The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old March 05, 2020, 15:41   #1
Tip_drill
Registered

FALaholic #: 82930
Gunsmith question?

Is there a way for an average Joe with out any sophisticated tools to ream out an M14 standard flash suppressor to N.M specs?

I have the correct sized reamer , but obviously no lathe .

I also have access to a dreamel tool.

Is the gain in accuracy firing mostly surplus ball worth the trouble?

https://pasteboard.co/IXJYJpB.jpg

Last edited by Tip_drill; March 05, 2020 at 16:23.
Tip_drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 06, 2020, 06:57   #2
HD-Ghost
Registered

FALaholic #: 68541
Flash suppressor

Reaming out the FS has been given a number of reasons over the years. When I was in the AMU, it was explained to us that the purpose of reaming out the FS was because of shooting in the rain. With water accumulating in the grooves of the FS, this would negatively affect the bullet as it exited from the muzzle. The idea of opening up the FS was to make the water less restrictive on the bullet as it passed thru the FS.
HD-Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 06, 2020, 08:31   #3
Tip_drill
Registered

Thanks bro!

I suspected it would not give me much benefit.. but since I bought a NM gas cylinder with the barrel band welded on to the gas cylinder I figured it couldn’t hurt... I’m going to paint my rifle in a desert camo pattern once I accumulate all the parts, so now was the time to ream the flash hider

I figured out how to do it with out a lathe..yesterday afternoon I got most of the work done..., it is definitely made of some kind of tool steel.

Last edited by Tip_drill; March 06, 2020 at 08:44.
Old March 06, 2020, 10:43   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Know you said already making progress but if have access to a drill press their is an easy way to do and end up with work properly centered and consistent. Put you flash hider in the drills chuck even if have to use a bolt with correct thread pattern and head cut off to hold the flash hider. Then chuck the reamer in the drill presses vice, align best you can by eye and drop flash hider into the reamer.

If had even a few thousandths of error in indexing because your turning the flash hider rather than the reamer the new "hole" will be near perfectly centered to within accuracy and wear of bearings in the actual machine. This is basically turning a drill press or mill into a mini lathe for small jobs.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 06, 2020, 14:13   #5
Tip_drill
Registered

^^ thanks man.. I may use this method to do a final pass to clean it up.. I donít have a drill press, a kind neighbor has offered to let me use his garage that has some basic metalworking tools in it.