The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old December 18, 2004, 14:59   #1
M1950
Registered

FALaholic #: 6777
Centerfire Systems Chilean 1912/61

These .308 barreled actions are in good shape, with only whay I would call minor pitting on the metal. At 49.97 shipped, it's a good deal if your looking for a Mauser in .308 Mine had a full stock, upper hand guard, no cracks, complete sight, all the metal and a cleaning rod. The only parts missing are the trigger guard, floor plate, follower, spring and bolt. It takes a 98k or Turk 1938. What's a good source for mauser parts?

I think they have VZ24s in the same shape for 44.97, shipping not included. Something for a Rhineland mod?

www.johnmartinbooks.com
M1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2004, 02:56   #2
Bentley8
Registered

FALaholic #: 12839
For Mauser parts, try http://www.e-gunparts.com and http://www.ssporters.com .

Glad to hear you have a good experience. I bought two barreled receivers. Both had rusting all over the metal, including one bore that was rusted the full length. I don't think it's from corrosive ammo, I think it's from being stored in humid environment for years without any oil in the barrel. One came as just a barreled receiver, and trigger parts. No sights, no bolt, no stock, no trigger guard assembly, and no bolt stop. And the trigger was bent, had to use a BFH to get it straight. Went through the above websites to get the stuff I needed to get what I needed.

Oh, and the other one I got was complete except it didn't have a cleaning rod or bolt.

Both of them had bore imperfections from the Century stamping of "M12 308" towards the muzzle being too deep, causing a small bump inside the barrel. On one it was so severe it was causing 10 inch groups. I took some crocus cloth and a rod and lightly rubbed the bump down. Now it's shooting 2-inch groups (sweet!). The other one didn't have that much of a bump and shoots 3-inch groups. Great guns!

I've been looking for a cleaning rod for them but have had no real luck. I've come across some that might be correct, but don't have anything for comparison. Could you measure your cleaning rod and let me know it's length? Can you provide pics of the slotted tip, too?

Overall, I think they're a great deal. I needed projects to keep me busy and these two came through. One I'm restoring to it's complete glory, the other one I put in a cut-down VZ24 stock, added a Mojosight to it, and a trigger job, and turned it into a great little brush gun.
Old December 19, 2004, 13:11   #3
M1950
Registered

I'll get some measurements for you and send them sometime this week. Though I will say the cleaning rod isn't slotted. Mine had the threads broken off buth there was enough of the reduced radius to still fit in the mount.
I had to really look for my import marks, they were very faint, and the bore is bright and shiney. I had rust and pittong mainly on the un blued reciever section, but a dremel with a brass brush cleaned it up. The pitting doesn't extend deeper than the engraving, so I may be able to polish it out.

Thanks for the mauser parts info.

www.johnmartinbooks.com
Old December 20, 2004, 01:13   #4
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
The 1912/61's are beautiful actions, but a stripped barrelled receiver is a good deal at $50?!? Century offered these same items off their U-fix-ums a couple of years ago and I ordered two. Stocks were broken off at the grip on both rifles, but otherwise the guns were fine; all metal was excellent and the actions were complete; bores were perfect. I was thrilled with them at $25 each so I ordered ten more. After a couple of months they delived ten of what you describe above,.......stripped barrelled receivers,.....no mag parts, no bolts, no bolt stop. Man was I pissed! Century eventually refunded all but $100 just to prevent me from sending them back, but I'm still not happy about it. I'm sure it took them 2 months to ship them while they stripped them of all usable parts. I felt hosed at $10 each, but $50? I guess things have really changed over the last couple of years, or maybe it was further back than I remember. Still, they are nice receivers.

The 1912/61 has a modified magazine with shorter length spring and follower for the .308 with a block in the front of the well. Doubt those parts will be easy to find(although you could make your own block and use a spring and follower from most any pre-98 model).

RUE?
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2004, 02:07   #5
Bentley8
Registered

Yeah, I couldn't find a modified trigger guard/follower combo anywhere, so I got a standard length one. As it turns out, it feeds FMJ fine, but softpoints get hung up sometimes. As I mostly shoot FMJ, that's fine with me.

I do think that $50 is a good deal if the barrel is in good shape. Buying a bare receiver and having a barrel put on is going to cost you much more than $50. If the barrel is trashed, then no, I don't think it's a good deal. If you can find a complete 1912/61 for anything less than $120 you're doing real good.
Old December 20, 2004, 02:54   #6
meisterdg
Registered

FALaholic #: 6509
When you ordered one was it being advertised as a barrelled receiver? There is no mention of getting a stock in their ad now, although if it is a good receiver and barrel I am tempted to get one.

Do all Mauser '98 parts fit this rifle, parts are cheap now. I would like to build one up, for the price I don't think you can beat it.
meisterdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2004, 03:11   #7
Bentley8
Registered

All 98 parts should fit. Since .308 is shorter than 8mm, the trigger guard has a spacer in it and the follower has been shortened in the 1912/61. If you don't have a trigger guard group you can substitute with a standard 98 8mm setup and it should feed FMJ ammo fine. Softpoints hang up sometimes.

Centerfire systems will only guarantee a barrel and a receiver. Anything you get beyond that is a bonus. I received one that was basically a barrel and receiver. Another one was almost complete, except for the bolt and cleaning rod.
Old December 20, 2004, 13:52   #8
M1950
Registered

My stock, except for some staining, which cleaned right up, was perfect. My bore was bright and sharp. I pulled the bolt and trigger from a turk 38 amd a K98 and both fit and functioned fine. When I bought this they didn't list the stock, so i felt it was a bonus when I got it.
My intention was to rebarrel a mauser action to .308 and build a custom rifle. So far, I don't have to rebarrel an action, and I have a good stock to modify.
Sorry you felt it was a bad deal. I didn't, and I guess I'm the one who has to be happy with it.

www.johnmartinbooks.com
Old December 22, 2004, 20:28   #9
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
No offense intended. My purchase was a few years ago and I have a hard time accepting the fact that times change. I would probably have been happy enough with the barrelled receivers I got had it not been for the two complete barrelled actions Century sent on the first small order. Seemed to be SOP for Century at that time, but that one order really soured me on them for good.

RUE?
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2004, 11:10   #10
M1950
Registered

My experience with Century has always been that the earlier you order, the better the product. Case in point, when they had the 98Ks a while ago for 89 bucks, I ordered one, and it came in almost pristine condition, and some of the parts had waffenamts. I told my buddy about it, and when his came in it was pitted under the wood and the stock was all dinged. A third guy wanted one, and when his came in a week later (notice the pattern?) it was even worse, but still a good deal for a 98K at 89 bucks.
I don'r usually pay for the hand select. Best out of five or ten on the top of the pile still seems like a crap shoot. I haven't been disappointed yet.

www.johnmartinbooks.com
Old December 29, 2004, 11:09   #11
JoeLad
Registered

FALaholic #: 3353
Do these have the turned down bolt handle? Mine does, but I bought it as a complete rifle.
According to a guy who's website I found, they originally had straight bolts. Century added turned-down bolts when they brought them here.

See the site here.

JoeLad

edited to add: Oops, my mistake. No bolts included with these.

Last edited by JoeLad; December 29, 2004 at 12:16.
JoeLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2005, 07:18   #12
Chipmunk
Registered

FALaholic #: 213
I talked to CF last night, they
have about 10 left ,all with
boocoo rust ,inside & out.
39.ººas is.......bought one
anyway.
Chipmunk

Well....barreled rcvr arrived, and CF sure didn't
exagerate much. Barrel exterior extremely rusted ,
bore looks great- shiny&sharp(after boresnake)
First time I've ever seen hair in a rcvr & bore.Friend
has it now to glassbead,then we'll see if it's doable.
Question : Will this drop in a CZ24 stock set? TIA

Last edited by Chipmunk; January 21, 2005 at 20:31.
Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote