The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old October 05, 2019, 12:42   #1
Chester Nimitz
Registered

FALaholic #: 28033
L1A1 Magazine Release Screw ROLL PIN

The small hole that runs clear through the Magazine Release Screw head is intended for a roll pin.

I know because my NZ Contract 1964 SLR has one.

Question is whether or not Lithgow did away with the roll pin, and when? Did other commonwealth nations also discard the small pin?

The small hole that runs through the inch pattern Magazine Release Screw head was never discontinued.

Thanks for your insights.

Last edited by Chester Nimitz; October 05, 2019 at 12:54.
Chester Nimitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 12:37   #2
lysanderxiii
Registered

FALaholic #: 70039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Nimitz View Post
The small hole that runs clear through the Magazine Release Screw head is intended for a roll pin.

I know because my NZ Contract 1964 SLR has one.

Question is whether or not Lithgow did away with the roll pin, and when? Did other commonwealth nations also discard the small pin?

The small hole that runs through the inch pattern Magazine Release Screw head was never discontinued.

Thanks for your insights.
Wouldn't that interfere with the operation of the magazine release? That extra arm on the left side bears in the screw head.

lysanderxiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 13:39   #3
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
This is the first I've heard of the roll pin in the head of the Inch screw. I've held many an original rifle over the years and have yet to see a roll pin original installed in that location. Hmmm

Leland
FUUN063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 13:52   #4
Chester Nimitz
Registered

Roll Pin on 1964 Lithgow NZ Contract

Correct the arm of the commonwealth mag catch will prevent the full rotation of the screw with roll pin installed. Otherwise, to install the pin clear through the screw head, the hole passing through the screw head needs to be about 45 degrees when viewed from side.
Does not interfere with function of mag catch.

Also note the above photo depicts the Magazine Release Screw next to the Canadian C1 Magazine Release clearly shows the hole for the roll pin.

The metric equivalent screw heads are flush to the receiver surface, and typically staked in place with a punch. The inch screw used a roll pin because the head of the screw worked in tandem with the inch pattern mag release, and therefore not flush like its metric counterpart, and likewise could not be peened in place.

I can take a photo and email it to anyone who cares to post on my behalf,. Pm your email address and I will take a photo tomorrow.

Last edited by Chester Nimitz; October 16, 2019 at 14:13.
Old October 16, 2019, 16:18   #5
y18376
Registered

FALaholic #: 76824
There is/was no roll pin detailed in RPS No 14 Riffe 7.62mm L1A1 or any modification listed EMEI's .

Quote:
Correct the arm of the commonwealth mag catch will prevent the full rotation of the screw with roll pin installed. Otherwise, to install the pin clear through the screw head, the hole passing through the screw head needs to be about 45 degrees when viewed from side.
Does not interfere with function of mag catch.

Also note the above photo depicts the Magazine Release Screw next to the Canadian C1 Magazine Release clearly shows the hole for the roll pin.

The metric equivalent screw heads are flush to the receiver surface, and typically staked in place with a punch. The inch screw used a roll pin because the head of the screw worked in tandem with the inch pattern mag release, and therefore not flush like its metric counterpart, and likewise could not be peened in place.

I can take a photo and email it to anyone who cares to post on my behalf,. Pm your email address and I will take a photo tomorrow.
y18376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 17:18   #6
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Spring pin wasn't even invented until 1948. That something was there to prevent the screw from backing out, I don't doubt (FAL was staked, but also flush with receiver). If a pin, it was likely a solid pin and just enough protrusion to contact the mag catch and prevent rotation. If it protruded from both sides, then yes, it would interfere with mag catch.
Old October 16, 2019, 20:27   #7
Chester Nimitz
Registered

Lithgow NZ Contract Rifle

To put this Roll Pin Issue in proper perspective, it is part of a relatively NOS matching 1964 parts kit built on a Buena Park Entreprise Receiver. The upper is forged preban pre ABNI and I presume Entreprise built this during the heyday of their L1A1 production.

The Roll Pin is not solid and is in the white. The upper portion of the pin protrudes from the 2 o'clock side of the screw, and the lower portion of the pin protrudes at the 7 o'clock position. Therefore, one can not remove the screw without being stopped by the magazine release. Nor is the Magazine release travel limited whatsoever.

A picture is worth a thousand words if anyone cares to post one of mine on my behalf, as I am not set up for posting images here.

I concur that no reference can be had thus far, I have not spotted the part in any of the standard isometric drawings. But my rifle indeed has the pin.

Last edited by Chester Nimitz; October 16, 2019 at 20:34.
Old October 17, 2019, 05:57   #8
lysanderxiii
Registered

No pin is shown in the 1959 L1A1 manual...

Old October 17, 2019, 05:59   #9
lysanderxiii
Registered

Quote:
The Roll Pin is not solid and is in the white.
If it is in the white, I am going to go out on a limb and state that it is definitely NOT original to the rifle in its military configuration.
Old October 17, 2019, 08:26   #10
Chester Nimitz
Registered

Nice Cut Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
No pin is shown in the 1959 L1A1 manual...

Missing more metal than the pin.

I took a photo if anyone wants a copy via email.