Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old December 14, 2019, 09:19   #1
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
A fishing tale from the past...

I recently sent an email to one of the writers at the Austin American-Statesman regarding an article of his that had referenced the Little River that runs near my hometown. He got in touch and asked if I would let him publish it and also if I had any photographs of those days.

The email was published yesterday in the Express edition of the paper and I thought some folks here could surely relate to my story. Here's a link to the article:

https://nam11.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Know your rights; the future is unwritten.
Texgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2019, 09:25   #2
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Very cool Gary
Old December 14, 2019, 09:38   #3
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Thanks for the story. Nice!
Old December 14, 2019, 10:18   #4
ROBNTX
Registered

FALaholic #: 79719
Nice write up, thanks for sharing. I could visualize it while reading, good stuff and lost times.
ROBNTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2019, 10:35   #5
C-ya
One day at a time...
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16313
Nice story. Brings back childhood memories of simpler times.
C-ya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2019, 11:36   #6
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Well written!
Old December 14, 2019, 12:40   #7
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Very cool. Thanks for posting this.
Old December 14, 2019, 21:44   #8
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Hey, I appreciate the great comments! I'm glad you liked the memories. When I was asked if I had photos from those trips, I knew there would be very few. For one, we were down at the river all the time. It was just a common occurrence and nothing special to document. Another reason was film was expensive to develop or so my folks thought. That pic of my Dad with Tom Woods says Sept. '59 but hell, the film might've been in the camera for several months or more.

The outing shown by the pic with me in it, was taken on the high bank of the Little River, south of Rogers, Texas. It was about 25 miles or so from Cameron. I remember that time very well. Tom and Daddy ran over a real big soft-shell turtle with the boat motor (a 7 horse Wizard from Western Auto-that thing weighed a ton too!). They decided to cut the turtle up and fry it along with the fish. I recall that it was tough as hell too. I went to the river with my Mom, my maternal grandmother, (that's her in the background, born in 1895) and Tom's wife Mary Jo on a Saturday after the men had put out their lines on Friday.

Tom worked under my Dad in the potlines at ALCOA as well as being a fishing partner. He outlived Dad by many years and every time I ran into him, he talked about Dad and the great times they had fishing. Those guys would've not have believed that 60 years later, their names and faces would appear in a big city newspaper.

I loved the times we spent on and in that river. I wish I could do it again. Thanks for reading it and posting your replies!

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Old December 15, 2019, 08:54   #9
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Cool story dude

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2019, 09:30   #10
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed the read. My dad and I are hoping to get over you texas to do some fishing sometime next year.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!Ē -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2019, 11:04   #11
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Great family story and neat photos!
I can relate, coming from several generations of river rats, duck hunters and catfishermen.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2019, 12:18   #12
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Cool story dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed the read. My dad and I are hoping to get over you texas to do some fishing sometime next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
Great family story and neat photos!
I can relate, coming from several generations of river rats, duck hunters and catfishermen.

Thanks for giving it a read! Those sure were special times. I just heard from my cousin Becky about the story, and as I told her in reply, what I wouldn't give for one more ride on the river with Dad and Elzy.

Old December 21, 2019, 13:20   #13
CTW
Registered

FALaholic #: 41894
Gary what a great Family story. Iím afraid most kids wonít get to live this, or experience this kind of thing. Iím 46 and have fond memories of fishing and hunting with my Dad. Iím trying to do the same kind of stuff with my kids. Itís hard nowadays, but I wonít give up. I can honestly say spending time with my Dad when I was a teenager and young man 18-22 kept me from stepping over the edge, so to speak. I really enjoyed your story. Thanks for posting it.!!!
Old December 21, 2019, 20:20   #14
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTW View Post
Gary what a great Family story. Iím afraid most kids wonít get to live this, or experience this kind of thing. Iím 46 and have fond memories of fishing and hunting with my Dad. Iím trying to do the same kind of stuff with my kids. Itís hard nowadays, but I wonít give up. I can honestly say spending time with my Dad when I was a teenager and young man 18-22 kept me from stepping over the edge, so to speak. I really enjoyed your story. Thanks for posting it.!!!
You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed that bit of family history lore.