The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The SIG Files

Notices

Old October 21, 2019, 18:07   #1
metalreptile
Registered

FALaholic #: 26243
How Many SIG 556 Owners? (PIX ADDED POST 16)

I find myself in need of an edujamacation on the SIG 556. Looking like I will have one in my grubby little paws pretty soon. Kinda want to know if I screwed up, or made a good decision to grab it. Not even sure which particular model it is yet. Comes with the rotary drum HK style rear sight, but has a nice Leupold scope mounted at present. Also has a SIG light/laser module vertical foregrip, which I will probably remove once I get it home. Has very few minor ejection port marks, so I don't believe it has been shot much. Finish looks near perfect otherwise. I've never had any experience with these, and saw somewhere that SIG stopped production of them. Really hoping that wasn't due to problems.
So, with all that being said, share your knowledge of them here please! The good, bad, and ugly. Anything I need to be aware of.

Last edited by metalreptile; October 24, 2019 at 15:42.
metalreptile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2019, 18:32   #2
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
I have one of the 556R Gen II models (7.62x39) with the aluminum quad rails. It has the factory scope on it. I use the 20 round Hungarian mags in it. Very clean running accurate rifle. I would be hard pressed to sell it. I love it. It is one of my favorites.
gentlemanjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2019, 18:33   #3
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I don't own one.

I would guess that SIG stopped making them, not because they were bad guns, but because the demand was inadequate to justify continuing to make them.

My advice would be this: Get it and shoot it a lot. If you're not going to shoot it a lot, get rid of it, and get back to shooting the gun you do shoot a lot. I don't predict the SIG to hold any particular value as a rarity or collector's item.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2019, 18:48   #4
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Ive owned two over the years and really liked them.
Fun to shoot, reliable and all and all a really nice weapon.
The reason they were sold or traded off is the fact Sig has stopped making them and getting parts to modify them dried up.
Old October 21, 2019, 18:48   #5
LKY_13
Sig Sauer Me
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41000
Love my SiG 556's. I've owned more models/makes than FALs at this point (although, the numbers are close). Only ever had to send one back to Sig, and that was a short gas system, patrol model. That said; there are some piss-poor ones out there, but these are not very common.

Sounds like you got the SWAT model, as it is the only one that came with that particular vertical grip. Although, it is possible that it was swapped from a different model (unlikely though).

Fantastic rifles! Heavy, to be sure, and not as polished/refined as the Swiss 550/551's. But for the price, I love mine. Especially if you can find one of the early models. These are rare, but will have a grey or light charcoal black upper receiver. Bolt, carrier, fire control group, gas block will all be numbered and or have the original Swiss roll-marks. You can visually see the difference in machining, finish, craftsmanship, coatings. The Swiss FCG is unparalleled, and makes a noticeable difference. Still, some of the US triggers are nice, if properly adjusted/tuned. Most people will not adjust them correctly.

Anyway, I doubt you got a bad one. Pictures will help me to help you.
LKY_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2019, 18:49   #6
cal50
Registered

FALaholic #: 7794
Zero complaints with mine.

Death is still the nations #1 killer.....
cal50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2019, 20:42   #7
metalreptile
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKY_13 View Post
That said; there are some piss-poor ones out there, but these are not very common.

Sounds like you got the SWAT model, as it is the only one that came with that particular vertical grip. Pictures will help me to help you.
Googled some SWAT models and that does seem to possibly be what I have laid away. Those I saw pictured all had some type of pronged looking flash hider, the one I am getting does not. My gun funds are pretty slim, so it may take me a bit to get it home....but pics will definitely be coming once I do!
Thanks for the info guys.....keep it coming!
Old October 21, 2019, 22:19   #8
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalreptile View Post
Googled some SWAT models and that does seem to possibly be what I have laid away. Those I saw pictured all had some type of pronged looking flash hider, the one I am getting does not. My gun funds are pretty slim, so it may take me a bit to get it home....but pics will definitely be coming once I do!
Thanks for the info guys.....keep it coming!
I have one of the SIG 556 Classic SWAT rifles that I have been mostly happy with...

The original ones came with a suppressor host muzzle device, later ones with an AR A2 type device. Mine is the later, and I replaced the A2 with an A1...

If you put the SIG long rail covers on the forend (which I have), you need quite large hands to be comfortable with it (and I have large hands). Even so, it's at the upper edge of what I can settle for in terms of girth. I tried swapping for Magpul ladder rail covers, but it didn't improve the girth enough to make much difference and they didn't feel as good as the original wide SIG ones, so the SIG ones are still on...

The thing that I dislike the most is that the folding stock mechanism is sloppier than I like (it doesn't lock up rock solid), but that may be just my example since I haven't held any others except for a friends 7.62x39mm one, which was mostly junk (it went back to SIG three times for functioning problems before he finally ditched it for good).

The SIG 556 rifle that I have is reliable. I predict that you'll like it...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 00:27   #9
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
I've had two of them, and I loved them.

Sold one to my brother. He loves it.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 08:56   #10
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

FALaholic #: 4936
Sig 550/551

I had both at one time, These were Swiss Guns. They were both new in the transit cases. Shot one, It was great. Sold them both as I was getting back into the NFA Transferable Machine Gun,s.
Old October 22, 2019, 10:40   #11
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Yep,

Love mine. I've had two. One was a very early one with the AR style stock and the second one has the SIG style adjustable stock. Liked the both but the second one looks more aesthetically correct to me and the adjust length of pull is great for body armor or younger folks you are teaching to shoot.

I traded the first one away but the second one always goes to the range when I'm shooting 5.56.

You'll like it.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2019, 20:47   #12
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
I've got a 556 Classic and put a DDLE folder on it and fishgill furniture. I really like the function of the trigger and since my favorite operating system is piston driven in my Fals , AKs and ARs , it filled the bill. I find that when 5.56 rifles goes to the range , I have to decide what to take in addition to her.

Next up is getting my 551 diopter sight installed and flip front sight.
Old October 23, 2019, 21:06   #13
BM59
Registered

FALaholic #: 77492
I love my SC55Xs.

The one on top is originally an SCM which got a barrel job, Swiss HGs, cerakoted upper and a 551 lower. The bottom twos are 551A1s.

Old October 23, 2019, 21:26   #14
Combloc
Registered

FALaholic #: 55596
The closest I have is a Swiss made 551. It's mechanical art, the perfection of the AK only in 5.56:

Last edited by Combloc; October 23, 2019 at 22:15.
Combloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2019, 14:02   #15
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Now that's just mean.

Hey, Combloc - are those both 551 LB? How many millimeters is the barrel length?

Thanks!
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2019, 15:41   #16
metalreptile
Registered

Went to pay some on the layaway today. I got it out to snap a couple of pics. It is indeed a Classic Swat model, apparently a 2009 manufacture. With that being said, is that good or bad? Any problems back that far, or considered slightly better? You can see the laser/light foregrip. It also has a really nice Leupold scope mounted at present. Not sure I will leave any of that on it. Do I have any handguard options?

Old October 24, 2019, 15:50   #17
ftierson
Registered

You'll be happy with it (it's the one I have too).

Yours has the preferred muzzle device vice the AR A2 that mine had.

The SIG rail covers on the handguard are quite comfortable, but you'll find that the girth of the handguard with them on it quite 'chubby.' Whether you can live with that is a function of the size of your hands and whatever else...

I'd be quite happy with 'yours-to-be.'

Forrest
Old October 24, 2019, 18:14   #18
LKY_13
Sig Sauer Me
Contributor

Quote:
With that being said, is that good or bad? Any problems back that far, or considered slightly better?

Do I have any handguard options?
I do not wish to alarm you. However, 2009 is a potential year for problems.

Check:

1. The top rail for proper alignment. I cannot tell from your pics if you have the newer SWAT rail with the integrated top rail that attaches to the receiver. Or, the older three-piece system. Either way, it will be relatively easy to inspect.

2 The bolt carrier for any peening vs the trunnion. Again, easy to spot. Carrier and bolt should be clean, and run smooth. Disconnect the charging handle/cocking handle and tilt the upper in either direction a few degrees to get it moving somewhat slowly. Check both directions several times. Move it slowly by hand next. Check/listen for any hangups/binding/contact. However, make sure you also do a thorough visual inspection as well of receiver, bolt, carrier.

3. Proper barrel index, and head space.

As far as handguards go-- you can use any replacement 556/551 handguards you like. Just note what I said earlier... If you have the top rail monolithic/integrated to the SWAT rail. You will need a new singular top rail with whatever handguards you decide you want.

The Swiss 551 handguards are really nice (not the Swiss style US made HGs). They run about $200 or so (and shipping). I've also seen a few cut-down 550 handguards, and use a retainer plate. Costly, and the retainer plates are a hard find, but the look is rather sim and sexy (if you ask me).

Otherwise, there is nothing inherently wrong with the SWAT handguards you have. They are what I run on my favorite. As they are indestructible. If the pictured rifle you shared above was mine; I'd hunt-down an original Swiss stock. Or, even a US Swiss style stock counterpart. Swap that in. Maybe get an original Swiss FCG or ShootingSight trigger. Dial-in that Leupold, and call it a win/go have fun.

GL! I hope she works out great for you.
Old October 24, 2019, 19:19   #19
metalreptile
Registered

Quote:
I do not wish to alarm you. However, 2009 is a potential year for problems.

Check:

1. The top rail for proper alignment. I cannot tell from your pics if you have the newer SWAT rail with the integrated top rail that attaches to the receiver. Or, the older three-piece system. Either way, it will be relatively easy to inspect.

GL! I hope she works out great for you.

You can barely see the rail section on the receiver in this shot. Can you tell anything from this as to which it has?

Old October 24, 2019, 20:32   #20
Combloc
Registered

FALaholic #: 55596
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Now that's just mean.

Hey, Combloc - are those both 551 LB? How many millimeters is the barrel length?

Thanks!
Yes sir. I don't know the exact length but JDI says they are 17.8".
Old October 25, 2019, 11:26   #21
LKY_13
Sig Sauer Me
Contributor

Quote:
You can barely see the rail section on the receiver in this shot. Can you tell anything from this as to which it has?

3 piece. You can clearly see the separation between the handguards and the top rail on the receiver.
Old October 25, 2019, 12:26   #22
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
3 piece. You can clearly see the separation between the handguards and the top rail on the receiver.
The one that I have, purchased NIB from a distributor in JUN 2011, has the 'one piece rail.' I remember being somewhat disappointed at the time that it didn't come with the earlier muzzle device (like was pictured everywhere), but came with a standard AR A2 'device.' I don't ever plan on using a sound suppressor on the rifle, but the original device looks more like what I thought was coming...

But that does lead to a question...

Do you know whether all the rifles (Classic SWAT) shipped with the A2 flash suppressor had the updated 'rail' system, or is that not a way to tell earlier from later?

Just curious...

Forrest
Old October 25, 2019, 14:18   #23
metalreptile
Registered

Quote:

Thanks! Which is preferred? I would think the 3 piece would make for an easier handguard swap? This is the first SIG rifle I have ever dealt with.......learning as I go!
Old October 25, 2019, 16:20   #24
LKY_13
Sig Sauer Me
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Do you know whether all the rifles (Classic SWAT) shipped with the A2 flash suppressor had the updated 'rail' system, or is that not a way to tell earlier from later?
Yes, I do believe this is correct; from what I've seen. No clue when this transition was made, though. Shame. The Advanced Armament Corp 18T is excellent.

Quote:
Thanks! Which is preferred? I would think the 3 piece would make for an easier handguard swap? This is the first SIG rifle I have ever dealt with.......learning as I go!
My 556 DMR had the monolithic top. I like it just fine. I also have 3 piece assemblies. Which, is a lot easier in your case. Since you want to swap to a regular handguard. No messing with the receiver rail section. Just snap the upper and lower sections off, and go to whatever handguards you want.

Fair warning; you'll likely want a rubber mallet to aid in removing your railed handguards for the first time. They are a tight fit. Once your upper is separated from the lower, you'll tap the lower section rearward. The upper rail is tabbed, and once you get the lower started rearward, you should hear it pop into the alignment slot. Shouldn't take a ton of pressure. I would use a rubber or plastic wedge between it and the mallet. Take your time. No biggie.
Old October 25, 2019, 16:52   #25
metalreptile
Registered

Quote:

My 556 DMR had the monolithic top. I like it just fine. I also have 3 piece assemblies. Which, is a lot easier in your case. Since you want to swap to a regular handguard. No messing with the receiver rail section. Just snap the upper and lower sections off, and go to whatever handguards you want.

Fair warning; you'll likely want a rubber mallet to aid in removing your railed handguards for the first time. They are a tight fit. Once your upper is separated from the lower, you'll tap the lower section rearward. The upper rail is tabbed, and once you get the lower started rearward, you should hear it pop into the alignment slot. Shouldn't take a ton of pressure. I would use a rubber or plastic wedge between it and the mallet. Take your time. No biggie.
Thanks for the info! Pretty sure I will go to a 551 handguard, but I got plenty of time to decide for sure. I'll give the rails a try, but I just don't have much use for hanging all kinds of extra weight on a weapon. They all have their use, but just not for me.
Old October 25, 2019, 17:01   #26
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Yes, I do believe this is correct; from what I've seen. No clue when this transition was made, though. Shame. The Advanced Armament Corp 18T is excellent.

Thanks.

And, yes, the AAC 18T is excellent...

Forrest
Old October 25, 2019, 17:47   #27
cwikjr
Registered

FALaholic #: 74085
I love mine... Put a set of Swiss sights on it much better than the crap ones that came on it... Just got the Swiss fixed folder for it... I ditched the rail on mine too front heavy with it on...

cwikjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2019, 18:52   #28
Casqui1541
Registered

FALaholic #: 75204
I got the first model shortly after they came out. After having a canted gas block corrected, replacing the plastic stock extension tube with a mil-spec metal one, adding a Magpul CTR stock, and replacing the "fishtail" handguards with Swiss 551 handguards, the rifle was closer to what it should have been. I later added the U.S. made diopter sight set; better than the original folding sights.

When they became available, I bought one of the 551A1 lowers. Got lucky, and it came with a Swiss buttstock. A few Swiss mag's later and I have the closest I will likely come to ever having a 551. Handy little package with the stock folded.

Still got the original lower so I can utilize either the Swiss or NATO mag's. Mine has been always been reliable with either lower. It is sufficiently accurate for my needs. Lastly, it's not an AR. Variety is the spice of life.
Casqui1541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2019, 13:43   #29
gaijinsamurai
Registered

FALaholic #: 24362
I have one. One of my favorite rifles.

Super annoyed with SIG Sauer for discontinuing them.
gaijinsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2019, 22:05   #30
Tad_07
Registered

FALaholic #: 79492
I see a lot about trigger adjustment. Anyone have a link or vid on the proper way to adjust? I ended with a swat pistol on a trade that I feel like I came way out on top with.
Tad_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2019, 18:41   #31
LKY_13
Sig Sauer Me
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad_07 View Post
I see a lot about trigger adjustment. Anyone have a link or vid on the proper way to adjust? I ended with a swat pistol on a trade that I feel like I came way out on top with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvLTwGzXXqw&t=115s
Old November 06, 2019, 11:32   #32
jam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 68968
I too have a 556R gen 2. No issues except for broken extractor. Had to send complete rifle to Sig for repair. The repair was free but had to pay for the ride both ways.
There is a mile of creep in the trigger even after adjustment :.
jam762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2019, 08:25   #33
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
So I got the Swat lower attached to the 4 Screw upper......I like it so far. The fish gill hand guard is nice but might have to swap it out too.

Now......I have a spare lower😜.....is there a 7.62x39 upper for these? How about a 300 Black Out.....

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2019, 09:30   #34
metalreptile
Registered

Should have mine home within the next week or so. I think I will post some before and after pix when I get it home. I just hope it's a problem free example. The 2009 date has me a bit concerned until I check it out. These are completely new to me, hopefully I didn't make a bad impulse layaway.....just seemed like the thing to do at the time!
Old Yesterday, 05:21   #35
cwikjr
Registered

FALaholic #: 74085
Just picked this upper up for a SBR project... My test firing didn't go so well after 18 rounds the gas tube separated and the front piece and regulator went 100ft down range... New tubes should be here tomorrow so I'll test it again and hope it works... This is a 2013 production gun according to the tags that came with it...

cwikjr is offline   Reply With Quote