The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old February 06, 2019, 07:43   #1
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
2019 Run For Your Life Zombie 10K

Alright guys, time for this shindig to start back up again. There's gonna be a 10K on Saturday and then either a 3K or a 5 K rimfire event on Sunday. Here's the FB link, and as always, more details will become available as we get closer to the event.

https://www.facebook.com/events/413743836034899/?ti=cl
ElTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 07:47   #2
ElTigre
Registered

We do already have our first stage sponsor! PROOF Research has sponsored this event since it's beginning and they're stepping up in a big way this year. In addition to the free barrels they always send, they're also going to send 50 percent off certificates. Head over to their Facebook page and website to check them out. If you're looking to lighten up that rifle, this is a fantastic way to do so.

https://www.proofresearch.com
https://www.facebook.com/ProofResearchUSA/
Old February 08, 2019, 11:03   #3
ElTigre
Registered

We have our first obstacle sponsor! Returning this year is @moa_targets and they'll be sending at least one of those beauty's right there. That is a Mini Mo, and I think y'all are gonna develop a love/hate relationship with it. If you're looking for steel targets, from plain gongs to werewolves to a Polish Plate Rack, head on over and check them out.
www.moatargets.com
https://www.facebook.com/moatargets/

#zombiestrong #zombiehunter #betterstarttraining #thisthingisawesome
Old March 07, 2019, 20:54   #4
ElTigre
Registered

Sponsor mail day! PROOF Research is upping their game this year. In addition to the two free certs they have sent the last two years, they're also sending a 50 percent off certificate for each type of barrel! Head over to their website www.proofresearch.com and see what you might do to lighten your rifle up.
Old March 08, 2019, 12:00   #5
ElTigre
Registered

We have our first Course sponsor! Run and Gun Apparel has a lot of pretty awesome shirts of course. But they also have leather ammo bags, notebook covers, and other assorted gear that every gun enthusiast needs.. They're going to be providing our match shirts this year, more details on that later. Head over to their website and Facebook page to see what all they have to offer.
https://www.runandgunapparel.com
https://www.facebook.com/runandgunco/
Old March 08, 2019, 17:29   #6
ElTigre
Registered

We have our next stage sponsor!! Thunder Beast Arms Corporation is returning this year in a big way! There will be SIX certificates from them on the prize table. If you're into suppressors(and you should be) then you know the kind of quality that comes from TBAC. Pictured is their ULTRA 7, which weighs less than 10 oz. Head over to their website and Facebook page to see what else they have available.
www.thunderbeastarms.com
https://www.facebook.com/ThunderBeastArms/
Old March 21, 2019, 16:35   #7
ElTigre
Registered

We are proud to welcome back Seekins Precision as a stage sponsor!!! They build everything from lower parts to exceptionally awesome rifles. AR platform or bolt gun, they are the folks to call. Check them out at their website www.seekinsprecision.com and their Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/SeekinsPrecision/
Old March 22, 2019, 10:30   #8
ElTigre
Registered

We are proud to announce that Mantis is returning this year as a stage sponsor!!! Last year I picked one of their MantisX trainers up and I went from timing out on pistol stages to clearing plate racks weak hand only. This device is to dry fire what the shot timer is to live fire! Only you can use this with live fire too. Step from the analog to the digital age. Check them out on their website and Facebook page.
www.mantisx.con
https://www.facebook.com/MantisFTS/
Old March 29, 2019, 18:03   #9
ElTigre
Registered

We have another sponsor! 2A Tactical AZ I s gonna give every competitor a 20 percent discount good for up to 90 days after the event. They do some phenomenal laser engraving. If you wanna kick up the looks of your next or current build, these are the guys to call. You can check them out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/2ATacticalAZ/
Old April 13, 2019, 08:20   #10
ElTigre
Registered

Stage 1 - Well F@ck Presented by MOA Targets LLC

So the apocalypse has happened. You're a ways from home and all you have is your pistol. You need a rifle, and you know just the gangbangers house where to get it. But you never can tell what kind of rifle they're gonna have.

Stage your rifle to the side. Draw one of three colors. On the buzzer, engage the Mini Mo target from 10 yards. This target will require you to hit the "bullseye" chest plate, which will raise the head target. You will then shoot the head target, knocking it down and resetting. Reholster your pistol. Run to the board matching the color you drew. Pick up the rifle behind that board. It is loaded with an unknown amount of ammo. Engage 5 rifle targets. If you run out of rifle ammo, you may draw your pistol and finish the targets. Rifle targets require 1 hit to neutralize with the rifle, 2 hits to neutralize with the pistol.

Required pistol hits - 2
Required rifle hits - 5 from a stage gun
Old April 18, 2019, 11:25   #11
ElTigre
Registered

We have another stage sponsor! Smoke Composites was a big sponsor last year and they're coming through again this year in a big way. If you've never handled any of their furniture, you're missing out. It not only lightens the rifle, it's solid as a rock and looks crazy good. If you wanna make your rifle a little easier to carry on the course, you can check them out at www.smokecomposites.com.
Old April 18, 2019, 14:35   #12
ElTigre
Registered

We have another sponsor today! Burris Optics is returning this year and they make some pretty revolutionary stuff. From their Eliminator line of range finding scopes, to the Oracle, a range finding bow sight, to their FastFire red dots, the lowest profile shotgun red dot on the market. You can check out their full lineup on www.burrisoptics.com
Old April 18, 2019, 15:38   #13
ElTigre
Registered

Sponsors just keep rolling in today. J Allen Enterprises, Inc. is our second obstacle sponsor. They're putting a 500 dollar off certificate on the prize table. For those who don't know, they makes some of the finest precision rifle chassis's around. From the Remington 700 and clones, to the M1A and M14. They're comfortable, stylish, and infinitely customizable. You can check out all the various options on their website at www.jallenglobal.com
Old April 18, 2019, 17:09   #14
ElTigre
Registered

We have another stage sponsor! Leupold Optics is coming through with 2 50 percent off coupons for the prize table. If you've been living under a rock for the last 100 years, Leupold makes some absolutely fantastic optics. Everything from their fixed rimfire scopes to the Mark 8 for extreme long range is packed with features and durability. You can browse their options(or call their custom shop for a one of a kind optic) at www.leupold.com
Old April 25, 2019, 19:32   #15
ElTigre
Registered

We have another sponsor!! B&TIndustries is sponsoring our event with their "AccuShot Challenge". For those who don't recognize the name, they produce Atlas bipods, some of the most rugged and advanced rifle supports on the market today. You can check them out on www.accushot.com
Old May 06, 2019, 11:11   #16
ElTigre
Registered

We have another sponsor! Shaw Barrels donated an awesome barrel for the side match gun! What's the side match gun you ask?!?!? Well stay tuned to find out. But these guys barrels are a way to upgrade any rifle from just "meh" to match grade awesome. You can check out all their offerings on their website at www.shawcustombarrels.com
Old May 17, 2019, 07:16   #17
ElTigre
Registered

Mantis sponsor Mail day! They put up 5 Mantis X's for the prize table. Of course, if you don't wanna wait to upgrade your dryfire, you should go order one. It may be the difference between a "meh" performance and a win.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:44   #18
ElTigre
Registered

We have another sponsor! Fire-arm Guard makes some fantastic moisture absorbing blocks to keep your safes, gun rooms, and other things dry. This not only prevents rust on your favorite guns, but also keeps things from smelling musty or damp. These things never need recharging, and act 24/7. You can check them out on Instagram or on their website at www.firearmguards.com
Old May 20, 2019, 13:10   #19
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Hi, probably a dumb question.... I see 5k events usually have like 5 or 6 stages.

Would a 10k have like 8 or 9 stages, or is it still around 5 but just longer distances to travel?
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 13:38   #20
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Although this may not be applicable to this match, most Run and Guns have 1 stage for each kilometer in distance run. And if the terrain is not challenging enough, the match director will insert an obstacle to make sure it is not just a sprint to the next stage. The common format is something like this:

5K = 4-5 stages with 3-4 obstacles
10K = 8-10 stages with 6-8 obstacles

Of course the location determines where the stages can safely be and how many. In the case of Stimpy's RNG, the 5K starts and stops at a specific location, but due to range requirements, the 10K is the 5k run a second time without stopping at the 5K finish. I didn't look to see if he made the second lap run backwards to change things up a little.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.

Last edited by tac-40; May 21, 2019 at 21:01.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 15:14   #21
Tak
Registered

2nd lap running backwards....THAT would be a challenge!
Old May 21, 2019, 15:22   #22
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post

Of course the location determines where the stages can safely be and how many. In the case of Stimpy's RNG, the 5K starts and stops at a specific location, but due to range requirements, the 10K is the 5k run a second time without stopping at the 5K finish.
Negative, there is a 15 minute grace period for reloading at my match.

"Itís hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019, 20:59   #23
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
Negative, there is a 15 minute grace period for reloading at my match.
Going easy on them, eh?

I guess my verbage was a little hazy. I should have said something like, when reaching the 5K finish line, they continue the race by running the course again for a total of 10K.

I am stopping at the 5K finish line sometime on Friday. I am thinking of packing an MRE with me so I can stop for lunch if need be.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019, 22:23   #24
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
2nd lap running backwards....THAT would be a challenge!
I like the way you think!
Old May 24, 2019, 18:24   #25
ElTigre
Registered

Quote:
Hi, probably a dumb question.... I see 5k events usually have like 5 or 6 stages.

Would a 10k have like 8 or 9 stages, or is it still around 5 but just longer distances to travel?
This particular 10K has 8 stages. I had 9 last year and it was nearly impossible to staff. Hopefully 8 doesn't prove crazy tough to do.
Old May 24, 2019, 18:25   #26
ElTigre
Registered

We have another sponsor!!!! Alexander Arms is one of my favorite modern rifle companies. They specialize in awesome calibers and other interesting takes on the AR15. A black AR in 5.56 is boring, step up your game to 6.8, .50 Beowulf, or even better.338 Lapua! You can find them Instagram, Facebook and on their website at www.alexanderarms.com
Old May 26, 2019, 13:50   #27
ElTigre
Registered

Stage 2 - Toddler Rescue Presented by Firearm Guard

Zombies are attacking and you've gotta save the little kid. Even if he is ugly. Don't shoot the other people trying to escape though. Murder is still bad.

On the buzzer pick up the simulated toddler and move forward through the cave. You will engage 5 zombie targets one handed. Each target can be neutralized with a single headshot. Hits anywhere else on the target won't do any good. A hit anywhere on a no shoot will cost you 30 seconds to your shoot time. After you have completed the course of fire, return the simulated toddler to his starting position and exit the cave.

Required pistol hits - 5

Remember, you will need some sort of light to move through the cave. Weapon mounted lights fine for the course of fire, but you will need to get to the start position without one. I recommend a headlamp or handheld light that fits in your pocket.
Old June 18, 2019, 12:47   #28
ElTigre
Registered

MOA Targets confirmed that they're upping their sponsorship level. Remember that minimo target? Yeah, they're sending 3. Head over to their website or Facebook page and give them a shout-out for being awesome. And if you get a chance, order some steel, their Chief Guy In Charge of Stuff can help you with any of your needs.
Old June 19, 2019, 11:16   #29
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTigre View Post
Stage 2 - Toddler Rescue Presented by Firearm Guard

Zombies are attacking and you've gotta save the little kid. Even if he is ugly. Don't shoot the other people trying to escape though. Murder is still bad.

On the buzzer pick up the simulated toddler and move forward through the cave. You will engage 5 zombie targets one handed. Each target can be neutralized with a single headshot. Hits anywhere else on the target won't do any good. A hit anywhere on a no shoot will cost you 30 seconds to your shoot time. After you have completed the course of fire, return the simulated toddler to his starting position and exit the cave.

Required pistol hits - 5

Remember, you will need some sort of light to move through the cave. Weapon mounted lights fine for the course of fire, but you will need to get to the start position without one. I recommend a headlamp or handheld light that fits in your pocket.
Make sure the baby diapers are heavy
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2019, 20:12   #30
ElTigre
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Make sure the baby diapers are heavy
Lol. I'll.make sure it's squishy at the very least.
Old June 19, 2019, 20:21   #31
ElTigre
Registered

Alright, let's talk about this rimfire event. It'll be an all rifle 5K event, with a single pistol stage. The pistol stage will have a stage gun, but if you wanna carry and shoot your own rimfire pistol, be my guest. Rough round count is gonna be around 50 or so. Obstacles will be optional. Remember, the whole point of this is to have FUN and to possibly introduce some new people to the sport. Be as competitive as you want, but remember, I'm hoping this fills up with 8-14 year olds. So take any awesome score you may have with a grain of salt.now, stage 1!

The Walking Dead
Headshots, headshots, headshots. It's all about the headshots when you're facing up against zombies.

Start in shoot box one. Hit 5 targets with a single hit each. Move to shoot box 2. Hit the same 5 targets again with a single hit. Move to shoot box 3. Hit the same 5 targets with a single shot each.

Total hits required - 15.
Old June 20, 2019, 11:42   #32
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Lol. I'll.make sure it's squishy at the very least.
Bonus points if it oozes out
Old June 20, 2019, 21:56   #33
Tak
Registered

Make it like a real toddler.

You get them all dressed and then buckled in their car seat, then the kid vomits all over himself and the seat and the car.

Old June 21, 2019, 05:01   #34
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Make it like a real toddler.

You get them all dressed and then buckled in their car seat, then the kid vomits all over himself and the seat and the car.

Now this feels like those booby traps: you move it and it explodes on your face.
Old June 21, 2019, 06:13   #35
ElTigre
Registered

I'm not sure if you guys want to keep suggesting things. I'm liable to have one of my real life toddlers vomit on the thing, just for realism.
Old July 02, 2019, 09:24   #36
ElTigre
Registered

I'm.happy to announce that TandemKross has joined us as a sponsor! They have a history of making good guns great, and their triggers are some of the best you can put on the already good 10/22. Speaking of which, that's EXACTLY what we're doing! That side match with @B&T Industries Accushot Challenge? It's gonna be a custom 10/22. One of these FANTASTIC triggers, the Shaw Barrels match grade fluted barrel, a Boyd's AT ONE stock all are gonna add up to mean that if you miss the bullseye, it's your fault. Each entry into the side match will get a raffle ticket. At the awards ceremony, we're giving away this sweet little gun. And if you win the rifle and aren't already signed up for the rimfire match the next day, you get a free entry. If you are already signed up, you get a brick of ammo.

Check out all the various ways to make good guns great at their website and Facebook page.

www.tandemkross.com
https://www.facebook.com/Tandemkross/
Old July 10, 2019, 09:26   #37
ElTigre
Registered

So our sponsor Mantis has just released a new model of their tool. The X10 is an upgrade in nearly every way. It tracks better for rapid fire drills, is more accurate, and for the first time ever puts a quantifiable measurement for recoil! You can find this on their product page. Even better though, if you have an original Mantis X, they have a trade in program. You can get 100 bucks for your old Mantis towards the purchase of a new one. It's a pretty nice perk if you wanna upgrade but don't wanna have two of them lying around. Check them out at the link below.

https://mantisx.com/pages/trade-in-program
Old July 13, 2019, 06:46   #38
ElTigre
Registered

Stage 3 - The Walking(and crawling) Dead Presented by Alexander Arms

The Walking Dead are bad enough. Did you know that small animals who eat zombie flesh get the virus too? Destroy the human zombie hoard, then take out the zombie rats.

Start in shoot box 1, find and engage all targets with a single hit from your rifle. Move to shoot for 2, repeat. There are 20 hits between the two shoot boxes, the RO will not point out targets and you will decide when you have hit them all. Then, move to shoot box 3, and transition to your pistol. Clear the 10 targets hanging from the stand.

Each rifle.target left not neutralized is a 30 second penalty. Each pistol target left is a 10 second penalty.

This is the only steel target stage with penalties instead of a DNF since you aren't being told how many targets can be engaged from each shoot box. Rifle targets will be 6-10 inch plates ranging from 50-75 yards. Pistol targets will be 2-4 inches at a range of about 7 yards.

Edit: Required rifle hits - 20
Required pistol hits - 10

Last edited by ElTigre; July 13, 2019 at 08:26.
Old July 14, 2019, 16:08   #39
ElTigre
Registered

Alright folks, I need some volunteers to RO. I'm hoping to get enough people so that the ROs for Saturday don't have to work Sunday. Priority given to those I like who have worked for me before. Everyone else, feel free to contact me and give me a brief run down of your experience. And even if we have talked before about you ROing for me, shoot me a message or a text and remind me. Remember, if we don't get enough ROs, I've gotta cut stuff out to match my staff.
Old July 15, 2019, 12:14   #40
ElTigre
Registered

Stage 4 - Defending Area 51 - Presented by Smokes Composites

Just cuz the apocalypse has happened doesn't mean you get to blow off duty. Defend the aliens against the swarm of hipsters, geeks, and other aliennappers.

Start by moving up to the VTAC board. There are 5 pistol targets(Kyle's) ranging from 7-12 yards and 5 rifle targets(Naruto Runners) from 50-75 yards. You must hit one target from each port of the VTAC board, including the barricade on the outside. You can choose which targets to engage first, rifle or pistol, and which ports to shoot that weapon out of. You can only use each port to hit a single target, then must transition to a different port.

Required rifle hits - 5
Required pistol hits - 5
Old July 17, 2019, 18:51   #41
ElTigre
Registered

Stayed up late halfway finalizing stages. Got a round count. 45 rifle, 34 pistol, and 5 stage gun hits.
Old July 20, 2019, 19:54   #42
Tak
Registered

When does registration open?

Does this usually sell out quick?

Trying to plan out around my work schedule, busy season for me.

Also assuming I survive my rookie RNG in August.
Old July 21, 2019, 19:02   #43
ElTigre
Registered

Registration will open early September. And no, this doesn't usually sell out at all.
Old July 22, 2019, 11:23   #44
ElTigre
Registered

We have another sponsor!!! R&Z Targets have traditionally made targets for muzzleloader and varmint for score type matches. Their steel is fantastic, and their customer service is top notch. They're sending 10 targets for us to shoot at, then throw on the prize table. Everything from a 3.5 inch gong to a full size silhouette. If you wanna really buckle down and become a bullseye shooter, then I recommend you check them out on their website and Facebook.

www.rztargets.com
www.facebook.com/rztargets
Old July 24, 2019, 18:25   #45
ElTigre
Registered

Rimfire Stage 2 - Quickdraw Mcgraw
You come upon a demon cowboy in the abandoned mining town. Take him out before he can eat your face!
On the buzzer draw and make a single hit on a target at 7-10 yards.
This is the single pistol stage.
There will be a provided pistol if you don't own one. If you wanna carry and shoot your own, feel free to do so.
Old July 28, 2019, 13:22   #46
ElTigre
Registered

Below are the registration links. Be sure you're registering for the correct event. Registration opens September 1 at Noon CST. Remember, nobody over the age of 18 will be approved for the 5K for 3 days. Priority is given to junior shooters. However, I do recommend that you sign up and simply wait to be approved.

5K registration
https://practiscore.com/the-run-for-...-2019/register

10K registration
https://practiscore.com/the-run-for-...-2019/register
Old August 05, 2019, 14:04   #47
ElTigre
Registered

I'm excited to announce that Lalo Tactical is returning as a sponsor this year! They make some of the best footwear in the country. I personally have been wearing their Grinder shoes since late last year. Anyone who knows me knows I'm hard on equipment. These things look brand new. And they're light, and stable. You can check out their full line at their website www.lalo.com
Old August 08, 2019, 21:28   #48
ElTigre
Registered

Stage 5 - Golems Presented by ThunderBeast Arms
A mad wizard has created a bunch of golems! Kill them all before they can terrorize the country side.

On the buzzer, engage the targets from nearest to farthest. The closest target will be a 4 inch plate at 60 yards. The furthest will be a very large plate at 500. The 8 in the middle are of various sizes at unknown distances.

Required Rifle Hits - 10
Old August 14, 2019, 09:29   #49
ElTigre
Registered

Stage 6 - Quick Draw Mcgraw - Presented by Mantis X
You come upon a rogue flying monkey in the woods. Take him out before he can eat your face!
On the buzzer you will have 5 seconds to draw and make a single hit on a target at 7-10 yards.
Required pistol hits - 1
Old August 14, 2019, 10:16   #50
Tak
Registered

Quote:
You come upon a rogue flying monkey in the woods. Take him out before he can eat your face!
I love your stage descriptions !