell County across the bridge to nowhere.

OK. That's not exactly true anymore. They got a huge grant to make an animal sanctuary and refuge and habitat. So it goes somewhere now.

So, guess how many people are going to kill elk this year, or anytime in the next few years?

Unless you have lucrative state contracts or are friends with politicians, or a TV "hunter" that will bring up money to the state for licenses, nobody. Yes, that has happened a lot during Beshears administration.

We had a healthy herd of 11 elk that used to frequent our property. They weren't hunted. They weren't bothered.

Now, after the state has tracked and recaptured the elk and moved them again, we have not seen a single elk in over a year.

Here's a few tidbits for you.

https://kentucky.gov/Pages/Activity-...dlife&prId=245

http://www.appalachianwildlife.com/aboutus.html

Video in link:
https://www.wymt.com/content/news/Ap...509619911.html

And some of my trail camera pictures. I had a bunch of pictures, but these were already uploaded to imgur

John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019, 17:39   #7
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Read a lot of complaints about the dismal odds of getting a KY elk permit on a couple of forums. You are not alone.....lets say.

John is spot on I think in the elk license outlook.....

KY does not use a "points" system as far as I know.
Old May 23, 2019, 17:48   #8
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Nope, KY does not use points, and thanks Jon for the info on KY. It is only $10 or $20 to apply with the Sportsman License purchase so I do it every year and suppose I will keep doing so.

We have property in WY that is loaded with elk where I have a 90%+ chance of getting a draw if I want to do so. We usually only go there in the summer however. Waist deep snow and freezing temps with wind is just not "my thing". I'm not saying I won't do it, but the idea of bagging an elk in KY has more appeal to me personally.
Old May 23, 2019, 18:01   #9
John A
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydah View Post
Maybe you should consider getting a non-resident Virginia hunting license and Big Game 'stamp' and bagging your Ky elk in Virginia. The elk have been migrating into Virginia for years to the chagrin of Ky.
Yeah, KY has gotten a lot of overflow from the black bears from VA too.

KY swears they never turned any loose. Says it's all Va's fault.

yet, KY covets the bears and protects them like endangered species.
Old May 24, 2019, 06:11   #10
Whydah
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post

Likely true. Lots of BBs in Virginia now. Had four beneath one of our pear trees early one morning.

Virginia has gotten into the elk business, too, likely from what Ky was doing. Here's a snippet from their fish & game site. Your odds may be better here.
"The taking of an elk counts toward a hunterís daily and seasonal bag limits for deer.
An animal with antlers above the hairline counts toward a hunterís either-sex (buck) deer limit.
An animal without antlers counts toward a hunterís daily and seasonal antlerless deer limit."
Old May 24, 2019, 08:27   #11
John A
Registered

VA probably got into it for the same reason that KY did.

The simple and logical answer is that there was money in it for them.

Quote:
"The majority of the funding came from the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation along with the Ho-Chunk Nation, Jackson County Wildlife Fund, the Ojibwe tribes and other agencies, local businesses and individuals."
https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/wis...lete#gs.di5kgv
Old May 24, 2019, 09:57   #12
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I was drawn once in 14 years in AZ, and I did get a nice Bull Elk. My wife got drawn 3 times in 5 years, but she had a shitty guide and never got her Elk.
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2019, 11:49   #13
Whydah
Registered

Quote:
VA probably got into it for the same reason that KY did.

The simple and logical answer is that there was money in it for them.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/wis...lete#gs.di5kgv
You can bet someone saw those $$$ signs. But its not the first foray by the state into the elk business. About 60 years ago they attempted to stock elk in the Virginia Highlands and several of the more mountainous counties. A few elk, however, can totally destroy a corn field overnight. Elk began to mysteriously disappear, and that was the end of that.
Old May 28, 2019, 14:01   #14
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
Quote:

Ive seen a few elk and black bear on my property near Buckhorn Lake. Not as many lately. I heard they were going to start a bear season.
Old June 07, 2019, 17:09   #15
Dirt1042
Registered

FALaholic #: 21859
Quote:
Did you really expect that you would get drawn?

Here's a few tidbits for you that you probably weren't aware of.

I live in the extreme southeast part of the state.

Which is exactly where the state had started the elk program.

You're not missing out anything by not getting drawn. matter of fact, they did you a favor and you didn't even know it.

The state, in their almighty wisdom gathered up over 200 elk and moved them to Bell County across the bridge to nowhere.

OK. That's not exactly true anymore. They got a huge grant to make an animal sanctuary and refuge and habitat. So it goes somewhere now.

So, guess how many people are going to kill elk this year, or anytime in the next few years?

Unless you have lucrative state contracts or are friends with politicians, or a TV "hunter" that will bring up money to the state for licenses, nobody. Yes, that has happened a lot during Beshears administration.

We had a healthy herd of 11 elk that used to frequent our property. They weren't hunted. They weren't bothered.

Now, after the state has tracked and recaptured the elk and moved them again, we have not seen a single elk in over a year.

Here's a few tidbits for you.

https://kentucky.gov/Pages/Activity-...dlife&prId=245

http://www.appalachianwildlife.com/aboutus.html

Video in link:
https://www.wymt.com/content/news/Ap...509619911.html

And some of my trail camera pictures. I had a bunch of pictures, but these were already uploaded to imgur

They look really skinny