Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Class III Files

Notices

Old September 26, 2019, 00:11   #1
aardq
Registered

FALaholic #: 18645
Plainfield M2 durability?

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking about a Plainfield M2 at $7K, but wonder just how strong and how durable are the Plainfields. I suspect that they may not be the same quality as the GI guns, but know nothing about them. Also wonder about the price.

thanks,
Dan
aardq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2019, 06:51   #2
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
I would imagin durability and quality is not much different then it is with their semis.
The early ones were very good and all completely usgi parts outside of the receiver.
As usgi parts started drying up, they made or bought other commercial parts to continue production.
They also had a bunch of versions, including some in 22 carbine and 9mm.
Ive owned a few, including a 22 carbine and still have one standard plainfield model that as far as Im concerned, is every bit as good as any usgi produced carbine.
Afaik, they never had any major issues or receiver problems that would make me run from buying or owning any of their carbines,,unlike some of the other carbine copys out there.
They were made in NJ and very popular in the NE before they started importing carbines again like blue sky, etc.
Cheers, yv
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2019, 10:26   #3
D P Six
Registered

FALaholic #: 15219
Is the Plainfield register or the M2 parts?
D P Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 06, 2019, 22:37   #4
aardq
Registered

FALaholic #: 18645
I believe that the rifle is registered. Could the bbl and receiver be switched with a GI gun, since the M-2 parts are in the trigger guard assembly?
Thanks

Or did I just answer my question? If the rifle is registered, then the rifle and trigger ass. would have to remain together since he rifle has a serial.
aardq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 07, 2019, 14:29   #5
Icer
Registered

FALaholic #: 82501
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardq View Post
I believe that the rifle is registered. Could the bbl and receiver be switched with a GI gun, since the M-2 parts are in the trigger guard assembly?
Thanks

Or did I just answer my question? If the rifle is registered, then the rifle and trigger ass. would have to remain together since he rifle has a serial.
The paperwork (Form 3/4) will tell you how it was registered.
If it is a registered receiver transferable then every part other than the receiver can be swapped out legally. Receivers however can be permanently damaged by bad loads or worn out thru extremely high round counts.
If it is a registered trigger group than the serialized part in the trigger group can be moved between host guns allowing you to convert them to full auto.
The most desirable trigger group conversion has the trigger guard serialized as it is quite bullet proof and unlikely to be damaged or wear out.
The other parts allowing it to shoot full auto need to be swapped into the new host as well but they can be replaced when they become worn because they are not serialized.
Wearing out an M-2 is quite unlikely since they are reasonably strong designs, shooting a fairly low pressure cartridge, in a design that isn't terribly controllable in full auto. They just don't get shot as much as other full auto's out there.
People buy them because they are a fantastic piece of history not because they shoot like a dream...but they're still fun as hell to play with at the range.
Icer is offline   Reply With Quote