Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old October 05, 2019, 10:21   #151
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
I was drinking frou-frou sparkling water from France (tons of 'minus points'...) out of my BRCC mug (net neutral?) while listening to classic rock.
Was that Freedom Rock?! Turn it up, dude!
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2019, 13:34   #152
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
Was that Freedom Rock?! Turn it up, dude!
Negative.

Brunop considers Barry Manilow and Kenny G. classic rock...

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2019, 13:39   #153
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
Negative.

You really do want a flame war, huh ?

tdb59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2019, 13:45   #154
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post

I'm done being mister Goodbar!

Old October 05, 2019, 13:47   #155
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Whenever my kids walk into the garage and see me doing dry-firing or working on guns, they want to know if they can play Fortunate Son on the playlist. I don't know if that's Freedom Rock, but it's something like it.

People who only know Styx as the band of Lady, Come Sail Away, and Mr. Roboto don't know that Styx is the most pro-USA/Freedom Rock of all the major rock bands. Those guys freaking rock, AND they're on the right side of the argument.

I was listening to Styx - the most Underrated Band in Rock History.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2019, 13:48   #156
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Negative.

Fugger. It's on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59
No shit - that's war.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
Old October 05, 2019, 13:52   #157
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I'm done being mister Goodbar!
So, instead of Mr.Goodbar, you are what ?

Mounds of Almond Joy ?

( He types, while he Snickers to himself " today is Payday ! " )

Old October 05, 2019, 13:55   #158
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Ha. Also wrote my post BEFORE I saw 4x401 casting aspersions in my direction.

My classic rock faves are:

Styx
Led Zeppelin
Eagles
Scorpions
Pink Floyd

My 'Less Classic' rock faves are:

U2
The Cars
Peter Gabriel
Soundgarden
Foo Fighters

My 'Guilty Pleasure' listening is '80s pop like:

Michael Jackson
The Outfield
prolly a buncha one-hit wonders I can't think of just now

All you guys who are hanging on to

The Beatles
Thin Lizzy, and
Motown

can't take the blame for being at the end of the Boomer Generation. It's just your fate.
Old October 05, 2019, 14:05   #159
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
So, instead of Mr.Goodbar, you are what ?

Mounds of Almond Joy ?

( He types, while he Snickers to himself " today is Payday ! " )

Some say I resemble an Idaho spud...But my wife says I'm more of a Hundred Grand.

Old October 05, 2019, 14:33   #160
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Nice. The first two things that popped in my head would get me a ban.

100 grand µM ?
Old October 05, 2019, 14:41   #161
raexcct2
GIMP EX-CCT
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S Graham View Post
Anybody that has the funds to buy a 3000.00 AR should seriously be buying a Scar 16. A LOT more gun for the money, IMHO.
That is what I said on the original thread and what I did. I just never really got into AR-15's even though I carried a military version (GAU-5A) for over 25 years. I've always preferred a piston rifle over gas impingement as my first civilian rifle was an Armalite AR-180.
raexcct2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2019, 15:38   #162
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Whenever my kids walk into the garage and see me doing dry-firing or working on guns, they want to know if they can play Fortunate Son on the playlist.
Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2019, 21:34   #163
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Yup.
Old October 05, 2019, 22:00   #164
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Well Jeff,,,

even responding in this thread obviously shows.....

I've too much time on my hands....

Old October 05, 2019, 23:47   #165
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Nice one!!

You're a jet fuel genius.
Old October 05, 2019, 23:52   #166
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Well... there's good news and there's bad news:

Two different rifles: Sophia's rifle and the "Target Project" rifle.

Sophia's rifle shoots 1" - 1.5" groups with the Hornady Match (75 gr. BTHP @ 2790 fps) very repeatably. Prolly better if you'd get a better shooter - I don't think I'm a 1" holder with a 4x scope and no bags. You can see groups where I walk her scope down from the top target to the bottom target - right down the middle until I over-adjusted the scope. But that last group had a called flyer left and four rounds in 1/2". Scope was a Vortex PST 1-4 (I paid about $450 iirc). Also has a CHF DD lightweight 'pencil' barrel. Rest of the parts are very similar to the expensive gun.

The newly "built" (ha!) rifle had a really crappy group the first group of the day. 9 o'clock on the top target. That might have been the loose trigger nut...

So I took the can off and shot a very tiny group at 10 o'clock on the top target. Then you see another group about 1.5" up in the head on the right - also without the can. Then I put the can back on and shot a four shot group at the left edge of the head - one of the shots landed off the paper.

So this is NOT a comparison with the PSA stuff, since Sophia's rifle is mostly the same parts as the "Project / Target" rifle except for the barrel. And her scope is about $2000 less expensive than the USO scope - which I'm hating more by the day. I'm going to keep shooting that POS as way to motivate myself to publish/expose the Suck.

But so far I've learned the following:

1. In order to test the new build, I'm going to have to put a different / better scope on it

1. a. Vortex scopes are pretty dang good for the money. I'm really pleased with these PSTs (again).

2. The can moves the POA / POI by at least 6" vertically on the Noveske SS 'target' barrel, and doesn't seem to help with accuracy

3. Haven't seen exceptional "potential" from the "Project / Target" rifle yet - not enough rounds fired. The SS barrel *may* have potential as seen by one group, but Soph's barrel also shot a tiny group (+ called flyer), so it could just be luck.

4. The real test comes when PSA shows up.

And there will be many more rounds fired.

Last edited by brunop; October 06, 2019 at 00:13.
Old October 06, 2019, 18:46   #167
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
Some say I resemble an Idaho spud...But my wife says I'm more of a Hundred Grand.
Maybe you identify as this?

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 06, 2019, 20:06   #168
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Maybe you identify as this?

Don't even smoke it..

Old October 06, 2019, 20:37   #169
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Don't even smoke it..
With the plastic wrappers it would probably smell awful...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 00:23   #170
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Okay, okay. Back away from the Mary Jane and get back to the Flame War known as my thread...

Just letting you know that my good friend Invictus77 is making sure that no one forgets the PITA/Greatness known as EricCartmann1, AND...

That the PSA rifle is able to fully represent when it is completed.

First of all, I grew up in South Bay when the Raiders were Oakland - and when they were great. Secondly, that picture always reminded me of George Blanda.

Thanks, Mike!
Old October 09, 2019, 05:26   #171
Story
Registered

Quote:

1. In order to test the new build, I'm going to have to put a different / better scope on it

1. a. Vortex scopes are pretty dang good for the money. I'm really pleased with these PSTs (again).
A. Does SuckScope suck on another rifle or just this one?

B. You have 2 (two) #1 Items.

Jus' sayin'.
Old October 09, 2019, 05:39   #172
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post

Jus' sayin'.
Is there a law, statute, order or regulation against co-equal number ones?

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 08:37   #173
Story
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
Is there a law, statute, order or regulation against co-equal number ones?
I just need some moral clarity on Priority of Fires, bra.
Old October 09, 2019, 09:42   #174
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
I just need some moral clarity on Priority of Fires, bra.
...and how much suck does a suck scope suck?

Carlos Castenada
Old October 09, 2019, 10:29   #175
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
...and how much suck does a suck scope suck?
When the reticle has come loose and is rattling around in bottom of scope it sucks big. Why on a life and death battle rifle an etched glass reticle is not a bad idea as lense has to come loose for reticle to come loose.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 10:36   #176
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
When the reticle has come loose and is rattling around in bottom of scope it sucks big.
Why on a life and death battle rifle an etched glass reticle is not a bad idea as lense has to come loose for reticle to come loose.
Yep. I have not thought of it in those terms before so thanks!
My life and death BR's are iron sighted or iron sighted and ACOG'd.

Carlos Castenada
Old October 09, 2019, 10:58   #177
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I only use solar powered sights , since the Sun is life, and life without the Sun would be a cold, long death, and my battle rifels only want to live where the Sun is shining.

If you don't like the Sun shining on you and your battle rifel, you should put it where the Sun don't shine.

Old October 09, 2019, 11:02   #178
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

That ^ was excellent, and fully reminiscent of one CE - Poet Laureate of the Files.

Thank goodness it's shining over here today: I can't fit an FAL where the sun don't shine.
Old October 09, 2019, 11:04   #179
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:

Jus' sayin'.
b. I know I did that wrong, but I was in a hurry and doing the 1, 1a, 1b, etc. thing.

a. Suck Scope is going to get another chance to prove itself on a different rifle in the next week or so.
Old October 09, 2019, 11:10   #180
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
I only use solar powered sights , since the Sun is life, and life without the Sun would be a cold, long death, and my battle rifels only want to live where the Sun is shining.

If you don't like the Sun shining on you and your battle rifel, you should put it where the Sun don't shine.

Well, 80s here today with sun.

Tomorrow, 30 degree F high, no sun and snow.

While the sun won't be shining on my battle rifal tomorrow and I don't plan on putting it where the Sun don't shine, I probably won't be shooting in anyway then...

Forrest
Old October 09, 2019, 11:18   #181
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Well, 80s here today with sun.

Tomorrow, 30 degree F high, no sun and snow.

While the sun won't be shining on my battle rifal tomorrow and I don't plan on putting it where the Sun don't shine, I probably won't be shooting in anyway then...

Forrest
Hell, I live in the land of frozen tundra and you're scaring me!

Oh, and ACOG is solar powered...also radioactive.

Carlos Castenada
Old October 09, 2019, 11:24   #182
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Hell, I live in the land of frozen tundra and you're scaring me!

Oh, and ACOG is solar powered...also radioactive.
Radioactive decay produces heat, something I'll probably need tomorrow. Maybe I'll just curl up with all my tritium night sights around me...

Forrest
Old October 09, 2019, 11:27   #183
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Radioactive decay produces heat, something I'll probably need tomorrow. Maybe I'll just curl up with all my tritium night sights around me...

Forrest
Now, there is a glowing recommendation !

Old October 09, 2019, 11:49   #184
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Now, there is a glowing recommendation !
Do you think that I should use sunblock? After all, sunblock converts UV to heat.

Sounds like a double win to me, protection from radiation and heat...

Forrest
Old October 09, 2019, 11:57   #185
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Do you think that I should use sunblock? After all, sunblock converts UV to heat.

Sounds like a double win to me, protection from radiation and heat...

Forrest
Grandpa always joked, "marry a fat woman and get heat in the winter and shade in the summer!"

I've said this recently, but Gramma was a tall, thin and pretty brunette, so...?

I miss them both.

Carlos Castenada
Old October 10, 2019, 08:19   #186
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Even when I build a 24" to 26" varmint/target build with a 6-24x, 5-25x or 8-36x type glass that will only be used for grouping on paper or killing varmints at distances I even see with irons they still get iron sights anyway. Even with the best scope made some day it might break some day when rifle is needed for life and death and if need to throw the scope in the weeds and keep working a set of irons will beat eyeballing down the pic rail.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old October 11, 2019, 10:42   #187
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
...working a set of irons will beat eyeballing down the pic rail.
Amen.

Terry's impressive display notwithstanding.
Old October 11, 2019, 10:57   #188
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Amen.

Terry's impressive display notwithstanding.
Old age + treachery > youth + exuberance.

Old October 11, 2019, 11:03   #189
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Also:

knowing your limits makes you look like a genius instead of a retard kid.
Old October 11, 2019, 11:26   #190
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Old age + treachery beats youth + exuberance TALENT.

When me and the boys were all racing dirt bikes, they bought me a T shirt one time that said something along that line
Old October 11, 2019, 12:54   #191
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Also:

And there's always that...

Forrest
Old October 11, 2019, 21:29   #192
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Also:

Speaking of retarded- I am going to throw a bunch of parts together, and play this silly game.

Critical Capabilities 1-8 HBAR profile Carbine barrel and RR upper ( 100-024-570 @ Brownell's ) , some sort of gas block, Colt B/C, Aero lower with a RR green label 2-stage trigger and a VXII 2-7x33 Leupold.

What is our go-to ammo on this brunop ?

If we do not have some semblance of standardization, Kotengu wont be able to make another spread sheet....

Old October 11, 2019, 23:45   #193
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

I'm not dying to spend nearly $1/round on the Hornady Match ($19.99 / 20 rds. at Sportsmans Warehouse in Albany...), so I'm going to go with W.E.G.'s suggestion to consider the Serbian match stuff:

PPU .223 Match 75 gr. HPBT for $345/1000 rounds - and Gary says it is 10-ring ammo, which is probably good enough for me. My experience with PPU "match" is that the .308 168 gr. is 1.5 MOA ammo, while FCC GMM is sub-MOA ammo, so NOT equal.

Truth is that I can't hold sub-moa these days unless I'm bagged front and rear, so I don't know if it matters. And 1/3 the price seems like a legit ammo price - it's the same price Bi-Mart is selling M193 on stripper clips for.

I haven't ordered any yet. I'm still waiting for PSA to deliver my kit and my lowers (to you, I might add...).
Old Yesterday, 13:18   #194
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

The ammo I use to benchmark 5.56 builds for the past few years is the Tubbs 69 grain SMKs. It's the most consistent out of the box ammo have found for under a buck per round. Loaded up by adding 100 to 500 rounds to each Tubbs order which noticing it has climbed to 88 cents per round am glad I did as have enough put back to last a while. My last invoice shows 77 cents per round. He is offering a 77 grain SMK flavor as well now but when have a mix of barrels from 1:6.5, 1:7, 1:8 and 1:9 as a majority the 77s don't favor the slower twist and the 69s are perfect in 1:8 twist tunes which I seem to have more of than any other single twist rate.

Quote:
David Tubb's 223 Rem ammunition sets the benchmark for performance and reliability. By using only quality grade*components David Tubb's ammunition*is able to provide the most uniform ballistic performance you could ask for.

David Tubb's 223 Rem is loaded using 69gr Sierra Matchking bullets allowing it to be used in lower twist barrels while maximizing it's mid-range accuracy. He then placed that on top of a charge of carefully slected temperature insensitive powder ensuring that your velocities won't fluctuate even if the weather does; couple that with Lake City brass and a match grade primer and you have one of the most accurate and reliable rounds available.
http://www.davidtubb.com/tubb-precis...0-69-ammo-bulk

When benchmarking my 1:12 twist tubes use Black Hills 52 grain HP Match. The 52 grain Black Hills is very consistent and whether running through a 1:12 Colt factory rifle or a 24" heavy varmint build it seems to shoot as well as about anything I have found unless hunt down that one varient or build a load from scratch for a particular rifle. Same with Tubbs ammo, it and the Black Hills seem almost impervious to temperature change and whether 20° or 90° point of impact change is negligable as is grouping unless shoot too many rounds too quickly when its over 90° and dont give the rifle necessary cool down periods if shooting for minimum group sizes. Have lots of nice pet handloads for individual rifles but like to use a factory ammo others can buy if want to compare results and be sure ammo is apples for apples.

Discovered Tubbs ammo when built my first pair of 6XC AR 10s and discovered it was going to set me back $500 in specialty dies to load for the cartridge and at the time new brass and loaded ammo was about the same price so purchased two fifty round boxes of the 115 grain DTAC and it shot so good kept buying the stuff to make once fired brass while I gathered all the necessary specialty dies and accessories for loading 6XC to discover it's almost impossible to build a load that will out shoot the Tubbs factory DTAC. In shooting the stuff learned how important the boron nitride coating is for first cold bore round to land in the same place a warmed and fouled barrel groups when sighting in.

Now all my projectiles use for target and varmints get treated with the Tubbs boron nitride coating system which is much cleaner and works much better than moly coating. His ammo has the most consistent factory powder charges have ever compared and have to use a $3,000 electronic scientific scale to weigh them as even my best reloading scales say all charges are exactly the same to the last decimal. I can't load better ammo figuring any value on my time than buying the Tubbs ammo.
Old Yesterday, 13:30   #195
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Quote:
I'm not dying to spend nearly $1/round on the Hornady Match ($19.99 / 20 rds. at Sportsmans Warehouse in Albany...), so I'm going to go with W.E.G.'s suggestion to consider the Serbian match stuff:

PPU .223 Match 75 gr. HPBT for $345/1000 rounds - and Gary says it is 10-ring ammo, which is probably good enough for me. My experience with PPU "match" is that the .308 168 gr. is 1.5 MOA ammo, while FCC GMM is sub-MOA ammo, so NOT equal.

Truth is that I can't hold sub-moa these days unless I'm bagged front and rear, so I don't know if it matters. And 1/3 the price seems like a legit ammo price - it's the same price Bi-Mart is selling M193 on stripper clips for.

I haven't ordered any yet. I'm still waiting for PSA to deliver my kit and my lowers (to you, I might add...).
My 200 yard load is 22 grains of Tac and that bullet.

Used to get them from Wideners.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:06   #196
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:

PPU .223 Match 75 gr. HPBT for $345/1000 rounds - and Gary says it is 10-ring ammo, which is probably good enough for me. My experience with PPU "match" is that the .308 168 gr. is 1.5 MOA ammo, while FCC GMM is sub-MOA ammo, so NOT equal. ...

This ^ stuff is at BiMart for $7.97 a box.

Should I get more ?

Old Yesterday, 14:19   #197
12v71
Registered

FALaholic #: 71127
Wow, that's a deal. If I was shooting a poodle popper I would be on that.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:33   #198
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:

This ^ stuff is at BiMart for $7.97 a box.

Should I get more ?

Buy them out. I'm going to go do the same over here.
Old Yesterday, 15:34   #199
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Raider View Post
My 200 yard load is 22 grains of Tac and that bullet.

Used to get them from Wideners.
"That bullet" is the Hornady 75 gr. BTHP?

Yeah - I want a truck load of those. Do you shoot Tac a lot, or is that a .223-specific powder for your uses?