The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old December 07, 2019, 16:39   #1
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Talk me into/out of .357 SIG

I have a few .40 S&W pistolas and I could drop a “conversion” barrel in one for a quick and cheap .357 swap. Yes? No? Too much time on my hands? Why don’t I already have one, don’t I know what I am missing? No point to it with a good 10mm semi-auto and several Magnum revolvers in .357, .41, .44, & .480 sitting in the safe?

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2019, 17:02   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I can't talk you out of one. It's a hotrod round that shoots relatively soft for its classification as a special threat round in the armor world. It will smoke a NIJ3a vest without a good trauma panel. Have a SIG 1911 and a SIG double stack SA/DA pistol in 357 SIG and will likely be till death do we part pistols.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2019, 17:27   #3
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
So-called “drop-in” barrels don’t always function properly.

I bought exactly ONE so-called “drop-in” 9mm barrel from AIM.
What a piece of shit. Jammed constantly on a full-size Glock.40 frame.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2019, 19:05   #4
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
It's a good round balistically and seem to run well in the guns made for them. I am no fan of bottle neck cases in handguns but then I have never owned a 357 sig to see if I like them. I tried the 44 40 and split case necks too many times. Good luck and let us know how things worked out.
Bawana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2019, 19:18   #5
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
I dropped a .357Sig into my .40 Sig 229 and it shot and functioned fine!
Old December 07, 2019, 19:32   #6
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

This has been my experience as well.
Seemed every Glock drop in barrel I used was unreliable.
Probably why I have so many damn Glocks now!
Old December 07, 2019, 19:39   #7
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Sounds expensive to shoot. But ignore me. I only have 3 pistol calibers and 2 rifle except for the 30-30 and the 22 I've had since I was a kid.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2019, 19:57   #8
OMCHamlin
Registered

FALaholic #: 15205
I'm way more a proponent of the .357 Sig, since I picked up a G32C a year or two ago. A Gen 3, it is smooth shooting and has the most effective compensation function I have ever used.
Since then, I found a G35 Gen 3 and have purchased a KKM 357 Sig & a KKM 9mm conversion barrel for it, along with a used set of Dawson Precision adjustable night sights, and man, what a nice shooting, versatile pistol that has turned out to be. No issues with either barrel, not one, not once.
Target Sports USA has $16.99 FMJ & $23.99 JHP ammo for the caliber, and frankly, that's not a bad price, comparable to 9mm in some mom & pop shops, but with a little more bite, so to speak. Maybe not quite a full on 357 Magnum load, but close, and close enough for me.

I vote go for it!
OMCHamlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2019, 20:41   #9
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Quote:

Agreed. I always prefer a dedicated model rather than a conversion barrel of any kind, but especially when it comes to something I’ll ccw.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2019, 20:51   #10
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
.357Sig is a good round. If you like .357 mag then the Sig makes similar performance with a 125 JHP. I never understood exactly why the round never took off as it beats most popular rounds in all areas.
My only dig is it's pretty snappy to shoot, depending on the gun. I've fired it in Glock and HK and both were pretty snappy, not conducive to accurate double taps. I'd think in a 1911 or CZ type it would be a pussy cat to shoot and really be an azz kicking CCW.
If the OP is looking for it in a Sig then IMHO there is no better round for CCW.
Old December 07, 2019, 20:55   #11
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
In regard to some earlier posts.......if you have a factory .40 S&W gun and put a .357 Sig barrel in it, how is that considered a "conversion"? It's not.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2019, 21:21   #12
OMCHamlin
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
In regard to some earlier posts.......if you have a factory .40 S&W gun and put a .357 Sig barrel in it, how is that considered a "conversion"? It's not.
Explain?
Old December 07, 2019, 21:38   #13
ammolab
Registered

FALaholic #: 10923
Quote:

The breech face, extractor and ejector on a 40 slide are not proper for the smaller diameter case head of the 9mm round...why would anyone think this would work?

357 SiG and 40 case head dimensions are same-same.
ammolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2019, 21:53   #14
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Nothing against it,,,Just never found much use for it.
I've always preferred John Brownings 1929 American answer to the velocity quest.
The 38 Super +P is only around 100fps slower with a 125gr bullet at 1,350fps out of a govt model 1911....and no bottle neck cartridge to mess with.
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2019, 22:34   #15
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
This has been my experience as well.
Seemed every Glock drop in barrel I used was unreliable.
Probably why I have so many damn Glocks now!
I have.... Over half a dozen lone wolf conversion barrels, and have taken a G23 with a 9mm barrel through a Ton Givens/Rangemaster class and always found them reliable.

And yes, I have .357 sig barrels also.Aug

Buddy of mine also has several, with similar results.

What barrels are you using?
Old December 07, 2019, 22:42   #16
OMCHamlin
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammolab View Post
The breech face, extractor and ejector on a 40 slide are not proper for the smaller diameter case head of the 9mm round...why would anyone think this would work?

357 SiG and 40 case head dimensions are same-same.
I don't know, cause it does?
Old December 08, 2019, 00:32   #17
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
My Sig conversions,,,,Glock 40 to 357 Sig have all worked perfectly.

124/125 JHP's running max around 1450 FPS out of a converted Model 22 with a lone wolf barrel only.

Its my everyday carry with 1000's down range,,,never one single issue.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2019, 01:49   #18
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
My Sig conversions,,,,Glock 40 to 357 Sig have all worked perfectly.

124/125 JHP's running max around 1450 FPS out of a converted Model 22 with a lone wolf barrel only.

Its my everyday carry with 1000's down range,,,never one single issue.
Right, because its not a conversion in the sense that a. 40 to 9mm barrel is. Everything is the same, except for the bore diameter.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2019, 05:16   #19
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
I remember when the .357 Sig cartridge was introduced back in the spring of 1994 in the P229. In 1995 I bought a new P229 chambered for the .357 and every round of Federal ammunition I could find.

I set up my chronograph and fired both the 125 grain JHP and FMJ loads to see if they were up to the advertised 1350 fps rating. Both loads barely gave 1300 fps in the 3.86 inch barrel. But then ammo factories always fudge on performance figures.

I bought a set of RCBS dies and a Redding Profile Crimp Die and went to work. There wasn't any published loading data available but that never stopped me from working up my own. Using Hornady 124 grain XTP bullets and AA#7 I was getting 1350 fps per my chronograph.

When SigArms announced that they were going to offer P229 barrels in .357 and .40 S&W I ordered the .40 barrel. It fit perfectly and the P229 shot to point of aim at 50 feet using WWB 180 grain FMJ.

Almost 25 years later I still have the P229 and shoot it with both barrels. Maybe I got lucky and got a good one.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2019, 06:19   #20
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
I’ve got a Glock G35 that I have a Lonewolf 9mm barrel for that I’ve put thousands of rounds though with out any issues.

I like the 357 Sig however I use a Dillon SDB to reload my pistol ammo and it doesn’t do bottle neck rounds.

It is one of a handful of pistol rounds that will defeat soft body armor.

I saw go for it
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2019, 08:39   #21
K. Funk
Retired Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
The only reason I have one is because I picked up a brand new Glock 35 at auction really cheap. I guess no one wanted an oddball caliber. I couldn't resist trying it and fell in love with it. I am a general Glock hater (only because I read that I should), but this one did grow on me. I bought the dies, components and several thousand cases, so I guess I am in.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2019, 10:04   #22
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Nothing against it,,,Just never found much use for it.
I've always preferred John Brownings 1929 American answer to the velocity quest.
The 38 Super +P is only around 100fps slower with a 125gr bullet at 1,350fps out of a govt model 1911....and no bottle neck cartridge to mess with.
And then there is that wimpy underpowered cartridge, 7.62x25 Tokarev.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2019, 11:59   #23
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Thanks for the replies. Reading them got me to thinking, and remembering. I have a really nice Colt 1911 in 9X23 (and selection of ammo) that I have never shot*. Maybe I ought to use stuff I already have?

*Actually, I have shot the hell out of it with a 9mm Luger barrel. Just never with the original 9X23 barrel or ammo.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2019, 13:30   #24
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
I remember when the .357 Sig cartridge was introduced back in the spring of 1994 in the P229. In 1995 I bought a new P229 chambered for the .357 and every round of Federal ammunition I could find.

I set up my chronograph and fired both the 125 grain JHP and FMJ loads to see if they were up to the advertised 1350 fps rating. Both loads barely gave 1300 fps in the 3.86 inch barrel. But then ammo factories always fudge on performance figures.

I bought a set of RCBS dies and a Redding Profile Crimp Die and went to work. There wasn't any published loading data available but that never stopped me from working up my own. Using Hornady 124 grain XTP bullets and AA#7 I was getting 1350 fps per my chronograph.

When SigArms announced that they were going to offer P229 barrels in .357 and .40 S&W I ordered the .40 barrel. It fit perfectly and the P229 shot to point of aim at 50 feet using WWB 180 grain FMJ.

Almost 25 years later I still have the P229 and shoot it with both barrels. Maybe I got lucky and got a good one.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Like you,,,,I load all of my own 357 Sig ammo,,,,but,,,,I NEVER bother to pick up my spent brass.

With what I pack in this ammo,,,,to get the most out of my EDC rounds,,,the brass does not do well,,,shall I say, after just one firing.

Old December 08, 2019, 13:51   #25
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

If buy SIG pistols and SIG made drop in barrels cartridge changes have been 100% reliable for me. Luckily have enough pistols in enought flavors the only caliber change kits I own were purchased out of curiosity or on deep discount. About two years ago CDNN had a ton of SIG factory parts from ambi safeties to caliber change kits and threaded Tacops barrels for less than what 1/2 of normal street price was. I purchased a pile of SIG barrels and other parts to support my SIG fleet.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old December 08, 2019, 14:40   #26
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
I'm personally a fan of standardization where possible. 22LR, 9MM, 45ACP, 556, 762, 30.06, and 12GA I buy in bulk and covers the vast majority of my shooting. Realistically, one or more of these calibers should do virtually any task I want done with a firearm.

Much lesser use, but I do have 357mag, 44mag, 220Swift, 30/30, and few other hunting calibers in turn-bolts, as well as the wife's Lady Smith in 38. This ammo gets bought a box or two at a time and I feel is especially appropriate for a few narrow, specific needs (such as the wife's Lady Smith) or collectiblility (Colt Anaconda/Pythons).

I have nothing against wildcat cartridges or chasing the latest craze (e.g. 6.5 Creedmore) if that suits your fancy or you feel it matches your needs. For me it simply adds confusion and/or complexity that I feel is unwarranted for me.

One specific caliber mix that worries me at times is when I see guys with ARs in both 556 and 300BO and the mags/rifles all mostly lumped together on a bench as I feel is is a recipe for disaster. I've never personally seen a BO fired in a 556 AR, but the potential for a mix-up is real and why I to to keep my own stuff more straightforward and standardizing.

YMMV.
Old December 08, 2019, 14:48   #27
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
I'm personally a fan of standardization where possible. 22LR, 9MM, 45ACP, 556, 762, 30.06, and 12GA I buy in bulk and covers the vast majority of my shooting. Realistically, one or more of these calibers should do virtually any task I want done with a firearm.

Much lesser use, but I do have 357mag, 44mag, 220Swift, 30/30, and few other hunting calibers in turn-bolts, as well as the wife's Lady Smith in 38. This ammo gets bought a box or two at a time and I feel is especially appropriate for a few narrow, specific needs (such as the wife's Lady Smith) or collectiblility (Colt Anaconda/Pythons).

I have nothing against wildcat cartridges or chasing the latest craze (e.g. 6.5 Creedmore) if that suits your fancy or you feel it matches your needs. For me it simply adds confusion and/or complexity that I feel is unwarranted for me.

One specific caliber mix that worries me at times is when I see guys with ARs in both 556 and 300BO and the mags/rifles all mostly lumped together on a bench as I feel is is a recipe for disaster. I've never personally seen a BO fired in a 556 AR, but the potential for a mix-up is real and why I to to keep my own stuff more straightforward and standardizing.

YMMV.
I carry a 357 Sig,,,,,BUT,,,,have in my get home bag,,,the capability to rely upon 9mm,,common as sin,,40SW,,,pretty common,,,and of course spare 357 Sig,,until it runs out,,,then fall back onto 9mm/40SW.

I love my 45's,,,but luv me more ammo/not running out of ammo,,, even better.

If just one hand gun,,,going to be in 9mm,,,for resupply along tha way.

Old December 08, 2019, 15:28   #28
DC
Registered

FALaholic #: 275
if I have to worry about resupply of pistol ammo, I've got lot bigger problems to worry about. In that situation, I'm quite sure there are going to be long guns around for the picking up of off the ground.

During the Great Ammo Shortage, .357 Sig was just about the only pistol caliber I could find on the shelf anywhere.

DC

"Disarmament Relies on Cooperation"

Socialism is the Superhighway to Tyranny
DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2019, 15:58   #29
Bawana jim
Registered

I don't know. I look at the 125 grain 9mm bullet and driving it to 1350 fp's and I don't see a big enough gain for the effort it takes to do it.
Old December 08, 2019, 16:17   #30
Delta-3
Registered

FALaholic #: 36449
Quote:
I will also add that 38 Super is cheaper in factory ammo form & MUCH easier to reload for.
Old December 08, 2019, 17:01   #31
longhair51
Constitutional curmudgeon
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5884
Those of you that reload 357 sig, do you have any problems with bullet/neck tension? There doesn't seem to be a lot of surface area compared to straight case calibers.

”if the federal government treats the American public with this degree of contempt when we’re armed to the teeth, imagine how they would treat us if they had all our guns."
longhair51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2019, 17:29   #32
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair51 View Post
Those of you that reload 357 sig, do you have any problems with bullet/neck tension? There doesn't seem to be a lot of surface area compared to straight case calibers.
I got in a large supply of Remington JHP's ages ago,,,,can't kind them anymore,,,this particular bullet, and they work great.

Montana Gold makes a good HP 357 Sig bullet.

Regular 9mm bullets,,,yea,,,not enough side wall in most I tried.

A Lee factory crimp helps.

Old December 08, 2019, 17:29   #33
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-3 View Post
I will also add that 38 Super is cheaper in factory ammo form & MUCH easier to reload for.
Ya but the boys don't make a 38 super in a Glock.
Old December 08, 2019, 18:08   #34
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
Along with owning the P229 in .357/.40 I have a little known handgun, the S&W Model 3566 chambered for the obscure and no longer produced .356 TSW cartridge.

The M3566 is a Performance Center piece with the 4.25 inch barrel and the double action trigger. Only Federal and CorBon produced the ammo. The Federal load was a 147 grain FMJ rated at 1220 fps. The Corbon was a 124 grain Gold Dot rated at 1450 fps. The .356 has a maximum operating pressure of 48,000 PSI which makes it a 9mm magnum level round. I chronographed the Federal load at 1211 fps which surprised me. It actually was up to spec. The CorBon did 1460 fps which did not surprise me because CorBon almost always delivers the rated velocity.

I worked up a load for the round using the Hornady 124 grain XTP and WAP powder. I get an honest 1425 fps with no signs of excess pressure. The .356 would make a good self defense load IMHO.

I lucked into a killer deal on Federal Ammo. A local dealer was going out of business and had almost 2000 rounds of the .356 on hand. I got it for only $9.00 per 50 round box. Pity that S&W killed the .356 as it was a fine cartridge IMHO.

Oh well, at least the .357 Sig is still in production. And I have a nice Colt 70 Series Mark IV .38 Super set up with a BarSto barrel and BoMar sights.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2019, 18:10   #35
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Ya but the boys don't make a 38 super in a Glock.
I’d absolutely love it if they did...

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2019, 18:26   #36
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

357 SIG versus 38 Super is a wash based on ammo selection. I have little to no issues with case life, feeding, neck tension, etc. I love my 38 Super 1911s but its easier for non reloaders tof buy 357 SIG off the shelf. Testing on real armor NIJ 2 will stop 9mm ball and NIJ 3 will stop any 9mm factory rounds I have tested. 357 SIG in a decent factory defensive load will always drill level 2 and usually punch level 3. Sometimes 100 to 200 feet per second is the extra velocity to cross set thresholds in armor, especially soft armor.

I was stunned first time I shot armor with 40 Smith. In right loads it performs eirely freakish but 10mm is a for sure soft armor shredder. I easily get 200 to 300 fps more out of 357 SIG than 9mm. When going into a security roll where am not allowed to have a rifle but odds a perp will I have a tendency to carry either my SIG Pro Hunter with red dot 1/3 cowitnessed to sights or a pair of 1911s in 10mm. Seeing what 10mm does to ballistics gell, actual meat with bones and soft body armor it ups my confidence to put a perpetual down fast. If allowed to keep a 6.8 SBR stashed at my station then carry one of my older IPSC 45s that has been totally refreshed with tritium sights for dim sanctuaris and totally rebuilt into a headshot capable pistol even in the largest sanctuaries and a 5" 1911 backup.

We get to the point of splitting hairs as modern defensive ammo has even made the 9mm a viable defensive weapon and thought I would never say that at one time. My Hi Power collection was only for collecting and 9mm was a subgun round where it's performance could be overcome by ability to spew a high volume of fire. Somehow most can find the right ammo and with practice make any cartridge gun makers still produce defemsive firearms for get the job done.