The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old October 28, 2019, 22:29   #1
Eeben
Registered

FALaholic #: 72911
Powder comparison

Does a powder comparison tool exist anywhere? I'm not looking for a reloading cost calculator but more of a calculator that shows how many grains of different powders it take to achieve similar fps.
Eeben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2019, 22:38   #2
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
If its not a listed load then proceed at your own risk. That said, I have interpolated load data to estimate what velocities should be. But I never deviate far from listed loads. Some manuals list powders in order of burn rate. That can be helpful.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2019, 05:52   #3
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Are you looking for something like this? If so, this is a sample from One Book/One Caliber. Works fine for me. Handy reference material.

RVN 67-68

Last edited by ArtBanks; October 29, 2019 at 05:59.
ArtBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2019, 10:55   #4
Eeben
Registered

That is more of what I'm looking for. Most manuals only show a starting load and a max load for a few powders. I'm looking for an extensive database where I can truly compare the amount of powder it takes to reach several different velocities with a given projectile and compare that to other powders to see which is the most economical.
Old October 30, 2019, 12:24   #5
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
If you are loading a published bullet/powder combination then all you need to fill in between min and max is basic math.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2019, 12:26   #6
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeben View Post
That is more of what I'm looking for. Most manuals only show a starting load and a max load for a few powders. I'm looking for an extensive database where I can truly compare the amount of powder it takes to reach several different velocities with a given projectile and compare that to other powders to see which is the most economical.
https://loaddata.com/MetallicSearchResults?page=17

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2019, 13:39   #7
Tim Dreas
Registered

FALaholic #: 17255
The Hornady and Sierra manuals usually have velocity columns.

These are fairly wide ranging from too low to maximum loads.

They do give an idea how much more or less of a powder will change velocity by a certain amount.

Other manuals often have a minimum and a maximum load and have less range from low to high.
Old October 30, 2019, 13:48   #8
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
And, of course, you're shooting in the dark with all this until you get a chronograph...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 01, 2019, 12:13   #9
Eeben
Registered

This is closer to what I'm looking for. Thank you. I always chrono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Old November 01, 2019, 13:08   #10
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
This is closer to what I'm looking for. Thank you. I always chrono.
There is another on web site,,,,that normal people put in their recipes for say,,,9mm,,,in all bullet weights,,,and then list out all powders used,,,for all known calibers,,bullet weights,,powders,,results etc.

Got it somewhere in my computer,,,will post it when I find it for you.

Been a long time since I was reloading in volume,,,,as in,,,,,still working through the prior 25,000 put up,,,and ain;t made a dent in that pile,,,and still got tons of factory all over the place.

At some point,,,one really does have enough put away.

Old November 01, 2019, 15:55   #11
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I use Quickload

https://www.neconos.com/details3.htm

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 10:36   #12
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Been a long time since I was reloading in volume,,,,as in,,,,,still working through the prior 25,000 put up,,,and ain;t made a dent in that pile,,,and still got tons of factory all over the place.

At some point,,,one really does have enough put away.
You have to be kidding? I assume if/when I finally fully retire my ammo consumption will go up and income go down so still doing all I can to increase inventory of loaded ammo and components. Even though I much prefer 6.8 and 22 Nosler for ARs discovered the extra 30% powder capacity has pushed me back to doing majority of training with 5.56 as an extra 30% powder over a 200 to 500 round range day is real money.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 13:26   #13
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
You have to be kidding? I assume if/when I finally fully retire my ammo consumption will go up and income go down so still doing all I can to increase inventory of loaded ammo and components. Even though I much prefer 6.8 and 22 Nosler for ARs discovered the extra 30% powder capacity has pushed me back to doing majority of training with 5.56 as an extra 30% powder over a 200 to 500 round range day is real money.
I found out quickly,,,the demands on my time went up when I retired by ten fold.

I spent my life shooting,,,a lot,,,,and now,,,ok,,go to range,,,make a gaping four inch hole center mass in a 25 yard target with my carry hand guns,,,then work an AR from 25 out to 350 yds,,two rounds on each whatever,,,then work the bolt gun out to 750 yds,,,pack up and go home.

When I teach non shooters how to shoot,,,might empty my EDC mag,,might not,,over three or four hours on range.

My shooting today,,,consists of maintaining the ability to hit whatever I'm aiming to shoot/kill,,,which of late,,,rattle snakes,,,rabid yotes,,or whatever drags its ass onto the property,,that does not belong here that can harm the wife or hounds.

I get asked/called upon to put down horses rather often,,so get my practice in on a live target that is moving about and looking back at me with eye balls.
Vets charge anywhere from 150 to 300 to put down a horse,,,a 124 grain JHP out of a 357 Sig Glock,,,does the same thing,,faster.
Back horse up to deep hole,,one round,,they normally fall/lurch back into hole,,backhoe covers up remains.

Shooting,,is quickly just becoming a skill,,,that I simply maintain,,,like sawing a straight line on a board,,hammering a nail,,etc.

Old November 03, 2019, 13:14   #14
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
[QUOTE=yellowhand;4802866]Back horse up to deep hole,,one round,,they normally fall/lurch back into hole,,backhoe covers up remains.[QUOTE]

Note to self:”Do not back up to hole with backhoe idling nearby”.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 03, 2019, 13:54   #15
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

[QUOTE=Timber Wolf;4803234][QUOTE=yellowhand;4802866]Back horse up to deep hole,,one round,,they normally fall/lurch back into hole,,backhoe covers up remains.
Quote:

Note to self:”Do not back up to hole with backhoe idling nearby”.
Cryin wimmen and children,,,and 20 foot cattle chains,,,are also good indications to avoid the area.

Old November 03, 2019, 18:03   #16
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Quote:

Shooting,,is quickly just becoming a skill,,,that I simply maintain,,,like sawing a straight line on a board,,hammering a nail,,etc.
Sort of like running a dremel. Except that I make no claim of proficiency. Not that it stops me though.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 03, 2019, 18:20   #17
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Sort of like running a dremel. Except that I make no claim of proficiency. Not that it stops me though.
20 or 30 round magazines,,,if at first you don't succeed,,try and try again!

Old November 08, 2019, 10:59   #18
Eeben
Registered

Yellowhand you should try a run and gun competition, good way to spice up your shooting if it's gotten monotonous.
Old November 08, 2019, 11:32   #19
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Yellowhand you should try a run and gun competition, good way to spice up your shooting if it's gotten monotonous.
Jumped out of perfectly good airplanes for a living for a very long time,,,ran 5/6 miles a day in combat boots,that was really stupid back then,,,got a little old,,,just a little,,and the knees just flat wore out.

I've shot three gun,,really enjoyed the practical matches,,,but again,,,one needs a good suspension system for all of it.

Today,,,my main threats to work on dealing with,,,,having to engage targets in a crowded small confined space,,and around the homestead.

So thats what I work on.

Old November 08, 2019, 11:35   #20
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
As we age run and gun becomes trot and shoot then limp and shoot carefully so we don't break a hip. ;-) My wife practices using her cane and walker as a support and brace plus practices from her wheelchair. She is only in wheelchair now about one in ten days but still practices using it.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old November 08, 2019, 13:08   #21
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
As we age run and gun becomes trot and shoot then limp and shoot carefully so we don't break a hip. ;-) My wife practices using her cane and walker as a support and brace plus practices from her wheelchair. She is only in wheelchair now about one in ten days but still practices using it.
Anything ever breaks out here,,,I'm definitely going to be limited to training command and camp security.

Running and gunning is for young people,,,,old people just stand "kinda" still and kill people as they present themselves.

And,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,o ld wimmen and even some young wimmen,,,stay close to camp.

Priorities always.

Old November 08, 2019, 15:04   #22
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

My shooting these days is mainly prone precision and the most difficult part is not going to sleep in that position on a nice sunny day in the middle of a target shot. Getting old beats most of the alternatives.
RVN 67-68
Old November 08, 2019, 15:54   #23
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
My shooting these days is mainly prone precision and the most difficult part is not going to sleep in that position on a nice sunny day in the middle of a target shot. Getting old beats most of the alternatives.
Fall asleep after taking slack out of first stage of a two stage trigger then suddenly have rifle roar interrupting your nap in the sun when finger twitched a tad. I can see it now. Getting closer every day myself. Why I have a preponderance of turn bolts that can engage zombies before they can even see the Ponderosa. Kill them before any running and gunning is necessary. Oh, and turn up the volume on perimeter alarms so wake up my sleeping old @$$.
Old November 08, 2019, 20:06   #24
Eeben
Registered

I had a 70 year old who had a hip replacement a few months prior do one of my events. It's never too late.
Old November 09, 2019, 07:40   #25
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
I had a 70 year old who had a hip replacement a few months prior do one of my events. It's never too late.
Friend of mine competed in Vintage Sniper at Camp Perry when he was over 90. I like to think I might be able to do similar.
RVN 67-68