The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > FALaholics Anonymous > FAL Groups > Oregon

Notices

Old December 02, 2018, 12:31   #1
snowhawk jockey
Registered

FALaholic #: 14239
The nuts are getting frosty...

While the mtns have gotten a bit of coverage, over the last month, the desert has been deserted. Finally got a pinch of snow, at lower elevation, to go with the sub freezing temps. Many nights were in the low teens, but it had been really dry, to the point of not having much frost on the windshield. Last couple days we got a few mm of dusty precip to make it at least look like its supposed to be cold and the scraper had to go to work.

Pellet stove knocks back the chill pretty easily, only have to run it at half for a couple hours on start up, then can turn it down to a third, for the rest of the night. If I dont run the pellet stove, central heat runs half the time. Dont wanna see that elec bill!

The ski hill got to open on Friday. Might have to venture up and see if it is worth riding lifts, next weekend.

I am itching to go shoot...
Old December 02, 2018, 13:27   #2
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Are we doing a NozenFrutts Shoot ?

Hmmm ?

Are we are we ?

tdb59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2018, 17:37   #3
snowhawk jockey
Registered

Yanno thassa what Ima hinting at...
Old December 10, 2018, 23:29   #4
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
Old news. Dates already been set.
If I knew when it was, I might be there.

Old December 10, 2018, 23:46   #5
nickmil
Registered

FALaholic #: 77041
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post

This. Hard to show for something you don't know when and where it is...
nickmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2018, 13:10   #6
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Shoots first weekend in February....dress warm.

We'll have a big fire at the North range...be camping there too.

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2018, 13:13   #7
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post

I thought you knew?

Your probably just pulling my lariet..

Old December 11, 2018, 13:28   #8
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I thought you knew?

Your probably just pulling my lariet..
I missed that memo from the ( ahem ) committee.

I may be moving in to the new house that weekend, though.

Or not.

Old December 11, 2018, 13:43   #9
meltblown
Registered

FALaholic #: 34604
Why did I think this about the Portland antifux?

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2018, 13:57   #10
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Why did I think this about the Portland antifux?
Ummm No.

Antifrogs have to stay close to their soy lattes.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423476
Old December 11, 2018, 17:10   #11
otis61
Registered

FALaholic #: 26667
I'm going!!!
Old December 11, 2018, 23:27   #12
snowhawk jockey
Registered

Glad I could shake something loose in this thread. First weekend Feb, noted. Guess that means I be bushwacking on my lonesome, the next couple months. Best I put by some reloads that will cycle an action, meantime...
Old December 14, 2018, 00:39   #13
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Best I put by some reloads that will cycle an action, meantime...
A couple cigars would probably help too....

Old December 15, 2018, 16:48   #14
nickmil
Registered

I'm gonna try and make this but won't know until it gets closer.
nickmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019, 11:41   #15
snowhawk jockey
Registered

Was out sharpening my old sticks, with some fellas, yesterday. Been too long and had to blow the dust off the irons... got some good work done in tshirts and warm sun. The fellas and their benched scopes didnt take to kindly to my funny hold and antics, though. They were busy proving a couple few inches, on paper and I had the 12" plate ringing 4/5, the 10" 3/5, standing offhand, at 100yds. It be time to hang the 6, to try and cut down on some of them ammo wasting wobbles.

Helped sort out a new scout rifle setup, VV crustfire2 over an MVP. It was his first manually operated centerfire and did pretty good! I like the forward mounted 2x crosshair, more than I expected and am contemplating a similar getup for the Ar10.

We finished with stogies and I left them to scattering clays. A beautiful day out of the fog that covered most of the region.

Loaded up another box of 155grOTM, last nite and plan to confirm the results today. A few on paper, to make sure it looks the same as ever, the rest on steel.
Tempted to head out to camp, so I can lay down and look at 200+ yds. The short work doesnt have nearly the same pressure, if you get my drift.

First weekend of Feb is rightaround the corner! I got the cigars right next to the ammo cans...

Quote:
A couple cigars would probably help too....
Old January 22, 2019, 13:39   #16
otis61
Registered

Couple weeks.
Old January 22, 2019, 14:42   #17
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
I'm staying one night. Showing up Friday mid-afternoon. Planning on hanging out and cooking/eating/camping Friday, and shooting Saturday. Prolly gone by Saturday @ 3:30pm.

That's the bad news. Good news is that I'm bringing Jonathan, Greg, and my brother Paul. Pretty stoked!
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2019, 17:06   #18
otis61
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
I'm staying one night. Showing up Friday mid-afternoon. Planning on hanging out and cooking/eating/camping Friday, and shooting Saturday. Prolly gone by Saturday @ 3:30pm.

That's the bad news. Good news is that I'm bringing Jonathan, Greg, and my brother Paul. Pretty stoked!
Awesome. It'll be good to see those guys again. Did I meet Paul before at an Oregon Shoot?
Old January 23, 2019, 19:41   #19
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

I think you've met my brother Greg at previous shoots. Also my BIL, Josh. I don't think Paul has ever been around before. I think he's either been in Germany or Bulgaria or Afghanistan for the past six or eight years.

He's getting out - with 10 in and 10 to go. Ranked in the top 1% of infantry captains multiple times, and in the top 10% all the time by his senior raters. Promotable to Major. Has a basic premise about the Army:

1. 1st Lieutenants and below are trying to stay alive.

2. Majors and above are liars and politicians.

3. Can't stay a Captain forever...

He just doesn't want to do the flag officer/politics thing in a mostly-broken and/or dishonest structure. Paperwork complete. "Separation Classes" attended. He's wearing jeans, not shaving, and no-showing formation because the Colonel doesn't care and doesn't want to see him. Despite this, he's got to stick until 27 March.

But I've got him out here for a couple of days, and I did it to coincide with the FYNO Shoot. He's stoked to meet people and hang out.

Jonathan is huge. Also Greg (dad) looks good. Everybody is stoked to see everyone.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago

Last edited by brunop; January 23, 2019 at 19:55.
Old January 23, 2019, 20:07   #20
otis61
Registered

Cool. I thought when you mentioned Greg coming that you were talking about you're Dad. Although in hind sight it would be weird that you call your dad by his first name.

Anyway I'm getting excited too.
Old January 23, 2019, 23:45   #21
snowhawk jockey
Registered

Was talking with Olli about heading out on Friday nite, since we can sleep in the van and not suffer our low tech sleeping gear, too much. He is stoked to make some hits with the scope again. He really was impressed with himself, last year when he could connect at 300 yds. The lever gun is fun and all, but the longer stuff has gotten his attention.
Old January 24, 2019, 00:16   #22
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

I'll be there Friday am. Kevin couldn't get out of work.

Old January 24, 2019, 00:28   #23
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Wut?!?!

Kevin should tell those guys that: a) they're lucky to have him, and b) when it's time to shoot, he needs Friday off.

Ask him if he wants me to call his boss.
Old January 24, 2019, 01:11   #24
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Quote:
I think you've met my brother Greg at previous shoots. Also my BIL, Josh. I don't think Paul has ever been around before. I think he's either been in Germany or Bulgaria or Afghanistan for the past six or eight years.

He's getting out - with 10 in and 10 to go. Ranked in the top 1% of infantry captains multiple times, and in the top 10% all the time by his senior raters. Promotable to Major. Has a basic premise about the Army:

He just doesn't want to do the flag officer/politics thing in a mostly-broken and/or dishonest structure. Paperwork complete. "Separation Classes" attended. He's wearing jeans, not shaving, and no-showing formation because the Colonel doesn't care and doesn't want to see him. Despite this, he's got to stick until 27 March.

But I've got him out here for a couple of days, and I did it to coincide with the FYNO Shoot. He's stoked to meet people and hang out.

Jonathan is huge. Also Greg (dad) looks good. Everybody is stoked to see everyone.
Tell him Thanks, and he should have been an NCO to
avoid all that crap.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2019, 01:45   #25
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

I hear you loud and clear.

I'm hoping he's going to be able to make the WA spring shoot, too.

Still working on that one.
Old January 24, 2019, 08:30   #26
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Wut?!?!

Kevin should tell those guys that: a) they're lucky to have him, and b) when it's time to shoot, he needs Friday off.

Ask him if he wants me to call his boss.
: I'll ask him!

Old January 24, 2019, 17:14   #27
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
copywrite infringement bitches. mason dixon has the original frozen nuts shoot.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2019, 19:22   #28
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
Show us pics of your fantastic match.

Oh......

.....and bite me.

Old January 24, 2019, 20:42   #29
Tailback
Registered

FALaholic #: 26070
Talking

Quote:

Edit after seeing Tuscan's post. He can probably take a bust to E-7 in the Guard, and by the time he gets his 20 year letter be a SGM. OK back to the original message. Just sayin' has he thought about National Guard? It'd be a shame to let 10 years go like that. I can't blame him though, I was ready to hang it up at 14. The wife talked me into staying. My all expense paid trip to Kuwait and a lot of desert camo stuff was the result. I did put in my retirement request the exact same evening my 20 year letter came through. If I live to be 60 I'll be in great shape financially though. If I don't live till 60 my wife's new boyfriend will be in great shape financially.

Anyway, y'all have fun.

PS has Jonathan run into those soccer guys that were picking on him when he was around 12 or so? If so...I'd like to hear about it.

Last edited by Tailback; January 24, 2019 at 20:48.
Tailback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2019, 14:40   #30
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
Yeah, we know about the five-man shoot. That's why we call ours the Freeze Your Nuts Off instead of the Frozen Nuts shoot. Because while you can copywrite words, different words aren't also protected by your copywrite filing.

I should take this opportunity to tell you that your copywrite protection of Frozen Nuts does not allow you to claim royalties from or ownership of, say, the Harry Potter series - which assuredly have the words "frozen" and "nuts" in them.

Sorry to be such a downer...
Old January 25, 2019, 16:44   #31
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, we know about the five-man shoot. That's why we call ours the Freeze Your Nuts Off instead of the Frozen Nuts shoot. Because while you can copywrite words, different words aren't also protected by your copywrite filing.

I should take this opportunity to tell you that your copywrite protection of Frozen Nuts does not allow you to claim royalties from or ownership of, say, the Harry Potter series - which assuredly have the words "frozen" and "nuts" in them.

Sorry to be such a downer...
Man, you're kind of a gloomy gus today...

Old January 25, 2019, 20:09   #32
otis61
Registered

Quote:
Man, you're kind of a gloomy gus today...
This place is awesome!!!
Old January 26, 2019, 17:38   #33
snowhawk jockey
Registered

Itll be lunch time at the North range, come next Saturday! Where frosty nuts thaw...

Them >edit< nonPNWestern >edit< boys that think just cause there were a campfire and they pissed on it, they gots a patent on peters. Sorry to tell ya boys, posession is 9/10ths o the law. So better book a trip out, next time yer thinking of roasting frosted nuts, over the open fire! Dont forget a rifle...

Reset the loading bench today, cause it was a little rickety. Its still little, but now more stable. I had pulled too many stubby pistol cases on it, back in the day and now realize that a full length die is too much for the bench to suffer. It got its day in the sunshine, so no longer split out at the legs and the press doesnt wobble, either!

Last edited by snowhawk jockey; January 27, 2019 at 14:15. Reason: more inclusive geo-referencing
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2019, 17:44   #34
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Hey SH,

Is there snow at the shoot spot?

Old January 26, 2019, 18:04   #35
snowhawk jockey
Registered

I will drive out tomorrow and check. There has been snow on and off, but we just had a big wind blow through that melted the snow and brought some warm with it. Tshirt warm, after lunch, yesterday and today. Cools right back off, so it is frosty cold early and at night, but midday is nice.
Old January 26, 2019, 22:37   #36
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I will drive out tomorrow and check. There has been snow on and off, but we just had a big wind blow through that melted the snow and brought some warm with it. Tshirt warm, after lunch, yesterday and today. Cools right back off, so it is frosty cold early and at night, but midday is nice.
Don't sweat it, was just curious.

Old January 26, 2019, 22:45   #37
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Hey, are you shooting Friday afternoon and Saturday, or just Saturday? I've got a work meeting at 0900 Friday, so I don't think we can make it til between 2PM and 4PM.

Also, are we shooting longer range stuff, or are we playing "Hold My Beer and Watch This" like normal?

I can't remember too good anymore.
Old January 26, 2019, 23:16   #38
snowhawk jockey
Registered

I am shooting Sat only as I have work til 5 on Fri. I would be working out a fresh 2 iron, but my long range gear is still in the shop. That means limited to 300ydsish, with glass over lite bullets and no dope past 200. Irons for the usual beer holding!!

Quote:
Don't sweat it, was just curious.
I want to get my 200yd zeros confirmed, so, yeah, sweat is a side effect...
Old January 27, 2019, 01:33   #39
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

I'm bringing one longer-ish rifle. Prolly bring an FAL and an AR, too.

I wanna shoot handguns at far away things, too, so 'yes' to iron sights for "Hold My Beer".
Old January 27, 2019, 03:05   #40
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Hey, are you shooting Friday afternoon and Saturday, or just Saturday? I've got a work meeting at 0900 Friday, so I don't think we can make it til between 2PM and 4PM.

Also, are we shooting longer range stuff, or are we playing "Hold My Beer and Watch This" like normal?

I can't remember too good anymore.
Don't know who you're asking, but.....

Since I'm coming stag I plan to be set-up and blasting by 11am. Thinking mostly rim fire and handgun.

Old January 27, 2019, 13:45   #41
snowhawk jockey
Registered

Was wishful thinking to do a pre-shoot camp inspection. Chores and homework are sucking up the time. Gonna have to trust the short range zeros.

Long range handgun is gonna be fun! Brunop are you bringing any steel? Maybe a fullsize silhouette for that pistol work?

Edit to add a little homework reading for the glock equipped: https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/g...istol-shooting

The 300, 500 and 700 yd holds were pretty easy to understand, for area work. Being a long range archer, lobbing them in at 100yds is a matter of pointing it nearly straight up and learning how they fly and fall in the wind. Kinda like using the sling to lob rocks.

Last edited by snowhawk jockey; January 27, 2019 at 14:09.
Old January 27, 2019, 15:19   #42
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, you.

If you're shooting Friday, too, I'm gonna see how close to 2PM we can make it so we can shoot both days.
Old January 27, 2019, 15:21   #43
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Was wishful thinking to do a pre-shoot camp inspection. Chores and homework are sucking up the time. Gonna have to trust the short range zeros.

Long range handgun is gonna be fun! Brunop are you bringing any steel? Maybe a fullsize silhouette for that pistol work?

Edit to add a little homework reading for the glock equipped: https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/g...istol-shooting

The 300, 500 and 700 yd holds were pretty easy to understand, for area work. Being a long range archer, lobbing them in at 100yds is a matter of pointing it nearly straight up and learning how they fly and fall in the wind. Kinda like using the sling to lob rocks.
I was thinking we needed at least a couple of silhouettes. I might be able to wrangle three or four.

Probably not bringing lots of steel. Just enough for more than one target and more than one shooter if we want to do different stuff.
Old January 27, 2019, 16:24   #44
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

I'll be bringing a couple ar's as well. Built one for brother for Christmas, need to zero it. Also want to zero another. I plan to cobble up some paper target stands, and bring a couple plates. Sharpened up the chainsaw so we can have a big fire.
Trying to go light...

Old January 27, 2019, 18:49   #45
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I'm hoping he's going to be able to make the WA spring shoot, too.
That may be a bit iffy also. Its close to Alivia's due date...

Old January 27, 2019, 20:46   #46
snowhawk jockey
Registered

A couple silhouette would be plenty for long range pistol. I will have my plate rack plus a t-post rack and half dozen or more plates to hang for rifles. 6", 10" and 12" rounds and a few squares.
Old January 27, 2019, 22:43   #47
nickmil
Registered

If you want to come get them I have 2 silhouette targets. One hanging with adaptability to swinging targets of different sizes and one 45 degree down tilt target. Haven't had time to build a different upright for that one. They all breakdown for transport.
I hope to make it but not sure. That damn work thing.
Old January 28, 2019, 07:04   #48
otis61
Registered

Quote:

Since I'm coming stag I plan to be set-up and blasting by 11am. Thinking mostly rim fire and handgun.
I'll be there earlier Friday too. See you there.
Old January 28, 2019, 11:15   #49
snowhawk jockey
Registered

A litlle precip in the forcast for friday and less on Saturday. Bring rain gear, that way it blows over and leaves us dry.

Last edited by snowhawk jockey; January 28, 2019 at 16:59.
Old January 28, 2019, 13:18   #50
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis61 View Post
I'll be there earlier Friday too. See you there.
Man! All the cool kids are gonna be early - we are trying to get there midday.