The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 06, 2019, 06:52   #1
open ear shooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 48793
any Ranchers or regular hicks out there who know land prices ?

was looking at entertaining the thought of buying some land in Texas and started seeing some of the cost's of property 2000 arces and over can anyone out there
confirm if these prices below are reality or just over priced dreamers ?

regards lee

https://texas.primeranchland.com/i/ranches-for-sale
open ear shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 07:26   #2
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Land prices are going to vary across the country. You are going to have to do some research on past sales in the local area that you are looking to buy and make your own judgement. Maybe talk to a few different rear estate people in thta area.
Old November 06, 2019, 08:33   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
They look over priced, but if you are anywhere close to a city like Austin or San Antonio 10K per acre is realistic. If you go out west it's better and up towards NM. If you compare some of the smaller ones are price about 1.5M for 200 acres. 1..5M gets you a regular house in Kali

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 10:09   #4
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
Those are accurate pricing for Central Texas real estate.
mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 10:52   #5
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Probably the area with the most reasonable priced property is in the northeast part of the state. East of DFW and North of I10.

Guess it depends on what you are looking for....if you want cheap land southwest TX is your area, kind of dry and rocky. The NE part has land that is
appealing to many people with less population, trees, hills, streams and such. Down in my neck of the woods, its all flat, it rains a bunch and the skeeters are
the most abundant. But the area has good paying jobs in the oil refining/chemical industry. So its kind of like pick what you like and live with the things you don't like.
Old November 06, 2019, 10:56   #6
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
Quote:
Originally Posted by open ear shooter View Post
was looking at entertaining the thought of buying some land in Texas and started seeing some of the cost's of property 2000 arces and over can anyone out there
confirm if these prices below are reality or just over priced dreamers ?

regards lee

https://texas.primeranchland.com/i/ranches-for-sale
I'm a Texas native, and a Realtor for over a decade now. Pricing varies wildly depending on where it is, amenities, etc. - and those places are priced roughly at market.
You can email me via FAL Files is you want to chat.

Eli
AliYahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 10:56   #7
okiefarmer
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 3248
Cheapest prices for raw land in the country have always been and still are in Oklahoma. If all you want land to live on, away from the cities, $1500 an acre will buy you land all day long, sometimes minerals included.
Old November 06, 2019, 11:16   #8
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiefarmer View Post
Cheapest prices for raw land in the country have always been and still are in Oklahoma. If all you want land to live on, away from the cities, $1500 an acre will buy you land all day long, sometimes minerals included.
Yep in south MS that's close to the going price.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 11:56   #9
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Anything that would be deemed "desirable" within 2 hours of any of the major cities here in the state is going to be at least that. Goes up still if utilities are relatively available, and access (i.e. good paved road access) add more to the price still. The Hill Country (think 100-150 miles west, north, and east of San Antonio) is probably some of the most desirable land around, and the prices have jumped quite a bit in recent years.

Damned foreigners (read "anyone not from Texas) keep coming here and running the prices up!
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 13:28   #10
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
When my son sold his water farm he became a property estimator for banks and county tax authorities,,, he said estate sales are the best way to buy.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 15:13   #11
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
I have a feeling that you dont know any " ranchers or regular hicks" because very few of us have knowledge about 35 million dollar properties.

I am originally from Parker County Texas, and have spent years in Austin area. Many family members still there, but there is no way I will live there ever again sadly. It's fallen. Prices are nuts, laws are going south, border is too porous to sustain a solid economy in the coming generations. Besides, there are just too darn many people.
You can stand anywhere in Texas and look off in the distance and find a hill. Hike there, climb to highest spot, farthest from any dirt road or path, hidden from the world and pick up a rock. On the bottom of it will say "owned by so and so"
Texas has been bought.

Like many Texans who were in the ranching/cattle trade we sold our land to yuppies, and headed to where the land is cheap and we can actually raise cattle/pigs/goats without the government leaning on us, or the million dollar land prices and the type of people who come with said prices.
Old November 06, 2019, 18:28   #12
Gary Harwell
Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39460
sre-inc.com

sandersonsonrealestateinc.com
Can't go wrong. Elk have invaded the area also. He sells everything listed within a few weeks ,sometimes a month or two. Lost out on a prime place waiting too long, waiting for the next.
Gary Harwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 06:04   #13
open ear shooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

well im confused totally, admittedly im just a simple hick from New Zealand but I can't see how some can be asking almost 7 Million USD for 280 Arces of what looks like baron waste land covered in Billy Goat scrub ! might start looking else where Mexico or Brazil perhaps the thing is im wanting green pasture farmland in a gun friendly environment and thought id get both in Texas at reasonable prices not bill gates prices

I guess Texas Long Horn can survive in those harsh West Texas areas but im only familiar with Herefords and Angus in green pastures (ideal conditions I guess) must take a person with a strong constitution to Farm out West
Old November 07, 2019, 06:09   #14
open ear shooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

thanks for your guys in put im really just dipping my big toe in the water so to speak, quite disheartening once reality sinks in I had envisioned buying 10 to 20 thousand acres of moderate Texas Farmland for a few Million at the most
Old November 07, 2019, 11:23   #15
koathmann
Registered

FALaholic #: 19003
You will have to get away from the cities and a big place to get $2000 an acre. 850 acers in Llano just brought $5000 an acre and the new owner is dividing it up for resale,Western hill country 300 plus acres will run $3000 smaller and river go up fast. sad to see so much land taken out of production. We run cattle chi ,simi main crossed with angus some of the better native land and improved pasture will run a cow calf pair to 10 or 20 acres and the stock rate goes up from there. The real estate whores have driven the price to the point were agriculture could never pay for land.

Last edited by koathmann; November 07, 2019 at 11:32.
koathmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 12:51   #16
7.62FMJ
Registered

FALaholic #: 2274
Check out this website, has listings by region, state, with houses, without.

https://www.landwatch.com/
7.62FMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 13:23   #17
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by koathmann View Post
You will have to get away from the cities and a big place to get $2000 an acre. 850 acers in Llano just brought $5000 an acre and the new owner is dividing it up for resale,Western hill country 300 plus acres will run $3000 smaller and river go up fast. sad to see so much land taken out of production. We run cattle chi ,simi main crossed with angus some of the better native land and improved pasture will run a cow calf pair to 10 or 20 acres and the stock rate goes up from there. The real estate whores have driven the price to the point were agriculture could never pay for land.
Real estate whores, out-of-staters with cash, and greedy descendants. I offered a guy near Nacogdoches $3,500/acre for a logged-off 11 acre mess next to my inlaws and he told he wouldn't take less than $5,000/acre cash.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 12:33   #18
rkad
Registered

FALaholic #: 12347
I'm not a cattleman but I do know that pastureland in the northern plains goes for $800 or so in parts of Montana (fairly dry) to over $2500 in central and eastern North Dakota or South Dakota (greener, better moisture and soil). Ranchers here have cow calf operations and Angus and Hereford are the main breeds. Weather is extremely variable from year to year, one year hot and dry lots of days over 35C, the next year cooler with good moisture. Also the ground is frozen for 5 months and cows still need to fed even if it is -30C.
Old November 08, 2019, 19:18   #19
Shoots High
previously "powderhead"

FALaholic #: 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkad View Post
I'm not a cattleman but I do know that pastureland in the northern plains goes for $800 or so in parts of Montana (fairly dry) to over $2500 in central and eastern North Dakota or South Dakota (greener, better moisture and soil). Ranchers here have cow calf operations and Angus and Hereford are the main breeds. Weather is extremely variable from year to year, one year hot and dry lots of days over 35C, the next year cooler with good moisture. Also the ground is frozen for 5 months and cows still need to fed even if it is -30C.
What's this 35C -30C BS. Are you a Merican or not?
Shoots High is offline   Reply With Quote