The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The HK Files

Notices

Old August 17, 2019, 14:03   #1
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
PTR 91 CT vs SC plant manufactured guns

I've run across a local PTR 91 at a very reasonable price and just had one question for folks. It is an SCC model with fluted barrel made in Connecticut. Are the earlier guns made in Connecticut better or worse than those made in South Carolina? Only reason I ask is because there were rumblings years ago about problems with earlier PTR91s. Just don't want to buy someone else's problems.

Thanks
Old August 18, 2019, 09:25   #2
AGG
Registered

FALaholic #: 27127
If it is a "J.L.D. Enterprises, Inc./Farmington, CT." (SN AXXXX- complete rifles, BXXXX- receiver builds, or CXXXX)(original HK91 spec 12-flute barrel, or Wilson 10-flute barrel), then you are fine--- if "PTR.91 INC./FARMINGTON, CT" (SN AWXXXX or GIXXXX- under @ 2000), then it could be hit or miss!!!
"PTR INDUSTRIES, INC./AYNOR, SC" > "PTR.91 INC./FARMINGTON, CT", unless you have smithin' skills.

Tony

Last edited by AGG; August 19, 2019 at 08:26.
AGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019, 15:54   #3
Bubacus
Registered

Thanks for the info....here is what the seller posted. Didn't see the side of the reciever:

Old August 18, 2019, 18:03   #4
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
No idea on the differences, but my SC-made PTR is spectacular.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019, 22:49   #5
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
It is interesting that you see a difference in plant. The JLDs were the ones with bad US trunions- no?
Old August 19, 2019, 08:36   #6
AGG
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubacus View Post
Thanks for the info....here is what the seller posted. Didn't see the side of the reciever:

Appears to be a PTR INDUSTRIES, INC./BRISTOL, CT. (> AW9900), so you should be alright!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
It is interesting that you see a difference in plant. The JLDs were the ones with bad US trunions- no?
The J.L.D. Enterprises, Inc./Farmington, CT. (AXXXX) were the better rifles (using HK/Rheinmetall/EBO/FMP parts)--- the PTR.91.INC./FARMINGTON, CT (< AW9900) were problematic!!!

Tony
Old August 19, 2019, 09:09   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG View Post
Appears to be a PTR INDUSTRIES, INC./BRISTOL, CT. (> AW9900), so you should be alright!!!

The J.L.D. Enterprises, Inc./Farmington, CT. (AXXXX) were the better rifles (using HK/Rheinmetall/EBO/FMP parts)--- the PTR.91.INC./FARMINGTON, CT (< AW9900) were problematic!!!

Tony
Sorry I'm having trouble following your bizarre rainbow style of writing.

Having repaired a number of JLDs, and owned many more, they were NOT exempt from problems. Grossly oversize barrel pins essentially ruining the trunion, being the primary one - with poor shelf height and sight alignment being very common as well.. This was before they screwed their vendors and closed shop, reopening as PTR.

While they have gotten better cosmetically, and their receivers have always been pretty good (done many builds on them), lets not pretend there is some magical quality difference by zip code.
Old August 19, 2019, 10:23   #8
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
The grumbles about the older PTR rifles was change they made in the fluting of the barrels and which was rectified with the GI model which restored the G3 deeper flutes.

Anyways I have a 2013 CT built rifle. Right out of the box it had canted sights and some other issue, can't remember. But they took it back, repaired it. Then the bolt gap dropped very fast, so PTR, now in SC, took back the rifle again and repaired it and re did the trunnion. I think that must have been 2015, 2016 or so. Last couple of times I checked the bolt gap it was holding. Only shot it about 60 rounds this year, really need to get it out, check the bolt gap and clean it.

That said PTR took the rifle back twice with no beef and returned it in a reasonable time frame. Also the rifle itself is very accurate and reliable. I can only remember one time the rifle choked and that was when it was new and it didn't like a round of PMC 308. I've been shooting 1975 and 1976 Hirtenberger out of it and it's been chugging along fine.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019, 07:46   #9
Old Sarge
Veteran Member
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3030
I have one made in CT and one made in SC. The SC is way harder to cock for some reason then the CT one? Both are the GI model, the later being the one with the flapper mag release and the metal trigger housing is the hard to cock one.

Old Sarge
Old August 20, 2019, 08:05   #10
AGG
Registered

Quote:
Sorry I'm having trouble following your bizarre rainbow style of writing.

Having repaired a number of JLDs, and owned many more, they were NOT exempt from problems. Grossly oversize barrel pins essentially ruining the trunion, being the primary one - with poor shelf height and sight alignment being very common as well.. This was before they screwed their vendors and closed shop, reopening as PTR.

While they have gotten better cosmetically, and their receivers have always been pretty good (done many builds on them), lets not pretend there is some magical quality difference by zip code.
Better???
What I am saying is that I keep up with specifics on the JLD (AXXXX)/PTR91 Inc. (AWXXXXX)- Farmington, CT.- models, and base my opinions on collected information (i.e., AXXXX > AWXXXX, or more problems with PTR91 Inc., than JLD, same zip code).
Your smithin' skills are above most excellent--- and if you record the specifics (AXXXX/AWXXXX) of your repairs, then I will defer to your conclusions.

Tony
Old August 20, 2019, 15:48   #11
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
The one made in CT will likely have a milsurp HK or FMP bolt head and locking wedge. The one made in SC will likely have commercial parts. Factor that in.
Old August 20, 2019, 17:53   #12
Bubacus
Registered

Thanks for the input...I decided to pick it up later this week. I'm not wild about the handgaurd. I'll be looking for a wide handgaurd that would fit it. It looks shorter than the standard G3 handgaurd. Any suggestions on what size I should be looking for to replace the one one the gun currently?

Thanks
Old August 21, 2019, 13:55   #13
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubacus View Post
Thanks for the input...I decided to pick it up later this week. I'm not wild about the handgaurd. I'll be looking for a wide handgaurd that would fit it. It looks shorter than the standard G3 handgaurd. Any suggestions on what size I should be looking for to replace the one one the gun currently?

Thanks
One of these, IIRC:

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/H...D-119p4723.htm
Old August 31, 2019, 14:40   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Both of my HK 91/G3's are in stunning condition. One could go back in box and pass for NOS unshot since factory test as has less than 500 rounds from bench only. Other shows minor wear but has been taken great care of with guessing 2,000 to 3,000 rounds down bore. Thus they have become vault queens and if want to shoot a G3 take out a CETME of which eight of ten assume G3 at public ranges till told differently. I do really want a binary trigger pack for G3 but know if install would be tempted to put some wear on at least one of my HK 91/G3's.

Been considering a PTR 91 for some time. Currently the PTR 111 pistol with 12" barrel then adding a PTR PDW Pistol Stabilizing Brace with suppressor adapter as one option. Preferred option is to pin a suppressor which would bring barrel length up to 18" then add a G3/HK 91 A3 Retractable Stock with a binary trigger pack which classifies it as a rifle without a stamp for an SBR. Would be compact, only require a single stamp and if required to lay down rounds the combination of suppressor and binary fire control system would be wicked of caught on the wrong side. With stock collapsed would still be easy to stow at 30" OAL with suppressor mounted and stock collapsed.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2019, 19:26   #15
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
Quote:
Mine went from middle spec bolt gap to dangerous in under 500 rds. Ghillie Bear fixed it and I got rid of it.
Old October 20, 2019, 23:38   #16
rurallife
Registered

FALaholic #: 82777
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Crusher View Post
Mine went from middle spec bolt gap to dangerous in under 500 rds. Ghillie Bear fixed it and I got rid of it.
It'd be nice to know the serial number. Certain stretches obviously had problems.

Here's a thread from long ago, last post relays info from PTR when they used to answer questions about the old stuffs.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/P...BERS/9-378820/
rurallife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2019, 19:31   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Following this thread fairly closely as shopping for a PTR 91 to most likely chop barrel then pin a suppressor keeping an 18" to 20" OAL barrel length with the can. Any suggestions for what repurcussions are going to ensue converting a PTR to a full time suppressor gun? Have an FAL that has run only with a suppressor for about two years now but unpinned as has a 16" barrel so can swap gas plug and switch back to unsuppressed. Have a passel of pinned short barrel AR's and realize most rifles have some necessary changes to keep a permanent can nailed on it from causing issues down the road.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote