Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old July 02, 2019, 06:08   #1
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Super Redhawk 44mag

Im down to an old 3 screw super blackhawk and am needing something else in 44mag.
While I'd really prefer a 629 5", Ive a line on a 7.5" super redhawk that I could probably trade into pretty fairly.
Anyone have thoughts or input on the super redhawk,,,Ive never even fondled one..TIA.
Cheers, yv
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 02, 2019, 07:27   #2
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I have a Super, but in .480. I have never shot it. I do have an older Redhawk in .44 though, with a silver Leupold pistol scope. What a looker that package is. I have actually shot it and like it a lot. IMHO, the Super Redhawk is over kill in .44. But, if you can get into it right…..

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 02, 2019, 21:05   #3
K. Funk
Retired Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I've always thought the Super was too un-wieldy. I only had one and I sold it (I don't sell many personal guns). I have a classic Redhawk from 1987 that I bought new that I really like. I have an OM Super Blackhawk and a couple of New Models. Depends on what you want to do with it. I had some buddies who were into silhouette that really liked the Super Redhawk.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 02, 2019, 21:20   #4
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
The Redhawk is arguably the strongest revolver currently in production but they are a handful. Super Blackhawks are large as well (as you're aware), but the Redhawk is beefier. If you just want something to blast red hot .44s thru the Redhawk may well be your thing but if you plan on packing it anywhere it's a brick.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 02, 2019, 21:24   #5
John Crusher
Registered

FALaholic #: 18663
I've got a 9.5" Super Redhawk in .44 mag that wears a Burris Scope in Ruger rings and shoot it regularly. I take it with me when camping and remote fishing sans the scope because you never know. I shoot .44 Russian, .44 special and of course magnums through her and reload so no big deal for me. I like mine and it is still tight after 8 years.
Old July 02, 2019, 21:30   #6
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
I have a Redhawk with a 7-1/2" barrel. I also own several Blackhawks in 44 mag. Both old model flat tops and new models. I have also owned a couple of 29's over the years, a six inch and a four inch. The Redhawk is built like a tank and the super Redhawk is even more so. That being said it's been years since I took the Redhawk out. I find it awkward to carry in the field. I have two shoulder holsters and a hip holster for it and none of them make do it for me and this from a guy that has several contender barrels in 14 and 16 inch. I have often thought about shipping it off to Bowen and having the barrel shortened so I would use it more.

If I was hunting stands say on a bear bait or a deer stand then it would be fine and I have used it for that in the past but for hunting on foot I find it to be cumbersome. If I wanted a 44 mag for woods bumming or hunting on foot I would opt for the Blackhawk or a 29 if I needed a double action and nothing greater than a six inch barrel.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 02, 2019, 22:33   #7
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
I have a 7.5" Super Redhawk in 44 Mag. I wouldn't think of trading it off nor would I feel undergunned with it. Although it wears a red dot, the factory sights are plenty adequate as is the factory trigger (in single action). As a pistol, it is comfortable to shoot and plenty accurate.

It's too damned big to carry on my hip but I have a large shoulder holster - really only effective for hunting carry though.

I bought it for target shooting and hunting and it does everything I need. I really like my 44 Mag SRH.

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2019, 00:01   #8
4x401
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Super Redhawks are ridiculous in size and weight for .44 Magnum....and they're ugly as fug.

The standard Redhawk is perfect in size and weight, and beats any other factory produced revolver for longevity....except maybe the Super Blackhawk.

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2019, 06:08   #9
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

From what Ive read,,it seemed to me that the redhawk and the super are basically the same size, its just the super has the beefier extended frame. While their totally different frame designs internally, the weight difference between them was only a couple of ounces and its said the cylinders are interchangeable.
Is this not correct ???

Last edited by yovinny; July 03, 2019 at 06:18.
Old July 03, 2019, 11:12   #10
4x401
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
From what Ive read,,it seemed to me that the redhawk and the super are basically the same size, its just the super has the beefier extended frame. While their totally different frame designs internally, the weight difference between them was only a couple of ounces and its said the cylinders are interchangeable.
Is this not correct ???
Well maybe.....

They're still ugly as hell....

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2019, 11:16   #11
MasterChief
Registered

FALaholic #: 5026
5-1/2"

1985 vintage. Hogue monogrip, Millet rear sight, Bullseye spring, Sierra 300gr JSP, many grains of Hercules 2400. Gun-to-pig missile launcher. Light as depleted uranium.
MasterChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2019, 13:33   #12
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
I had the same setup as the MasterChief except mine had the 7 1/2 barrel. Even has the same rubber grip. Same Sierra 300 grain bullet and copious amounts of 2400. Was just the ticket for Russian boars.

While true that the Ruger is a big and heavy weapon, it is also a super strong and reliable piece. I don't think I could ever hurt one.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2019, 13:48   #13
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
OP should comment at some length on what he intends to DO with whatever it is he's going to acquire.

If the thing is heavy as a tank, weight doesn't matter if the only purpose the revolver serves is to take up space in a gun safe. In every case, I've found revolvers to be excessively-large for the payload they can deliver. My personal favorite revolver is the Smith and Wesson Model 10. A wonderful gun. Pleasing to the eye. Easy to shoot. But in today's firearms market, for considerably less money than a quality revolver, you can get a gun a fraction of the size of a Model 10, and which delivers the same payload, and which is equally reliable as a revolver, and which carries more rounds, and which requires less maintenance.

I'll admit I have a certain fasination for the big-frame revolvers. I've owned quite a few. Each got sent on its way, as I never found a use for any of them other than to fondle and gawk at them for a short while.

Moreover, I have found that anything that needs to be shot with a really heavy, slow-moving bullet, is better shot with a 12-gauge slug. And with some 12 gauge shotguns weighing not that much more than some of these super-caliber revolvers. Better yet, if it needs to be dead this instant, shoot it with a .308. The big revolver might be uniquely useful if you are in "bear country." But, if there is a real risk of being attacked by a bear, why aren't you carrying a better weapon than a revolver?

I've often remarked on my ideas pertaining to buying desirable/rare/obsolete guns as an investment. That's fine if you're into that scene. I dabbled in it, and it didn't suit me at all.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2019, 13:59   #14
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I'm keeping onto one "big revolver" for nostalgia sake.

Un-molested Ruger .357 three-screw.

Because I'm a committed Skeeter Skelton fan.

Never gets fired. I at least keep it in the front of the safe so I can be reminded of Skeeter when I open the safe.

Last time I fired it.
(And might well be the last time I ever do fire it.)

Old July 03, 2019, 14:08   #15
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Ive never even fondled one.
A couple of years ago I had a 2.5" Ruger SR (Alaskan), a 6" 629, and an 8" Colt Anaconda you could have had all side by side for comparison. Like WEG said however (with the exception of Colts for me) the wheel guns did not do much for me and have since found new homes, except of course the Colt.

When you are here next week I'll let you fondle my 8" Anaconda if you like, but you must promise not to tell anyone and for certain don't post anything about it on the internet
Old July 03, 2019, 20:35   #16
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
I have SRHs in .44 mag & .480 Ruger. The .44 wears a Burris FastFire and I use it for whitetail. I’ve found it pleasant to take up into a tree stand vs a rifle, takes up no space in stand with the bandelero-style holster I use. The .480 I have for fun, with possible use for a future black bear hunt. Both are fun to shoot, and are better-than-reasonably accurate. I can shoot both well, probably because I can tolerate several cylinders out of each without fatigue.

They are big-ass pistols—not svelte or sexy, but attractive in the same way a plus-sized western wear model can sometimes be.....if you’re into that kind of thing....I mean, it’s a Ruger for fucksake, not a Colt.

I’m saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about what’s enough. And for God’s sake, think about who you are.” - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2019, 21:49   #17
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

Cant say I have a grand plan on what I want to DO with it,,,any more complicated then play with and shoot it,,
I happen to like 44mag and have a literal ton of ammo and reloading stuff already, since there was a time I had a hand full of both revolvers and carbines so chambered and used them quite a bit. Sadly I find myself with only the blackhawk today and while I wont part with it for sentimental reasons, it just dosent hold the shine or interest it once did..
In short, im hoping a new toy might help refresh my big bore interest all over again...

While I have no delusions of bear or other big scary beast defense, its likely I might develop the itch to use it to drop some venison with,,,,, instead of my usual front stuffer, 45-70, or whatever wild hair happens to bite that year.
I have done that with the blackhawk before,, once,,but it was also once apon a time when my eyes and open sights got along much better than today.
By strange coincidence, I also already have a nice B&L 4x silver pistol scope thats lonely and in need for purpose again.
So, when a possible trade deal for one appeared on the radar it perked my interest as a chance to move something that dosent currently interest me for something that hopefully will more....
Isent that what its always about with toys,,,lol,,
Cheers, yv
Old July 04, 2019, 09:18   #18
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Toys are good.

I guess.

I got three closets full of them.

Won’t mention the piles.

Well-heeled buddy of mine got one of them.480’s.
Said he was gonna “make some grips for it.” That was three years ago. But in fairness, he’s got a lot worse piles-problem than me.

Old July 05, 2019, 07:24   #19
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Toys are good.

I guess.

I got three closets full of them.

Won’t mention the piles.

Well-heeled buddy of mine got one of them.480’s.
Said he was gonna “make some grips for it.” That was three years ago. But in fairness, he’s got a lot worse piles-problem than me.
Thats actually kind of sad,,,,maybe its time to rotate some of those toys for others that arent such a burden,,,,just saying..
Old July 05, 2019, 09:30   #20
Southern 7.62
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 79321
Quote:
Im down to an old 3 screw super blackhawk and am needing something else in 44mag.
While I'd really prefer a 629 5", Ive a line on a 7.5" super redhawk that I could probably trade into pretty fairly.
Anyone have thoughts or input on the super redhawk,,,Ive never even fondled one..TIA.
Cheers, yv
My thoughts are this. Comparing my Super Redhawk which is a newer model with the factory rubber grips (I believe Hogue makes these for Ruger) to older models with the wood/rubber grips to my Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag (wood grips) to SW 629's and a SW 29 (wood grips) that I've owned, this particular SRH has less felt recoil than the others I just mentioned. Mainly due to the grips. Mine is well built and heavy. If I were looking for a nostalgia piece, I would go for an older SW629. In my opinion, my Ruger SRH is a hunting tool. I like the looks of my Stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk better than the Super Redhawk, but when it comes to shooting, the SRH wins for me, due to less felt recoil. The Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag starts to get old in the recoil department after about 20 rounds of .44 Mag. Then again, the .44 Mag is not a good plinking round anyway...but for some maybe it is.
Southern 7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 05, 2019, 10:46   #21
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
Picked up a used Redhawk in 45LC recently - figure it will be good for shooting handloads too hot for my S&W Mountain Gun.

Super Redhawks seems too massive to be practical - the Redhawk is oversized to begin with.
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 05, 2019, 20:49   #22
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern 7.62 View Post
The Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag starts to get old in the recoil department after about 20 rounds of .44 Mag.
My 5.5" Super BH came to me with an absolute abomination of Hogue rubber grips. Hard on the eyes but they sure make it a joy to shoot. Anyway, as I noted above iffin I just want to enjoy looking at a .44 magnum I will pull out my stainless Redhawk, which shoots pretty nicely too but doesn't pack as easily.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2019, 04:18   #23
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
Gotta love the big bore revolvers.

I have two Ruger Blackhawk flat top 44 magnums, a minty 59 and a nice 61 which is my main shooter of the two. I also have a 1969 dated Super Blackhawk which is a tack driver and more comfortable to fire than the previous 44's I mentioned.
My most recent purchase was a S&W Model 29-5 Classic with a 8,3/8" barrel. It's about too pretty to shoot but it will accompany me deer hunting (in good weather). I agree that the Super Redhawk is a bit overbuilt for the 44 magnum so I bought an early target gray example in 480 and love shooting it with an old Aimpoint 2000 mounted on it.

But talking about overbuilt Rugers, my early 80's Redhawk in 357 is a great example. Accurate too!

Best Drop 8 time, 9.41, 8 for 8
6.5 Grendel AR15

Last edited by parallaxbill; August 03, 2019 at 04:32.
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2019, 04:23   #24
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvcdl View Post
Picked up a used Redhawk in 45LC recently - figure it will be good for shooting handloads too hot for my S&W Mountain Gun.

Super Redhawks seems too massive to be practical - the Redhawk is oversized to begin with.
Try some of Underwood's heavy 300 gr +P loads in it. I shoot em out of my 4.2" Redhawk in 45 Colt. They make nice fireballs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1oQ9YFR5Lg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWHwTFHOToo

Best Drop 8 time, 9.41, 8 for 8
6.5 Grendel AR15
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2019, 17:29   #25
Wecsogery
Registered

FALaholic #: 73856
Ok, time to necro this thread.

I used to think Super Redhawks were ugly. Then I got one. Now I have three. Two in .454 Casull and one in .480. Wouldn't mind having one in .44 Mag, just because.
And yes, .44 Mag is definitely a plinking cartridge. As is .454 Casull!
Wecsogery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 01, 2019, 18:13   #26
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Have owned multiple Red Hawks and one which was sent to a reputable Ruger wheel gun smith. Never got the accuracy or ergonomics I ever wanted from a Red Hawk. My only current 44 Mags are Colts and Rossi. Have a Taurus 444 Raging Bull 8 3/4" along with 6 3/4" Raging Hunter 44 magnum and Taurus Tracker 44 Mag with 4" barrel and five round capacity that makes a fine carry or pack pistol for large bore emergencies. After found myself with a 454 Casull Mag Raging Bull, pair of Raging Hornets in 22 Hornet I love for emergency varmint pistols (one 4x scoped and one iron sights) started collecting the Taurus higher end varients that often ended up with low production numbers for collecting purposes but most importantly have all been great shooters. Also have a pair of 6" Trackers in 22 Magnum which shoot all the time.

That said would not trade or sell any of my Ruger Single Action Black Hawks or Flat Tops in 44 magnum. Have a Black Hawk that was worked over for IMSHA that is sweet of a 44 mag shooter as ever used. Of course it has custom grips made to fit my hand along with a lot of alterations including hammer modification so my thumb drops perfectly on spur for cocking without changing grip if laying in the odd reverse prone position that was so popular for IHMSA using thigh and calf for bracing gun with blast pad to keep side spit from the barrel/cylinder gap from scorching your leg even with tightened tolerance.

All that leads to my favorite 44 and 357 magnums for IHMSA and other sports plus carry being my swap barrel Dan Wessons. Based on lots of testing a person could close up barrel cylinder gap so much would have to clean from to cylinder every 30 to 50 rounds so the cylinder and forcing cone would not bind against each other due to carbon deposits and using torque wrench to play with tension on barrel nut adjusting harmonics of barrel could make a huge difference on ability to knock down the long distance rams or pick of the tiny chickens because hour pistol could be tuned to load and get maximum velocity by running minimum gap to loose pressure.

Have two fully complete pistol packs down to patch, belt buckle both sets of grips and every length barrel. One in 44 mag and another in 357 mag. Have partial pistol packs in 44 mag, 357 mag, 41 mag and almost complete 357 Maximum. Am still picking up barrels and accessories to complete these last three pistol packs but the 357 Maximum is only missing the short barrel and never really looked overly hard for it as it always has the longest barrel and stays set up in IHMSA configuration in case the sport ever blooms again and matches start popping up around me. The 357 Maximum was the best IHMSA round I ever used as could use a heavy enough bullet to knock over the rams with authority and still shoot flat thus needing the least change in elevation dope from one line to the next and had least wind drift issues as could use a longer and skinnier bullet that had better B.C. that a 44 mag. This was when only 454s were $2,000+ Freedom Arms with a year wait list for new or custom.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote