The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Daewoo Files

Notices

Old February 21, 2020, 22:06   #1
Icer
Registered

FALaholic #: 82501
DAEWOO RIFLE INFORMATION/FAQ

Here is some Daewoo rifle info I've collected over the past year, much of it from threads here on the Daewoo board.
I'm not sure if it is sticky worthy but I have found it convenient to have all this info in one location as a reference. Mods can decide if it's worth pinning.
Once again this is information I have collected over time and much of it is not my own work. I have corrected portions for grammar and syntax.
If someone finds part of it questionable or obviously incorrect please let me know and I will correct it.
Without further ado...

DAEWOO MODELS AND CHARACTERISTICS
K1 (K1A1)... Wire stock, direct gas, 10.4" carbine barrel with 1:12" rifling, SELECT FIRE
K2 (K2A1)... Folding stock, gas piston, 18.3" rifle barrel with 1:7.3" rifling, SELECT FIRE
K1A1, MAX1, AR100C... civilian export version of K1, 16" carbine barrel with 1:12" rifling
K2, MAX2, AR100... civilian export version of K2, 18.3" rifle barrel with either 1:7.3" or 1 in 12" rifling
DR200... 5.56, post 1994 civilian export MAX2/AR100 rifle, thumbhole stock and neutered muzzle, 18.3" rifle barrel with 1:12" rifling
DR300... 7.62x39, post 1994 civilian export MAX2/AR100 rifle, thumbhole stock and neutered muzzle

Pre-ban folders... K2, MAXII, AR100 use 1 in 7.3" although some very early models may have 1 in 12"
Post ban folder... DR200 use 1 in 12"
Pre-ban retractables (K1A1, MAXI, AR110C) have both 1 in 12" and 1 in 7.3"
The ROK used the K1A1 first in 1 in 12" to replace the M3 Grease Guns they had, and later switched to 1 in 7.3" in that gun when they bought the K2 and went to 1 in 7.3" to stay compatible with us when we went from the A1 (1/12) to the A2 (1/7). So the K1A1's came in both flavors, and that's why they may be either since they used both type barrels in production for the US export version. So you have to check the K1 types to be sure.

ADJUSTABLE GAS SYSTEM
* Control of gas operation 4 positions by gas regulator rotation.
o O - Closed position, when firing a rifle grenade
o L - Full open position, in adverse condition
o M - Medium open position, in normal condition
o S - Small open position, extreme heat
The gas regulator is mounted at the front to the cylinder and has a milled cap which can be rotated to one of the positions marked respectively O, L, M and S.
To rotate the gas regulator, depress the detent and rotate the gas regulator.
Set to 'O' the valve is fully closed, no gas passes to the cylinder, and it may be used for launching rifle grenades.
The normal firing position is with the regulator set on 'M'.
'L' is an oversized port reserved for those occasions when the rifle is lacking in energy due to fouling, entry of sand or snow, or "light" loads.
'S' is an undersized port reserved for situations when the rifle has excessive recoil energy due to extreme heat or "hot" loads.

DAEWOO DR200 MUZZLE BRAKE REMOVAL
The DR200 muzzle brakes are silver soldered on and when you heat it up to remove it, there's a chance the barrel finish will change even with a wet rag on it. A lot of people just get it cut down and re-threaded.
Even though the threads are 1/2 x 28, they are really long so you'll bottom out an ar15 flash hider and leave exposed threads. you can use a check nut to take up some of the threads.
I pulled mine off with a mapp torch. Used that heat jelly all over, I should have squirted some down the barrel thinking back but it worked great. Pipe wrench and it came right off. Not sure if it will help but tilt the barrel downward to reduce the amount of silver solder from traveling up the barrel on the outside. Worth a try and can't hurt.
I had mine shortened & threaded, & my smith didn't have to remove the barrel. Some have a "jig" where they can put the whole barreled upper in a lathe & cut the barrel.

BARREL REMOVAL
Pull the female-threaded pin on the bottom. (I just found a screw that would fit, ran it in, and wanked it out - didn't take much force). You might have to tap the barrel extension out using a wooden dowel or something. I just pulled and slightly twisted on mine and it came right out.
The gas block is just like an AR - it has two tapered pins that need to be punched out in the correct direction. One thing to note is that the gas block is a .625 ID, like the pencil-barreled ARs.

A better explanation (thanks to dawg180):
Remove upper from lower and pull bolt carrier group, remove handguards
Look at the underside of the upper receiver at the front, you will see a 'plug' with internal threading.
Find a screw that threads into it.
Pull the plug out with the screw (may need pliers to pull on the screw)
Get a chunk of 1" dowel rod, put in receiver form rear like you insert the bot carrier group, give the dowl rod a couple of whacks with a rubber deadblow mallet, the barrel will work itself out the front of the reciever.
Knock the two pins out of the lower portion of the front site base, and slide front sight base off the front of the barrel (will need to remove flash hider, may need MAPP torch).

DIMENSIONS
Barrel length (with extension and without muzzle device): roughly 18-13/16"
Barrel OD @ gas block: 0.625
Extension OD: 1.000
FYI: Gas port hole in a DR200 barrel pin gauges at .101 And the gas port hole in the gas block is .139.
Screw size for the K2/DR200 scope rail are M5-.8 thread.

PARTS INTERCHANGEABILITY
AR parts that fit ALL Daewoo models
--front push pin to hold upper and lower together
--firing pin retaining pin
--bolt cam
--extractor pin
--extractor(shorter but will work)
--fire control/trigger group
--trigger
--disconnector
--hammer will work if you change disconnector
--trigger, hammer, and disconnector springs
Parts for the K1A1
--AR-15 bolt
--AR-15 firing pin
Parts – Non-adaptable
--The firing pin on the Daewoo K2/DR200 is longer than an AR.
--AR bolt is shorter from the lugs to the cam pin hole so it could not be made to work.
--The Daewoo hammer & trigger pins are longer (Colt 901 pins will work).
--The safety/selector on the Daewoo is also longer and the AR safety/selector will not work.
--The bolt catch is longer on the Daewoo also.

DAEWOO CHARACTERISTICS AND COMPARISONS
I used to own a preban DAEWOO AR100 with side folding stock, it was identical to the rifle used by the ROK military.
It was compact, very accurate and extremely reliable, it's better than an AR15 in my opinion.
It is a hybrid of the AR15, Galil, FNC, FAL, AK, HK and of very high quality manufacturing.
It features a forged alloy receiver, polymer side folder stock, polymer handguards with stainless steel heat shield, adjustable gas regulator, long three slotted bird cage flash hider grenade launcher combo, and a FAL style pistol grip with a compartment for oil/solvent.
Trigger guard also has a detent so you can open for use with gloved hands like an AR, has a bayonet lug that accepts anything that fits on a M16/AR15.
The front sight housing has a heavy duty protective assembly with a HK style appearance, the side folder stock is very similar in design to an FN/FNC or Galil rifle with a heavy duty solid locking lug design.
The rear site is the same as the M16A1 with a rotating drum and also has a adjustable flip up peep sight for long range or shorter combat ranges.
The Daewoo rifle also accepts the same magazines used by the M16/AR15, including drums.
The barrel has a chrome lined chamber and bore for extreme durability and reliability in harsh combat conditions.
The gas system is similar to a Israeli Galil/AK47 with a long gas piston, but the rotating bolt, bolt carrier is closer to the type used on an AR15/M16.
The bolt carrier also has been chrome lined for added durability, but the Daewoo bolt carrier is not compatible with the AR bolt carrier, it's much shorter.
The AK style gas piston appears to be hard chromed for durability and long service life.
Some of the fire control parts like the hammer, disconnector, and trigger are interchangeable with an AR15.
The Daewoo firing pin looks similar to an AR firing pin but is not the same and is not interchangeable.
The extractor looks similar to an AR's and an AR extractor is interchangeable, all the detent pins & small springs are the same as used in a AR15.
The grip screw & washer is the same as a AR15.
The flash hider muzzle threads on the Daewoo are the same size used on M16/AR15's but has a little extra room for a locking nut, so anything that fits the muzzle of an AR will fit on the Daewoo.
The cotter pin & bolt cam pin is the same as the AR15/M16, the sling swivels are the same size as the AR and any M16 sling will fit.

IMPORTER INFORMATION
IMPORTER-----------------LOCATION-------------------MODELS IMPORTED

STOEGER IND.------------S.HACKENSACK N.J.---------K2, K1A1, MAXI, MAXII
I.A. CO.-------------------SAC'TO CA--------------------K2, K1A1, AR100, AR110C
B-WEST-------------------TUCSON, AZ.------------------DR200
KIMBER-------------------CLACKAMAS, OR.-------------DR200, DR300

IA CO was the importer. Old Sacramento Armoury was the retail branch.
From a thread on CALGUNS:
"IA CO SAC CA which stands for InterAmerican Company, Sacramento, California which also was known as InterAmerican Import Export Company.
InterAmerican imported firearms and parts kits from China, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, England, Germany, Israel, Australia, Brazil and some other countries. Pacific International Merchandising Co (PIMCO), along with Armex Intl (a class 3 dealer) and Old Sacramento Armoury (a retail gun store) were the three different extensions that distributed the wares of InterAmerican at the local retail, wholesale and class 3 levels.

SERIAL NUMBERS
This little list is based on some observed serials and is not at all scientific and should not be taken as proven fact. I am providing it just as a very
general list and for research only. Interestingly, it seems that Daewoo did not always make its rifles in a strict order, with some higher serial guns
apparently shipped out before some lower ones. Also, it seems that some serial blocks were skipped or done out of order. Since the factory has never
released production information, we may never really know.

>MAXI ------- 028xxx to 029xxx range
>K1A1 ------- 016xxx to ? and 030xxx to 031xxx range
>AR100C ---- 031xxx to 032xxx range
>MAXII ------ 30xxxx to 36xxxx range
>K2 ---------- 30xxxx to ? and 38xxxx to 45xxxx range
>AR100 ------ 45xxxx to 52xxxx range
>DR200 ------ 43xxxx to 72xxxx range for B-West
>DR200 ------ RA000xxx to RA0032xx range for Kimber *
>DR300 ------ RB000xxx to ? range

*Kimber imported DR-200's with RA prefix's are also seen with SN's in the B-West serial number range

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
"I have both a K2 and a DR200, can I switch the bolts and carriers between the two w/o worrying about head spacing? Also the K2 has the piston pinned to the carrier, why?"

The early K2's have the gas piston extension pinned to the carrier and a cut cam pin. Later ones do not. I do not believe the two are interchangeable. Slight dimensional differences and all that.
You should be able to swap bolts, but I'd check headspace anyway. Not that you could do much about it if it were wrong, but it might keep you from blowing up a rifle.
In addition to having pinned carriers early model K2's will also have a different rear sight screw mount, uneven height optic mounting points on the upper, 1 in 12" twist barrels, and a recoil spring assembly that lacks a flip lock for rifle break down.

"Can uppers be switched between K2 and K1A1 models?"

The lowers are 99% interchangeable between the K1A1 and K2 rifles. The K2 lower fits the K1A1 without any issues. The K1A1 upper has some extra material removed to allow the collapsible stock to fully collapse. The K2 receiver does not, so the collapsible K1A1 stock cannot fully collapse when installed on the K2 upper

Last edited by Icer; March 27, 2020 at 17:13.
Icer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2020, 23:46   #2
jjjxlr8
Registered

FALaholic #: 34903
Nice list!

Some other useful information in no particular order.

Serial numbers for the early Stoeger imported K2 marked rifles seem to start with 30xxxx I've now seen 3 like this, including the one I currently own.

Also, K1A1 serial numbers started much lower. 016xxx. Also imported by Stoeger. I think Stoeger might have been the first importer of these Daewoo rifles, based on serial numbers.

Screws for the K2 scope rail are M5-.8 thread.

The lowers are 99% interchangeable between the K1A1 and K2 rifles. The K2 lower fits the K1A1 without any issues. The K1A1 upper has some extra material removed to allow the collapsible stock to fully collapse. The K2 receiver does not, so the collapsible K1A1 stock cannot fully collapse when installed on the K2 upper (see photo below).

Last edited by jjjxlr8; February 21, 2020 at 23:59.
jjjxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020, 01:11   #3
Icer
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
Nice list!

Some other useful information in no particular order.

Serial numbers for the early Stoeger imported K2 marked rifles seem to start with 30xxxx I've now seen 3 like this, including the one I currently own.

Also, K1A1 serial numbers started much lower. 016xxx. Also imported by Stoeger. I think Stoeger might have been the first importer of these Daewoo rifles, based on serial numbers.

Screws for the K2 scope rail are M5-.8 thread.

The lowers are 99% interchangeable between the K1A1 and K2 rifles. The K2 lower fits the K1A1 without any issues. The K1A1 upper has some extra material removed to allow the collapsible stock to fully collapse. The K2 receiver does not, so the collapsible K1A1 stock cannot fully collapse when installed on the K2 upper (see photo below).
Thanks for the info jjjxlr8, I've added it to the OP!
Old February 22, 2020, 04:07   #4
Molonious
Registered

FALaholic #: 79315
Thanks for sharing this, it's super helpful.
Molonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020, 07:40   #5
rarecat
Registered

FALaholic #: 41232
my Stoeger K1A1 is 18435
rarecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020, 08:26   #6
jjjxlr8
Registered

FALaholic #: 34903
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarecat View Post
my Stoeger K1A1 is 18435
018435?
jjjxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2020, 13:05   #7
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
Much appreciated Icer. This is a great reference.
Old March 06, 2020, 09:57   #8
fubar
Registered

FALaholic #: 1994
This thread needs to be made a Sticky
Old March 20, 2020, 14:00   #9
aardq
Registered

FALaholic #: 18645
Woo DR-200 serial

DR-200, Kimber, Clackmas, RA003249
aardq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2020, 21:22   #10
Icer
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardq View Post
DR-200, Kimber, Clackmas, RA003249
Thanks aardq, I've added it to the OP!
Old March 26, 2020, 06:41   #11
Tad_07
Registered

FALaholic #: 79492
DR200 Kimber Import RA434xxx

So range is definitely higher or different batch.
Tad_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2020, 01:37   #12
Icer
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad_07 View Post
DR200 Kimber Import RA434xxx

So range is definitely higher or different batch.
Interesting...definitely sounds like a different batch.
I just found a B-WEST DR-200 on Gunbroker with a 430XXX serial number so I'll be revising that info on the OP.
Does the font for the RA prefix look similar to the six digit numbers on your rifle or is there a possibility the RA prefix was stamped later?
The font for the RA on my early Kimber import is noticeably smaller than the numbers.
Any chance you could post up some pics of the serial number and other markings when you have the time?
Old March 27, 2020, 09:23   #13
AGG
Registered

FALaholic #: 27127
I have data (from the Firearms Reference Data) on all of the models, but 10 pages is too much to post!!!

Tony
AGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2020, 15:52   #14
Icer
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG View Post
I have data (from the Firearms Reference Data) on all of the models, but 10 pages is too much to post!!!

Tony
I figured you would have an exhaustive amount of data AGG.
Consider this effort a cute try by enthusiastic amateurs!
Old March 27, 2020, 16:34   #15
Tad_07
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG View Post

Tony
Links and attachments Are viable post and less work on your behalf. Any tidbits are nice
Old March 27, 2020, 16:35   #16
Tad_07
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer View Post
Interesting...definitely sounds like a different batch.
I just found a B-WEST DR-200 on Gunbroker with a 430XXX serial number so I'll be revising that info on the OP.
Does the font for the RA prefix look similar to the six digit numbers on your rifle or is there a possibility the RA prefix was stamped later?
The font for the RA on my early Kimber import is noticeably smaller than the numbers.
Any chance you could post up some pics of the serial number and other markings when you have the time?
RA size is very close, if not larger than #s. Can post a photo later
Old March 27, 2020, 17:19   #17
Icer
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad_07 View Post
Links and attachments Are viable post and less work on your behalf. Any tidbits are nice
AGG's incredibly detailed and quite exhaustive records are available for sale online at a reasonable price.
Collecting this information has been a true passion of his for many decades and the array of firearms it covers is truly impressive.
Old March 28, 2020, 13:43   #18
AGG
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer View Post
AGG's incredibly detailed and quite exhaustive records are available for sale online at a reasonable price.
Collecting this information has been a true passion of his for many decades and the array of firearms it covers is truly impressive.
Thanks for the kind words!!!
I can email you the current data, and you can reconstitute it here any way you like.

Tony
AGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:16   #19
AGG
Registered

Condensed version of the data:

K1A1 (collapsible stock)(also known as MAX I and AR-110C)

011178 (STOEGER)(K1A1)
016940 (STOEGER)(K1A1)
016985 (STOEGER)(K1A1)
016987 (STOEGER)(K1A1)
017042 (STOEGER)(K1A1)
017225 (STOEGER)(K1A1)
018435 (STOEGER)(K1A1)
018559 (STOEGER)(K1A1)

028240 (STOEGER)(MAX I)
028295 (STOEGER)(MAX I)
028567 (STOEGER)(MAX I)
029805 (STOEGER)(MAX I)

031181 (IACO)(K1A1)
031902 (IACO)(K1A1)
032049 (IACO)(K1A1)
032290 (IACO)(K1A1)

032823 (IACO)(AR-110C)
032927 (IACO)(AR-110C)

395313 (IACO)(AR-110C)

544810 (IACO)(AR-110C)
544867 (IACO)(AR-110C)
547334 (IACO)(AR-110C)

K2 (sidefolding fixed stock)(also known as MAX II and AR-100)

304085 (STOEGER)(K2)
3040XX (STOEGER)(K2)
304757 (STOEGER)(K2)
304942 (STOEGER)(K2)
304950 (IACO)(K2)

323281 (STOEGER)(MAX II)
323577 (STOEGER)(MAX II)
324170 (STOEGER)(MAX II)
324210 (STOEGER)(MAX II)

438105 (IACO)(K2)
446109 (IACO)(K2)

485965 (IACO)(AR-100)