Notices

Old July 14, 2019, 22:40   #51
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Hey, Dave!

Hope you're well.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2019, 16:16   #52
julysol
Registered

FALaholic #: 6729
Sweet looking place! A serious question: Where exactly is that spot? I'd like to go there for an overnighter and do some longer range shooting. I'm tired of the place I go to now. Its only 100yrds and too many very unsafe and inconsiderate shooters there. I got chased out last time from some guy shooting at rocks with ricochets flying all over the place. If this is private land, PM me and lets talk. I "leave only foot prints". Ex Cub Scout, Webelo, and Boy Scout, and a bit of a tree and critter hugger too but NO hippie. I live in the Bend area. If I have the time and space in my car, I usually take some other peoples target trash with me when I leave, especially glass and plastics.

Rich
julysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2019, 19:42   #53
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by julysol View Post
Sweet looking place! A serious question: Where exactly is that spot? I'd like to go there for an overnighter and do some longer range shooting. I'm tired of the place I go to now. Its only 100yrds and too many very unsafe and inconsiderate shooters there. I got chased out last time from some guy shooting at rocks with ricochets flying all over the place. If this is private land, PM me and lets talk. I "leave only foot prints". Ex Cub Scout, Webelo, and Boy Scout, and a bit of a tree and critter hugger too but NO hippie. I live in the Bend area. If I have the time and space in my car, I usually take some other peoples target trash with me when I leave, especially glass and plastics.

Rich
Hi Rich-

Its obvious you've read through this thread and know we don't give out the location in public for a MULTITUDE of reasons....pretty silly of you to ask actually....

If you're in Bend, why haven't you attended one of our functions?? We have always welcomed 'Files folk.

Attending a shoot would get you all the location info needed for future reference....it's an awesome spot....one we've cultivated for 10 years...and one we're not giving access to someone we haven't vetted...

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2019, 23:59   #54
kwthor
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 49571
You just got the lurker invite.
I started out as a lurker and then got the lurker invite.

Great group to hang with for safe shooting.
positive limitations, men in bodies being but an aggregation of the
passions, weaknesses and interests of men as individuals."
-- James Fenimore Cooper
(1789-1851)
Source: The American Democrat, 1838
kwthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2019, 17:38   #55
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:

Rich
julysol/Rich -

Welcome to Oregon FAL Files, where people like Rich will tell you what they think without any additional shine. I appreciate that you are one of the good guys. Also appreciate that you clean up after the assholes. We've had to do it ourselves, too, in multiple places. Here's only a few of the reasons that we're not super stoked to divulge the location:

1. It's a big world out there, and people can find their own way to lots of good places

2. We've been photographed by federal agents and/or officers on multiple occasions out there. We've been told that we were a "militia" or a "training group" back when that was a good way to have some trouble headed our way. And on that topic...

3. One year, actual helicopters and actual guys in black with *actual* guns fast-roped into our AO (past one berm about 1300 yards away), and then sent people to come make contact with us at this shoot. That guy ("Contact #1") said that he was a forest service ranger (and he *did* have the uniform on, but the sharp cheekbones and single-digit body fat said he *might* have been working for someone else...), and he was wondering if we'd "...seen the fire..." that they were working on. There was no fire. Anywhere.

4. Another year, a Hercules with a giant photo lens gave us 10 circular 'passes' and took photos of all of us and our cars and our camp.

5. We've met more Deschutes County guys than we can count

So we're invested in two things:

1. people who come out to our thing are not criminals or douches (we believe that you are not either one of those things, but we've never met you), and

2. people who use that spot with firearms don't bring *more* trouble to that site by either making a mess OR by playing with toys that they shouldn't be playing with

So please accept our apologies for wanting to meet you first. Mostly because we don't want our daddies, the Forest Service, to show up and nix our annual party because of something we didn't have anything to do with. We feel like we've been chased all over the state, and if this location goes away, we're not going to be able to do that thing we love to do.

Good news for you is that we are probably going to do the annual year-end November thing (1 day or 1 day + 1 night), as well as the Freeze Your Nuts Off thing in late January or early February (it'll be somewhere between 6* and 36*).

Those events ^ are somewhat less-well attended, but it's a good thing anyway. And then you'll be 'in', and you can show up whenever you want - with or without us.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
Old August 12, 2019, 17:50   #56
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Don't feel ostracized Julysol. Last year they had some dipshit and his wife from Kentucky show up.

Therefore they have good reason to be concerned about validating guests

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Old August 12, 2019, 18:49   #57
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Uh... exactly.

This ^ is the exact thing we're talking about.
Old August 12, 2019, 21:21   #58
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Well said Brunop.

Don't mind me Sol, I just run to the end of my leash and bark...

Old August 14, 2019, 23:01   #59
sportsnut
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3817
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
Well said Brunop.

Don't mind me Sol, I just run to the end of my leash and bark...

This is Rich when somebody new asks for FAL shoot directions..
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (35.2 KB, 6 views)

Ron W.

Last edited by sportsnut; August 14, 2019 at 23:53.
sportsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2019, 23:44   #60
Elkaholic
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34966
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsnut View Post
This is Rich when somebody new asks for FAL shoot directions..
Elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2019, 15:41   #61
julysol
Registered

FALaholic #: 6729
Oh, I"ve been a member on the files for near on 20 years. I know how people here like to be.....people...."?forum people?"

Were they dips@$ts because they didn't bring enough TN. whiskey for everyone? I get it. With my luck, if I were there, they'd have brought whiskey and everyone forgot the beer. (prefer a good beer over the hard stuff) The problem is you don't know until after they come and learn where the place is that you find out they're dips.

Went to the local BLM office and got a "shooting map". I did find a place near home on blm that I think I can reach near 1000 yards. A storm was rolling in so I didn't stay long enough to find a spot to shoot prone, too much sage brush blocking the path. And I don't care for shooting off benches, which would work. Head'n back there this weekend for a better recon of the area. Only saw a few old shotgun shells and 22 casings laying around. So not used much for shooting that I can tell.
julysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2019, 01:19   #62
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Oh, I"ve been a member on the files for near on 20 years. I know how people here like to be.....people...."?forum people?"

Were they dips@$ts because they didn't bring enough TN. whiskey for everyone? I get it. With my luck, if I were there, they'd have brought whiskey and everyone forgot the beer. (prefer a good beer over the hard stuff) The problem is you don't know until after they come and learn where the place is that you find out they're dips.

Went to the local BLM office and got a "shooting map". I did find a place near home on blm that I think I can reach near 1000 yards. A storm was rolling in so I didn't stay long enough to find a spot to shoot prone, too much sage brush blocking the path. And I don't care for shooting off benches, which would work. Head'n back there this weekend for a better recon of the area. Only saw a few old shotgun shells and 22 casings laying around. So not used much for shooting that I can tell.
The cool thing about our spot is that its literally an elevated peninsula.. yea sage brush is an issue if you don't have targets that present above a couple feet. But there are bald spots that allow low set steel..

You really should come out.

Its a shooters utopia...

Old September 03, 2019, 23:07   #63
PSLjunkie
Registered

FALaholic #: 82507
its been a couple years since i have made it to a shoot. hoping to make it to the next one. my youngest boy Jake has really taken to the shooting sports. he took home 5 champion ribbons in his age bracket in the local 4h fair shoot. pistol
standing single hand, 2 handed and kneeling. also air rifle prone and kneeling.
also shoots in the bow club. planning on bringing him out next year to the shoot. always a fun time hanging out with this group. really been missing it the last few years!!!!!!
PSLjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 04, 2019, 10:37   #64
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

It would be great to have you around again Darren.

Old September 05, 2019, 11:59   #65
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
It would be great to have you around again Darren.
Ditto.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is offline   Reply With Quote