The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old February 04, 2019, 22:25   #1
adam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 11334
What bullets for a Colt Walker?

The wife surprised me with an ASM Walker for Christmas and I've had a lot of fun learning the history of the thing. Funny, she didn't know any better, but she got me the biggest baddest vintage hand cannon out there. I'm thrilled.

But as to ammo, I'm a little less clear. So folks say round ball works pretty well, and that's cheap enough to buy in quantity. The original projectiles were very shaped though, and I certainly have the cutout to accept shaped projectiles. I also have a lot of lead. Enough to cast a lifetime supply of fodder for a BP revolver.

So the question is, what seems to work best in those old things? What shape, what weight, and to a lesser degree, what charge? I don't expect to burn 60 grains of powder in a 9 inch barrel so I doubt I'll load anything close to that.

What kind of bullet mold should I buy?

Thanks!
Old February 05, 2019, 04:34   #2
spider991
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 35820
adam

i just use lead ball .457s, the press in with a nice little ring left over. be prepared for you loading lever to drop after every shot, pain in the arse...i use one of the super small rubber bands like a hair tie band my wife has, to keep it from dropping. And yes, the walker gets attention at the range. PLEASE use real holy black like goex or one of the good ones...As Captain Walker 's ghost cries every time you shoot the fake stuff like pyrodex or the like! very fun gun to shoot.
spider991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 17:36   #3
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
The conical nosed bullets were considered superior to the round ball bullets because they supposedly gave better penetration.

But the round ball was a lot easier to load compared to the conical nose because it didn't have to be carefully squared up like the conical nose did.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 19:37   #4
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
The conical bullet mound I have makes a heeled type bullet that is roughly the same diameter as the cylinder so it is self centering, more or less. Up from that short heel the bullet diameter is larger to provide a good seal. Reguardless use a good black powder grease. For the loading lever consider an appropriate sized O ring to keep it in place.
Good place to startó-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FxGHkbFm9zM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk603K7RjyY

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 23:51   #5
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam762 View Post
But as to ammo, I'm a little less clear. So folks say round ball works pretty well, and that's cheap enough to buy in quantity. The original projectiles were very shaped though, and I certainly have the cutout to accept shaped projectiles. I also have a lot of lead. Enough to cast a lifetime supply of fodder for a BP revolver.
If you have quantities of soft, fairly pure lead set it aside for this gun.

If you choose to shoot harder alloy bullets, build a press to load the cylinder dismounted from the gun. The pistol can handle -firing- the bullets but the loading lever isn't really built for trying to seat hard lead.
Old February 06, 2019, 16:28   #6
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Your revolver should come with instructions that tell you what diameter bullets and what powder charges to use. If it didn't, I'd call the distributor and ask for same. Lyman sells a decent basic Black Powder Guide, as do some others. Lyman's reloading manuals typically have a chapter on black powder shooting, as well.

One of these sources is where I'd start, not on YouTube.
Old February 06, 2019, 21:51   #7
spider991
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 35820
http://www.curtrich.com/bpsubsdummies.html

not a bad place to start
spider991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 05:13   #8
adam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 11334
I will use commercial FFF black powder and planned on tying the loading lever up with a leather strap for Ďauthenticityí. I have a bucket of wheel weights and a very large (50 lbs or so) ingot of an unknown alloy and hardness. I get wheel weights from a local shop. I donít want to get into casting modern high performance handgun bullets but black powder and buckshot arenít too particular. Iíd like to use heavier conical I guess but seating them straight was on my mind. If round ball seals well and flies straight I guess that will be fine.