The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old May 20, 2020, 23:17   #1
Deathstar24
Registered

FALaholic #: 84141
Status of new FAL receivers available in 2020

Hi guys, Been doing a lot of research and watched the Gunplumber and AGI Fal vids and been researching receiver companies since. I have 3 Imbel barreled parts kits with lots of light finish wear that look barely shot on the inside and barrels that im wanting to build. Scored em for $1700 shipped(high price but itll be fun and fals run $1400+each around here). I know a major issue with FAL receivers is alot of people have made junk at one time or another, and or, never made a truly good one.

From what it looks like after reading all of the threads, DSA is the only name in the game for any new ones as well...and everytime they come back in stock they sell out near instantly the last few times ive tried to nab one. So since others might also be searching i figured id make this and get a tab on who makes them, has made them, and when they quit

From Mark(Gunplumbers) website is this quote too..... "ARS will only work with IMBEL (Brazil), DGFM-FMAP (Argentine), other licensed FN receivers, DSA , or Coonan. ARS will not work on the low quality products from Hesse/Vulcan Arms, Olympic Arms, Williams Arms Company, Century Arms International, Entreprise Arms (some early ABNI marked exceptions), or DPMS." And that alone paints a picture of who to stay away from seeing as Mark is the master to most people and one of the few famed builders left!

If any of these dates/facts are skewed or need work, or if any makers are not listed, please set me straight so i can update this list! These dont include NOS or used stuff floating around

-ABNI- Decent but out of business before 2014
-Century Arms/CAI-Some of these were Imbel, some were
--Coonan- Large quality problems by 2016 and quit in 2018 ish
--DCI- not many out there but were supposed to be nice
--DSA- Current leader in production as of 2020 it seems, and maybe the only place in town! But beware of some as according to Gunplumber in a thread "The 2016-2018 and the voyager line, were complete garbage (That DSA sold, knowing they were defective..."
--DPMS- only a couple hundred made, supposedly by Olympic Arms, and werent very good. Quit before 2002
--Enterprise- Long gone before 2009
--FMAP-out of business
--Imbel gear logo-Gone as of 2006 from what i can tell, but were some of the best
--Hesse/Vulcan arms- Name changed from hesse to vulcan by like 2005 and later out of business as Vulcan in like 2012
--Olympic- Out of Business before 2005
Deathstar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020, 23:25   #2
Thundermaker
Registered

FALaholic #: 72520
The imbels that century imported will be marked as such.

I just built an imbel kit on a new DSA forged receiver. Everything went together without issue. I'm just waiting on a locking shoulder, and I'll be headed to the range for testing.

I can't comment on the DSA cast receivers, but they have 4 types in stock right now. At least they did earlier today.
Thundermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020, 23:29   #3
kcinnick
Registered

FALaholic #: 71291
DSA receivers are not as hard to get as I once believed. You just have to do the notification game and be prepared to go buy it once you get it. Some styles sell out faster than others, but they are not unobtanium.
kcinnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020, 23:29   #4
Deathstar24
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
The imbels that century imported will be marked as such.

I just built an imbel kit on a new DSA forged receiver. Everything went together without issue. I'm just waiting on a locking shoulder, and I'll be headed to the range for testing.

I can't comment on the DSA cast receivers, but they have 4 types in stock right now. At least they did earlier today.
Ive heard that the 2019 and newer ones have been assembling well for kit builders, and a buddy bought 2 of the cheapest cast ones they had in stock the other day and he said they timed up nice on the barrel. He hasnt finished them or test fired but said they looked good so im going that way soon i think. Plus they may be the only choice for a new and not overpriced 15 year old one lol
Old May 21, 2020, 00:36   #5
Deathstar24
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
DSA receivers are not as hard to get as I once believed. You just have to do the notification game and be prepared to go buy it once you get it. Some styles sell out faster than others, but they are not unobtanium.
Yep i have notifications on but go to sleep about 2 hours before they end up sending them out so theyre usually gone by then (minus the ones they still have currently) but i dont have the money yet for one that i can drop.... that went to a great deal on a luger, tavor, and m1 garand package taking up that cash lol. While seeing which were still up i was wondering if anyone else had made any and had them currently
Old May 21, 2020, 00:38   #6
Thundermaker
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstar24 View Post
Yep i have notifications on but go to sleep about 2 hours before they end up sending them out so theyre usually gone by then (minus the ones they still have currently) but i dont have the money yet for one that i can drop.... that went to a great deal on a luger, tavor, and m1 garand package taking up that cash lol. While seeing which were still up i was wondering if anyone else had made any and had them currently
Nope. DSA is the only one making them.
Old May 21, 2020, 02:02   #7
Deathstar24
Registered

Quote:
Nope. DSA is the only one making them.
Thats sad honestly. Seems like someone would have bought someones casting molds and a couple kits, and finish machined them correctly! Wish i had the expertise to do it
Old May 21, 2020, 04:46   #8
bigstick61
Registered

FALaholic #: 45299
IMBEL and FMAP both exist and have produced FALs or derivatives, and receivers for them, naturally, within the last few years (IMBEL currently for the 7.62mm IA2). They just aren't exporting anything commercially to the U.S. (are they even importable anymore, legally?).
bigstick61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 06:20   #9
Tattered
Registered FAL offender
Contributor

FALaholic #: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
They just aren't exporting anything commercially to the U.S. (are they even importable anymore, legally?).
Nope, not legal to import. 2004 I believe was the cutoff for imports of receivers and barrels. I'm sure if receivers were still legal they'd still be coming in and receiver prices would be more reasonable.
Tattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 07:07   #10
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
Quote:
Hi guys, Been doing a lot of research and watched the Gunplumber and AGI Fal vids and been researching receiver companies since. I have 3 Imbel barreled parts kits with lots of light finish wear that look barely shot on the inside and barrels that im wanting to build. Scored em for $1700 shipped(high price but itll be fun and fals run $1400+each around here). I know a major issue with FAL receivers is alot of people have made junk at one time or another, and or, never made a truly good one.

From what it looks like after reading all of the threads, DSA is the only name in the game for any new ones as well...and everytime they come back in stock they sell out near instantly the last few times ive tried to nab one. So since others might also be searching i figured id make this and get a tab on who makes them, has made them, and when they quit

From Mark(Gunplumbers) website is this quote too..... "ARS will only work with IMBEL (Brazil), DGFM-FMAP (Argentine), other licensed FN receivers, DSA , or Coonan. ARS will not work on the low quality products from Hesse/Vulcan Arms, Olympic Arms, Williams Arms Company, Century Arms International, Entreprise Arms (some early ABNI marked exceptions), or DPMS." And that alone paints a picture of who to stay away from seeing as Mark is the master to most people and one of the few famed builders left!

If any of these dates/facts are skewed or need work, or if any makers are not listed, please set me straight so i can update this list! These dont include NOS or used stuff floating around

-ABNI- Decent but out of business before 2014
-Century Arms/CAI-Some of these were Imbel, some were
--Coonan- Large quality problems by 2016 and quit in 2018 ish
--DCI- not many out there but were supposed to be nice
--DSA- Current leader in production as of 2020 it seems, and maybe the only place in town! But beware of some as according to Gunplumber in a thread "The 2016-2018 and the voyager line, were complete garbage (That DSA sold, knowing they were defective..."
--DPMS- only a couple hundred made, supposedly by Olympic Arms, and werent very good. Quit before 2002
--Enterprise- Long gone before 2009
--FMAP-out of business
--Imbel gear logo-Gone as of 2006 from what i can tell, but were some of the best
--Hesse/Vulcan arms- Name changed from hesse to vulcan by like 2005 and later out of business as Vulcan in like 2012
--Olympic- Out of Business before 2005
Don't believe everything in print as gospel unless you understand it as only an opinion.
Old May 21, 2020, 07:31   #11
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
need to be sure you are differentiating between a company importing a good receiver and a company manufacturing a bad one.

CAI, Hesse, and EAI all imported the excellent IMBEL receiver, but their US-made receivers were crap (early EAI ok, later not so much).

Early Coonan (FAC) were ok - All Coonans are defective and require machining to correct, but it's minor.

middle Coonan 410k had manageable issue with overall length

many of the 500k were very bad - mag well, rail height - and all of the Brit cut suck.

I'd be cautious about buying any Coonan receiver because it is a gamble - Dan Coonan is a lowlife lying sack of shit con artist and wouldn't honor his warranty even before he stole everyone's money and closed his doors.

DSA there is no serial number consistency - later production with lower serial number. So it's hard to tell "when" something is from. But in general 2016-2018 are garbage. All 120?* of their inch pattern are known defective and they sold them anyway because it's The Chicago Way!

2019 production starting with Israeli has been pretty good. They fixed all the problems I published, while endlessly slandering me and pretending there were none. ( It's The Chicago Way!) Yet they'd modified the receivers to work around the defects, so it's kindof hard to pretend they didn't know about them.

They also have the lowlife, lying sack of shit DakTo as their shill, to spew his endless slanders against me - whenever I pointed out a problem with a DSA product. But everyone knows he's a lying sack of shit, and he's so completely discredited that nobody pays him any mind. I just don't understand why he hasn't been banned.

Current DSA, both forged and cast, all versions - G1, R1, Israeli, etc - They still have some dimensional defect manifesting in lockup and causing the rifles to shoot extremely low. Which DSA knows and apparently has no interest in correcting. But as long as you're okay making a custom rear sight to get them to zero, or a super stubby front sight, it's okay.

*I've built the range of SLR 014 to SLR 102

Last edited by gunplumber; May 21, 2020 at 08:13.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 10:52   #12
Thundermaker
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Current DSA, both forged and cast, all versions - G1, R1, Israeli, etc - They still have some dimensional defect manifesting in lockup and causing the rifles to shoot extremely low. Which DSA knows and apparently has no interest in correcting. But as long as you're okay making a custom rear sight to get them to zero, or a super stubby front sight, it's ok.
That ain't good. We'll see if mine does it, that is if they ever ship out my locking shoulder.
Old May 21, 2020, 12:01   #13
Scout10
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 80494
Pacific Armament still has "good" receivers available as NOS.
Scout10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 12:08   #14
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout10 View Post
Pacific Armament still has "good" receivers available as NOS.
Do you mean PARS? PAC has been out since 2006(?)
Old May 21, 2020, 16:29   #15
Deathstar24
Registered

Quote:
IMBEL and FMAP both exist and have produced FALs or derivatives, and receivers for them, naturally, within the last few years (IMBEL currently for the 7.62mm IA2). They just aren't exporting anything commercially to the U.S. (are they even importable anymore, legally?).

Yeah available to the average person as a new semi auto bare receiver is what i mean
Old May 21, 2020, 16:31   #16
Deathstar24
Registered

Quote:
need to be sure you are differentiating between a company importing a good receiver and a company manufacturing a bad one.

CAI, Hesse, and EAI all imported the excellent IMBEL receiver, but their US-made receivers were crap (early EAI ok, later not so much).

Early Coonan (FAC) were ok - All Coonans are defective and require machining to correct, but it's minor.

many of the 500k were very bad - mag well, rail height - and all of the Brit cut suck.

I'd be cautious about buying any Coonan receiver because it is a gamble - Dan Coonan is a lowlife lying sack of shit con artist and wouldn't honor his warranty even before he stole everyone's money and closed his doors.

DSA there is no serial number consistency - later production with lower serial number. So it's hard to tell "when" something is from. But in general 2016-2018 are garbage. All 120?* of their inch pattern are known defective and they sold them anyway because it's The Chicago Way!

2019 production starting with Israeli has been pretty good. They fixed all the problems I published, while endlessly slandering me and pretending there were none. ( It's The Chicago Way!) Yet they'd modified the receivers to work around the defects, so it's kindof hard to pretend they didn't know about them.

They also have the lowlife, lying sack of shit DakTo as their shill, to spew his endless slanders against me - whenever I pointed out a problem with a DSA product. But everyone knows he's a lying sack of shit, and he's so completely discredited that nobody pays him any mind. I just don't understand why he hasn't been banned.

Current DSA, both forged and cast, all versions - G1, R1, Israeli, etc - They still have some dimensional defect manifesting in lockup and causing the rifles to shoot extremely low. Which DSA knows and apparently has no interest in correcting. But as long as you're okay making a custom rear sight to get them to zero, or a super stubby front sight, it's okay.

Thank you for the clarification Mark. Im new to these but figured if i was too, then someone out there may want to build one around this time. Especially since i saw a few more imbel kit groups come up recently too from guys that had them laying around and the guy i got mine from sold at least another 7
Old May 21, 2020, 16:33   #17
Deathstar24
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakTo View Post
Don't believe everything in print as gospel unless you understand it as only an opinion.
Shhhh DakTo, i may be new to join but ive been lurking for a while and ive already seen enough of your fact denial to know id trust Mark and others more.

Last edited by Deathstar24; May 21, 2020 at 17:34.
Old May 21, 2020, 19:19   #18
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Shhhh DakTo, i may be new to join but ive been lurking for a while and ive already seen enough of your fact denial to know id trust Mark and others more.
Personally, I don't believe you have been lurking around here long enough to establish what the past timeline of facts are.
How many DSA receivers from series #34000-#36000 (2016-18) have you purchased and built?
I guess adding another parrot to the flock is acceptable.

Ask the Gunplumber how many DSA receivers he has purchased in the last 10 years?
Old May 21, 2020, 19:38   #19
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Ask the Gunplumber how many DSA receivers he has purchased in the last 10 years?
Zero from DSA

Not counting guns I bought second hand to strip for parts.

But I've built 348 from 1/1/2010 to today.

Another set of records for the 20 years before that.
Old May 22, 2020, 01:31   #20
Ramman61
Registered

FALaholic #: 83960
Quote:

Is there a way for you to fix that new dsa problem? my plan was to buy a dsa r1 for my rhodie build but reading this kinda upsets me and my plans.
Ramman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 07:22   #21
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

No, there is no fix.

Sanding on the underside of the hinge area will prevent damage to the dust plate. And a little light filing on the front face of the rear lug if it's binding there. But whatever it is that has the receiver lock up at the incorrect vertical plane, can't be "fixed " after the fact. You either need to use a stubby front sight, or make a custom rear sight that is taller than factory.
Old May 22, 2020, 07:36   #22
aardq
Registered

FALaholic #: 18645
Hi Mark, Then what receiver would you recommend for a Rhodie build? What receiver for am Imbel kit build? Imbel? Thanks
aardq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 08:12   #23
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardq View Post
Hi Mark, Then what receiver would you recommend for a Rhodie build? What receiver for am Imbel kit build? Imbel? Thanks
IMBEL for any build where receiver quality is more important than historical accuracy.

DSA Is the only other choice right now for a type 1 or 2. It's not going to blow up or anything, and they have mostly fixed the problems from the 2016-2018 crap - why it took me shaming them for two years to make it happen, I don't know.

And they seem to be finally taking my advice and putting the markings in the mag well, so there is more opportunity to correctly mark receivers for historical replicas.
Old May 22, 2020, 08:32   #24
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
Quote:
No, there is no fix.

Sanding on the underside of the hinge area will prevent damage to the dust plate. And a little light filing on the front face of the rear lug if it's binding there. But whatever it is that has the receiver lock up at the incorrect vertical plane, can't be "fixed " after the fact. You either need to use a stubby front sight, or make a custom rear sight that is taller than factory.

Would a tall Argy sight work or (maybe) a -3 front sight post ?
I'm thinking an 18" Argy Para but would it work for other variants per RAMMAN61 needs ?
Grahamneall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 08:42   #25
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Quote:
Personally, I don't believe you have been lurking around here long enough to establish what the past timeline of facts are.
How many DSA receivers from series #34000-#36000 (2016-18) have you purchased and built?

He called as he sees it and you DEFLECT,DENY and DISPARAGE others when they don't fall all over themselves singing your praises and thanking you profusely for your words of profound knowledge!
Old May 22, 2020, 09:22   #26
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamneall View Post
[/B]

Would a tall Argy sight work or (maybe) a -3 front sight post ?
I'm thinking an 18" Argy Para but would it work for other variants per RAMMAN61 needs ?
All of the Israelis that came with +3 or +4 front sights, needed -1, -2, -3, or my custom-made -4 front sights. One needed a custom-made taller rear sight as my custom-made -4 front sight was still hitting 4" low at 25.

These were all OFF THE PAPER (8.5x11) low at 25yds with the original +3 or +4 front.
Old May 22, 2020, 09:34   #27
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
Quote:
All of the Israelis that came with +3 or +4 front sights, needed -1, -2, -3, or my custom-made -4 front sights. One needed a custom-made taller rear sight as my custom-made -4 front sight was still hitting 4" low at 25.

These were all OFF THE PAPER (8.5x11) low at 25yds with the original +3 or +4 front.
What type of Sights are you 'cusomizing' ?
Grahamneall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 09:41   #28
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamneall View Post
What type of Sights are you 'cusomizing' ?
front sights are just regular Israeli front sights that I chuck up in a hand drill and "carve" to a shorter base and cone, using the side of a Dremel cut-off wheel, and finishing with a small file.

Rear sight is a regular rear sight blade, I cut off at the center of the peep, and machine the sides flat. Take a piece of 1/8" flat stock and cut a slot in it so I have a box or rabbit type joint. Silver solder and then shape and drill the new peep (the hardest part) slightly higher than a regular Israeli.
Old May 22, 2020, 10:08   #29
Thundermaker
Registered

I think I may have figured out why they're shooting low. I need to get to the range and do some experimentation. If I find something conclusive, I'll write it up.
Old May 22, 2020, 14:35   #30
Ramman61
Registered

Quote:
I think I may have figured out why they're shooting low. I need to get to the range and do some experimentation. If I find something conclusive, I'll write it up.
I'm interested to find out why this is kinda ridiculous they are the only receiver maker here now and they can't even get them to shoot straight
Old May 22, 2020, 14:57   #31
Thundermaker
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramman61 View Post
I'm interested to find out why this is kinda ridiculous they are the only receiver maker here now and they can't even get them to shoot straight
I don't want to get anybody's hopes up. It's just a hypothesis at this point. Just keep an eye out. I'm going to try to get to the range next weekend.
Old May 22, 2020, 15:29   #32
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
What does one have to do with the other?
Old May 22, 2020, 17:37   #33
Deathstar24
Registered

Quote:

Theres not that many posts here to literally not be able to read them ALL, especially for someone who has been on forums for 15 years and who has been lurking HERE for nearly a year. Within many of those posts Mark made of blatant issues...you decided to say he and many others who were seeing the same thing, (while you had not even had experience with them) were lying and or were wrong about the issues. Thats a verifiable fact(which you seem to ignore) according to your posts.

Either way, yours and his beef had NOT A THING to do with my original post, and you decided to play keyboard warrior right away the first time you saw his name. Which is not only unneccesary, buiit childish as hell... So BYE

Last edited by Deathstar24; May 22, 2020 at 17:43.
Old May 22, 2020, 17:52   #34
Ramman61
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
What does one have to do with the other?
dsa makes the only decently priced receivers and us young guys haven't been in the game long enough to have older imbel ones cheapest imbel I could find was in a bidding war at 750 I think. Plus I wanted an r1 type receiver for my Rhodie parts kit so I really only have one choice. I want to be able to take my fal out to 600 yards but if its shooting extremely low at 25 yards like gun plumber said that kinda makes things complicated.
Old May 22, 2020, 18:50   #35
bigstick61
Registered

FALaholic #: 45299
Quote:
dsa makes the only decently priced receivers and us young guys haven't been in the game long enough to have older imbel ones cheapest imbel I could find was in a bidding war at 750 I think. Plus I wanted an r1 type receiver for my Rhodie parts kit so I really only have one choice. I want to be able to take my fal out to 600 yards but if its shooting extremely low at 25 yards like gun plumber said that kinda makes things complicated.
What type of Rhodie parts kit do you have? Only the R1s used the South African style Type 1.5.
bigstick61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 19:33   #36
Ramman61
Registered

Quote:
What type of Rhodie parts kit do you have? Only the R1s used the South African style Type 1.5.
its all south African 200k sn range
Old May 23, 2020, 08:37   #37
enbloc8
Registered

FALaholic #: 51665
Quote:
its all south African 200k sn range
There were some very early 200K range rifles that were virtual duplicates of the FN contract rifles (they were substantially made with FN parts), and would require a Type 1 receiver to be correct...but we're talking like 204K range. What's the S/N on your lower?
enbloc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 11:44   #38
Ramman61
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by enbloc8 View Post
There were some very early 200K range rifles that were virtual duplicates of the FN contract rifles (they were substantially made with FN parts), and would require a Type 1 receiver to be correct...but we're talking like 204K range. What's the S/N on your lower?
Bolt, lower and barrel are 270k range and the carrier is 228k
Old May 23, 2020, 12:04   #39
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Theres not that many posts here to literally not be able to read them ALL, especially for someone who has been on forums for 15 years and who has been lurking HERE for nearly a year. Within many of those posts Mark made of blatant issues...you decided to say he and many others who were seeing the same thing, (while you had not even had experience with them) were lying and or were wrong about the issues. Thats a verifiable fact(which you seem to ignore) according to your posts.

Either way, yours and his beef had NOT A THING to do with my original post, and you decided to play keyboard warrior right away the first time you saw his name. Which is not only unneccesary, buiit childish as hell... So BYE
I have past building experience with every receiver DSA sold or made since 1990 with the exception of their British L1A1 receiver. You will also never find a post of mine where I called anyone a liar as I believe only in some statements and opinions as misinformation.

You are the one posting Gunplumbers text and promoting it where in the past I have pointed out some as misunformation and opinion which were not broadbased facts. I don't wish to reiiterate on what I know is misinformation on DSA receivers and I believe you do have the right to choose your champion in the avocation/vocation interest & FAL building.

BTW, there was never a Deathstar in the Starwars trilogy as it was properly called a "Battle Station."
LMK if you have any SW toys to trade.

Old May 23, 2020, 18:09   #40
farmer-dave
Registered

FALaholic #: 33571
My israeli rifle shot way low, I was hoping it was just a issue with it, but it sounds like all of the new dsa receivers are doing it, am I correct that if I pick up a type 3 it will most likely shoot way low also.
farmer-dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 18:29   #41
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer-dave View Post
My israeli rifle shot way low, I was hoping it was just a issue with it, but it sounds like all of the new dsa receivers are doing it, am I correct that if I pick up a type 3 it will most likely shoot way low also.
Not all. My Israeli doesn't do it nor does my recently acquired StG58 receiver. This seems to be limited to recent production Israeli engraved cast receivers.
Old May 23, 2020, 18:42   #42
Thundermaker
Registered

Quote:
Not all. My Israeli doesn't do it nor does my recently acquired StG58 receiver. This seems to be limited to recent production Israeli engraved cast receivers.
I've noticed that my new stg58 receiver has a filleted corner along the bottom where it makes with the lower. It didn't have much lug engagement on my imbel lower. I transferred all the internals from that lower into a DSA aluminum lower. The lever stopped at the same position as on the imbel, but I squeezed the upper into the lower by hand, and the lever now sits much lower. Since it has sat overnight, the outside edges of the lower are rounded slightly to match the fillet.

A steel lower doesn't have as much give. This would cause the receiver, barrel and all, to be pointed at a downward angle. If you're having problems with the gun shooting low, try bevelling the outside edges of the lower and see if the lever moves at all. It may solve your problem, I don't know. At the very least, the lockup will be more secure.
Old May 23, 2020, 18:51   #43
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I've noticed that my new stg58 receiver has a filleted corner along the bottom where it makes with the lower. It didn't have much lug engagement on my imbel lower. I transferred all the internals from that lower into a DSA aluminum lower. The lever stopped at the same position as on the imbel, but I squeezed the upper into the lower by hand, and the lever now sits much lower. Since it has sat overnight, the outside edges of the lower are rounded slightly to match the fillet.

A steel lower doesn't have as much give. This would cause the receiver, barrel and all, to be pointed at a downward angle. If you're having problems with the gun shooting low, try bevelling the outside edges of the lower and see if the lever moves at all. It may solve your problem, I don't know. At the very least, the lockup will be more secure.
You point out a problem some receivers have had in the past, I remember Coonans being bad about this.
Though it could contribute in some small amount to the problem I doubt it can be bad enough to keep the rounds off a sheet of paper at 25 yards. The receivers would have to be misaligned by something in the area of 3/16" to cause that and the problem would be glaringly obvious to the naked eye.
Personally I think there's something else or in addition to the issue you mentioned that's causing the biggest part of the issue.
Old May 23, 2020, 19:20   #44
Thundermaker
Registered

Quote:
You point out a problem some receivers have had in the past, I remember Coonans being bad about this.
Though it could contribute in some small amount to the problem I doubt it can be bad enough to keep the rounds off a sheet of paper at 25 yards. The receivers would have to be misaligned by something in the area of 3/16" to cause that and the problem would be glaringly obvious to the naked eye.
Personally I think there's something else or in addition to the issue you mentioned that's causing the biggest part of the issue.
If the receiver isn't locked up well and is pointed down, it could be that everything is springing down at the moment of firing. Bevelling those edges doesn't take long. It won't ruin anything, and it might save some custom work. It's worth a shot.

It could be that some of the receivers had the barrel hole drilled at a downward angle.

It's also possible that the receivers warped in the heat treatment. Large cast parts really should be stress relieved after they come out of the mold. You're pouring molten metal into a big heatsink after all.
Old May 24, 2020, 08:44   #45
Alpha-17
Registered

FALaholic #: 62082
Quote:
BTW, there was never a Deathstar in the Starwars trilogy as it was properly called a "Battle Station."
Not to be that guy, but yes, it was called the Death Star, not only in the open crawl but also in dialogue from the films.

And now back to actual FAL content.
Alpha-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 09:04   #46
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
Not to be that guy, but yes, it was called the Death Star, not only in the open crawl but also in dialogue from the films.

And now back to actual FAL content.
You don't know dakto very well, do you. He'll refute your evidence, tell you that it's only one man's opinion, double down on his position, and well, you get the idea.
Old May 24, 2020, 09:18   #47
Alpha-17
Registered

FALaholic #: 62082
Quote:
You don't know dakto very well, do you. He'll refute your evidence, tell you that it's only one man's opinion, double down on his position, and well, you get the idea.
Yeah, can't say that I do, no, though that's par for the course of internet arguments. Oh well.

Its mentioned enough in the films, let alone in lore, that I can prove what a colossal geek I am by arguing it though. Kinda off-topic for a thread on FAL receivers though.
Alpha-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 09:28   #48
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
in the past I have pointed out some as misunformation and opinion which were not broadbased facts. I don't wish to reiiterate on what I know is misinformation on DSA receivers and I believe you do have the right to choose your champion in the avocation/vocation interest & FAL building.
You are a liar, and a fraud.

I prove with controvertible evidence, the defects I cite. Photos, videos, and dozens of people across the country independently confirming my observations.

You experienced the same defects, but posted a picture of the receiver without a mag catch, to pretend the mag fits.

Quote:
Is there any subject on which you are not completely full of shit? Even a non SW nerd like myself immediately knew that to be a lie.

It's in the opening scene of SW- ANH "The death star plans are NOT in the main computer."

https://youtu.be/yPOG6VWg7Qw

It's in the crawl of of Empire Strikes Back

(second sentence! "Although the Death Star has been destroyed,....")

and Return of the Jedi, ("a new armored space station even more powerful than the first dreaded Death Star.")

and in the latter at least 5 times in the dialog.

My brother could recite the
entire script of SW and we'd pass the 6 hour drive to GPs house in the back of the station wagon, reenacting it.

Palpatine calls it "Battle Station" and General Tagge calls it "this station". But your assertion of it not being "Death Star" (and you being a subject matter expert) is patently false, as both the Empire and the Rebels referred to it as such. Because you are a liar and a fraud - apparently in everything you do.

Last edited by gunplumber; May 24, 2020 at 09:40.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 12:13   #49
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
That is not only funny, but I wonder where that unheard of voice came from. Good Try.

The first sighting was when Obi-Wan said: "That is not a moon it is a battle station.
Old May 24, 2020, 12:31   #50
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:

The first sighting was when Obi-Wan said: "That is not a moon it is a battle station.
And this means what, exactly?

Tags
receiver