The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 05, 2019, 16:00   #1
Celt
Registered

FALaholic #: 415
Why would anyone vacation in Mexico?

After hearing about the American family being massacred I had to ask this question.

People tell me it's great (typical tourist spots) but what they always forget to say is that the Mexican army and police are stationed around those spots for their security.

Why the f*ck would one go to a county so unstable that that nations armed forces have to protect you?

On a good note, I was so pleased that there is now bi-partisan support to deploy US forces from Syria protect our southern boarder....
Celt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2019, 16:11   #2
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
I had to go there a few weeks ago on business. The people are pretty cool and good food. But there is no way in hell I would drive any distance that involved going across the border. .

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2019, 17:25   #3
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I traveled to a copper mine in that area a few years back. A completely different place than the resorts in the east. You won't catch me on the west coast or in the desert. You might still find me on the Riviera from time to time.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2019, 19:29   #4
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Ive a buddy that goes half a dozen times a year.
Fly out of Nashville, spend a week on the beach in the sun at a resort thats all inclusive for well under a grand including air fare,,,or less then it ends up costing to spend a weekend in the ozarks.

Personally, visiting mexico city one time back about 86' was more then enough to keep me planted in the USA.....
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2019, 20:18   #5
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
When I lived in Phoenix we would go down to the town of Puerto Peņasco.
Cases of beer were super cheap, camping on the beach for two weeks would cost us $20 each for the week.
Spending the last two weeks of November down there, drinking beer, eating shrimp and hanging out with the locals was so much fun.

Now days I would not set foot in Mehico. They are now finding mass graves near where we used to camp.
Old November 05, 2019, 22:19   #6
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
Mexico, like most places, has some "stay away from" areas. Just as I wouldn't recommend a tourist visit Chicago's south side, New York City's south Bronx; or South East Washington, D.C. I wouldn't judge Mexico from the narco-borderland Chihuahua and Sonora area.

It's tragic what happened to the mormon family/families, but there is a narco war going on, and the borderlands are ground zero in the conflict.
Old November 06, 2019, 10:45   #7
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Mexico is cash cash cash, after your air fare and Hotel.

No cash? "Astalavista, baby".
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 10:56   #8
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolero1911 View Post
Mexico, like most places, has some "stay away from" areas. Just as I wouldn't recommend a tourist visit Chicago's south side, New York City's south Bronx; or South East Washington, D.C. I wouldn't judge Mexico from the narco-borderland Chihuahua and Sonora area.

It's tragic what happened to the mormon family/families, but there is a narco war going on, and the borderlands are ground zero in the conflict.
This was true,,,10/15 years ago,,,not today.

Even the interior/once all safe,, tourist locations are being hit.

Mexico has become a completely failed state,,,regardless of location inside the nation.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 13:46   #9
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
Whore houses and saloons used to be the only reason to visit Mexico after the Chicken Ranch was shut down,,, now they sell the same thing in Houston,,, with air conditioning, and they mostly speak English, except on Canal Street.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 21:46   #10
Andraste
Registered

FALaholic #: 80827
Americans have been insulated from the dangers of the world for so long they think they can safely travel anywhere.
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 09:39   #11
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
I had a friend from Baton Rouge back in late 1980's that used to go to Mexico so often that he was planning on swapping engines of a modern van to one that would run on leaded gasoline. He stated that the deeper you get into Mexico, the harder it was to find un-leaded gas.

He loved to go to the west side where beaches, shrimp, beer and wimmin were plentiful and inexpensive. Today, 2019, I do not know if he is still living.

Jarhead
Old November 08, 2019, 09:46   #12
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andraste View Post
Americans have been insulated from the dangers of the world for so long they think they can safely travel anywhere.
Pretty much this.

I spent a couple weeks in Cabo San Lucas twice in the early 2000's. The Baja was relatively insulated from the mess that was mainland Mexico back then. Not so much now though. I have friends that still go and stay at the all-inclusive resorts; those trips are pretty much a "fly in, go directly to resort, don't leave, go directly to airport, fly out" vacation though. Part of the fun of travel is experiencing the people and their culture. Nowadays in Mexico, that seems to be like shooting craps as whether you'll have a good time, get robbed, or murdered though.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 09:48   #13
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

The In-Laws just got back from Mehico staying at an all inclusive. They loved it, said they never saw any drug issues. Probably weren't looking to hard either.

Military cant go to Mehico so why the hell would anyone go.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 11:16   #14
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
I'd say the brains of the cartels realize its bad business to mess up tourist locations. Golden goose and all that. They make money on all economic transactions, not just drugs. But they cant control everyone, and probably dont get too twisted up if a drunk college kid wanders into old town Acapulco and ends up robbed or dead. Different story if youre a rich kid who can fetch a ransom.

Keep in mind that young Mexicans also visit the tourist locations and wont mind robbing and raping. Its not only a cartel problem.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2019, 21:38   #15
Southern 7.62
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79321
We used to vacation in the Yucatan interior around February-ish. It was a good break from the Montana winter as temps in Maya land that time of year are mid to upper 70's. Great food, friendly locals, and very interesting culture. We stopped our Mexico trips in 2017 as we were starting to notice a negative change in the overall attitude we experienced from Mexico Mexicans, not Mayan Mexicans. Also, the influx of rival Cartels were beginning to battle for control of the Peninsula; Yucatan, Campeche, and Quintana Roo. Several kidnappings, shootings, and the bombing of the Cozumel Ferry was enough to convince us that Mexico would be off-limits for the foreseeable future. A real shame, as its a beautiful country. Alot of good folks still down there, but until the Cartels ever finish their wars, we won't be going back. Just not worth the risk. Mordidas (bites, or bribes) are as familiar and normal in Mexican culture as apple pie in American culture. Violent shootings, beheadings, and target specific and non-specific violence on tourists are not normal.
Southern 7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2019, 22:02   #16
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Maybe for the same reasons some choose to go back packing in Afghanistan or North Korea
Old November 10, 2019, 22:22   #17
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Why would anyone vacation in Mexico?
To meet gurls and to get away from winter.
Old November 10, 2019, 22:42   #18
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Donkey shows..
Old November 10, 2019, 22:58   #19
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
The d0nk3y sh0w is like Sanctuary. There is no d0nk3y sh0w.
Old November 10, 2019, 23:01   #20
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Looks like the Morman's in Mexico have had enough,,,over 100 crossed over yesterday here at the border crossing in Douglas AZ,,,with reports,,,all or most of them are pulling out and returning to the states.

They've been there a long time,,,,have some really nice places,,,but are pulling out.

A hell of a message about Mexico.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2019, 23:33   #21
BIG50
Registered

FALaholic #: 1441
This weekend is the rockypoint bike ralley i used to go every year never had a problem but quit going 6 years ago.
This weekend my 37 year old daughter went down for the first time for the bike ralley i have been on pins and needles for the past 4 days waiting for her and her friends to return.
Just talked to her a Few minutes ago they are coming home tomorrow i cant wait to hear from her return tomorrow i now hate that place.
If she plans on going back next year i will go with her to keep a watch.
**** mexico and i will talk to her about that screwed up place.
BIG50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2019, 08:49   #22
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
I drove down to Rocky Point last year, was fine.