The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old October 01, 2019, 19:16   #1
adam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 11334
The Argentine BM59E

So Argentina made BM59E rifles, I understand. Did they make their own receivers as well? Its the sort of thing that has me wondering just how many people DID make their own receivers. Lithgow made some I think. Didn't china, or was that just the Norinco M14 receivers? Obviously the Italians. And Argentina?
Old October 02, 2019, 07:09   #2
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Did they make or just ordered them in that format? You know, kinda like the different FN-49 and FAL variations. And, yes, I know they modified their FN49s.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2019, 07:58   #3
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Ezell’s Small Arms of the World does not mention use of the BM59, nor is it in the list of DGFM production.

It wouldn’t make sense since Argentina adopted the FAL in 1955. That said I know little about BM59 sales. So you have my semi-educated opinion.

Lithgow made Garand receivers for the commercial market only.
Old October 02, 2019, 09:11   #4
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Might these "Argentine" BM59s be factory refurbished commercial ones for Springfield Armory of Geneseo, IL? It has been years so I don'T IIRC, but they may have sold BM59s in their line-up?? And, they did have a lot of connection with the DGFM.

Jarhead
Old October 02, 2019, 12:30   #5
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam762 View Post
So Argentina made BM59E rifles, I understand. Did they make their own receivers as well? Its the sort of thing that has me wondering just how many people DID make their own receivers. Lithgow made some I think. Didn't china, or was that just the Norinco M14 receivers? Obviously the Italians. And Argentina?
Argentina experimentally made some M1 receivers, but they never went into production.
The Argy BM59Es were remanufactured by Beretta, in Italy, from Garands provided with some former US Navy ships under the Military Assistance Program (MAP) - Argentina smartly decided to standardize on 7.62 NATO and had unknown thousands of rifles rebuilt including their FN-49s.

Eli
AliYahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2019, 14:46   #6
embatp
What? Me AR?
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39856
Off topic but still M1 related.....didnít Argentina or Brazil mod their M1 garands to take FAL mags? Any pics of these?
Old October 03, 2019, 07:10   #7
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
Quote:
Originally Posted by embatp View Post
Off topic but still M1 related.....didnít Argentina or Brazil mod their M1 garands to take FAL mags? Any pics of these?
Brazil supposedly, but I don't think I've ever seen a photo. The only non-experimental project to convert Garands to take box magazines that I'm aware of, aside from the BM59, was a Philippines project to convert them to M14 magazines and shorter barrels - and not too long ago.

Eli
AliYahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2019, 14:20   #8
K.O.A.M.
Registered

FALaholic #: 8025
There are photographs that exist of Argentine troops in the Falklands with BM59E's. Supposedly, that is the origin of the SARCO kits. There are also a couple of M1 Garands in an Argentine museum that were domestically produced for the 7.65 cartridge. They also bought some FN49's.
Old October 03, 2019, 15:43   #9
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliYahu View Post
Brazil supposedly, but I don't think I've ever seen a photo. The only non-experimental project to convert Garands to take box magazines that I'm aware of, aside from the BM59, was a Philippines project to convert them to M14 magazines and shorter barrels - and not too long ago.

Eli
Interesting. I thought Brazil had to return theirs after WWII, but kept the Great Pyramid-size pile of 30-06 ammo, hence the desire to convert their Mausers to that caliber and create an indigenous (G43-derived) semiauto also in that caliber, and then later the FAL.

Last edited by raubvogel; October 03, 2019 at 15:52.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 06, 2019, 20:34   #10
adam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 11334
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliYahu View Post
Argentina experimentally made some M1 receivers, but they never went into production.
The Argy BM59Es were remanufactured by Beretta, in Italy, from Garands provided with some former US Navy ships under the Military Assistance Program (MAP) - Argentina smartly decided to standardize on 7.62 NATO and had unknown thousands of rifles rebuilt including their FN-49s.

Eli
This is good news! I have an excellent August of 42 Springfield receiver earmarked for the project. Sounds like that is the right way to go. Thank you!
Old October 26, 2019, 16:11   #11
Tim Dreas
Registered

FALaholic #: 17255
They were made for the Argentine Navy when there was a power struggle between the Army and the Navy.

The Army controlled the country and did not allow the Navy to get FAL's.

The Navy started having FN49's and M1 Garands converted to 7.62.