Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old May 20, 2020, 13:33   #1
kroberts
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 9427
Undergassed??

So I had this DPMS M4-ish AR. It ran great but I hated the way it looked and bought the parts to tun it into one of those Dissipator rifles. I bought a new barrel with standard front sight base, new gas tube, and a new A2 buttstock package. I kept the DPMS receivers and BCG.

It wont run.

I'm no AR expert but it is acting like it's undergassed. It only throws the empties a couple feet, and it wont chamber a new round. The bolt will scoop one out of the magazine but it gets jammed up and doesn't make the transition into the chamber. Furthermore, the BCG isn't traveling far enough to engage the BHO. I had a second AR with me so I swapped BCGs, same outcome.

I was shooting Fiocchi 50gr soft point ammo. The range I visited doesn't allow FMJ.

This same ammo ran just fine in the AR pistol I had built and was also testing.

I'm looking for any advice the Illuminati can offer. Where to begin, what to look at.

T.I.A.
Old May 20, 2020, 15:16   #2
Thundermaker
Registered

FALaholic #: 72520
Do you have a standard rifle buffer system in it? Does it have a rifle length gas system?

Last edited by Thundermaker; May 20, 2020 at 15:22.
Thundermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020, 16:50   #3
kroberts
Registered
Bronze Contributor

RRA A2 Buttstock kit, black

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index....tegory_ID=1375

Del-Ton 16" Dissipator Barrel

https://www.del-ton.com/Del-Ton-Barrels-p/bl1017.htm

Last edited by kroberts; May 20, 2020 at 17:09.
kroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020, 17:46   #4
Thundermaker
Registered

Then yeah, it is undergassed. You've only got a couple inches of barrel past the gas port. There's not enough dwell time. They never worked well. That's why most "dissipators" these days use a carbine gas system with the gas block under the handguards. You'll have to drill out the gas port.
Old May 20, 2020, 18:22   #5
kroberts
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Makes sense

Dammit

Thanks

So the Del-Ton page says the barrel's gas port is .098". I can open up the barrel hole only until it's the same size as the port in the FSB. After that I'm out of luck. I guess I could try to open up the FSB hole. Shit.

Last edited by kroberts; May 20, 2020 at 18:37.
Old May 20, 2020, 18:45   #6
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Ive an sp1 that was converted to a dissipator back when they first came out and I never had to mess with the gas port size.
Maybe the A2 spring & buffer are just too much for it ?
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020, 18:50   #7
kroberts
Registered
Bronze Contributor

That's a thought. I know they sell lightweight buffers. Do they make lightweight springs too

I just pulled the buffer out of it. Weighs 5.2 ounces. I could open it up and replace some steel weights with aluminum ones. I have leftovers from a 9mm buffer kit I bought.

Ohhh, I found some of those barrels...

https://www.model1sales.com/index.cf...ategory_id=369

Wish I had found that last month

Last edited by kroberts; May 20, 2020 at 18:58.
Old May 20, 2020, 19:17   #8
Thundermaker
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Ive an sp1 that was converted to a dissipator back when they first came out and I never had to mess with the gas port size.
Maybe the A2 spring & buffer are just too much for it ?
Yours had the right gas port size in it.

It could be the buffer. If you've got the stuff on hand, by all means try it.
Old May 20, 2020, 19:57   #9
kroberts
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thanks for all the help gents.

(Those lightweight buffers I had remembered come in carbine length only.)

ETA: I only had four aluminum weights but I rebuilt the buffer and got it down to 3.5 ounces. Back to the range tomorrow.

Last edited by kroberts; May 20, 2020 at 20:40.
Old May 20, 2020, 21:00   #10
emcroy
Registered

FALaholic #: 33420
You could run a lightweight bolt carrier as well. Brownells has them for just a little over a hundred bucks for the nitride one. I have one on a build, BCG is 8.2 oz. My buffer is a little less than 2 oz. I'm running a 16" mid gas barrel with adjustable gas block only open a few clicks. With your setup, gas volume is already reduced, bet it would be a soft shooter.
Old May 20, 2020, 23:30   #11
MistWolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 7435
IF your AR is under-gassed, lightening the rifle buffer isn't gonna help. Throw a buffer that's too light in an under-gassed AR and you have an under-gassed AR that's also under-buffered. It might run, but only marginally.

First thing to do is use full power ammo. (I don't know if Fiocchi is a light load or not.) If the AR still short strokes using full power ammo, such as Federal XM193 5.56, then start checking for leaks & blockages.

The system could be leaking-
-between the gas block & barrel
-between the gas block & gas tube
-between the gas tube & gas key (some gas tubes are too small in diameter at the gas key end
-between the gas key & carrier
-at the gas rings

There could be blockage between the gas block & barrel from misalignment. This will restrict gas flow.
Old May 21, 2020, 05:20   #12
kroberts
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thanks for the LW buffer idea.

I removed the gas tube, ran some safety wire in it, all clear. Same for front site. Disassembled the BCG, gas key not loose, seal rings look fine, feel fine, not loose when assembled.

So how do you check for leaks? I didn't see any signs of soot around front site. I'm probably not going to get anyone to hold their finger next to the FSB as I crack off a few rounds.

Last edited by kroberts; May 21, 2020 at 06:38.
Old May 21, 2020, 07:05   #13
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
That's an odd barrel. Most dissapators use a separate gas block behind the FSB under the HGs. I don't think anything will work but opening the port. That's not very far left for the gas pressure to build.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 07:17   #14
MistWolf
Registered

If the gas block was leaking, there's a very good chance you'd see soot.

Gas key can be a little trickier. I had one that leaked and the only way I discovered it is because I took it off. I eliminated all other possibilities and the AR still short stroked.

I've also had ARs short stroke because the gas tube diameter going into the gas key was to small. Either because it was worn or defective.

Start with full power ammo like the Federal XM193. The short distance from gas port to muzzle means the blowdown time is short. ARs operate on the residual pressure in the barrel after the bullet uncorks the muzzle. This narrows the span of operation significantly and the result is that the AR can be very ammo sensitive.
Old May 21, 2020, 07:40   #15
kroberts
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I'm trying to decide if I want to keep dicking with this or just get it over with and order a new barrel.
Old May 21, 2020, 07:45   #16
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I had one and eventually turned the barrel down. They are front heavy and the biggest advantage is rifle length HGs is all I see. If you can't return the barrel at least open the port to get it running. All the add on stuff is not the way. Just dumping more cash to alleviate an obvious issue of not enough gas making it back isn't the way to go.

Old May 21, 2020, 08:22   #17
otis61
Registered

FALaholic #: 26667
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
[i
There could be blockage between the gas block & barrel from misalignment. This will restrict gas flow.
This is my thought. Had several rifles with this condition from the factory. One was from alexander arms. I would check this before you drill a bigger hole. You should be able to see a circle of carbon around the top of the hole in the barrel after you take the front sight off. That will show you if the alignment was good or not.
Old May 21, 2020, 08:25   #18
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis61 View Post
This is my thought. Had several rifles with this condition from the factory. One was from alexander arms. I would check this before you drill a bigger hole. You should be able to see a circle of carbon around the top of the hole in the barrel after you take the front sight off. That will show you if the alignment was good or not.
Certainly check this. I thought that would be 1st on the list.

Old May 21, 2020, 09:19   #19
kroberts
Registered
Bronze Contributor

So I've removed the FSB from the DelTon barrel. No evidence that it is misaligned. The gas port hole in the barrel is .098 (a #40 drill bit) The port hole in the FSB is about .138, plenty of space.

I guess I'm going to put it back together as is and take it to a nearby indoor range. All I have on hand for AR ammo is a couple thousand rounds of Guatemalan military surplus I bought some time ago. Hopefully the range has some ammo for sale, I could snag a box and give it a try too.

If it still doesn't run I think I'll open up the barrel port to .110, maybe a bit bigger. Suggestions?

And I need to order some more FSB pins, I have some spares in my stash but not enough to make a habit of this.

ETA: Screw it. I opened it up to .110

Last edited by kroberts; May 21, 2020 at 09:50.
Old May 21, 2020, 10:13   #20
Thundermaker
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroberts View Post
So I've removed the FSB from the DelTon barrel. No evidence that it is misaligned. The gas port hole in the barrel is .098 (a #40 drill bit) The port hole in the FSB is about .138, plenty of space.

I guess I'm going to put it back together as is and take it to a nearby indoor range. All I have on hand for AR ammo is a couple thousand rounds of Guatemalan military surplus I bought some time ago. Hopefully the range has some ammo for sale, I could snag a box and give it a try too.

If it still doesn't run I think I'll open up the barrel port to .110, maybe a bit bigger. Suggestions?

And I need to order some more FSB pins, I have some spares in my stash but not enough to make a habit of this.

ETA: Screw it. I opened it up to .110
What kind of range doesn't allow FMJ?
Old May 21, 2020, 11:36   #21
kroberts
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
What kind of range doesn't allow FMJ?
Seriously. It's a PITA. And it's an outdoor range to boot. It's a nice facility but damn.

Speaking of ranges, I just got back from my local indoor range. Gun ran like a top, I'm glad I opened the gas port up. I started with the last of my 50gr Fiocchi, then ran a mag full of that Guatemalan stuff thru it, no problems. The shop didn't have any 556 but they had a box of American Eagle 55gr 223 so I bought it. No problems. That bullet loaded in that Guatemalan stuff is visibly larger than the 55gr, I assume it's probably 62gr since it's milsurp.

All in all I'm tickled. Next step will be to slowly add weight to the buffer but the recoil felt very AR-ish.

Thanks again for all your help fellas.

Last edited by kroberts; May 21, 2020 at 11:49.
Old May 21, 2020, 13:01   #22
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Seriously. It's a PITA. And it's an outdoor range to boot. It's a nice facility but damn.

Speaking of ranges, I just got back from my local indoor range. Gun ran like a top, I'm glad I opened the gas port up. I started with the last of my 50gr Fiocchi, then ran a mag full of that Guatemalan stuff thru it, no problems. The shop didn't have any 556 but they had a box of American Eagle 55gr 223 so I bought it. No problems. That bullet loaded in that Guatemalan stuff is visibly larger than the 55gr, I assume it's probably 62gr since it's milsurp.

All in all I'm tickled. Next step will be to slowly add weight to the buffer but the recoil felt very AR-ish.

That's especially interesting since I thought that all the Guatemalan stuff that was imported was M193 (it was/is great ammo and loaded to full M193 spec).

The Hirtenberger M193 bullets that I bought a lot of decades ago were 56 grains and a slightly different shape than US M193 bullets, but were/are excellent bullets. Have you pulled any bullets from the Guatemalan stuff and weighed them?

I'm glad that things ARe ( ) working out for you...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 13:33   #23
Thundermaker
Registered

Quote:

Good deal. Glad you got it runnig.
Old May 21, 2020, 15:02   #24
emcroy
Registered

FALaholic #: 33420
I beg to differ. You lighten the entire reciprocating mas, not just the buffer. There are competition shooters who pay a pretty penny for just such a barrel, Stretch 16, which is 16" rifle gas. Under buffered? Some run a lightweight carrier and just gut the buffer, empty, no weights, about 1oz. Goes against our traditional thinking, but they run none the less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
IF your AR is under-gassed, lightening the rifle buffer isn't gonna help. Throw a buffer that's too light in an under-gassed AR and you have an under-gassed AR that's also under-buffered. It might run, but only marginally.

First thing to do is use full power ammo. (I don't know if Fiocchi is a light load or not.) If the AR still short strokes using full power ammo, such as Federal XM193 5.56, then start checking for leaks & blockages.

The system could be leaking-
-between the gas block & barrel
-between the gas block & gas tube
-between the gas tube & gas key (some gas tubes are too small in diameter at the gas key end
-between the gas key & carrier
-at the gas rings

Old May 21, 2020, 15:26   #25
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
La France gas tube could solve the issue you are having.

https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/prod...be-gas-system/
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 15:27   #26
kroberts
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I pulled the bullet out of one of those Guat. rounds and weighed it on the little scale I use for my turntable tone arm, came out to about 55 grains.
Old May 21, 2020, 15:32   #27
kroberts
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFADLR View Post
La France gas tube could solve the issue you are having.

https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/prod...be-gas-system/
My problem, my gun problem that is, has been resolved. I'm stuck with the rest of me.

That's a cool looking rifle on the KNS page. Any idea what it is?
Old May 21, 2020, 15:37   #28
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
The side charger I would guess is a ar15 of one type or another at least the upper looks like an ar.

Quote:
My problem, my gun problem that is, has been resolved. I'm stuck with the rest of me.

That's a cool looking rifle on the KNS page. Any idea what it is?
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 21:52   #29
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
I once "fixed" my car by using an aftermarket camshaft.

I went back to the factory cam and fixed it a second time.
Old May 23, 2020, 09:17   #30
MistWolf
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcroy View Post
I beg to differ. You lighten the entire reciprocating mas, not just the buffer. There are competition shooters who pay a pretty penny for just such a barrel, Stretch 16, which is 16" rifle gas. Under buffered? Some run a lightweight carrier and just gut the buffer, empty, no weights, about 1oz. Goes against our traditional thinking, but they run none the less.
I should point out that I'm talking about ARs using in spec ammo.

Lighter reciprocating mass can be made to work with careful tuning. Part of that careful tuning includes ammo tailored specifically for the setup. Span of operation is narrowed significantly. Use any other type of ammo and the benefits of the lightened reciprocating mass is quickly lost.

ARs tuned for in spec ammo are more forgiving. They have a wider span of operation.
Old May 24, 2020, 08:32   #31
mrbieler
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 29047
Glad you got it sorted. A lot of guys use 0.110 for the port on these builds. The lack of dwell time is an issue. I have the Brownells 15.5" rifle gassed barrel on mine. It came ported at 0.101 and has been fine so far with PMC Bronze which is pretty wimpy ammo. M193 spec ammo and it purrs.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it in cold weather so I'm not going to say it's 100% reliable and I may end up opening the port if it proves otherwise, but so it shoots soft and is quick in the hands.

The reason we're all here is that we're not all there.
mrbieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 10:27   #32
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Another solution to consider for short barrelled rifles or those who suffer from from short spans from gas block to muzzle is the use of a Krink type brake or the Noveske KX-3 "pig". The expansion chamber in these devices serve to increase back pressure and dwell time when used. They were designed specifically to address function issues. Another big plus is the directing muzzle blast forward and away from the shooter.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 10:54   #33
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
This has been an interesting read and I'm glad the OP got it running. Feels good, doesn't it?
I have a dizzy upper, all PSA built. IIRC, it has a mid length gas system and it's always ran with whatever I fed it. I believe the purpose of the dissipator upper was the ability to absorb lots of heat from extended fire at the same time protecting the shooter's hands and this is the reason I bought mine.
Years ago I had a Bushy CAR length rifle that saw lots of mag dumps, enough that the puny little round hand guards were not only uncomfortable to hold but they were smoking to boot. That incident warped them permanently.
This hasn't been a problem with the dissy.
Also because of memory of that experience I made sure a recent carbine length rifle had the fatter, oval M4 type hand guards. The recent 6933 upper I picked up will get similar guards if the ones it came with are marginal with heat mitigation.

Anyhow, congrats to the OP for fixing the obvious problem with his rifle without going to all kinds of expensive bandaids just to end up doing it right in the end.