The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old December 11, 2019, 22:44   #1
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Torn rotator cuff

Anyone ever get a torn rotator cuff shoulder injury?

Pretty sure that's what I got and it pretty much sucks.

Did you need surgery? Or let it heal on it's own? Take forever to heal? I'm going on about 2-3 months and maybe possibly it might just maybe potentially starting to suck a little bit less maybe.

Few things make you feel like a wuss as when you wince in pain trying to pick up your 15 pound yippy lapdog from the floor or put on a jacket.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2019, 22:51   #2
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
My best friend had it, and after shoulder surgery his was casted so he walked around for three weeks with his arm straight out horizontal and bent vertical at the elbow. Like the “right turn” hand signal.

He hooked it on a door jam one or two times.

ďAnyone who doesnít think the Welfare Industrial Complex is trying to increase dependency isnít paying attention.Ē - Howie Carr

Last edited by ExCdnSoldierInTx; December 12, 2019 at 00:21.
ExCdnSoldierInTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2019, 22:51   #3
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
If it's a full tear I don't think they heal on their own.

If it's partial I think they try physical therapy and other things first.

You probably have to go see somebody if you haven't already.
Old December 11, 2019, 23:10   #4
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
I have had rotator cuff surgery...

Twice on the same (right) shoulder...

I originally tore the rotator cuff attachments and the biceps attachment on the shoulder (tripped on my daughter's shoes and fell down the stairs to my basement). Damage to both shoulders, but the right was ruined (and I'm right-handed, of course).

The only way to fix tears like mine is surgery. Make sure that you find a good surgeon who specializes in this type of surgery.

Arthoscopic rotator cuff surgery entails a couple of small incisions (usually three) to allow the ends of the rotator cuff tendons to be reattached to the humerous head by the use of biodegradable screws into the humerous head. For me, that also included the same for the biceps attachment.

There will be no cast for this. You will wear a sling for a few weeks that keeps your arm in the correct position, and you will start physical therapy almost immediately. Do not skimp on the PT (you start with passive PT (they move your shoulder to get range of motion) and move on to active PT). The PT is very important...

If you have a partial tear, you will probably end up tearing it completely. If you tear it from the humerous, it will not reattach by itself...

I wish you the best of luck...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2019, 23:19   #5
mpddoug162
Registered

FALaholic #: 81781
Go see a dr. The first thing they will have you do is go get an X-ray which will come back as nothing broken which then allows your dr. To convince the insurance to pay for a mri since itís the next progressive test after a negative X-ray. The severity of the damage will determine if you try to let it heal on its own over several months or dive into to a surgical repair, immobilization, physical therapy and then limited range of motion from now on. My dr put in a standing X-ray order for me at the hospital that was good for one year depending on how things went as time went by and if it was getting better on its own, worse or no change. Good luck
mpddoug162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 00:25   #6
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
I have had rotator cuff surgery...

Twice on the same (right) shoulder...

I originally tore the rotator cuff attachments and the biceps attachment on the shoulder (tripped on my daughter's shoes and fell down the stairs to my basement). Damage to both shoulders, but the right was ruined (and I'm right-handed, of course).

The only way to fix tears like mine is surgery. Make sure that you find a good surgeon who specializes in this type of surgery.

Arthoscopic rotator cuff surgery entails a couple of small incisions (usually three) to allow the ends of the rotator cuff tendons to be reattached to the humerous head by the use of biodegradable screws into the humerous head. For me, that also included the same for the biceps attachment.

There will be no cast for this. You will wear a sling for a few weeks that keeps your arm in the correct position, and you will start physical therapy almost immediately. Do not skimp on the PT (you start with passive PT (they move your shoulder to get range of motion) and move on to active PT). The PT is very important...

If you have a partial tear, you will probably end up tearing it completely. If you tear it from the humerous, it will not reattach by itself...

I wish you the best of luck...

Forrest
So I never inquired as to the immobilizing of his arm in such a goofy way, what would cause that to have to occur?
It was three years ago so not so long back, and he definitely had some rotator cuff surgery.

ďAnyone who doesnít think the Welfare Industrial Complex is trying to increase dependency isnít paying attention.Ē - Howie Carr
ExCdnSoldierInTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 00:42   #7
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Iíve known a few people with rotator cuff tears with surgery and none of them were ever in a cast.

I had a partial tear that I got while whitewater kayaking, went to eddy out, tipped in the eddy line, went to roll up and caught my oar in the eddy line which basically ripped my shoulder apart. Didnít have insurance so I didnít go to the doctor. Couldnít lift my arm up higher than half way between my elbow and my shoulder, couldnít sleep on my side or put any pressure on it, couldnít lift anything substantial with that arm. Took about a year before I could lift my arm above my shoulder and another 6 months or so before I could get it straight up and have full range of motion.

Most surgery is in and out these days and PT will have you up and running in no time. I think there is even some stem cell injections they can give you that make the healing portion go even faster.
Old December 12, 2019, 01:02   #8
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
My left shoulder "clicks" all the time when I'm using it. What causes that?
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 01:06   #9
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
Getting older and noticing shit

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 01:39   #10
Reformed Lurker
Registered

FALaholic #: 12133
Dec 17 will be one year for me. I had a partial tear, just this week I can actual you sleep on that side again. It does work but be prepared for a long recovery
Old December 12, 2019, 06:45   #11
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
I was a year in Oct. with whats considered a partial tear of all 3 rotor cuff ligaments. They consider anything less then 75% torn as partial.
Ive finally given up on it healing itseif any better and just went for a second opinion for surgery. Just waiting on approval from workmens comp at this point.

While its way better then it was, there are still things I can not do, or I pay by feeling like someone hit me with a bat and a painful sleepless night..Anything like repetitive shoulder motion, any work overhead, any impact or hammering, etc.
Seriously sucks,,,I feel for you.
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 07:30   #12
TedKennedy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 77344
Quote:
Switch hands, you're wearing that one out.
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 07:33   #13
TedKennedy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 77344
I've had both shoulders done, one with the old knife method, second the "new" method. Both take a long time to recover from, as mentioned above - PT is essential. Skimp on PT, wimp out, and you'll lose range of motion as you heal.

I had one done in 2009, one in 2013, good as new today, I can get in and out of my mobility scooter with ease. (just kidding, I'm very active)
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 08:08   #14
ServiceRifle
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 23959
I have a torn rotator cuff and was planning to have surgery (this was 4 or 5 years ago). I went to the surgeon and we actually had the surgery scheduled.

After reading about the surgery - and understanding that you only have a 85% success rate. And after understanding that I would have to live with that foam pillow under my arm for 6 weeks or so - I decided not to do it.

So my rotator cuff is still torn after five years - and I am perfectly content with that. The only thing I can't do is extend my arm perpendicular to my body and hold anything with any weight for more than a couple of seconds.

The discomfort that I had with the initial injury went away over the course of the first year. I feel a little discomfort when I raise my left arm straight up over my head - it feels sort of like a sore muscle. But otherwise (IN MY CASE) I have no other adverse effects.

Each person needs to make his own EDUCATED DECISION - I don't want to try to influence anyone.

I made the informed decision that the risk associated with surgery, the likelihood of a successful conclusion, the hassle of the recovery, and the long term downside impact FOR ME - were just not worth it.

Now if I were a left handed pitcher with a 98 MPH fastball I might have pursued a different course.
ServiceRifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 08:18   #15
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Torn both, Dr X at Emory has his office in same building as the Atlanta Hawks training camp. He does mostly only high profile professional and Olympic athletes but his work is impeccable. Both shoulders felt better in just three months than had felt in years. Was back rock climbing eight to ten weeks after each rotator repair where he found additional issues like bone spurs and such that dated back to high school sports and shoulders never felt better.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 09:07   #16
bjohns61
Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 47077
Have the surgery! Tore my left in 86, no surgery, my mistake. It took ten years to get my left arm over my head. Tore right in 2006, had the surgery, rehab was painful but got better within three to four months.

Just my experience.
bjohns61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 13:16   #17
hardheaded
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
Get it done , the sooner the better
Or
You can do like I did and waited for years until the parts totally sheared from the bone and get left with a train wreck where your shoulder used to be
Old December 12, 2019, 13:47   #18
frankxtc
Registered

FALaholic #: 10952
Fell off my road race bike during a race @ Bridgehampton in 1977, broke the Right collarbone into 3 pieces.
Surgeon stuck a stainless pin through the bone pieces & it stuck out of the shoulder meat for about 6 weeks, while healing. All the decades after that, I thought the damage did not heal, and thus the reason for all the popping/clicking/pain.
A few years ago, finally had the best orthopedic guy here look at it, MRI showed rotator cuff torn in half. He said that it was too retracted to sew back together, after ignoring it all those decades.
What he did for me was to open it up, clean out all the pieces of cartilage, grind down the bone spurs.
The pain is gone, as are all the interesting noises.
I did not go to therapy, did the exercises myself. It has healed up perfectly, except that due to the missing rotator cuff connection, no strength in overhead lifts.
Two years ago, tore the Left rotator cuff, on my back, in bed, reaching over my head to grab a pillow.
Same surgeon. (Now that I had the sense to see him immediately).
He looks at the MRI, says ďThat is a 2.5cm tear, I donít think I can fix itĒ
Same deal as before, he opens it up, cleans it out, grinds bone spurs, etc.
I went to the therapy, big mistake, had to pay out of pocket $5k, and the Left works very poorly now.
I do not go in for collecting guns.
I never buy a gun unless I really need it.
As a matter of fact, I really only need about a dozen, or possibly fourteen, more guns than I have now.
frankxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 14:07   #19
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankxtc View Post
Fell off my road race bike during a race @ Bridgehampton in 1977, broke the Right collarbone into 3 pieces.
Surgeon stuck a stainless pin through the bone pieces & it stuck out of the shoulder meat for about 6 weeks, while healing. All the decades after that, I thought the damage did not heal, and thus the reason for all the popping/clicking/pain.
A few years ago, finally had the best orthopedic guy here look at it, MRI showed rotator cuff torn in half. He said that it was too retracted to sew back together, after ignoring it all those decades.
What he did for me was to open it up, clean out all the pieces of cartilage, grind down the bone spurs.
The pain is gone, as are all the interesting noises.
I did not go to therapy, did the exercises myself. It has healed up perfectly, except that due to the missing rotator cuff connection, no strength in overhead lifts.
Two years ago, tore the Left rotator cuff, on my back, in bed, reaching over my head to grab a pillow.
Same surgeon. (Now that I had the sense to see him immediately).
He looks at the MRI, says “That is a 2.5cm tear, I don’t think I can fix it”
Same deal as before, he opens it up, cleans it out, grinds bone spurs, etc.
I went to the therapy, big mistake, had to pay out of pocket $5k, and the Left works very poorly now.
Sorry about your experience...

My comment about the critical importance of PT applies only to PT after the surgery...

If you have the surgery, the PT is critically important for full recovery.

Forrest
Old December 12, 2019, 14:31   #20
BamaFal
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5018
I had a partial tear, followed by therapy. I then had a full tear which caused me to be unable to sleep as I could not get comfortable without painkillers.

I was very fortunate to have a quality surgeon that went in and performed the surgery complete with video. I was issued a sling and cushion to imoblize the arm and a device something like a football shoulder pad, for the repaired shoulder, that would inflate and compress the shoulder and circulate ice cold water to reduce swelling post-surgery to speed up recovery time for about a week to 10 days.

As stated in earlier posts, pt is VERY important. Screw the pain and aggravation you have to do it anyway. Today, 5+ years later I am enjoying full range of pain free motion.

Good luck to you! It was interesting to me how many people I saw in public wearing slings like I was wearing during recovery - like being in a club!

NRA Life Member
BamaFal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 15:09   #21
frankxtc
Registered

FALaholic #: 10952
Where I live, PT is just another medical scam, therapist company makes $$$, insurance company makes $$$, patient receives no benefit, just bills.
I do not go in for collecting guns.
I never buy a gun unless I really need it.
As a matter of fact, I really only need about a dozen, or possibly fourteen, more guns than I have now.
frankxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 15:55   #22
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
I had that in my right shoulder. Got so bad that it would lock up if I moved it a certain way. Was so worried about shoulder repair surgery but my Ortho surgeon looked at the X-rays and asked me one question. Did I play sandlot football without pads? He then showed me the pictures and said that all of those crooked bones were supposed to be straight. He estimated that I had broken my shoulder at least 2-3 times. I asked if I would have known that I hurt my shoulder and he said sure, it would have hurt. But most likely you took some Tylenol or Motrin, maybe a hot pad or ice pack and a couple of day taking it easy. Back to normal routine in less than a week.

The only way to repair that is to re-break the bones, set them in the proper orientation and then immobilize the arm/shoulder until it heals. Then PT to regain full motion. Other option was PT to regain motion. Took 4 weeks of PT 3Xweek and have pretty much full motion and no more locking up.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 16:59   #23
Trypcil
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
I was diagnosed with two torn rotator cuffs - they wanted to operate!. 5 days after the diagnosis I went to Russia for work.
In Kislovodsk, I was involved in a rather unpleasant work related vehicle wreck - I was fine, others were not. By the time the medics got around to me - my right arm and face was all cut up with glass(the least injured)..... anyway, the medic lifted my arm and of course I said whoa - it hurt, and I explained that I had torn rotators in both arms.
He looked me over asked where it hurt, prodded and pushed etc..... then told me that I hadn't gotten torn rotators - but was suffering from an auto immune issue, a rheumatism.
He advised me to alter my eating habits - not to eat anything with Wheat in it - things like Pizza, bread, beer - he said American wheat is bad - anyway he cleaned me up and I went back to work.
By the time I left Russia both arms were fully functioning again, no pain and full movement - that was 2005, and I am fine today.
Whenever I eat pizza or eat too much bread, I feel the arms getting sore again, within a day - I firmly believe that the food we eat is poisoning us - so get a second opinion.
US doctors are to quick to jump to the operating option - you should see another doctor, one that is not so mainstream.
That aside I have a couple of friends who got operated on regarding Rotator cuffs(its seemingly common in my industry) - neither have full operation usage of their arms, post op! Basically I blame monsanto, who have corrupted our wheat production, our vegetable oil production with erroneously altered grain products!

Take that for what ever - I don't trust doktors, they make money by what they do - whether necessary or not! Good luck.

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression... There is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we must be most aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." -- William O. Douglas, US Supreme Court Justice from 1939-1975

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti
Trypcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 17:47   #24
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Sorry for your injury Brother Tak. Every man and one woman that I know that had a torn rotator cuff injury eventually needed surgery, not how much other treatment pre-surgical intervention they went through.

God bless.

Jarhead
Old December 12, 2019, 19:37   #25
FNfreak
Registered

FALaholic #: 1081
Had Both done. Best thing I ever did. Will never throw a baseball or football again without slinging like a girl, otherwise, I'm 100%.
FNfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019, 20:26   #26
Tak
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardheaded View Post
Or
You can do like I did and waited for years until the parts totally sheared from the bone and get left with a train wreck where your shoulder used to be
That sounds like my usual mode of operation.

Thanks everyone for sharing your 2 cents.

Sounds like I'm gonna head to the fix-it doctor in January maybe and see how bad it is.

I can move my arm up over my shoulder, like raising your hand to ask a question, but it feels sore when I do that at the top of my deltoid.

I can sleep laying on my side on that shoulder but there is some soreness doing that, too. Not enough to keep me from sleeping though, and I try to sleep on the other side

what vexes me is I just can't pin down when it happened. Just one day I started to notice it then noticed it more and more.

I've always done weight lifting for the past 15 years, I was maybe pushing myself this spring and summer a bit more than I was used to.

I did a Run and Gun and had a few basic obstacles.

I hoped over my yard fence to prove I could still do it

Picked up a big rolling trash bin (the kind the robot garbage trucks grab from your curb)

I've done a lot of stuff that could put a lot of strain on my shoulder.

But just can't remember any incident where I went owwwww ! and then was hurt. It's like it snuck up on me.

And some stuff I can still do. I dug a hole for a fence post with the old time post hole digger. I chopped down some brush with a machete. no worse for the wear doing that. But some simple things will just make me sore or give me a twinge.

With my great (sarc) insurance I gotta pay everything out of pocket up to my deductible I don't even know what it is anymore, like $5,000. I guess a visit and diagnostic can't burn me more than $500 or so bucks.

Last edited by Tak; December 12, 2019 at 20:33.
Old December 12, 2019, 20:37   #27
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
Tore everything in my left shoulder possible when I hit a concrete floor from 12'. I was getting off a big excavator and my left foot slipped. I hung on to one of the lift cylinder steel lines and swung until my right arm broke and I slammed into the floor. Basically I blew it out. Went in to surgery and came out 6 hrs. later. I had 9mm gap between the cuff ends, my labrum was ripped ragged both anterior and posterior, tricep , bicep, pectoral muscles were all torn. I was 3 months rehab and gave up baseball and swinging a 20# sledgehammer. I use a crossbow and am aware of what I can or cannot do with it. But at 65 I can still go to the climbing gym, shoot hoops and throw snowballs with the grandkids. I still do the rehab exercises daily to keep everything strong, stretched and as good as it is. I also sleep on my left side.
Old December 13, 2019, 00:58   #28
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
I havenít had surgery on a shoulder yet, however my father-in-law and brothers-in-law have both had both shoulders repaired.
I know my father-in-lawís were both full tears. Generally speaking if you Ďtearí something in your body ( mussel, tendon, ligament etc) they donít heel on their own or grow back.
Iím looking at knee surgery to replace a torn ACL. It has re-grown but when the Dr. scoped and probed it it was all super soft rather than being tough.

Good luck if you end up needing surgery, both my father-in-law and brother-in-law said it was the best thing they could have done, sucked at the time but now are back to full activity.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2019, 15:36   #29
needafal
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 15194
DAMN! Apparently we are a bunch of broken down men.

Just joking and not speaking for anybody else.

I too had both shoulders done (and back, and heart, and other crap).

Just do the surgery. It sux and is expensive and PT is a F*CKING scam. But waiting... and hoping ain't gonna fix it.

Good luck brother.
Old December 13, 2019, 21:28   #30
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
I was beating the shit out of Chuck Norris one night when I fell or was pushed out of bed onto the peak of my shoulder,,, with all my weight, 230 lb,,, I've been shot I been stabbed I've had bones broken multiple times,,, The pain from the rotator cuff lasted longer.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2019, 06:47   #31
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Unless something changes, Im now scheduled for surgery on mine Jan 15.....I'll lyk how mine goes,,,,
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2019, 12:25   #32
Tak
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Unless something changes, Im now scheduled for surgery on mine Jan 15.....I'll lyk how mine goes,,,,
Good luck man !
Old December 18, 2019, 16:52   #33
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Good luck man !
I add my 'Good Luck' wishes...

Forrest