The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 04, 2018, 12:08   #1
BarnOwlLover
Registered

FALaholic #: 81552
Favorite firearms myths and urban legends

This isn't a gun politics thread, but rather one about myths and urban legends portrayed in the media, like films, books, video games, etc.

Two of my favorites are from the video game Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (not to be confused with the new Hitman 2 that's due out this month). The first is the PSM pistol (called the 5.45mm pistol or .54 pistol depending on the info box). It's portrayed in the game (and other media) as Spetnaz/KGB assassination weapon. However, as Ian from Forgotten Weapons did a video on, it's a little more mundane than that.

It was actually essentially a baby Makarov pistol for issue to Generals and other high ranking officers and personnel who needed a compact weapon. Think Walther PP vs PPK, aside from the fact that the smaller PPK was available in the same calibers as its bigger brother, while the PSM fires a 5.45 round designed to be superior in performance to the .25 ACP.

How it gets its penetrative power is that it fires a small-caliber jacketed bullet at a moderately high velocity. Similar to the 7.63 Mauser/7.62 Tokarev round being a small, jacketed, high velocity bullet.

Another is the prevalence of the AKSU in the game. In AK terms, it was built in very small numbers. It's certainly rarer in Afghanistan than it's portrayed in H2: SA (you have to remember that the game was released about a year after 9/11, so stages featuring Agent 47 taking on Al Quida/the Taliaban probably shouldn't be a surprise).

In real life, the AKSU also wasn't as popular as portrayed with the Russians/Soviets, either. The AKS-74 and the later AK-74M were more popular with special forces, even though they had the standard 16.3 inch barrel.

So, what are some of your favorite weird or untrue urban legends about firearms?
BarnOwlLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2018, 12:15   #2
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
One of the most prevalent myths is how a 44 mag can supposedly knock over a train or some other such stupidity.

I can tell you that whitetail deer have not watched those TV shows and are not especially impressed with a 44 mag hit.
Old November 04, 2018, 12:26   #3
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
______ will blow through the engine block of a car. https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box...-engine-block/

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.

If you ask the government for a permit, you are admitting that you don't have a right.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2018, 12:37   #4
TedMckay
Registered

FALaholic #: 76858
I love the westerns when a guy is holding a double barrel break down shotgun and when he points it at the bad guy you here the pump of a mossberg lol
Old November 04, 2018, 12:53   #5
12v71
Registered

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMANPBK View Post
______ will blow through the engine block of a car. https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box...-engine-block/
Anymore it seems that if you can disable the air conditioning, most drivers are done.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2018, 13:09   #6
medicmike
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
An old "favorite" of mine that I still hear occasionally was that the 7.62x39 AK was designed to and will chamber and fire a 5.56 for expedient ammo.

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2018, 13:45   #7
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
M16's by their modern design do not need to be cleaned.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2018, 13:54   #8
CGSteve
Registered

FALaholic #: 72371
1) You don't need to aim a shotgun
2) From movies, a shotgun blast looks like you threw a bowling ball through whatever was shot
3) Oldtimer HD "tactic"/mindset, use a shotgun, just rack it and the sound will scare away the offenders
4) Another dinosaur belief concerning ballistics- you can't use an AR/M4 type carbine for HD because if you miss you'll shoot your neighbor at the end of the block

I might catch flak for some of those.
CGSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2018, 14:01   #9
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Argentine 1911s are made from steel from the Bizmark.
Old November 04, 2018, 14:06   #10
TedMckay
Registered

Glass bedded mosin sniper rifles sub moa 1000 yard guns.

Fill in the blank with any pistol - - this is my grizzly protection for my trip to Alaska.
Old November 04, 2018, 14:07   #11
TedMckay
Registered

Custom glocks.
Old November 04, 2018, 15:46   #12
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
James Bond shooting bad guys 50 yards away with a Walthar PPK.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2018, 15:49   #13
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Glocks never jam.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2018, 15:56   #14
okiefarmer
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 3248
That gun ain't loaded, I checked.
Old November 04, 2018, 17:47   #15
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
A guy came in the shop I work at and told me the history of the .50 AE Desert Eagle. His story is that it was developed by the Israelis so that individuals could carry a concealed weapon that could shoot down helicopters.

Another customer told me that gun shot deer will will stuff grass in their wounds to stop the bleeding. Claims he had seen it first hand - more like gut shot deer leaking grass that it just ate.
Old November 04, 2018, 18:07   #16
snowhawk jockey
Registered

FALaholic #: 14239
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmike View Post
An old "favorite" of mine that I still hear occasionally was that the 7.62x39 AK was designed to and will chamber and fire a 5.56 for expedient ammo.
I recently had a Nam vet, "who liked to carry one during LLRPs", assure me that myth wasnt true. His claim was it was "that big AK, with a scope ( 7.62 x 54r Draganov), which could chamber and fire a 7.62x51." On a side note, the guys in his camp freaked while repelling an attack, when he was returning fire with it. Its sound and tracer color were "all wrong" and they thought the wire had been overrun. He almost got his azz shot off. Was the last time he was allowed to check it out of the armory.
Old November 04, 2018, 18:14   #17
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Glocks never blow up .
Fixed it for ya',,,,
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2018, 18:38   #18
wolfspotter1
Registered

FALaholic #: 64473
50 BMG bullets can sear skin if the bullet passes by within inches. The following shock wave will kill instantly.
wolfspotter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2018, 18:54   #19
snowhawk jockey
Registered

FALaholic #: 14239
Blow them back out the door with that there 12ga.
Old November 04, 2018, 19:05   #20
TedMckay
Registered

You can’t shoot .308 rounds in a 7.62x51 battle rifle. I hear that constantly.
Old November 04, 2018, 19:09   #21
TedMckay
Registered

It’s a vet bring back look at the blood stains on the barrel. Then Point out century arms import mark on underside of barrel
Old November 04, 2018, 20:25   #22
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I have one from the old Western shows and movies, and not the never-have-to-reload sixguns they seem to have. It is when they gas someone and then just ride off leaving the dead guys guns and gear. Or better yet they bury the gunfight loser and drape his gunbelt, including his pistola, over a crude cross. No way anybody left perfectly good guns & gear behind.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2018, 22:53   #23
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Gut shots, are always fatal!

Of course when that was used more often, a small splinter in your index finger was often fatal.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2018, 23:27   #24
TedMckay
Registered

Black talons
Old November 04, 2018, 23:38   #25
chino*74
Registered

FALaholic #: 75409
Fanning SAAs in any western...LOL, fastest way to tear up a perfectly good six shooter. In real life people do it as well. Only way that works is to have the entire insides redone for fanning...by a custom pistol smith. $$$
Old November 04, 2018, 23:56   #26
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Suppressed revolvers; especially if the can simply pushes onto the barrel and is a convenient pocket sized item.

fhhht! fhhht!
Old November 05, 2018, 02:44   #27
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
German P38's with chrome plating were specially made for the U-Boat service to prevent rusting while at sea. I was told this by a gun show dealer.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2018, 06:52   #28
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Speaking of gun show dealers...
I had one tell me that the Springfield Armory M1A he was selling was the same manufacturer as the Garands and 1903's that won the US 2 world wars,,,,
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2018, 08:01   #29
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
Argentine 1911s are made from steel from the Bizmark.
Of course that's not true. The steel came from the Graf Spee which was scuttled in the River Plate between Argentina and Uruguay.
Old November 05, 2018, 12:16   #30
BarnOwlLover
Registered

FALaholic #: 81552
Another one from movies and games and the like is how effective silencers/suppressors are.

They're only really effective with subsonic ammo, as the suppressor doesn't kill off the supersonic bullet crack. Also, they don't muffle the action of a semi-auto/full auto weapon cycling.

This is something that basically everyone here knows, but gets perpetuated in the media, such as films and such, let alone the mainstream media.
BarnOwlLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2018, 12:30   #31
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
.223 bullets that tumble end over end and are more lethal then regular bullets.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2018, 13:38   #32
cwo4uscgret
Registered

FALaholic #: 19025
Pump Shotguns...

@ CGSteve - in the Mid-1980s Coast Guard Law Enforcement Doctrine did consider "racking" the slide on a shotgun (and chambering a round) as a "warning shot". This was taught at the Coast Guard PACAREA Maritime LE School on the campus of Modesto Junior College.

Of course the doctrine also mandated that a "cocked and locked" with an empty chamber was the proper way to carry a 1911A1. We were supposed to wait for the Boarding Officer to tell us when to chamber a round too! How stupid is that?
cwo4uscgret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2018, 14:44   #33
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
The legendary East Texas Sh!tstained Wh@re Militia armed with Ruger 10/22 Sniper platforms, providing suppressive fire at 300+ yards. They were professionallly trained by a former “contractor” with a highly classified Brit firm that guarded the opium trade routes throughout many unspeakable places.

Old November 05, 2018, 14:45   #34
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo4uscgret View Post
@ CGSteve - in the Mid-1980s Coast Guard Law Enforcement Doctrine did consider "racking" the slide on a shotgun (and chambering a round) as a "warning shot". This was taught at the Coast Guard PACAREA Maritime LE School on the campus of Modesto Junior College.

Of course the doctrine also mandated that a "cocked and locked" with an empty chamber was the proper way to carry a 1911A1. We were supposed to wait for the Boarding Officer to tell us when to chamber a round too! How stupid is that?
Been there done that!
Old November 05, 2018, 16:14   #35
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
The legendary East Texas Sh!tstained Wh@re Militia :
Technically, they were dancers not wh@res but I'm glad you're still around to keep institutional memory from going swirley-swirely down the Memory Hole.
Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2018, 20:29   #36
CGSteve
Registered

FALaholic #: 72371
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo4uscgret View Post

Despite the "CG" in my username, I was not in the Coast Guard. I believe you on that, however that has nothing to do with HD or what one should do in that situation. I believe it was/is stupid and it is something the military did as a way to mitigate NDs with the vast majority of servicemen only receiving training a few times of the year and being mostly unfamiliar with weapons handling.

Another general myth that many civilians believe is that just because someone served in the military or is/was in LE, they can shoot well and or know about firearms, when in reality it means jack shit and is wholly dependent on MOS.

As a former semi POG (field artillery MOS) in the Marines, I am kind of an example of that. I will never forget firearms safety because of the Marines, and while I was taught basic fundamentals of marksmanship, I will say that I did not become a better shooter until years later when I went into LE and attended an advanced carbine course (I didn't carry the M4 in the Marines though).
CGSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2018, 21:29   #37
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
The legendary East Texas Sh!tstained Wh@re Militia armed with Ruger 10/22 Sniper platforms, providing suppressive fire at 300+ yards. They were professionallly trained by a former “contractor” with a highly classified Brit firm that guarded the opium trade routes throughout many unspeakable places.

Ah, memories...

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2018, 21:52   #38
medicmike
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
A tampon is a good dressing for a GSW.

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2018, 22:59   #39
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
A guy came in the shop I work at and told me the history of the .50 AE Desert Eagle. His story is that it was developed by the Israelis so that individuals could carry a concealed weapon that could shoot down helicopters.
The US Army had the 1911 for that already. Also good against tanks. And those thingies from the movie Tremmors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Suppressed revolvers; especially if the can simply pushes onto the barrel and is a convenient pocket sized item.
You heard that, Nagant revolver? Suppressed Revolvers are myth.

Don't forget the "All Commie rifles are 4 moa rifles at best."

Last edited by raubvogel; November 06, 2018 at 07:34.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2018, 23:26   #40
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
I don't know if this fits here, but here goes: If every one that I have met who claimed to be a Marine sniper in Vietnam actually were, then every Satellite photo of the Ho Chi Mihn trail would have looked like a giant hairy caterpillar.
Old November 05, 2018, 23:54   #41
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGSteve View Post
Another general myth that many civilians believe is that just because someone served in the military or is/was in LE, they can shoot well and or know about firearms, when in reality it means jack shit and is wholly dependent on MOS.

As a former semi POG (field artillery MOS) in the Marines, I am kind of an example of that. I will never forget firearms safety because of the Marines, and while I was taught basic fundamentals of marksmanship, I will say that I did not become a better shooter until years later when I went into LE and attended an advanced carbine course (I didn't carry the M4 in the Marines though).
Oh My G-d all of this...
Some of the dumbest Gun folks I have met or know are Cops
I could blow out a truly epic post on this, a small novel really

Military ?
often absolute idiots
Can't tell you how many times I heard some Vietnam vet blathering about their "SIXTY CAL" they humped in the jungle
Yeah, M60 you doofus

serious stupid shit is it becomes engrained in culture

last night 60 Minutes was going on about 5.56mm tumbling in flesh
not these days
that has not been a factor since the 1x14 twist back on the 1st guns
another was the round "exploded" flesh
fuktards need to wake up to what 7.62 Nato does to their idiot gelatin blocks

another was the Soviet 5.45mm "poison bullet"
or as posted earlier the BLACK TALON

Oh you guys well get wood on this one
Late 80s Chief Tony Bouza of Minneapolis was on the tube there
he would hold his fist up slowly opening it while explaining Black Talon had fingers that opened to shred their way through Police armor

I actually called him out at a Saint Paul show a couple months later
told him "You are one dumb Cocksucker and I don't want you anywhere near my tables"
Did it loudly too
was actually threatened by a member of his entourage, "Fukk you too, arrest me punk"
They made an immediate exit of the building

Now I accept some think I'm full of shit
I am all cool with that
Others here have met me, know I am one twisted peckerwood.

Few years after that some piggie found a half box of Black Talon in a traffic stop near the airport...asstards actually shut down two highways, brought out the bomb disposal team
all over the evening news like it was some damn explosive device.

WCCO was big on gun investigative reports
I called in and bitched all the time

was always told officer so & so is an "expert"

The classic was when WCCO staged an undercover gun buy in the Lake Phalen park. So cash gets passed & a paper sack...fade out
Fade in...back in the studio so "expert" pork nozzle is cradling a CVA percussion Kentucky partially built .45 PERCUSSON single shot muzzle loading pistol kit.. No trigger or guard.

That expert commented how dangerous a weapon it was pointing the .45 bore in the face of the camera encouraging the legislature to DO SOMETHING

remember this was in the late 1980s, some thirty damn years ago.
some suburban police chief "expert" from Eagan or Edina
too much, I moved to Fargo ND within the next month
I was sick of living there

Today we sometimes see Milfaggots doing the same shit on CNN or MSNBC
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2018, 00:23   #42
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwlLover View Post
This isn't a gun politics thread, but rather one about myths and urban legends portrayed in the media, like films, books, video games, etc.

Two of my favorites are from the video game Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (not to be confused with the new Hitman 2 that's due out this month). The first is the PSM pistol (called the 5.45mm pistol or .54 pistol depending on the info box). It's portrayed in the game (and other media) as Spetnaz/KGB assassination weapon. However, as Ian from Forgotten Weapons did a video on, it's a little more mundane than that.

It was actually essentially a baby Makarov pistol for issue to Generals and other high ranking officers and personnel who needed a compact weapon. Think Walther PP vs PPK, aside from the fact that the smaller PPK was available in the same calibers as its bigger brother, while the PSM fires a 5.45 round designed to be superior in performance to the .25 ACP.

How it gets its penetrative power is that it fires a small-caliber jacketed bullet at a moderately high velocity. Similar to the 7.63 Mauser/7.62 Tokarev round being a small, jacketed, high velocity bullet.

Another is the prevalence of the AKSU in the game. In AK terms, it was built in very small numbers. It's certainly rarer in Afghanistan than it's portrayed in H2: SA (you have to remember that the game was released about a year after 9/11, so stages featuring Agent 47 taking on Al Quida/the Taliaban probably shouldn't be a surprise).

In real life, the AKSU also wasn't as popular as portrayed with the Russians/Soviets, either. The AKS-74 and the later AK-74M were more popular with special forces, even though they had the standard 16.3 inch barrel.

So, what are some of your favorite weird or untrue urban legends about firearms?
Ian get's to touch neat things, overall he pretty much an internet fueled idiot Barn Owl

Yeah PSMs were developed for Officer carry
a decent corollary would be our issuing .32 Colts for the same duty
Later PSMs were issued to GRU, police, etc.
mostly undercover types

Owned two, one came with a decent lot of ammo

my opinion they're mostly the same as the old .22 Wasp .32acp wild cat from the 70s
talk to me regarding Stechkins
we have a convo
PSMs are unique but ghey

AKSUs were mostly tanker guns
those baby AK74s were adapted by GRU and other agencies as concealment guns
Ever since the 1st pix of Osama in the caves with his AKSU with the 45rd 5.45 RPK mag they went iconic
sheer American gaming dumbassery.

Stechkins saw far more action than the silly PSM
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2018, 07:33   #43
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
Of course that's not true. The steel came from the Graf Spee which was scuttled in the River Plate between Argentina and Uruguay.
Okay then the Norwegian 1911s are made from the steel of the Bizmart.
Old November 06, 2018, 07:41   #44
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Oh My G-d all of this...
Some of the dumbest Gun folks I have met or know are Cops
I could blow out a truly epic post on this, a small novel really
A Marine friend of mine likes to say there is Idiot Proof and then there is Marine Proof. One of those requirements covers the other; you decide which one is which.

Last edited by raubvogel; November 06, 2018 at 09:38. Reason: Grammer iz hurd
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2018, 08:27   #45
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
The Second Amendment is about hunting.

*unless bureaucrats and politicos are being sought out for elimination, then maybe...

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2018, 08:45   #46
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
I do notice that the stories about how unreliable an AR15 supposedly is have died down, but I still hear these every two or three gun shows:

Lugers / p38s / k98s = This belonged to a guy whos father was in Pattons protective detail and picked it up off of a dead SS officer (or similar battlefield story)

Browning Auto5 shotguns "kick like a mule". And the outside of the magazine tube needs to be well lubricated otherwise it will jam.

A GI 1911 pistol is so loose it "can't hit the broadside of a barn"

Carrying any caliber below .45 can get you killed in a gun fight

A new one that popped up in recent years is that all Remington 700s made in the last 25 years are crap and the worst possible bolt action rifle you can buy.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; November 06, 2018 at 08:54.
Impala_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2018, 10:01   #47
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
Okay then the Norwegian 1911s are made from the steel of the Bizmart.
Maybe the Tirpitz?

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2018, 10:25   #48
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Maybe the Tirpitz?
Every German ship is the Bizmart.
Old November 06, 2018, 11:59   #49
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
Red Rider BB gun, “You’ll shoot your eye out.”
Larry
Old November 06, 2018, 20:03   #50
VAplinker
Registered

FALaholic #: 78941
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfspotter1 View Post
50 BMG bullets can sear skin if the bullet passes by within inches. The following shock wave will kill instantly.
We had some geeky army intel weenie tell this to a group of Marines. Makes you question the ASVAB.
VAplinker is online now   Reply With Quote