The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > The Sharper Side

Notices

Old September 19, 2019, 15:43   #1
Snake Bitten
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13425
Arrow Himalayan Imports khukuri's

I've been thinking of selling my collection of Himalayan Imports khukuri's. Most were purchased before Uncle Bill passed away. Would like to sell as a collection. Anyone think this is feasible? Or per knife? All comments appreciated!

Guns have two enemies: Rust and Politicians
Snake Bitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2019, 07:14   #2
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
No knife expert here...as such, have no idea of the rarity or collector value ?
Actually, have no idea of what they look like but just by the name, they sound interesting, so pics may help ?
G.
Grahamneall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2019, 20:51   #3
D. Short
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 6894
Himalayan Imports Kukri

S.B.,
Love those blades, such great quality compared to most of the other imports. Depending on how many knives you have, it may be feasible to sell as a collection. If you have quite a few....I know it's more of a hassle, but selling individually will get you the most money. Just my 2 cents. Would love to have the opportunity to own another one of these beauties, please let me know what you intend to do. Good luck!!
D. Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2019, 20:56   #4
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Keep saying that I am going to get one. Guess what? I still have not.
Old September 27, 2019, 18:05   #5
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
Keep saying that I am going to get one. Guess what? I still have not.
me too, always wanted one but never wanted to take the chance on getting taken.
I like this one more than the others but they are all way cool
https://www.khukurihouseonline.com/r...le-kukri-black

If you do decide to sell I would be interested in 1 or2.
How many are in the collection?

Anonymous
The FAL is not a "platform".
It is a lady-lookin' foreign made collection of sexy Belgian curves that intimidates the shit out of today's Pajama-boy males.

It's not an Assault Rifle, it a Sport Utility Rifle
Near Sighted Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2019, 19:24   #6
hairygreek
Registered

FALaholic #: 71529
I got some from Khukuri House a few years ago... shipping straight from Nepal is pretty bad so did a group purchase.

How many knives do you have, what models are they?...
Old September 28, 2019, 13:22   #7
Motega
Registered

FALaholic #: 62681
Selling kukris - my research and experience

I scoured Ebay recently to see if my Kukri House kukri was worth the hassle and it really doesn't seem to be.

The high water mark on a single item is about $100, and that would probably be someone making an impulse purchase.

The problem is that brand new a genuine Himalayan one is not expensive
Mine was made about a year before the major earthquake they had years ago. Its probably made from an old Jeep spring and it has the traditional sheath and twin utility knives.

Further complicating matters is the fact that there are a bunch of mainstream manufacturers that sell them and for whatever reason the prices on kukris are extremely low. Kukri House always sold their stuff for cheap, I guess that one American dollar goes a long way there so they seemed to opt for volume sales over offering high end labor intensive pieces that someone would spend hours polishing.

So you are facing both cheap domestic products and low prices on imported ones. By cheap I don't mean low quality, just inexpensive.

Plus they are going to be a PITA to ship, they are large and heavy.

Kukri House set a low bar, they were/are making quality tools at prices that are hard to beat. Unlike a knife that you would need manpower for grinding, polishing, and properly sharpening, the Kukris are sent out with functional edges that probably take 10 minutes to achieve.

Bottom line, I don't think they are worth selling online because there are dozens of options under $50 shipped. Figuring in anything like Ebay costs and shipping costs (which Amazon does for free) makes selling them a waste of time IMO.

To give you a quick idea of how underpriced kukris are, this is the one I bought from Kukri House, about 18" with both utility knives and sheath plus all the cool inserts they give you on history, who made your piece, lifetime warranty and it was like $55-65 to my door.

To the other member afraid of getting ripped off, they are totally legit and take tremendous pride in their work.

Last edited by Motega; September 28, 2019 at 13:48.
Motega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2019, 15:13   #8
Snake Bitten
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13425
Here's a pic of my collection. I probably would never sell the top knife w/red sheath, only a few were made, special edition, super nice, made by one of Nepalese best Kami's, when Bill Martino was still alive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190928_150608.jpg (122.6 KB, 47 views)

Guns have two enemies: Rust and Politicians

Last edited by Snake Bitten; September 28, 2019 at 15:54.
Snake Bitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2019, 15:22   #9
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Oooohhh! I like that. Nice collection.
Old September 28, 2019, 15:35   #10
hairygreek
Registered

Your pic wasn't coming up... nice blade always wanted a sirupate but never ordered.

Kukri House circa 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motega View Post
like $55-65 to my door.
The prices have gone up a lot since then. I recall getting a National Symbols knife around that price in 2008-9. Now it's around $50-70 to ship and the knives cost 30-50% more from back then. Seems like now they put more emphasis on custom orders though.

Got these my last order. One to wear and one to look nice.

100-9386
100-9398
Old September 28, 2019, 15:38   #11
hairygreek
Registered

BTW I wonder if anyone uses the chakmak and karda, I'm always more afraid of losing them than anything else.
Old September 28, 2019, 15:45   #12
Motega
Registered

FALaholic #: 62681
Facebook and knife forums probably best way to sell these kukris

First of all, I want to broadcast this to everyone but I will post it here now- this is a web site with an even better app that is everything you could ever want to know about steels.

http://zknives.com/index.shtml

My suggestion is to get the APP FIRST so you understand how to use the site.

The person that runs it is one of the nicest guys I know, you do not get advertised to or bugged for money, this app is so well done it deserves an award.

ANYONE that is into knives, guns, or steel for any reason needs this app immediately.

I think the kukris are usually 52100 steel, similar to 5160 but better edge retention.

The major thing with these kukris is the heat treat and I imagine you have some guys that are experts and some that have no idea what they are doing and it comes down to luck of the draw. At least with Kukri House you can rely on some traditional knowledge to have a shot at a decent heat treat which is the most important factor with blades coming out of these kinds of operations.

It's not like you have enough to open a stall at a flea market, try snooping around some Facebook pages or check out both "Bladeforums" and "Usual Suspects" message boards and go for a sale there. Ebay will just create a nightmare for you with this kind of item, you have a high degree of probability into running into some moron or kid that is going to be nothing but headaches.

All said, it's ballpark $1000 worth of stuff on a good day so don't sweat it. Keep the ones you like the most and offer up the other ones on either Facebook groups or one of the forums and see what you can get.

Unfortunately, the kukri is beyond question the most undervalued blade out there for the reasons I gave you above. Realistically, they don't have much practical value, and the don't have the allure of something like a katana.

Don't get me wrong, they are excellent tools, it's just not a part of Western culture the same way even a machete is.

Good luck.
Motega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2019, 21:23   #13
Gravelface1
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 76927
Finding someone to buy a collection is a niche market. Most in that business already have most of what you have. Piece mealing them out is best best for quickest and most profitable method.

If you have a “bone cutter” style blade, I’d be interested.