The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The HK Files

Notices

Old February 11, 2020, 18:57   #1
Combloc
Registered

FALaholic #: 55596
MarColMar CETME LV/S in Detail

I just got my grubby hands on two of these jobbers today and wanted to give you folks a couple quick preview pictures of the upcoming LV/S reproduction by MarColMar. Rifles just like this were originally made for Spain's Unidad de Operaciones Especiales (UOE) or, in English, the Special Operations Unit. This coming weekend, I'll take some pictures and get to work on showing you guys what new treat MCM has cooked up. It looks like it should be pretty tasty!

Sasha said she wanted to be included in a picture too:
Old February 12, 2020, 09:44   #2
308@noon
Registered

FALaholic #: 3879
Its all about the Lab...to hell with the rifles.
Old February 12, 2020, 19:30   #3
AGG
Registered

FALaholic #: 27127
We eagerly await the full review!!!

Tony
AGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2020, 20:11   #4
Combloc
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308@noon View Post
Its all about the Lab...to hell with the rifles.
LOL. She does look like a Lab but she's actually a shaved Goldendoodle. She's the most loyal Dog I've ever had the privilege of sharing my life with.

Here she is after she got caught trying to bury a bone in the house:

Anyone who says they don't believe in God has never had a Dog as a companion. They were given to us to make up for being forced to deal with women.

Last edited by Combloc; February 12, 2020 at 20:16.
Combloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2020, 01:56   #5
Combloc
Registered

Alrighty, I found some time for picture taking this past frigid afternoon so now it's time to commence to writin'. I'm not going to go into every little detail about this rifle because if you're reading this, you've probably already read at least one of my other articles about MCM's line of CETME rifles. As much as I absolutely love these things, I must say that it's getting a little redundant going over the same details over and over. Essentially, the LVS is a standard CETME LV except that the combination rear iron sight/STANAG compatible scope mount has been omitted and a proprietary rail designed for the British SUSAT optic has been installed in its place. Because of this, we're only going to look at what's different on the LVS. If you have not read one of my earlier 5.56mm CETME articles and you want learn about all the little details not covered here, simply type one of the titles listed below into the search function of this forum and you can read until you fall asleep:

MarColMar CETME LV in Detail

MarColMar CETME LC (Carbine) in Detail

MarColMar and HMG Cetme L a Detailed Comparison

Let's begin. When your MarColMar (MCM) CETME LVS shows up, it'll be packed in a standard heavy cardboard CETME box but you'll also get a second box too that's made of styrofoam and contains a British made SUSAT 4x scope:

While the scope is a surplus item, it's in new condition and not some beat up and worn out optic. We'll look at it in some detail a little later.

Once you unpack everything, you should have at least everything shown below:

The rifle is well packed in high density foam. The red tag hanging from the trigger guard is a "Don't shoot your eye out" warning tag. Below the rifle and starting from the left we have the SUSAT scope and its shipping box, a red warranty registration card, a long yellow slip of paper with break-in instructions, a bag containing a sample lubrication bottle, an action lock, instruction manual and, on the far right, a new 30 round GI magazine made by Okay Industries.
Notice above that I said that "you should have at least everything shown". The two rifles shown here are pre-production examples made for SHOT-SHOW 2020 and advertising. Currently MCM is taking orders and regular production has not started yet. By the time you receive yours, there will also be a scope adjustment tool and either an updated manual or a separate addendum to the manual containing information germane to the LVS. When I called to place my order, MCM was kind enough to offer me the option of either purchasing the two pre-production rifles or waiting for regular production examples. To my mind, the answer to that one was a no brainer.

They even left the SHOT-SHOW tag on the trigger guard for me:

I think that's just THE neatest thing!!!

On the end of the box is the "what's in the box" label:

Notice that the serial number is "LV-00139". I'm told that regular production rifles will start at LV-015XX. This is because original Spanish made LVS's were made in that number range.
Below the serial number line is the model line. Notice that "LV" is circled. There is no option on this line for LVS. That's because there were no plans to produce an LVS model initially. However, when MCM found a small stash of new condition SUSAT scopes, they couldn't pass up the opportunity and so the reproduction LVS was born. It's a special edition and they are only making 140 of this jobber. The "S" in the upper right hand corner of the label denotes this model.
Although all original rifles were green, I think MCM will make it in Black, Grey or Flat Dark Earth too if you would like, just as they do with standard models.
Furniture is also available in the original Green, as well as Black and Flat Dark Earth.
The reason "N" is circled for rail is because this line refers to the picatinny rail available on standard models, NOT the SA-80 rail attached to the LVS. Say WHAT?? What the hecks is an SA-80 rail?? We'll go over that later.
The last line is marked "HB" because you can have your rifle built with either an original style pencil barrel or a MCM designed heavy barrel.

Here is a right side view of the rifle with scope attached:

Now, I know what you are thinking and yes, the scope looks like it's sitting up so high it might as well be in the stratosphere. First, it sits as high as it did on an original rifle. Second, it's not as high as it looks. The straight line stock configuration makes it look like it's higher than it really is. Third, you have to remember that these were originally built in the 1980's. Later, we're going to look at the scope rise on the LVS compared to some of its contemporaries and you'll see that it's on par with what everyone else was making at the time. You have to remember that tacticool didn't exist back then. Fourth, recoil on all of the 5.56mm CETME rifles is pretty much nil. You cannot fully appreciate that statement until you shoot one. The recoil feels more like a Ruger 10/22 than it does a .223. The CETME truly is the softest shooting rifle in this caliber I've ever shot. And lastly, these rifles were intended to be marksman's rifles, NOT sniper rifles so the fact that you won't get a cheek weld was considered perfectly acceptable. Once you get behind one of these rifles, you'll see that the rise is a non-issue. If it was good enough for Spain's Special Operations Unit, it'll be good enough for your average Range Rambo.

Left side view:

As I said earlier, we're not going to go into redundant details with this rifle that I've already covered three times on other MCM CETME's. Still, there is one weld detail that I do want to talk about a little bit with regards to this model and that's the rear trunnion weld on the side of the receiver. Since the beginning, I have waxed poetic about how much care MCM puts into building these rifles and I've made it abundantly clear just how near perfectly they have recreated parts such as the stock, pistol grip and forearm. But I've also been vocal about how disappointed I have been with the weld at the rear of the trunnion.
Let's take a look at the welds I'm talking about on an original rifle:

There are two welds here and both were dressed by hand so well that they look like two little ramps. In between those welds you can see that the receiver is pierced revealing the rear of the trunnion. MCM did not like this detail because they said it allows gas blowback when the action opens. To prevent this, they ran a single weld down the entire length of this piercing. Fair enough...that DOES make sense to me. BUT, as shown below on an early production rifle, this was the result:

If you've never seen an original rifle, the above might look just fine to you. But I'm the worst mix of a purist and a detail oriented geek so I really focus on minutia and this weld just drove me nuts. Again, I understand that MCM wanted to make it a single long weld to eliminate the blowback issue but come on, at least dress that weld. I wrote it in my articles and I made it clear to Dave Bane; smooth it out....flatten it....give it something of a bevel as seen on original rifles. Well, I guess I nagged those poor people to the point that they got tired of hearing it because, to my pleasant surprise, here is what the trunnion weld looks like on LV-00139:

LV-00140 looks almost identical. It's still not perfect but it's good enough that I'm a happy dude.
To drive the point home, here's an above oblique view of the trunnion weld on an early rifle:

It's all blobby and rounded looking.

And here is the latest to come out of MCM:

It now has a nice flat angle to it and it better approximates an original weld. Thanks guys! My honey tells me I'm a nag. I guess it's true!

And with that, I'm signing off for the evening. I'll be back tomorrow with more. Bye for now!

Last edited by Combloc; February 17, 2020 at 00:38.
Old February 16, 2020, 11:18   #6
AGG
Registered

FALaholic #: 27127
Thanks for the excellent follow up!!!

Tony
AGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2020, 12:22   #7
Combloc
Registered

You are always so kind Tony. Thank you!
Old February 17, 2020, 02:57   #8
Combloc
Registered

Let's take a look at the scope rail on the LVS. We'll start by taking a look at an original:

I found this picture on a Spanish auction site. I'm sorry the quality is poor but there were very few LVS rifles ever made so I have to use what I can find.
And here is MarColMar's recreation:

If you ask me, it's a read ringer for an original. I'm told that early LVS rifles had rails dimensioned for the L12A1 SUSAT optic as used on the British SA80 series of rifles. But because this limited optics options, Spain soon changed the rail dimensions to the NATO standard of the time and a new mount was designed for it while retaining the SUSAT scope. I have no idea which rail the rifle pictured has. The scopes that MCM has acquired are of the L12A1 variety.

Let's look at the MCM rail from a different angle so we can discuss what we are looking at:

It's been milled in such a way that it's got slots cut from side to side and front to back in various places. I'll be the first to admit.....I have absolutely no idea what some of this stuff is for. For all I know, MCM might not either but then......they might. I didn't ask. What I DO know is that this rail allows for mounting the SUSAT various places along it to accommodate the shooter.

On the bottom of the mount, there is a spring loaded locating pin sticking down:

By lifting a lever on the right side of the mount, the pin can be retracted:

To install the scope on the rifle, you lift the locating pin and slide the scope onto the rail from the rear until it's approximately where you want it. Then you release the lever and allow the pin to drop into the interrupted slot running the length of the rail. If the pin won't drop, it's because you have the mount positioned somewhere it is not supposed to be. In that case, you have to slide the scope either forward or back until the pin does drop. Once it drops, push the scope as far forward as it will go and then tighten the two wing nuts on the left side of the mount to secure it in place. A study of the rail should make it clear to you that there are three positions you can use. Actually, there are only two. The front position is for an iron sight. We'll get to that in a minute. The function of the locating pin is to keep the mount from walking forward on the rail under recoil.
Here is the scope mounted in the rear position:

The eye relief is only 25mm so you really have to get up on this thing to get a proper sight picture.

And here is the middle position:

In this position, you are really pulling the rifle into you to get the proper sight picture. Now, you can slide it back some in the middle position before tightening the wing nuts but it might move under recoil. I simply don't know because I haven't had this to the range yet. I will know soon though and I'll report back at that time. If you slide it to the rear as far as possible in the middle position, it would look like this:

I didn't take a picture of the scope mounted in the front position because it would be unusable there. I'm almost 100% certain that the front one is exclusively for mounting a removeable iron sight. The original I pictured earlier came with such an iron sight:

It appears to have its own locating pin that very possibly screws down instead of being under spring pressure. It's also clearly making use of the forward position where it looks like it would preserve the sight radius a standard rifle would have.

That's it for tonight but I'll be back real soon like with more. Hopefully you folks are learning new stuff AND having fun at the same time. That's the idea anyway!

Last edited by Combloc; February 17, 2020 at 03:03.