The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old November 09, 2018, 10:56   #1
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
.458 SOCOM, .450 Bushmaster, or .50 Beowulf?

For no particular reason (maybe its just the season); recently, I've been considering a large caliber upper for when the mood strikes. Not really interested in a dedicated rifle, just an upper to fit on a 5.56 lower. Thoughts?

One other question. Which red dots would you recommend to handle the recoil?
Old November 09, 2018, 11:25   #2
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
I have had the "urge" for a thumper, but so far have managed to resist.

I think if I did give in, it would be with the 458 Socom.....or in second place the 450 Bushmaster. I like the speed demons of the thumpers!

But I have no plans to get one as of yet.......
Old November 09, 2018, 11:40   #3
TedMckay
Registered

FALaholic #: 76858
I love my .50 Beowulf but damn it was expensive to get into and develop a decent cheap load. It kicks the hell out of everything. I like the .458 socom but it doesn’t do what the Beowulf does. I feel my 7.62 battle rifles can cover the .458 socom need. The Beowulf is like a semi auto 45/70 with max loads.
Old November 09, 2018, 12:39   #4
fal762
Registered

FALaholic #: 66358
I've had my Beowulf over 20 years. Don't take it out much but it's great fun to shoot when I do.
fal762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2018, 12:53   #5
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
I can only speak of 458 SOCOM and 450 Bushmaster. In straight walled restricted states the SOCOM round gets left out of the picture if hunting is what you have in mind.
The Bushmaster takes a bit more care in selecting magazines the will feed reliably. Aluminum and plastic mags lack enough feed lip strength to hold back a full stack and will send rounds flying every which way if bumped. Steel have worked quite well for me with a bit of tuning. For a hunter on the go, or for a non-reloader, the Bushmaster can be found nearly everywhere.

SOCOM rounds feed better from mags and chamber better due to the bottle necked cases. And it hits hard and suppresses well too. Better have plenty on hand for an outing because ammo is hard to find if you run out.

The 50 Beowulf is something I have no experience with. I would think that the lips in a steel magazine could easily handle the large diameter case. Here is another cartridge that you need to make sure you have brought enough on a outing.

All three are thumpers and are effective at rearranging anything hit with one. Considering bullet selection, case availability, ease of reloading, mainstream availability, and performance expected will determine which is best for you. I always used EOTECHs on my builds. You pays the money and makes your choice.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2018, 13:39   #6
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
I just took advantage of the Primary Arms sale on .458 SOCOM barrels and bought a couple. Totally an impulse buy though and no experience and little knowledge of the cartridge. I will get a bolt and carrier from somewhere, Brownells has them for a little over $100, and I already have an upper receiver that is not being used. Then a gas block, a muzzle device and a few other small parts and I can put it all together. I have found ammo for about $42 a box. Why got involved in another project, I don't know.
Old November 09, 2018, 15:23   #7
fal762
Registered

FALaholic #: 66358
Beowulf ammo is the cheapest of the three starting at $1.11/round with .458 Socom starting at $1.35/round and .450 Bushmaster $1.17/round according to ammoseek.com
As stated before Beowulf and Bushmaster are straight walled.
The Beowulf probably has the shortest effective range of them.
I bought my Beo upper at one of the Black Rifle Conventions held back in the early '90s after myself, my girlfriend and another couple ate dinner at the same table as Bill Alexander and his chief engineer (don't recall his name, though he was from H&K). This was before they were selling complete rifles and only uppers at the time IIRC.
fal762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2018, 17:48   #8
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
[QUOTE=Gazz;4656091] I will get a bolt and carrier from somewhere, Brownells has them for a little over $100, and I already have an upper receiver that is not being used.

Be warned that those large caliber thumper rounds need to have enlarged ejection ports for fired cases to pass though. You will have to modify your own or purchase one made to accommodate the larger size. Tromix and others sell them plus has drawings for the do-it-yourselfer.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote