The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old September 11, 2019, 09:03   #1
Orion the Hunter
Registered

FALaholic #: 62009
What WECSOG Black Paint works the Best?

I have on the back burner a FN Predominant Kit that is nearly all parted up. The problem is this, most of the important main parts are Black over Park (example: NOS FN Black Lower, FN Black over Park Refinished Barrel, Black over Park Gas Tube etc) however, some of the misc parts are Original Finished or Parkerized (example: BHO, Top Cover, Mag Catch etc).

Should I gather all the remaining parts and send them in to have some other professional coating (and pay dearly for that) or should I simply do it myself?

Maybe use Semi-Gloss Black Furnace Paint? Or Possibly purchase one of those “Do-It-Yourself Coatings” (duracoat etc)?

Thoughts?

Orion the Hunter

Last edited by Orion the Hunter; September 11, 2019 at 09:24.
Orion the Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 10:19   #2
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
The question is what is your time worth cleaning up the parts of rust if any,preparing the parts for coating etc... Then figure out how much it costs for someone to do it.
Old September 11, 2019, 10:31   #3
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
FN parts such as the flash hiders, rear sights, bolt & carriers and lower internal parts are not painted black and remain gray phosphate.
Old September 11, 2019, 12:22   #4
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
Just get a can of that cheap Walmart Appliance Epoxy paint and bake it at 275. Plenty of pictures on the web.
gentlemanjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 12:34   #5
Orion the Hunter
Registered

FALaholic #: 62009
Hmmm...decisions decisions..

Actually, the FN-FH & Rear Site are already black as well and I plan on leaving the Bolt & Carrier their original color...so I am good to go as far as that goes..

This leaves the small oddballs parts (BHO, Mag Catch, Axis Pins, Trigger, Buttplate etc) that will stand out as being parkerized and look different...

I hadn’t heard of baking off Krylon (bet the wives just love that process hehe)

DakTo: Stupid Question (warning): I always assumed that the original gray type finish on FN etc was some type of parkerizing. Sounds like you mention “phosphate”...? I will have to do some research on that process.....I have heard the term off course (phosphate) but never really knew how it was applied....??
Orion the Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 12:47   #6
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Zinc phos is greyer. Manganese phos is blacker

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 12:52   #7
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Duplicolor semi-gloss black engine block enamel spray paint from the auto part store seems to work pretty well if you're doing this on the cheap. Used it on a WASR and got nice results. didn't burn off at the range either
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 16:19   #8
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
I'm not sure the paint makes as much difference as a) proper cleaning and prepping and b) baking/curing. In the past I've used both high temp enamel and just regular old duplicolor, Krylon and the like, 275 - 300 degrees for at least 1/2 hour and they all seem to hold up fine in normal use and with normal solvents. Don't bake it and the bets are off. AMHIK

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 17:34   #9
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
i just a small propane torch to get it warm

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

"Some minds are like concrete, thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.”

Has freedom been replaced with Free-Dumb.

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 17:42   #10
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
I'm not sure the paint makes as much difference as a) proper cleaning and prepping and b) baking/curing. In the past I've used both high temp enamel and just regular old duplicolor, Krylon and the like, 275 - 300 degrees for at least 1/2 hour and they all seem to hold up fine in normal use and with normal solvents. Don't bake it and the bets are off. AMHIK
Duplicolor Dodge hi temp ceramic is very close to FN black and it's been verified a thousand times here. When you bake it and assemble it just put it up for a couple of weeks even after it's dried for the time they say on the can. If you just have to shoot right away cover the ejection port area.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 18:08   #11
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 31134
It's all about the prep then the proper products.

1) Fully degrease and/or beadblast
2) Parkerize or use GunKote's cold phosphate ( https://shop.kgcoatings.com/kg/produ...osion-control/ ) this shit eats latex gloves, so use chem resistant gloves. Follow all product instructions.
3) METRIC: Dupli-Color Low-Gloss Black DE1634
INCH: Dupli-Color Semi-Gloss Black DE1635
https://www.duplicolor.com/product/e...-with-ceramic/
FOR WEAR PARTS & MAGAZINES: GunKote SOCOM Black
https://shop.kgcoatings.com/kg/product/2401soc/

All the above, coat than let air dry 1 hour. Then bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. Your main squeeze will kill you for using the oven for this. However, the BBQ on low can easily achieve 325 degrees.

YMMV

“The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous.” Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates
4markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 18:09   #12
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
I recently painted a DSA receiver with Rustoleum Engine Enamel, glass black. I just timed and headspaced this last night after work before taking the kid's reigns from the wifey. I still need to dissemble the kit, clean and lube, then reassemble (and swap out the frame lock plunger for a little tighter fit... it locks tighter now, but I always like the bottom of the lever at least parallel with the receiver) before wrapping this up.

Goal was to match finish of a nice Imbel kit (fired little, handled rough... recoil plate doesn't have a single dimple in it!). I artificially roughed the finish up before.

There was no scientific method to baked the paint. I painted the receiver a week ago. I occasionally tossed in the garage toaster oven at temps between 250 and 450 degrees.... no rhyme of reason, between two and six hours per shot. I tossed the receiver in a tub full of old greasy/dirty sockets on a few separate occasions (tossed, as in tossing it like a garden salad!). I lightly rubbed a knurled handle from a socket wrench over the high edges.

The durability of the paint seems to be on par with factory Imbel paint. I think it looks the part!

Last edited by lockjaw; September 11, 2019 at 18:18.
lockjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 18:14   #13
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
https://www.falfiles.com/forums/show...24&postcount=6
Old September 11, 2019, 18:52   #14
munchoman
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21848
I like it, that's a very nice restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
I recently painted a DSA receiver with Rustoleum Engine Enamel, glass black. I just timed and headspaced this last night after work before taking the kid's reigns from the wifey. I still need to dissemble the kit, clean and lube, then reassemble (and swap out the frame lock plunger for a little tighter fit... it locks tighter now, but I always like the bottom of the lever at least parallel with the receiver) before wrapping this up.

Goal was to match finish of a nice Imbel kit (fired little, handled rough... recoil plate doesn't have a single dimple in it!). I artificially roughed the finish up before.

There was no scientific method to baked the paint. I painted the receiver a week ago. I occasionally tossed in the garage toaster oven at temps between 250 and 450 degrees.... no rhyme of reason, between two and six hours per shot. I tossed the receiver in a tub full of old greasy/dirty sockets on a few separate occasions (tossed, as in tossing it like a garden salad!). I lightly rubbed a knurled handle from a socket wrench over the high edges.

The durability of the paint seems to be on par with factory Imbel paint. I think it looks the part!

munchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 20:39   #15
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Duplicolor semi-gloss black engine block enamel spray paint from the auto part store
This is the answer that you seek. I have used it on rifle mags. It makes a fine satin finish. I baked my mags @ 300 degrees for an hour and the finish has been durable. Plus, touch up is easy.
Old September 11, 2019, 21:06   #16
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion the Hunter View Post
Actually, the FN-FH & Rear Site are already black as well and I plan on leaving the Bolt & Carrier their original color...so I am good to go as far as that goes..

This leaves the small oddballs parts (BHO, Mag Catch, Axis Pins, Trigger, Buttplate etc) that will stand out as being parkerized and look different...

I hadn’t heard of baking off Krylon (bet the wives just love that process hehe)

DakTo: Stupid Question (warning): I always assumed that the original gray type finish on FN etc was some type of parkerizing. Sounds like you mention “phosphate”...? I will have to do some research on that process.....I have heard the term off course (phosphate) but never really knew how it was applied....??
I like to use my G series FN as a model as it doesn't represent a well worn and sometimes grungy parts kit where the original phosphating appears black.
The rear sights on the G series is chemical applied gray phosphate.
"Parkerizing, bonderizing, phosphating, or phosphatizing is a method of protecting a steel surface from corrosion and increasing its resistance to wear through the application of a chemical phosphate conversion coating."

Personally, I favor Duracoat Black Oxide paint (spray) as you have the option to cure by either oven heating or by air drying after the application.
Old September 11, 2019, 21:20   #17
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
VHT caliper paint. Black.
Clean, apply, bake.
I preheat the metal before spraying.
Old September 12, 2019, 10:44   #18
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
I used auto parts store, hi-temp engine spray paint on a solid brass fireplace surround. Had to give the brass a light roughing with sand paper first to insure the paint wouldn't run.

Used about 3 or 4 very lightly applied coats.

My fireplace gets really hot and in almost 20 years, the paint has not let me down.

I used a flat paint, not gloss.
I'm still surprise it's lasted so long.
Graham.
Grahamneall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019, 11:01   #19
Flypaper
Craftsman
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 71040
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchoman View Post
I like it, that's a very nice restoration
I used this paint on a couple of rifles, I really like the color of it but I did have an issue with it.
I wrapped black tape around some metal studs to hang the rifles on the wall, the black tape ate the paint.

Most of my other rifles I used Dura coat or Epoxy, neither one of those had any
Old September 12, 2019, 11:41   #20
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Rustoleum 7777 was a perfect match to FN paint. Baked it at 180* for two hours and it holds up very well.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is online now   Reply With Quote