The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old July 16, 2019, 21:47   #1
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Shortages,yet?

I'm seeing stuff on some youtube channels referencing shortages in the supply chain,of things like peas,and some other canned veggies in the food supply.
Stooped at the dollar store the other day to grab cans of various fruit to throw in the truck,and it seemed like they didn't have squat for variety. You guys noticing anything?
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2019, 21:52   #2
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Seems normal in Northern Idaho but up here we lean more on the farmers market business for veggies.
Old July 16, 2019, 22:12   #3
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
I haven't noticed anything. Where are the shortages supposedly from? The wet spring weather?

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2019, 23:23   #4
Illurian00
Registered

FALaholic #: 28599
I started noticing less stuff in general in grocery stores about a year ago. Less shelving, more floor space. Specific items missing and not being restocked. Years ago I noticed sardines in sardine oil just went away. Products come and go, but for some time now I've had a perception of a gradual draw down.
Think I'll buy some canned soup & fish tomorrow.

Last edited by Illurian00; July 17, 2019 at 10:21.
Illurian00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2019, 23:24   #5
goon
Registered

FALaholic #: 9673
I’ve heard of shortages on “prepper” type foods due to emergency response and general post-event panic in California (earthquakes), the Midwest (floods), etc. Haven’t seen any noticeable shortages outside of that though.
goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2019, 23:50   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I will do my monthly shopping this Friday at Winco, that's the earliest I can check out the shelves.
Bawana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019, 00:45   #7
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
A little here and there.

This fall should be interesting,,,all the summer crops,,,being under water with all the heavy rains.

LDS store seems to still have everything in stock.

They are my barometer for all this.

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.or...t&beginIndex=0

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019, 07:12   #8
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Retailers, especially groceries, use of "just in time" inventory practices are likely to blame for some items being unavailable. Personally, I haven't noticed any shortages other than that. Fresh vegetables, including lots of organics, frozen and canned vegetables are still in abundance here.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019, 10:29   #9
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Nothing specific but it always surprises me when WalMart does not have certain things on the shelf. Some different canned stuff is missing at different times, Applesauce, certain peanut butters. It blows my mind that a firm that was built on logistics and should be the absolute master of the universe of it can not keep stuff on the shelf. But I try not to see anything nefarious when simple stupidity or sorryness might be an easier answer.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019, 11:55   #10
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Some signs showing up at Kroger's (Smith's) and Wally World now.

https://zh-prod-1cc738ca-7d3b-4a72-b...0190716_85.png
Old July 17, 2019, 12:42   #11
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Canned foods last a very long time,,,people have been warned.

Old July 17, 2019, 14:50   #12
RG Coburn
Registered

Up here,in Michigan,the wheat still looks really good,and is damn near ready to start threshing. Sugar beets look okay,I guess. Soy beans are kinda meh..lots of guys just got them in,like a week back or so. Dry beans..same story. Corn is all over the place,growth wise. Some is a couple feet tall,some just ankle high. We get rain this fall,in quantity,we could be screwed.

I watch Adapt 2030 channel,and Iceage farmer channel. Both are geared towards watching changing weather and solar patterns,and how it affects us.
Old July 17, 2019, 16:49   #13
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
I checked at a local WalMart today and it does appear that canned vegies are kind of underrepresented on the shelves compared to 'normal.'

Of course, it's hard to tell whether that's due to real scarcity or just from people starting to hoard due to the news...

And, as yellowhand says, canned goods do last a long time and, if you don't have a bunch stored away, well, you may already be behind the curve...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019, 17:30   #14
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Them canned LDS carrots, beans, rice, are calling my name,,,again.

Stored properly,,,stuff keeps for decades upon decades.

One day,,for some reason,,we're going to have a severe food crisis.

For a pretty low cost,,,food insurance just makes good sense.

For some.

Old July 17, 2019, 18:32   #15
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Them canned LDS carrots, beans, rice, are calling my name,,,again.

Stored properly,,,stuff keeps for decades upon decades.

One day,,for some reason,,we're going to have a severe food crisis.

For a pretty low cost,,,food insurance just makes good sense.

For some.
Living just outside an urban/ suburban area ensures a plentiful supply of protein.
Old July 17, 2019, 18:44   #16
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...egetable-items

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019, 18:51   #17
RG Coburn
Registered

Though canned food does,indeed,last more than a couple years,I don't see Walmart shelving cans that are more than a year old. They have their inventory system so friggin' micro-managed,its scary.But they are dealing with millions of dollars worth of canned stuff every day.
Old July 17, 2019, 22:03   #18
cotter
Registered

FALaholic #: 23754
As for canned goods on the shelf we are kind of at the end of the season. Usually the local places all run their sales on canned goods in October or November, usually 3 or 4 for $1. Right now a lot of things are 'out of season'. Potatoes, onions, apples. Give it a couple months before you panic, the shelves will be overflowing shortly.
cotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019, 23:03   #19
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illurian00 View Post
I started noticing less stuff in general in grocery stores about a year ago. Less shelving, more floor space. Specific items missing and not being restocked. Years ago I noticed sardines in sardine oil just went away. Products come and go, but for some time now I've had a perception of a gradual draw down.
Think I'll buy some canned soup & fish tomorrow.
Just the opposite here, grocery stores and WalMart have narrowed their aisles to fit more stuff.
kfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2019, 14:41   #20
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Winco today had the shelves packed full and many cans of veggies on sale. No shortage here at all.
Bawana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2019, 15:39   #21
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
POTUS got pissed at USDA for posting farm report last year that showed small farmers would get it worse than big corporate farms on his proposed tax bill.

So, he banished the entire USDA Economic Research Service from DC to Kansas City. Get-out-of-town date is September 27. About 250 scientists/economists. Most have quit rather than relocate to the death camp in KC.

Big boss man will be free to just make up numbers and predictions now.

He's also booted-out (to Alabama) the FBI office that ran the Mueller investigation.

All of the DC office for BLM is being shipped to Colorado. Not sure what BLM's transgression is. Maybe nothing. Suspect a public-lands grab of some sort in the works.

Food will be on the shelves until it isn't.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2019, 21:22   #22
RG Coburn
Registered

I gotta wonder how many of those 250 ag prognosticators have ever actually worked on a farm. Reckon maybe he figures they work better a little closer to the corn fields? Maybe appreciate what's on the dinner table a bit more? We,as a nation,just expect food to be there,24/7/365...what ever we desire.
Old July 18, 2019, 22:38   #23
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
POTUS got pissed at USDA for posting farm report last year that showed small farmers would get it worse than big corporate farms on his proposed tax bill.

So, he banished the entire USDA Economic Research Service from DC to Kansas City. Get-out-of-town date is September 27. About 250 scientists/economists. Most have quit rather than relocate to the death camp in KC.

He's also booted-out (to Alabama) the FBI office that ran the Mueller investigation.

All of the DC office for BLM is being shipped to Colorado. Not sure what BLM's transgression is. Maybe nothing. Suspect a public-lands grab of some sort in the works.

Food will be on the shelves until it isn't.
Sounds like he's draining the swamp critters to me.

Old July 21, 2019, 10:50   #24
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
Walmarts in our area were out of low priced orange juice for several days. I like the GV orange juice made not from concentrate and with pulp.

None to be had.......
moonbat60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2019, 19:17   #25
RG Coburn
Registered

Was in Whalemart the other night. Looking for canned fruit,peaches mainly. Seemed like a lot of space not being used on the shelves. They had Whalemart brand,Dole,and Delmonte. Still lots of junk food.
Old July 25, 2019, 19:26   #26
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Up here,in Michigan,the wheat still looks really good,and is damn near ready to start threshing. Sugar beets look okay,I guess. Soy beans are kinda meh..lots of guys just got them in,like a week back or so. Dry beans..same story. Corn is all over the place,growth wise. Some is a couple feet tall,some just ankle high. We get rain this fall,in quantity,we could be screwed.

I watch Adapt 2030 channel,and Iceage farmer channel. Both are geared towards watching changing weather and solar patterns,and how it affects us.
I watch them also.
Try 'The Oppenheimer Ranch Project'. I think you will enjoy it.

I saw that there has been mention about canned veggie shortages, so today I had a few minutes to check Wallyworld. Yep, those notices all over the canned veggie isle.

Looked for canned Kippered Herring at Fred Meyer(Kroger) yesterday. Not even an empty space where they should be. So I bought a rack at Walmart today.

Last year the same Fred Meyer store reorganized the entire floor, widening all the isles. Hmmmmm.

The truth does not require your belief.

"Fracking involves a two-phase combustion process: the first phase burns borrowed money to produce oil and gas; the second burns the oil and the gas." Dmitri Orlov

Last edited by Exit308; July 25, 2019 at 19:33.
Exit308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2019, 20:27   #27
RG Coburn
Registered

"Try 'The Oppenheimer Ranch Project'. I think you will enjoy it."

I occasionally do,and his other channel,magnetic reversal news. But that guy is such a wired nut,he gets hard to watch after a while. Not saying he isn't smart.

You gotta watch the Kipper snacks. I avoid any not canned either Here,Canada,or western Europe. Lots of them are canned in China. Who knows what's in those.
Old July 26, 2019, 07:17   #28
starbuck
Registered

FALaholic #: 26466
We have so much food here its ridiculous. That said, I saw thousands of acres of empty fields driving through northern ohio. I didn't start looking till I noticed a guy working ground in the middle of july. We all had weird weather but apparently they had it worse.
Old July 26, 2019, 07:37   #29
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
That's what the clown does now. What a guy!

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019, 08:47   #30
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Sounds like he's draining the swamp critters to me.
I thought the “swamp” was supposed to refer to CONGRESS???

I guess getting rid of hard-working scientist-type employees who analyze proposals and who the write unpopular reports that go counter to the lies will have to suffice. And after all, it just FEELS GOOD to regurgitate pablum rhetoric in the smug (and false) belief that that good works are being done.

Old July 26, 2019, 20:35   #31
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

Quote:

I guess getting rid of hard-working scientist-type employees who analyze proposals and who the write unpopular reports that go counter to the lies will have to suffice. And after all, it just FEELS GOOD to regurgitate pablum rhetoric in the smug (and false) belief that that good works are being done.
Speaking of unpopular reports no-one wants to know about, here is an eye opener for the 'Team 'Merica will always prevail' gang. A real eye opener.

http://www.airforcemag.com/DocumentF...or-FY-2018.pdf

Gettin' jiggy with it.

"Fracking involves a two-phase combustion process: the first phase burns borrowed money to produce oil and gas; the second burns the oil and the gas." Dmitri Orlov
Old July 27, 2019, 07:54   #32
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Believe that specious justification if you like.

Old July 29, 2019, 19:57   #33
RG Coburn
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
We have so much food here its ridiculous. That said, I saw thousands of acres of empty fields driving through northern ohio. I didn't start looking till I noticed a guy working ground in the middle of july. We all had weird weather but apparently they had it worse.
I asked my farmer friend about crops yesterday. He related he had to take a couple trips out of state,and seeing very noticeable empty fields south of Michigan. Fields not planted. We shouldn't take the plenty we've always had as a future certainty.
Old July 29, 2019, 23:41   #34
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
We shouldn't take the plenty we've always had as a future certainty.
Bingo

Mother Nature has a sense of humor, and it can be dark.

She may not give a shit if we think we are exceptional.

Old July 30, 2019, 00:17   #35
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:

Congress are the little swamp critters,,,the major swamp critters,,are all the federal agencies full of lifetime employees writing rules and regulations,, doing interpretations of laws,,, without any "we the people" oversight.

Elected members of congress are afraid of these people.

Ya want an example,,,remember when the CDC,,got on the liberal band wagon of being anti gun until they were told,,,we'll cut your federal funding????

All those hard working scientist,,medical professional, would disarm all of us in a NY second.

Old July 30, 2019, 07:41   #36
Gravelface1
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 76927
With Hurricane Season here from June - November. Any squall incites mass panic and stores are run dry, water / bread / canned goods. Always try to keep several months worth of essentials stocked at all times.
Gravelface1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2019, 07:30   #37
Bug Tussell
Registered

FALaholic #: 2872
Crop security? Talk to a farmer. We live in agri land here south of Albuqueerque. Farmers around here are mainly alfalfa farmers. Maybe you get three cuttings, maybe you get four for a season. Maybe it rains after you cut so now your premium horse bales are now black cow bales.

We have a small apple crop this year. Used to be that we had a crop most years now most years we don't have a crop due to blossom freeze. This year's crop is small due to blossom freeze timing. Some trees are loaded, some trees are bare, and some trees have a nicely nature thinned crop of apples.

And good luck finding labor.
Old August 26, 2019, 13:19   #38
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Bought a flat (12 cans) of 75 cent fruit cocktail in light juice last night, and two cans of pork&beans, I should be good for the remainder of hurricane season. Seriously though, I was telling somebody just the other day that I rode out Michael last year without being part of the problem. In other words, I did not need to go to the bank for cash, the pumps for gas (either for the car/truck or the generator), or the store for food. Power was out for a week or so at the house. We got a little warm sometimes but not bad, ate good though.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2019, 19:54   #39
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Been adding more little by little. Today bought 100 lbs of long grain rice at Costco for storage. May get another 100 lbs this week since I have a few more empty gray water bricks.

Did the same thing about 4 years ago with these water bricks. Great for grain storage: