The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old September 22, 2019, 10:13   #1
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
FOIA Letter from Inquiry about total number of Bumpbstocks surrundered to the ATF

Saw this on a regional message board. One of the members submitted a FOIA request to the ATF for the number of bumpstocks surrendered back in the spring and ooks like a whopping 582 bumpstocks were surrundered to the ATF...

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xe...umbers.377152/

Old September 22, 2019, 12:45   #2
AGG
Registered

FALaholic #: 27127
No civil unrest for Bumpstocks--- firearms may be a different story!!!
Why the panic--- not enough votes in the House or Senate anyway.

Tony
AGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2019, 15:00   #3
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
^

Not yet, Tony.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2019, 15:43   #4
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
^

Not yet, Tony.
Yep,,,all of this could get very, very real,,really fast,,with a few more incidents and a few more votes held in Congress.

No registration and no forced confiscation.

The ball is in their court............

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2019, 18:32   #5
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubacus View Post
Saw this on a regional message board. One of the members submitted a FOIA request to the ATF for the number of bumpstocks surrendered back in the spring and ooks like a whopping 582 bumpstocks were surrundered to the ATF...

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xe...umbers.377152/

The bureau releases reports on gun seizures and turn ins regularly
The vast bulk of the stocks in that data have came from just a handful of States, most markedly Texas. I commented upon this months ago.

Likely reason were stock assemblies that were in retail venues with management having no interest in playing footsies with the Federals
easier to write it off on the taxes as a business loss

Joe Citizen ?
Well some just destroyed their stocks
I mean really, who goes into an ATFE office to surrender one ?

That said, most folks didn't...few people ever follow the new regulations
back in the 30s there were tens of thousands of Maxim silencers
That's Right, TENS OF THOUSANDS had been sold by 1935
thing is they are impossibly Rare in the NFA registry as about no one registered them in either Amnesty

One of my gigs years ago was hitting up old family Hardware stores, see what they had socketed away in the basements in obsolete ammo, displays, crates. Around 92' I ran into one old store that had a Maxim display with three as new .22 cans. Those ended up with an SOT who "rebuilt" them.
yeah great grandad simply put the whole works in the basement when the law changed.

Same deal with H&R Handyguns, Stevens Autoshots and Marbles Gamegetters.
few were registered
How about Stocked pistols ?
same deal, few folks registered the bringback WWI broomie or the Artillery PO8 Uncle came back with
About nobody registered single shot Stevens and other Bicycle Rifles
As Treasury removed these things from the NFA all of a sudden they came out of the Woodwork

Today you can go on Gunbroker and regularly find MGs that have been saw cut in half that were really never imported as kits
this is all stuff coming out of the woodwork and getting the hacksaw & there's a ton of it still in circulation. Past several years I have seen a good half dozen Colt 1921 Thompson single cut receivers come up online
No, not 1928s, 1921s which really were mostly sold domestically
Couple Colt BARs too
Closet guns

Damn shame but what's a Man to do ?
Anyways despite what many mouth about Americans following the law the real truth is most of us don't
This is something idjits like Boi Beta and even a fair share of members here don't really get

Schumer & Feinstein DO Understand this
Diane wanted to take up Bumpstocks in Congress
Had that happened existing stocks likely would have been grandfathered, at worst there would have been an Amnesty to register them
instead Trump and Sessions created hundreds of thousands of newly minted felons under their mandate

btw, ATFE just admitted they lack authority to do this:

https://www.weapon-blog.com/2019/09/...n-bump-stocks/
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2019, 19:29   #6
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
What's wrong with AGG and the multi-colored nonsense. It's something a 13 year old girl would do
Old September 23, 2019, 13:08   #7
AGG
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
^

Not yet, Tony.
Bigger gains to come!!!

Tony
Old September 23, 2019, 13:10   #8
AGG
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&L View Post
What's wrong with AGG and the multi-colored nonsense. It's something a 13 year old girl would do
I was Antoinette in a previous life!!!

Tony
Old September 23, 2019, 13:25   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Wonder what the panic buyers who paid $500 and up for bump stocks in the two weeks following Las Vegas shooting did with their investments? I timed mine just right as Friday gunbroker locked all bumpstock auctions took all of mine (new in box and one removed from rifle and returned to box) and sat in plain view of all customers who came to gunsmith area for poodle shooter repairs and upgrades. Owners wife did not want them sold through store so as people asked walked them outside with one. All were seeing locked bids high as $900 on gunbroker and in parking lot mine were $500 each. Sold all but two then got $100 each for them after price mormalized. Purchased seven binary triggers with the bump stock cash which was a heck of an upgrade.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2019, 18:30   #10
Arby
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&L View Post
What's wrong with AGG and the multi-colored nonsense.
I used to wonder the same thing. But the more he posted, the more he contributed to the knowledge base on this forum. He knows the subject of FALs better than I ever will. I make it a point to read all of his posts.
Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2019, 11:24   #11
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/atf-a...172200417.html

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2019, 08:12   #12
JColdIron
Registered

FALaholic #: 24587
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
Interesting stuff and I hope they prevail.

Quote:
“ The agency lacks legal authority to issue a so-called legislative rule, but a mere interpretive rule is not legally allowed to bind any third parties outside the government. By ordering half a million bump stock owners to surrender their devices—or face prosecution—ATF has acted in a completely unconstitutional fashion. It is high time for the federal courts to put a stop to this regulatory nonsense.”
—Mark Chenoweth, Executive Director and General Counsel
They will use the Bump Ban as precedence for further bans if they are not checked by the Courts. Beto and Booker are already emboldened by how "easy" it was.
JColdIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2019, 15:56   #13
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
the coil is just taking some time to unwind...
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2019, 06:44   #14
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
So does that mean that a class action against ATF and perhaps their boss is in the works or it will be another of they laughing at each other saying "oops, my bad" and business as usual?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote