The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old October 07, 2019, 08:13   #1
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Sarma vs Arktis smocks?

I am wanting to upgrade my smock and have narrowed it down to one of these two. They are both very similar and I think the main differences are that the Arktis has a windproof inner layer over parts of it and its hood also has an integral face veil. The windproof layer appeals to me but I would like to hear from any one who has owned either or both of these as to what your thoughts are. Not that it matters much but I will be getting OD Green. I know there are other less expensive brands that make this same style of smock but I want to stick to a quality brand so I am not considering the lesser priced options. There is one other that as I think of it I guess I am still considering and that is the German Leo Kohler. It seems to be about identical to the sarma. Thanks if you have any experience you can share with these products.

Arktis B211 Smock
Sarma TST Recon Smock
Leo Kohler Smock

Last edited by Incognito; October 07, 2019 at 08:28.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 07, 2019, 12:44   #2
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
If you are not wedded to the idea of OD green, Brit MTP smocks can be had on fleabay for 40 pounds and up. I bought one and it's absolutely tops. Added a couple coats of DWR and it does fine as a rain jacket. I've worn it extensively in the bush here in Arizona, as well as Nevada and Utah. It cuts the wind superbly. If you were at all handy, they can be dyed easily.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 07, 2019, 14:57   #3
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
If you are not wedded to the idea of OD green, Brit MTP smocks can be had on fleabay for 40 pounds and up. I bought one and it's absolutely tops. Added a couple coats of DWR and it does fine as a rain jacket. I've worn it extensively in the bush here in Arizona, as well as Nevada and Utah. It cuts the wind superbly. If you were at all handy, they can be dyed easily.
Yes, I know. But I am wedded to the OD Green. That British Smock you speak of was the original of this style made by Artkis. Thanks though.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2019, 22:16   #4
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
Thats a lot of money for something that isnt waterproof.
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote