The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old October 05, 2019, 14:34   #1
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64986
Would you put this scope on a Ruger 10/22 Target?

Crosman LR394FFPS1 CenterPoint Spectrum

https://www.crosman.com/3-9x40-mm-riflescope

First Focal Plane
3-9X40mm (ought to be plenty)
Parallax adjustment 10 yards to infinity
Fully multi-coated
Etched glass reticle
Nitrogen purged
LIMITED Lifetime Warranty
Scope < $100 street price, including shipping

My biggest holdup is, is this strictly an air rifle scope or would it hold up to .22 LR?

Or are the recoils of air rifle and .22 LR close enough so as to not matter? This is the 10/22 with the heavy bull barrel. Felt recoil is next to nothing.
Old October 05, 2019, 14:59   #2
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
I think air rifle rated scopes tend to be more durable than standard versions.
Something about the recoil impulse being short and sharp with air rifles.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2019, 16:31   #3
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
It'd probably work just fine, but I'd find a nice pellet rifle to put it on.
If you're going to spend the money to build out or buy a target 10/22, spend a bit more and put a good scope on it. That's my .02 anyway.
Old October 05, 2019, 18:45   #4
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
It'd probably work just fine, but I'd find a nice pellet rifle to put it on.
If you're going to spend the money to build out or buy a target 10/22, spend a bit more and put a good scope on it. That's my .02 anyway.
What features do you think are missing from the list above? Is cost what defines "good"?

While this rifle is on the higher end of 10/22s, it is stock, not a custom build.

I doubt I'll be shooting .22 LR at distances exceeding 100 yards. That's why I think 9X will be more than enough magnification. Far more often I'll be shooting at 50 feet. That's why I want a parallax adjustment that goes down to 10 yards (30 feet). After reading about the difference between first and second focal plane reticles, I think FFP is preferable.

It's got a mil-plex reticle. I forgot to mention this in my feature list above. I expect to use the rifle as a paper punch, so this should do the job.

I expect each manufacturer has its own proprietary multi-coating material. I'll admit the specifications I've seen on this scope do not list the percentage of light transmission, but fully multi-coated lenses are supposed to be the ideal. There are likely other, more costly scopes with higher transmission rates, but it's certainly possible China has appropriated that technology and they could be using it for this scope. Either way, I don't expect to be shooting much at twilight or in the rain and hopefully a 40mm objective lens will gather enough light during the day.
Old October 05, 2019, 20:56   #5
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAndy View Post
What features do you think are missing from the list above? Is cost what defines "good"?

While this rifle is on the higher end of 10/22s, it is stock, not a custom build.

I doubt I'll be shooting .22 LR at distances exceeding 100 yards. That's why I think 9X will be more than enough magnification. Far more often I'll be shooting at 50 feet. That's why I want a parallax adjustment that goes down to 10 yards (30 feet). After reading about the difference between first and second focal plane reticles, I think FFP is preferable.

It's got a mil-plex reticle. I forgot to mention this in my feature list above. I expect to use the rifle as a paper punch, so this should do the job.

I expect each manufacturer has its own proprietary multi-coating material. I'll admit the specifications I've seen on this scope do not list the percentage of light transmission, but fully multi-coated lenses are supposed to be the ideal. There are likely other, more costly scopes with higher transmission rates, but it's certainly possible China has appropriated that technology and they could be using it for this scope. Either way, I don't expect to be shooting much at twilight or in the rain and hopefully a 40mm objective lens will gather enough light during the day.
I don't know that there are any "features" missing from your air rifle scope. It may work just fine for your needs. If you want to put it on your rifle and give it a shot, feel free, its your rifle after all.

My response to your question was more aimed at what I'd do if I had a target rifle that needed a scope. I'd be inclined to put a better scope on it.

I've got a 20+ year old $59 refurbished Bushnell Hunter 3-9x40 on my 10/22. Its the only "inexpensive" glass I currently own...and, I put it on one of my least expensive rifles because I've been down the "inexpensive glass" route before and will no longer go down that path.
enjoy
Old October 06, 2019, 09:23   #6
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
no.

Find a good used bushnell or simmons 1.5-5x shotgun scope. That will serve you a lifetime and will give you a better sight picture from up close to farther away.

You can usually find them on ebay from $45-$80 shipped.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 06, 2019, 10:24   #7
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Your link goes to a Crossman 3-9x scope that would seem to be a centerfire or Big Game scope with MSRP of $199.00. Curiously, the ad shows the reticle at 4x and 12x?
With parallax from 10 yards to inf, it would certainly work for a 22rf. At <$100, it would seem a good buy.

I put a similar scope, Vortex w/parallax, on a Ruger LVT and like the combination. There should be no question about durability.

My concerns would be optical clarity and why this scope gets only a 4 out of 5 rating from two users with no explanation. I would look for independent reviews before buying.
Old October 06, 2019, 14:59   #8
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
Your link goes to a Crossman 3-9x scope that would seem to be a centerfire or Big Game scope with MSRP of $199.00.
Correct.

Quote:
Curiously, the ad shows the reticle at 4x and 12x?
Yes, there are three models of Centerpoint Spectrum scopes. I'm sure they used the picture from the pricier model.

Quote:
With parallax from 10 yards to inf, it would certainly work for a 22rf. At <$100, it would seem a good buy.

I put a similar scope, Vortex w/parallax, on a Ruger LVT and like the combination.
I want a Vortex w/parallax for my .308 Win Weatherby bolt rifle. After much searching, I found one for a little over $300.

Quote:
There should be no question about durability.
Excellent!

Quote:
My concerns would be optical clarity and why this scope gets only a 4 out of 5 rating from two users with no explanation. I would look for independent reviews before buying.
Thanks for your advice!

Here are some other reviews. The first is from Amazon:

Quote:
***** (5 out of 5 stars)
"Love FFP and this scope
October 19, 2018
Verified Purchase
I did not appreciate how much difference first focal plane would make in daily use. It makes such a difference that I would be amazed if I ever used sfp again, if I had a choice. I am not rich enough to replace all my sfp scopes now, but I will over time."
This one's from Optics Planet:

Quote:
Center Point Spectrum 3-9x40 FFP Delivers
***** (5 out of 5 stars)
by Bubba, from TX, United States Written on June 4, 2019
I bought this scope on clearance at Academy for $39.00 to put on a 22 mag...But while waiting for the rifle i put it on my AR15 in 6.5 Grendel and sighted it in at 100 yards.Then I re-sighted it in a t 200 yards and left it.Ive been shooting atleast 50 to 60 rounds a day and its still dead on.I finally bought my Athlon Cronus and put it on my 6.5 Grendel and moved my CP Spectrum to my 22mag and the scope does great on it.I Highly Recommend it..Some Say Cheap..I say Bargain..

Pros: Clear on all settings..Grerat Price..Side Parallax Focus...FFP
Cons: I should have bought 2
Best Used for: Target and hunting
Would recommend: Yes
From All4Shooters.com:

Quote:
Crosman new products 2017: optics, bows and replicas

SHOT Show 2017/ New from Crosmann: riflescopes, bows and replica revolvers. The well-known US manufacturer of air guns, airsoft weapons and bows presented some novelties at the arms fair. We would like to keep you up-to-date from the latest Crosman products.

One of these new items from Crosman are the scopes of the series "Spectrum". There are three of them presented. First two long range models: the model LR412FFPS1 (4-12x44 mm) and the model LR394FFPS1 (3-9x40 mm). These ones features side parallax adjustment for optimal image focus and parallax removal. The other scope is a close range model, the LR142FFp1 (1-4x24 mm). This one features low magnification for quick target acquisition in close-quarter scenarios.

Until now, riflescopes with reticles in the first focal plane have been priced out of reach for value-conscious shooters. But with the Spectrum series, Center Point optics is breaking the price barrier and bringing this exclusive feature to an accessible yet high quality line of scopes. And, of course, the Center Point spectrum series also features best in class optical clarity and high quality materials that performance and durability in any shooting situation. Built with aircraft aluminum, full, one piece tube bodies and glass etched reticles protected by two layers of glass, these scopes offer crisp, presicion optics, durable construction and consistent repeatability. All spectrum scopes will ship in a premium retail box and on-product marketing brand.

From RoundupReviews.com

Quote:
Centerpoint 3-9x40mm SF Spectrum FFP Long Range Rifle Scope 1/4 MOA 1 Tube
4.5 Stars
Category: Rifle Scopes
Condition: New
Brand: CenterPoint
MPN: LR394FFPS1
Old October 06, 2019, 15:15   #9
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor

Thanks everyone!

I was worried about recoil more than anything else. I just found the same NIB scope on eBay for $86 and change, including shipping. One of the pictures in that auction was of the side of the box where it says "100% WATERPROOF FOGPROOF SHOCKPROOF", so I'm pulling the trigger. Better yet, I had a few eBay Bucks, so I got it for under $83.
Old October 08, 2019, 07:46   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I may be blinded than many but for paper punching at 25 and 50 yards I like a 12x and if stretch out to 100 yards 16x does not seek to be too much. Have a pair of Ruger 10/22T hammer forged rifles from the first production run. I worked over the triggers with about $35 Volquartzen trigger kit, $30 bolt kit and the Kids hard rubber covered steel bolt buffer pins. Squared all hammer and sear engagements on Power Custom hammer & sear jig, properly bedded action to stock and properly torqued all assembly screws. Both shoot better than 95%+ of people who pick them up.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2019, 18:10   #11
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
I may be blinded than many but for paper punching at 25 and 50 yards I like a 12x and if stretch out to 100 yards 16x does not seek to be too much. Have a pair of Ruger 10/22T hammer forged rifles from the first production run. I worked over the triggers with about $35 Volquartzen trigger kit, $30 bolt kit and the Kids hard rubber covered steel bolt buffer pins. Squared all hammer and sear engagements on Power Custom hammer & sear jig, properly bedded action to stock and properly torqued all assembly screws. Both shoot better than 95%+ of people who pick them up.
I had a red/green dot sight on mine, but there was no magnification and I think the dot itself was two MOA, maybe larger. I was getting fingernail size groups, but I believe if I can see the center of the target, I may do better.

I'm going to see how this rifle shoots out of the box before I do any upgrades.
Old October 09, 2019, 10:22   #12
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Just a 2 ft/lb change in torque on main assembly screw that holds barreled receiver in stock can change group size significantly. Most of my 10/22's get assembled with a Kidd Torque driver which is preset to their advised torque rating. I do have a few rifles can tweak a little using a calibrated inch/pound torque wrench and wring another 1/8" to 3/16" smaller group from what both Kidd and Volquartzen recommend but very few shoot better if go outside the fixed Kidd Torque driver. Makes assembly a snap as allways know your 10/22's are dead on. Having both screws torqued to exact same value which manufacturer recommends prevents barrel from being in a bind as well.

I have taken a box stock 10/22, mounted scope and fired several dozen groups with several different know good ammo choices. Disassemble, clean them reassemble with exact same parts except use proper torque on all screws and rifle tighten up measurably. Same with Mini 14's. Amazing how badly the gas block can be in a bind from uneven torque on screws. Have dropped up to an inch of a Mini group just torquing easily accessible screws to proper value. Never understood why Ruger doesn't have preset torque drivers at every work station.

Same when mount hour scope. If scope is square and plumb to rifle with all mounting screws properly torqued scope should not be in bind unless scope mounts need lapping. Amazes me how simply tightening screws properly will perk up a lot of Ruger rifles. Good luck as shooting groups is tough with red dots. Do have some 2 MOA 1x red dots that can group o.k. with and some 3x red dots with 1 MOA dots that can shoot groups at 100 but a good scope will almost always outshoot a red dot when punching paper. Bought a used late model 10/22T a year or so back that even with trigger job, bedding and other basic tricks was not shooting near as well as the pair of original first run T models. Lapped the throat after examining with bore scope and dropped 1/2" off its 100 yard groups.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old October 09, 2019, 10:41   #13
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

What is the standard, recommended Kidd and/or Voquartsen torque value (in/lb) for 10-22 action screws?
What about the barrel V-block?

Carlos Castenada
Old October 10, 2019, 08:56   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Tony Kidd recommends 10 inch/lbs for V Block screws though many high end builders say 20 inch/lbs. The driver Kidd sells is preset to 36.6 inch/pounds but many say 30 inch/pounds is the magic number. I torque my V Blocks to 18 inch/pounds and run my action screws to 36.6 on all but a few rifles which vary from 30 to 34 inch pounds based on at bench testing using different rounds till found best combination. Most average rifles won't see a difference between a few inch/pounds but if hang a heavy full profile stainless steel barrel off the end of a 10/22 then want to be sure the V Block is secure but don't want to strip any threads either. The 10/22 forums can provide you with days of reading about torque values.
Old October 10, 2019, 12:39   #15
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

I recall using 10 for the v-block on my 10-22T and 25 for the action screw.
Maybe I'll shoot some groups at 30 and 35 for comparison purposes, based on the Kidd wrench preset value.

Thanks Huey.
Yes, I've passed many an hour in past years on Rimfirecentral, but FF is my only haunt now.

Carlos Castenada
Old October 10, 2019, 17:52   #16
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
I was looking for an air rifle scope. Thank you for the link.

I am a fan of Nikon rim fire scopes, for whatever it is worth.

Here is a solid .22 scope for the $$$. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMX95IA...mfirescopes-20
Old October 15, 2019, 12:23   #17
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor

It's finished...at least for now.

As I mentioned above, I bought the Centerpoint Spectrum 3-9X40mm scope from Crosman. It features a first focal plane, etched glass reticle. The parallax adjustment goes from 10 yards to infinity. The lenses are fully multicoated. It is nitrogen purged and they claim it is waterproof and shockproof. The MSRP is $199, but the street price is less than $100 if you hunt.

I bought a DNZ Products Game Reaper scope mount (#11082). I figure with a one-piece mount there's one less degree of freedom for the scope to get off kilter. MSRP $65; street $40 plus shipping.

I bought the sling from Custom Leather in Canada. No deals there.

Here's what it looks like now:

If Congress ever manages to pass the Hearing Protection Act, I'll have the muzzle threaded for a suppressor. Meanwhile, I refuse to flush $200 down the toilet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger 10_22 Target.jpg (193.7 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by TNAndy; October 15, 2019 at 12:28.
TNAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 20:51   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Seller on fleabay seems to have an unlimited supply of unfired 10/22 20" hammer forged take offs for $169. See them all the time when lurking for deals. Last take off I bought was an auction and paid $99 opening bid on a Ruger take off hammer forged tube that was unfired as seller didn't list properly and had to misspell Ruger to find it in the search.
Old October 19, 2019, 10:30   #19
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
"take offs"
Do you mean "Take Downs"?
Old October 27, 2019, 13:51   #20
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Do you mean "Take Downs"?
No take offs where people remove barrels from new rifles and replace with custom barrels.
Old November 04, 2019, 19:33   #21
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor

From what I've read, some folks buy a 10/22 Target model, strip it down to the action and then use aftermarket parts (that are supposedly better than stock parts) to build a competition rifle. That may be the source of the unfired stock barrels you're talking about.
Old November 07, 2019, 07:55   #22
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
From what I've read, some folks buy a 10/22 Target model, strip it down to the action and then use aftermarket parts (that are supposedly better than stock parts) to build a competition rifle. That may be the source of the unfired stock barrels you're talking about.
Which I don't understand as can buy a skinny barrel Walmart 10/22 or used for much less if need a donor receiver and possibly the trigger housing. If your really intending to build a nice 10/22 can buy a Tactical Innovations 10/22 receiver which is twice the receiver of a factory Ruger 10/22 and don't have to cast off a pile of factory parts.

Have been using the Tactical Innovations receivers with their match grade bolts and extended lightweight charging handle as the foundation for my 10/22 builds and all turn out stunning no matter which direction I go. Can use a fat 22" stainless bulk barrel, Kidd aluminum bull barrel with stainless liner or midweight 1:9 fast twist taper barrels. Then can find used trigger housing on discussion groups, buy Pike machined aluminum housings and have discovered Ruger plastic trigger housings are actually more in spec than many of their metal housings and the polymer blend they use has its own lubricity properties that allow parts to move with less resistance and never had a polymer housing show signs of wear even pin holes ovalizing.

Recently found an old stainless/polished aluminum mix Ruger 10/22 have likely had since first days of stainless 10/22s in corner of a closet. Found a clearance stock at Stocky's, 20" 1:9 heavy taper barrel stainless fast twist barrel and about $50 in odd parts and springs from my 10/22 parts stash. Used the factory trigger housing with a few springs swapped along with hammer. Squared all parts, installed over travel screw and removed the creep then topped with a Nikon 4-12x Rimfire Target BDC scope. If count the "found" donor rifle as free, built a semi custom using all its parts possible for less than a Walmart 10/22.

In turn used the Ruger laminated stock that was discarded from above build along with a Ruger factory blue receiver from the parts pile, factory bolt with Volquartzen bolt tune up kit, factory Ruger barrel (before tear them down shoot about 100 to 200 various rounds through all factory doner rifles and tag each barrels accuracy before it goes in the spare parts box) which showed the best potential grouping with standard velocity mid grade ammo of any stock barrel in the box. Made sure the throat was sharp and square, lapped the barrel, used a V Block with tensioning screw, properly torqued all fasteners, properly bedded factory action and barrel in the laminated factory stock. Rather than build a trigger as am always short trigger housings dropped a $59 sale price BX trigger group in the spare parts rifle and it shoots as well as some customs have seen people paid to have built.

The barrels I was discussing for sale on fleabay sold as unfired factory take offs, especially the hammer forged T tubes, being sold in the hundreds by single vendors has me wondering if they are in fact selling factory Ruger parts and calling the barrels take offs so able to sell cheaper than other factory parts vendors without upsetting their competitors if sold as factory new replacement barrels as many companies don't allow excessive discounting which can upset the profit margin of the parts market. I have purchased two of the factory take off hammer forged barrels and found no marks that I would expect to see on a barrel that had been mounted then removed. Looked like they were out of factory new wrappers. Believe many are nothing but factory new replacement barrels marketed as take offs to avoid other dealers from whining about being undersold.