The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old January 03, 2020, 14:08   #1
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Can You Live a Feng Shui (uncluttered) Life And Still Be A Prepper?

Ok, can you live a feng shui, or uncluttered life and still be a prepper? This is a great enigma for me as I have been somewhat of a prepper since birth and more so since 1978. I love to work on projects and as an official Cajun and descendant of pioneers, I have been taught resourcefulness from my mother's lap. My parents were "Depression Era Children" and did not like to get rid of anything that they deemed could be useful in future. To make matters worse, my mother was heavily involved in "recycling" for the War Effort. In those days, nothing went to waste.

For me, it is hard to throw things away if I think I or someone else can use it in future. Consequently, my yard, house, shed, attic and elsewhere resemble Fred Sanford's place, only worser. In addition, I love to recycle, rebuild, renew bicycles which people put out in the trash around here monthly. The big problem is that our space is very limited. Compounding the problem for me was when my parent's died, my alcoholic brother and his stupid bitch wife insisted on throwing EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING my parents had amassed over their life times away. I tried to save as much as I could within the limits of my time, energy and storage space. When my electrician uncle died, I wound up with most of his tools and materials. When my father-in-law died, we wound up with most of his tools and materials.

I, and especially my Babyluv, would truly appreciate it if you guys could share how yall live the prepper life and still maintain an low clutter to no-clutter lifestyle, knowing that one day you are going to need stuff you will not be able to get. Babyluv is all about living with nothing and I am all about being ready for just about anything that might come our way.

All help is truly appreciated.

Jarhead
Old January 03, 2020, 15:29   #2
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
So the question is can you live with just what you need vs what you want? What would you need to survive? IMHO, first, knowledge. A lot of stuff we accumulate (at least stuff I accumulate is replaceable in the end of the day). When I moved states, I threw away 3/4 of everything I owned (I wish I had sold it all but I ran out of time). And had to get rid of a classic car I wish I had a way to keep it. After that car was gone I realized it is just stuff.

Knowledge is the most important asset to keep. If you have things but cannot use them and yet want to rely on having them as part of your prepping, your prepping plans have issues. There is a huge difference between collecting things for the sake of collecting/enjoyment and collecting things planning to use them later when such things might become useful to keep you not only alive but thriving.

But, I am not here to make fun of your collection. I too need to get to the point of the amount of stuff I an getting is less than the amount of stuff I am getting rid of. Others here have gone that route successfully.

People is hard to replace. Stuff is not.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2020, 16:38   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
I have fought with my wife since we were married about clutter in the house. The garage has some just because it's a garage and I keep all my stuff there. It would take me no more than an hour to get it straight. It would take a 10 yd dumpster to clean out all the junk in the closets and it's only been 3 years here.

I don't see what prepping is vs hoarding junk. Prepping is stuff that you will need like food, ammo and necessities. Papers, magazines, and books that have been read are high on my list for the trash.

Your best bet is to give her an uncluttered area where she hangs out. I have become resentful of the house with all the clutter. Decorations are clutter and my wife just piles up more junk. When I was single I was a minimalist when it came to stuff in the house. Less to clean and move when it's time to go. If something I have doesn't have a function it gets tossed.

I can see her point of view. Believe me.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2020, 17:01   #4
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Jarhead,,,,,,,,,,,you remind me of a dear friend local here,,,,he has everything and anything known to man on his place and was facing the same problem.

Sounds like he has more land than you do,,,,but he solved his problem with a metal building.
20x60,,,which once up,,,10 of us descended upon it,,and placed 14 ft deep shed roofs on 2 sides.
And made/framed out,,,sheeted,, a couple of rooms inside.

His sweat long suffering wife,,,,then called the fencing company,,,had them erect a chain link fence up around it, and once that was done,,,called the landscape folks,,and had them plant trees and brushes all the way around the place.

He can bring home and keep anything he wants,,,so long as it all fits within the chain link fence.

Now,,,a happy home,,,free of "stuff",,,at least out of sight.

As for the feng shui stuff,,,I had that once,,in Thailand,,and a couple of injections later,,,I was all cured.......

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2020, 17:17   #5
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
This is a tough question for those who truly chase enlightenment.
For me over the years Ive slowly started to decrease some of my weapons that I will not shoot or pass down.
My collection is becoming more of a "whats needed to protect, defend, train, and hunt"

As for food, medical supplies, water these are needs of life and I do not see as frivolous.

Ive had to make some real tough choices in the last two years. I firmly believe that the life that I have known in America is changing drastically and quickly.
I had to decide if keeping my California home that tripled in value, and my high paying job and all the perks are worth having my wife and kids in the line of fire when it all kicks off.

Now living a life that is far more simple has in truth not really made me happier.
It was a tad bit anticlimactic. I dreamed of having a small ranch/farm in northern Idaho for years yet there are always new stresses, new problems.

It reminds me of a saying.
" Some of us were never going to be happy anyway no matter what we do so do the right thing and shut up"
Old January 03, 2020, 17:31   #6
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Three more years until I start “divesting” some of my various “collectibles”. Really, I mean it. Dammit, don’t laugh at me because I really am going to downsize after I retire.. I hope selling this s**t is half as fun as buying it was.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2020, 18:18   #7
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I don't like chinese-breed dogs.

I have a lot of stuff I don't use. I get scolded for it. Then when something needs to be fixed, guess whose stuff gets used to fix whatever it is.

I know where MOST of my stuff is.

Sometimes you do have to take stock, and make some hard decisions to avoid being buried in your shit.

I could probably stand to to get rid of that burned-out thermocouple from the hot water heater. But I do use it sometimes to visualize what I'm looking at when I'm trying to shine a flashlight through the hazy sight-glass on the device. People who can't fix shit won't never understand that. So, you coud say I lead a Fug-Gem lifestyle.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2020, 18:24   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
We have a lot of stuff. Luckily we have a full size basement with ten foot ceilings, enclosed garage and two separate storage sheds on the Ponderosa. Wife has agreed to add a twenty foot steel shipping container in an area we have between two magnolia trees that will have to trim them, pour a cement pad, set containter and then let trees grow back around it leaving only the end with doors facing the house exposed to be easily viewed.

Found a company that for a fair price will add custom steel lock boxes to customer specifications, multiple levels of security doors and other features. Going to have them cut and weld in a frame for me to install 1"×24"×100" bullet resistant polycarbonate window on each side and 1×24"×50" polycarbonate window across front high enough to see out if stand on box or something at least 18" tall so people will have to be elevated to see in even though my ballistic polycarbonate has a one way bronze tint during day but at night if light is on in building then can see though it easily. Just want to let some natural light in and be able to see out if elevate your position and will place a few firing ports in strategic positions.

Plan is to use metal studs on walls without welded steel boxes so can pull simple 120v wiring, use spray foam insulation then add either steel or ballistic fiberglass as extra protection from theft or gunfire to a reasonable level. Company acid washes and paints containers after all work is done and will have painted dark green to blend in with the magnolia trees which are green year round. They install ventilation if want which we will do in case the mini-split HVAC system we are installing goes down or loses electricity. Plan to have a chemical toilet and shelves that can be used as cots with sleeping pads and bags and use to pit two people if the Ponderosa overflows with good people if SHTF. In addition to chemical toilet will pull a plumbing line and have a small prison style sink.

It will have a 40"×80" force rated ballistic security door in welded frame near one front corner and the two rear tractor trailer style doors will be reinforced so still able to open if need but one of the split pair will have a 40"×80" force rated ballistic entry door inset so don't have to open the big door(s) anytime need in. Will have a generator that will support it if grid goes down and while will be designed mainly for secure storage in matter of minutes can become a two to three person security bunk house. Have enough large scraps of 1/4" steel plate plan to cover roof corner to corner then have a spray on rubber roof on top of the guaranteed waterproof roof the container company stands behind. Friend bought one of their mid grade units from them eight years ago, set it on gravel pad and has not had any water intrusion or successful theft yet. It will be mostly storage till it needs to be something else and a lot of what will be stored in it will be what people that may have to live in it will need.

We have $10,000 budgeted for this and I can get my slab poured free if patient and wait for a friend to have a half full cement truck going back to plant and passing anywhere near me. I removed a minisplit HVAC unit someone had installed for a home gym that was not keeping room cool enough. For getting the job for a friend to install a full size unit for the home gym and removing the mini-split myself got it for free. Will trim the magnolias closer to spring and have 1"×4" lumber ready to lay out forms for pad. Soon as pad is poured will order the container. Have a 1"×50"×100" bronze polycarbonate sheet at work with scratch running down middle where I will split it and purchased for 1/4 retail due to scratch from very aggressive forklift driver. They are my best friends when need deals on polycarbonate.

Basement has an apartment with bath and kitchenette. Also has panic room which will become bedroom for wife and I. It has a toilet and small sink in camper sized 1/2 bath. Has flat screen t.v.s that simulate windows with outdoor light and scenery that along with the main big screen can all become situational awareness computer monitors. Have comfortable bed, majority of gun vaults and huge amounts of medicine and food. There is an office that can become a bedroom for two to three if couple with a kid. Climbing cave and gym could support a group barracks style with cots but our psychiatrist says it would be best used as a gym if we pack the dozen people she recommends in our house. Two or three if couple with kid(s) in master, couple in spare bedroom on main floor, couple or two in living room if split it as is huge. Another couple in garage and we are maxed at sixteen but sharing two full baths and two half baths, total square footage and people being people if had sixteen would overwhelm bathrooms, food supply but could make it work and sure a couple would begin eyeing the storage container soon.

Wife says if I retire at sixty she will buy us another camper which would make sixteen relatively comfortable on the Ponderosa and if lost municipal water ready to pump and filter all we can use from 55,000 acre lake and older bored well with eight to ten gallon per minute output. Figure cook with well water, flush toilets with filtered lake water and bath in highly filtered lake water. Have tons of stuff but with time and compartmentalized storage it's not like a hoarders episode on t.v. Also the 5,000 sq. ft. concrete wall with metal roof building at work which has gun vault, ham shack, reloading, well next door (KNOCK, KNOCK, KICK!). Also an abandoned well other side of us that is still used during droughts on lawn during watering bans (KNOcK, KNOCK).

I already have a few friends and ex employees that live close and believe putting them there keeps it from being looted and because of ham station can share situational awareness. Having a 5,000 square foot commercial building under roof extends ones options. Has sofa, four Coleman inflatable beds that sleep almost as good as a real bed and don't have to crawl down on the floor like just an air mattress. I figure four to six people at work but they will have to make do with one bathroom and shower not installed yet but their if it was needed that bad. They would need to bring food or start looking inside a few weeks. Have spent 35 years planning since bought building based on home lived in at time and now 27 years planning based on the move to the Pomderosa. We don't have huge square footage but it's used very well. Even Nuclear/Biological/Chemical resistant on top floor, highly resistant in basement and almost NBC proof in the main panic room.

35 years at work and 27 years at house which systems from previous house came over in the move. Feel like with twelve to fourteen we are golden at the Ponderosa for two years unless we meet a drone strike. Six at work keeps it up as long as they can fight and scavenge extra supplies. In two years we will be farming, fishing and possibly still hunting. Farming with the fish and wildlife resource and we may eat well for a long time. A high six figures in ammo before reloading builds the large wall of bones mixed with rotting corpses about 150 yards out from fence line.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2020, 23:35   #9
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
I don't have to decide what to get rid of, me missus does that for me.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2020, 04:48   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I am considering selling some of my higher dollar value black rifles and pistol grip MBRs. If law passed saying had to destroy, turn in or become criminal no way I can take a pile of G3s and L2a1s, etc to the po-po. As many Aks and ARs buried could probaby not find them all with a CIA spy satellite helping me. Being forgetful has its advantages but told someone where they were just not sure who.

As I age guns will be part of my retirement program. By age 90 if still alive probably won't need a 50 BMG or more than on 338 Lapa Mag. Keep my favorites and guns for heirs with plane to reduce total number of guns by 50% if live to 90. Won't need new in box Randall 1911s which sell for $5,000+ on collector market. A few Colt and SIG 1911s should suffice. Ammo will likely never sell as will keep enough rifles to shoot it if an old man has to buck up.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old January 04, 2020, 09:02   #11
frankxtc
Registered

FALaholic #: 10952
It’s difficult for me to throw things away too. Seems like whatever I throw away, few months later, I need one of those.
After I retired, decided to thin things out.
My family has no idea what to do with all dad’s weird crap anyway.
I would rather someone who can appreciate these things have them, rather than know my family will just throw it all in a dumpster, after I’m gone.
Sold all the belt feds, M2, 1919’s, RPD. Sold all the FALS, sold all the CMP (except the Garand), sold one of the M1A’s, all of the big-bore pistols and revolvers.
Got rid of the motorcycles, lots of HAM radio gear, old cars, some tools. Kept the old Ford 7.3 Powerstroke, and enough pistols & rifles & shotguns to deal with whatever in the future.
I do not go in for collecting guns.
I never buy a gun unless I really need it.
As a matter of fact, I really only need about a dozen, or possibly fourteen, more guns than I have now.
frankxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2020, 11:30   #12
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
As a genuine American Pack Rat, I see "fung shui" as an aberration. My motto, "'Tis better to have something and not need it than need something and not have it". (Read that somewhere.

Sometimes, I can even find what I'm looking for. Lately, I'm looking for a larger storage space to live in.
Old January 04, 2020, 15:12   #13
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
I haven't reached this low-drag level of enlightenment. Growing up, we moved around a lot so I got in the habit of clinging onto certain items be virtue of the fact that I moved all my worldy possessions every couple years. I have not broken that habit but I at least have most of the junk stored in totes in the garage. I plan to start going through and consolidating this month.

My wife is also one who not only never throws anything out, she's also one who never puts anything away. I keep waiting for her to hit that nesting phase of pregnancy but it ain't happened yet. I'm on the verge of gathering up the loose, worthless shit scattered here and there and throwing it away and see if she notices. (Probably not because I like being married but the thought still appeals to me.)

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2020, 15:33   #14
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post

My wife is also one who not only never throws anything out, she's also one who never puts anything away. I keep waiting for her to hit that nesting phase of pregnancy but it ain't happened yet. I'm on the verge of gathering up the loose, worthless shit scattered here and there and throwing it away and see if she notices. (Probably not because I like being married but the thought still appeals to me.)
I've been known to do it. She never notices. Right now she's in the drawing/painting phase. I tossed out a shitload of books and junk. It's like it reappears and multiplies.

Old January 04, 2020, 16:23   #15
frankxtc
Registered

FALaholic #: 10952
The beauty part of my wife’s ever-growing piles’o crap - she now has the attention span of a 90 year old. So as soon as she puts whatever treasure from the Dollar Store on the pile, next day I throw it out. Never a comment or question from her..........
I do not go in for collecting guns.
I never buy a gun unless I really need it.
As a matter of fact, I really only need about a dozen, or possibly fourteen, more guns than I have now.
frankxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2020, 16:31   #16
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankxtc View Post
The beauty part of my wife’s ever-growing piles’o crap - she now has the attention span of a 90 year old. So as soon as she puts whatever treasure from the Dollar Store on the pile, next day I throw it out. Never a comment or question from her..........
What is it about the Dollar General? I swear they are experts at marketing junk for women. I go in grab my beer, smokes, snacks and that's it. Maybe charcoal or dog food. Damn mine comes out with a bag full of trinkets and junk that were on sale. Same I've noticed with other wimmins in there.

Old January 04, 2020, 17:29   #17
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
As a genuine American Pack Rat, I see "fung shui" as an aberration. My motto, "'Tis better to have something and not need it than need something and not have it". (Read that somewhere.

Sometimes, I can even find what I'm looking for. Lately, I'm looking for a larger storage space to live in.

Hey, I resemble that remark...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2020, 20:09   #18
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post

You see, that's the thing; I hate throwing away something that I will have to re-buy in future. I was taught "A penny saved is a penny earned" so although I am not a cheap, tight, penny-pinching bastard like I had as bosses, I figure if I can save on basic stuff and spend more on quality rifles, parts, ammo, glass, etc.

My Dad called himself a "tinkerer" as he was not a master of building or making anything but made things as he was taught in the Navy. He made things according to the Navy's rule of "The Principles of Sound Carpentry" and as he would claim, "Pollock Engineering and Coonass Engineering". So here's where I come in, trying to do the same when building projects to last.

I know I do not NEED so much stuff but I am constantly acquiring "potentially useful" stuff. This is my bad habit which hinders the uncluttered life. Por ejemplo: At work, they were throwing out unused rolls of 1" wide by 3/4" thick x 100's of feet of sacrificial cathodic Magnesium ribbon they used to put under the storage tanks to slow corrosion. When I was given the task to clean out the electrical storage warehouse, they let me take them home. I had to cut the roll into around 30' pieces to handle them. I wanted them because this 'raw' magnesium ribbon burns white hot. I've burned some in our fire pit and some of it burned a hole through one of the pits. I got to sell some on Craigslist at $0.50/lb but I still have over 200# left. Selling on CL is hard and sloooooooow. They are in (8) rolls leaning against the shed. I would like to sell them but no scrap yard around here wants them. I've read here on FALFILES that Mg can be useful. Yall see what I mean?

I rarely pass a bed frame on a trash pile as the angle iron, especially if old- style, Made In USA, is fairly hard. This angle iron is very useful for a myriad of projects. After Katrina, I had a huge pile of them and when I had the time, ground the rivets off, punched them out, sorted by width, thickness and length, sorted into square buckets to allow them to be stored against a wall for easier access than lying them flat and then painted for reference and matching of size. When I finished, I wound up with over 3,000', yes, 3000' of bed frame angle iron. I gave away plenty and could not sell ONE INCH on CL, even though (1) 6' stick will cost you $15. I was asking $0.10/ft. Fug me runnin'.

After Katrina, people were tossing bicycles everywhere and I wound up with (75) bikes in the yard, Babyluv threatened divorce but I managed to sell off most of them, one young guy bought (30) for $300, and I'm now down to (22) or so and I have passed on or sold an additional (20) I managed to save, clean, regrease, sell or pass on to young peoples and chirrun.

Then there is the problem with books. My parents had floor to the ceiling shelves in (3) rooms, each loaded with books. They had boxes of books in every room. I loved their library; probably 5,000 volumes. My Dad loved "how-to-do" books or as he called them "howdy-dooty" books. He had hundreds on carpentry, machining (he had an Atlas lathe with a 4' bed), welding, knife making, plumbing, electrical, gardening, PLUS thousands of magazines from Mother Earth News, Backwoods Home, American Rifleman, Boy's Life (when we were in the scouts), Soldier of Fortune, (from Vol. 2 on to their end), Shotgun News from the early '70's on, Life, Playboy, National Geographic from the '50's on, magazines by the thousands on motorcycles, cars, boats, health, lifting, nature, animals, dolls, doll house, miniatures, cooking and whatever. I did mange to give thousands of these to school teachers and the Boy Scouts and who ever wanted old magazines as advertised on CL. My dumbasss brother and his moronic wife threw away hundreds of books and thousands of magazines; the ones I could not rescue. They just threw them in the trash. I don't think my SIL was literate anyway as she quit skewl in the 10th grade.

I have read many books and articles and have viewed hours of minimalist/Feng Shui/ uncluttered ways, implemented them with great excitement and expectations only to have more stuff land in the empty spaces.

So you see my brother and sisters, I need help, probably professional help, but I don't want to get caught with my pants down and in need of something I just threw away. I read all of your posts with attentiveness and earnest.

TIA,
Jarhead
Old January 04, 2020, 20:53   #19
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
I grew up with a "Collector".
My wife is a "Collector".
I moved many times before marriage.
I am NOT a "Collector".
If you think you'll use it in a reasonable time , keep it.
If not , don't get it.
Prep always.
Old January 04, 2020, 21:29   #20
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
You see, that's the thing; I hate throwing away something that I will have to re-buy in future. I was taught "A penny saved is a penny earned" so although I am not a cheap, tight, penny-pinching bastard like I had as bosses, I figure if I can save on basic stuff and spend more on quality rifles, parts, ammo, glass, etc.

My Dad called himself a "tinkerer" as he was not a master of building or making anything but made things as he was taught in the Navy. He made things according to the Navy's rule of "The Principles of Sound Carpentry" and as he would claim, "Pollock Engineering and Coonass Engineering". So here's where I come in, trying to do the same when building projects to last.

I know I do not NEED so much stuff but I am constantly acquiring "potentially useful" stuff. This is my bad habit which hinders the uncluttered life. Por ejemplo: At work, they were throwing out unused rolls of 1" wide by 3/4" thick x 100's of feet of sacrificial cathodic Magnesium ribbon they used to put under the storage tanks to slow corrosion. When I was given the task to clean out the electrical storage warehouse, they let me take them home. I had to cut the roll into around 30' pieces to handle them. I wanted them because this 'raw' magnesium ribbon burns white hot. I've burned some in our fire pit and some of it burned a hole through one of the pits. I got to sell some on Craigslist at $0.50/lb but I still have over 200# left. Selling on CL is hard and sloooooooow. They are in (8) rolls leaning against the shed. I would like to sell them but no scrap yard around here wants them. I've read here on FALFILES that Mg can be useful. Yall see what I mean?

I rarely pass a bed frame on a trash pile as the angle iron, especially if old- style, Made In USA, is fairly hard. This angle iron is very useful for a myriad of projects. After Katrina, I had a huge pile of them and when I had the time, ground the rivets off, punched them out, sorted by width, thickness and length, sorted into square buckets to allow them to be stored against a wall for easier access than lying them flat and then painted for reference and matching of size. When I finished, I wound up with over 3,000', yes, 3000' of bed frame angle iron. I gave away plenty and could not sell ONE INCH on CL, even though (1) 6' stick will cost you $15. I was asking $0.10/ft. Fug me runnin'.

After Katrina, people were tossing bicycles everywhere and I wound up with (75) bikes in the yard, Babyluv threatened divorce but I managed to sell off most of them, one young guy bought (30) for $300, and I'm now down to (22) or so and I have passed on or sold an additional (20) I managed to save, clean, regrease, sell or pass on to young peoples and chirrun.

Then there is the problem with books. My parents had floor to the ceiling shelves in (3) rooms, each loaded with books. They had boxes of books in every room. I loved their library; probably 5,000 volumes. My Dad loved "how-to-do" books or as he called them "howdy-dooty" books. He had hundreds on carpentry, machining (he had an Atlas lathe with a 4' bed), welding, knife making, plumbing, electrical, gardening, PLUS thousands of magazines from Mother Earth News, Backwoods Home, American Rifleman, Boy's Life (when we were in the scouts), Soldier of Fortune, (from Vol. 2 on to their end), Shotgun News from the early '70's on, Life, Playboy, National Geographic from the '50's on, magazines by the thousands on motorcycles, cars, boats, health, lifting, nature, animals, dolls, doll house, miniatures, cooking and whatever. I did mange to give thousands of these to school teachers and the Boy Scouts and who ever wanted old magazines as advertised on CL. My dumbasss brother and his moronic wife threw away hundreds of books and thousands of magazines; the ones I could not rescue. They just threw them in the trash. I don't think my SIL was literate anyway as she quit skewl in the 10th grade.

I have read many books and articles and have viewed hours of minimalist/Feng Shui/ uncluttered ways, implemented them with great excitement and expectations only to have more stuff land in the empty spaces.

So you see my brother and sisters, I need help, probably professional help, but I don't want to get caught with my pants down and in need of something I just threw away. I read all of your posts with attentiveness and earnest.

TIA,
Jarhead
You don't need professional help. You need to just throw all that shit away for salvage value or get you a bigger place. Land is pretty cheap there. Babylove is getting tired of all your stuff laying around her space. I feel the same way with my wife. I have 8 or 10 bolt carrier groups on my bench and thinking about using them for fishing weights. 3 or 4 StG lowers and other parts. They are hard to sell.

Old January 05, 2020, 00:43   #21
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Jarhead....

Send me some info on the magnesium.
I know some people in your are that might be interested.

(Guys with fed lisenses, work in movies etc) that may or may not be able to use them for special effects.
Old January 05, 2020, 02:36   #22
Combloc
Registered

FALaholic #: 55596
In one word and one picture...…...yeppers.

Old January 05, 2020, 11:35   #23
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I even have a pair of large and small pole transformers along with two large rolls of steel transmission line and power company insulators and stand offs. Figure if need to cooperate with neighbors then giving them power for say an hour or two per day might be a good barter commodity. Have a medium size church almost across the street from me and know over 70% of the security team for a decade as all are local ham radio operators. They have a huge food bank and commercial kitchen with plan of members able to get there to occupy their masonry construction building. If need I could suppliment them with a dozen or so AKs and SKSs plus a couple thousand rounds per rifle.

They also have about eight nice graded lightly sloping lakefront acres that could farm a lot of food on. My neighbor that plants almost two acres in vegetables is almost directly across the road from them. With mine and his diesel tanks we could use his tractors to feed a lot of people in the hood after block road about 1/4 mile either side of my house and being a peninsula only access is by boat and my marine radars are pretty decent units. While have whole house generator and back ups can use my three phase diesel generator with a few pole transformers to set up a small local power grid if people can respect the number of watts I allotted them when powered it up.

I have trash pumps and water pumps in gasoline and electric along with so much various stuff I believe with what my good neighbors and church has we could have a fairly well armed and cooperative community of about fifty people. Could set up additional marine and recently upgraded ground radar unit at church because know with an hours training and a half day of moving extra batteries the hams at the church which is other side of road and could sweep the lakefront I can't would keep us aware of boats or people approaching. My spare ground radar will detect a person moving as slow as one meter per minute for over 1,000 yards. My new kit with radar and LIDAR plus seismic sensors can detect people walking out to 1.5 kilometers and people crawling out to about 500 yards.

Share my old Gen 1 and 1+ night vision and possibly some thermal and maybe one nice Gen 2 unit with church across the street and situational awareness could be huge as all of them have UHF, VHF and HF in their vehicles plus carry weapons. A few are military veterans. We do have the issue with two rental houses might have to mitigate that would be inside our little community once road is blocked but cross that bridge when we block the bridge. Have two neighbors plus pastor and security team of church already discussed what we may do if forced to shelter and be self supporting for extended period of time.
Old January 05, 2020, 18:32   #24
randy762ak
Registered

FALaholic #: 25888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
Ok, can you live a feng shui, or uncluttered life and still be a prepper? This is a great enigma for me as I have been somewhat of a prepper since birth and more so since 1978. I love to work on projects and as an official Cajun and descendant of pioneers, I have been taught resourcefulness from my mother's lap. My parents were "Depression Era Children" and did not like to get rid of anything that they deemed could be useful in future. To make matters worse, my mother was heavily involved in "recycling" for the War Effort. In those days, nothing went to waste.

For me, it is hard to throw things away if I think I or someone else can use it in future. Consequently, my yard, house, shed, attic and elsewhere resemble Fred Sanford's place, only worser. In addition, I love to recycle, rebuild, renew bicycles which people put out in the trash around here monthly. The big problem is that our space is very limited. Compounding the problem for me was when my parent's died, my alcoholic brother and his stupid bitch wife insisted on throwing EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING my parents had amassed over their life times away. I tried to save as much as I could within the limits of my time, energy and storage space. When my electrician uncle died, I wound up with most of his tools and materials. When my father-in-law died, we wound up with most of his tools and materials.

I, and especially my Babyluv, would truly appreciate it if you guys could share how yall live the prepper life and still maintain an low clutter to no-clutter lifestyle, knowing that one day you are going to need stuff you will not be able to get. Babyluv is all about living with nothing and I am all about being ready for just about anything that might come our way.

All help is truly appreciated.

Jarhead
In as Much as I have tried -Feng Shui -This Lifestyle of Peace and Tranquility Is Not to come my way ,, I finished a 32 X 40 shop -Filled it ,, Built a 16X32 shed and ===Filling it as we speak, and I have a 2 car garage in NY full of tools machines and engines That need to come to there new Home ,,The shed I hope,,!! My fiance is the opposite,,she Like a simple Life without clutter --I will have to agree that she gets the house and yard to do as she likes -- I keep my happy Place !!
randy762ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020, 18:08   #25
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

This is how I organize my EDC non clothing items. When stack on back gets down to two clean vests have a load of covers in washer and panels wiped down with water based organic/non cjemical spray and wipe cleaner/deodorizer. Hang dry my liners and restack the chair with eight to ten NIJ 2 carriers which have 6"×9" Protect Multi-Threat panels in front and 5.5"×10.5" NIJ 2/3 (mix of both) trauma panels that cover spine.

When come in from work empty my pockets of small loose items in a 1950s vintage ash tray then knife, multitool, magazine pouch (may notice a leather double mag single stack for 1911s under the SIG 2 magazine 40 Smith double stack pouch), key fob, wallet, flashlights (based on pants wear and work, play or doctors have four lights to choose from), flash drive with Medicalert logo (contains all of my medical records going back over 20 years including MRIs, CT Scans, x-rays, doctors notes, medications, past surgeries and all information an emergency room team may need to separate old injuries from new and possibly figure out quickly if I just went into adrenal or other endocrine system crash that can be cleared up with a simple injection of stress dose steroids) plus other odds and ends that wear on belt or fit in pocket.

Next morning as dress grab a fresh vest off the front of the stack, choose magazine pouch based on work (carry a SIG 2022 in 40 Smith thus 36 rounds with fully loaded pistol) or non work (leather with two ten round magazines loaded with 45 acp Hornady Critical Defense) and thread mag pouch on with belt and holster. The SIG Level 3 retention holster will clip on with effort but is much easier to thread. If carrying a 1911 then choose from a SIG 1911 Double Nickel (Commander size with three dot tritium sights and 3.25 pound trigger), Target Model (front sight swapped for tritium post plus 11° target crown and 3.25 pound trigger) or SIG STX (3.25 pound trigger and tritium front sight over tritium horizontal bar on rear sight).

Have become pretty much a carrier of SIG pistols over the past five years. Own a dozen or so 1911s in 357 SIG, 38 Super and 45 while still looking for a 9mm Double Nickel and a 9mm 5" model for when I get old and bones get brittle. All my carries plus most of the others were purchased from a local SIG dealer who sells a ton of SIG 1911s in 45 and 357 SIG which many are returned in less than a month with about half the 50 roumd box of training ammo fired and three to five rounds of the carry ammo box fired with owners trading for 9mms. The recoil was just too snappy for them. They always have every accessory from chamber flag to price tag from counter, manuals, factory mags and box.

I take them to work and shoot 300 to 500 rounds through them and call my rep at SIG Custom Shop. Describe scope of work, he sends email with RMA Number and I include nice typed letter to my SIG single stack smith. From first SIG 1911 was told they would not do a trigger lighter than four pounds. I like 3.25 pounds on my carry guns and after explaining already owned over fifty 1911s including collectable vault queens to full IPSC race pistols, IDPA purpose built, etc they write four pounds in work order and tell me smith will sometimes Com in a tad light and to be sure to describe in scope of work in letter I put in box for smith my preference. Have six or seven that with my digital trigger gauge and pistol in vice read 3.22 to 3.28 which is perfect.

Have two pistols that have set up for range work (no tritium sights, adjustable black sights with fine checkering to reduce glare along with "Sight Black" I spray on target pistol sights so get that nice no glare flat black that asked for sub three pound triggers if smith was willing and both came back at 2.85 pounds which is what I told them I like for IDPA pistols. From first 1911 to last every one of mine has been done by same smith. Even though 500 rounds is the most any pistol I send have on them they replace all springs and "wear items" along with adding all the optional parts I request as all come back with ambidextrous safeties if didn't ship from factory as such. Some are pure carry, some pure range and some hybrids like my Target Model with tritium front sight post and a few other carry features I prefer.

If working I pull a SIG 2022 in 40 Smith most of the time as all of my 9mm 2022s live permanently on one of my overt rifle armor kits. Have full rifle armor kit in master bath, two in each bedroom (wife's have Walther PK 380s instead of SIG 2022s) two in living room, one in kitchen next to door that enters garage. Also have two in basement with loaded pistols in holsters and all magazines full very close to the rifle they match. All of my primary kits now have NIJ 3/ICW4 or NIJ 4 plates thus if wife or I put on a vest we are NIJ 4 protected at trauma plates. Have a rack that has another dozen rifle vests with everything ready to go except pistol and rifle magazines. Have all pouches, radios, knife, compass, watch, IFAK, ready to fill water bladder and are a mix of NIJ 3+, NIJ 3++ and NIJ ICW4. All plates are lightweight and even my NIJ 4 plates all weigh under five pounds and my prime kits under four pounds per plate.

All of my SIG 2022s are TACOPS models with tritium sights and threaded barrels for suppressors. My two prime rifle vests have an Osprey 9 suppressor on the molle and mags are loaded with 147 grain 1050 fps subs that will occasionally go transonic. I like my stuff organized, in its place and nowhere in house am I more than a few steps from a full rifle kit with pistol and rifle within reach of the vest. The 2022s are a mix of new and gently used. All have been to SIG Custom Shop to ensure have short trigger reset parts installed and best trigger they can put on a DA/SA carry pistol. DA is heavy but very smooth and nice with little creep and travel. SA pull is almost as crisp as some SAO pistols. A 2022 Sig Pro ships with 10 pound DA and 4.4 pound SA. Mine average 7.5 pound DA and 3.5 pound SA which is fine for a combat pistol.

Under the chair is a pair of running shoes with quick entry that tighten with a pull tab so no tying laces. Also have a pair of light hikers and a pair of leather mountaineering boots with carbon fiber shanks to stiffen sole without adding weight like most do with steel. Each piece of footwear has a sock hanging out of the top ready to grab and slide on. The socks have sewn in liners to,absorb and wick sweat away but have enough Nomex in their blend are fireproof. In closet next to chair there are four sets of NIJ Level 3a vests, two with 8"×10" Hi-Threat Plates and two sets with Protech 8"×10" NIJ 3 plates. Also have two full sets of Nomex blend multicam combat uniforms with the blast resistant cloth and insect repellent in the fabric. About as most people can find their pants and a pistol I can be in a full uniform including PUGS (underwear with NIJ 1 Trauma Pads over femural arteries and shrapnel rated layers over crotch and all sensitive areas) with boots on and moving out the door armored up with helmet cinched and radios fired up.

While I have a lot of stuff and to some it may look cluttered it's not. It's just easily accessible rather than put away. Do you want to dig for a combat kit if zombies are kicking down your front door or do you want to be dressed in full gear that a special operator would be wearing in under two minutes. Can pull a vest over pajamas, step in non slip silent slippers, pull on helmet and have rifle heading to fight in under a minute. That takes your gear to be accessible and even my wife prefers her bedroom to have each of us kits in super fast and run, under two minutes and well prepped or three minutes and completely ready for combat ready and be damned with any visitor that calls us paranoid or worse. Our house is neat, very clean but have one to two IFAKS in every room of the house, on every motorcycle and in every truck. We each have a set in set of firefighters boots and Nomex pants with suspenders, firefighters bunker coat, Nomex hood and helmet plus three to five minute breath pack between the dressers to step in and be dressed to fight or escape a fire in under a minute.

My mother who is a decorator can't stand seeing big red fire extinguishers in every room, in fact at least three (one CO2, one Halon and one ABC) in normal size rooms and two sets in big rooms like living room and kitchen plus three sets in garage plus Halon Fire Boys mounted to ceiling. I see safety if someone tries to burn me out or time to escape in fire fighting gear or combat gear based on circumstances. But every evening my pockets are unloaded in orderly manner to reload next day and reattach all my EDC gear clean and ready for another day in the jungle we call life.

Last Monday at doctors office nurse and a PA both told me wished they had been wearing body armor the previous Friday at work but were not allowed to say more. They don't know the doctor bought two vests from me and Monday asked me if ballistic panels could be fit in his lead surgical apron that covers from knees to shoulders. Next Thursday carrying a mix of panels and we have a half hour scheduled before my preop for me to fit NIJ 2 panels and trauma panels in as much of his surgical apron I can get. Am sure can get a full back and front panel in main torso and groin protector front plus sacrum protector in rear. If it works out he said he may have me armor up some of his key full time surgical staff as apparently someone other than me brought a gun into preop and would not surrender it and was demanding scripts that were not part of their treatment. Patient was a new patient that had come from a Pill Mill practice shut down by the Feds. Just wanted pills, not surgery to fix the need for pain meds.
Old January 10, 2020, 20:28   #26
Tip_drill
Registered

FALaholic #: 82930
I do not consider myself a prepper, however i do maintain a preparedness for self preservation.

Most here would consider me Feng shui.....All my worldly possessions can and do fit inside 2 ea. US Military FILBE packs....My philosophy for this is simple, i refuse to be a slave to material possessions and the fear of losing material possessions is how these Marxists are controlling and pacifying Americans into complying with their tyranny.

To those of you that believe as i do that America is in for some dark days and have as little faith as i do in any hope of restoration, let me tell you about a alternative place where you can live a stress free lifestyle for under $500 US dollars per month.... Playa del Carmen Mexico.....I spent 3 full winters living there (the winter weather temps average in the mid 80's) and i am considering moving to Mexico full time to escape the insanity of the Marxist revolution and lawlessness happening here currently.

Its a very slowed pace,simple stress free life where you can pursue your self interests, hiking, fishing, camping , travel etc etc, you can eat 3 meals a day of fresh sea food for just a few dollars per day.

Understand that i am speaking as a single man with no family, business or commitments to tie me down.
Tip_drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020, 22:18   #27
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
I don't like chinese-breed dogs.
They sure beat having a dang cat on your desk !

Old January 11, 2020, 02:41   #28
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Tip_Drill, what happens when the natives go on the warpath and first thing they come after are seemingly "rich" expats? Seen it happen in more than one South American country. Before we got old and health issues began to multiply our plan was to retire to Huraz Peru. Only issue is doctor comes to town once a week and with over 10,000 residents you line up hoping he sees you before cuts off the line and moves to next town. I have dealt successfully with Shining Path more than once by paying their fee politely. Closest hospital is a 12.5 hour bus ride to Lima if busses are moving. I built me a compound with two alternative fall back positions and have all the comforts of modern medicine as age creeps up.

I could not even move my ham radio shack without a truck and trailer and been to many nice places in Mexico that if a Gringo walks a few miles in wrong direction his naked body is found stripped down to socks and underwear and sometimes even kidneys, liver and heart were stolen before body was disposed of. If ever need a transplant and can't get on the list here know a guy in Columbia whose business is medical tourism. They will find a match for whatever organ you need if pay which usually comes out of one of the dumb gringo tourists.
Old January 11, 2020, 05:49   #29
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
They will find a match for whatever organ you need if pay which usually comes out of one of the dumb gringo tourists.
I thought it was cheaper to buy/kidnap poor kids and raise them in a healthy guarded compound until "harvest".
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020, 11:02   #30
Tip_drill
Registered

FALaholic #: 82930
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Tip_Drill, what happens when the natives go on the warpath and first thing they come after are seemingly "rich" expats? Seen it happen in more than one South American country. Before we got old and health issues began to multiply our plan was to retire to Huraz Peru. Only issue is doctor comes to town once a week and with over 10,000 residents you line up hoping he sees you before cuts off the line and moves to next town. I have dealt successfully with Shining Path more than once by paying their fee politely. Closest hospital is a 12.5 hour bus ride to Lima if busses are moving. I built me a compound with two alternative fall back positions and have all the comforts of modern medicine as age creeps up.

I could not even move my ham radio shack without a truck and trailer and been to many nice places in Mexico that if a Gringo walks a few miles in wrong direction his naked body is found stripped down to socks and underwear and sometimes even kidneys, liver and heart were stolen before body was disposed of. If ever need a transplant and can't get on the list here know a guy in Columbia whose business is medical tourism. They will find a match for whatever organ you need if pay which usually comes out of one of the dumb gringo tourists.
Hueyville, i am not disagreeing with you that there are not risks involved, and that not all areas there are safe.....The 15 months i spent in Iraq were not "safe" either.

What i can tell you is for a single man with no ties i could live there comfortably on far less than many members of this forum pay just in property tax alone for one year here in the USA.

On the safety issue, i feel a lot safer there than i do travelling through DNC neighborhoods in this country populated by a certain demographic that we all have come to know and "love" .

I paid $220 per month rent for a one bedroom apartment less than a mile from the beach, it had A/C small kitchen that i never used and was clean with minimum roaches.......I would spend days swimming, hiking, fishing, looking at bikini clad women and i would eat fresh grouper 3x a day for less than $6
There In January and february i would sit in an outside eating establishment in shorts and a t shirt in 85 degree weather eating my dinner and watch tropical rainstorms come and go.

My thinking on this subject is rather than having the Marxist criminals in the DNC force me to pay to educate , clothe, feed and provide healthcare for the illegal aliens here through exorbitant property tax and other forms of taxation, and have them steal 25 percent of my time on earth to pay these criminals "tribute" ..like a slave ..i simply eliminate the middle man and go live in 85 degree weather all year round for pennies on the dollar compared to what it costs to live here.

A place where there is No stress, no pressure of having to keep up with the joneses, and there i dont have to pretend it is a nation of laws where all men are created equal

Seriously, the dangers you express are exaggerated......And the benefits far outweigh the negatives.....You would love it if you simply tried it.
Tip_drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020, 12:56   #31
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

If I didn't have the wife to care for I would definitely be doing things differently and probably already be dead. 50% to 60% of my real hardcre lifetime climbig partners are dead. 30% in avalanches, 20% BASE jumping accidents and 10% in falls. When I met my wife plan had been not to marry or have kids. Didnt ever have kids but have the wife and she needs some home healthcare now following a MVA.

When I was rear ended in a MVA 2007 by a female testing and driving a Suburban with cruise control set on 45 mph and cop who witnessed and the log from her OBD computer download showed she never touched the brakes I had a dozen permits for Everest of which four were for myself and trusted climbers and had clients for the other eight which would have paid me about three years salary for one summit attempt and was in the loop to get permits each year afterwards.

My pan was to have good insurance and keep climbing till an avalanche or rock fall from the blue took me out. Unfortunately soon as began to recover from first back injury was rear ended again 2009 by another female text messaging added broken T6 to multiple slipped and ruptured disks in lumbar from first MVA then in 2011 was rear ended again by female in Tahoe text messaging which broke my C2 and C3 vertebrae in neck. When smart phones first came out and fact I spent most of my day driving from site to site where it was 10 to 45 minutes of work then drive to next and smart phones were new and being used by dumb people my alpine/mountaineering guiding days were done.

End of 2011 I fell from a cell tower and fractured my skull which have had complex sleep apnea ever since and can't sleep above 14,000 feet safely anymore. I was trying to rehab from all he back injuries and still work and fell off a cell tower in the process. Because of three accidents with injuries every insurance company of women drivers claimed my injuries were from one of the other accidents and I was playing the system and purposely causing then as nobody could get rear ended three times in five years even if they spent three to six days per week driving to work sites.

I had a good gig with Ma Bell making good money on 4G upgrades to towers and battery backups on top of my regular business but once all the 4G was stacked out it went away and just had my regular business. Because I have an Extra Class ham radio license, Marine Radio Operators Permit, General Radio Operators License (Ship, aircraft and land based commercial radio), Radar Endorsement and entire host of electrical license, HVAC license, OSHA 40 Hour Card and over fifty state and federal trade licenses total was offered a good paying gig with a contractor to go to Iraq and help put the phone system back together but we also had to be cross trained in IED identification and mitigation as we would be working without support from troops.

Went to North Carolina for training and had told them of my back injuries that were well managed but when they discovered well managed required pain meds at the time they sent me home though after first two weeks the instructors were asking me questions and said I was the best student they had on IEDs which didn't want to tell them one of y hobbies was building IEDs and other man traps so thought like a person wanting to deny others safe travel through an area. So now its keep the business rolling, take care of wife and keep back working though off pain meds now after years of P.T. and regular nerve blocks which have another next week.

The nerve blocks I require are not available in Mexico or most of South America and even if in Europe would have to fly home every two months to stay on track. Thus I am trapped in the U.S. because we have the best medical system in the world. Know people who went expat, got sick or injured and died because were unable to come back to the U.S. to be treated. Plus unless a country will let me bring a couple hundred of my favorite firearms and has equivalent of U.S./Swiss medical industries I am stuck at the Ponderosa.
Old January 25, 2020, 20:18   #32
FrankLloydWright
Registered

FALaholic #: 83652
Can you live an uncluttered life and still be a prepper?

Only if you are Kwai Chang Caine.

Frank
Old January 25, 2020, 20:34   #33
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Wow! A mile of text. Every time I press a button on the computer I waste more of my life and destroy the environment