The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old December 01, 2019, 18:50   #1
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Hiking boots

I don't recommend stuff very often but I found a pair of hiking boots that is the best I have ever worn. These boots are for hiking and the way they are made with the solid sole and rounded up on the toe they seem to make walking easy. Water resistant and warm enough for out doors.

Now the bad, you don't want to wear them around the house or your feet get too hot.

https://www.sportsmans.com/footwear-...oots/p/p206000

Again these are a very good walking boot but not a combat boot.
Bawana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2019, 19:21   #2
Redoubt
Registered

FALaholic #: 82243
Ive never seen those before, pretty interesting looking.
I recently had to retire my Asolo hiking boots and went with Danner mountain 600.
One season in and they did ok, Ill know more a year in...
My old Asolo's went 8 years, and my Vasque sundowners went 8 year prior to those.
Ive heard alot of good things about Danner.
Old December 01, 2019, 21:36   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

I like these so much I bought a second pair. The sole is just as quiet as it is comfortable, I can't hear my own footsteps on concrete. Maybe it's because I am deaf Anyway I can sneak up on the dog it's such a quiet shoe. I have been wearing them over six months now and walk the trails every day. The boot is holding up very good.

Edited to add, I broke two pair of Browning shoes in three months. They just fell apart in my walks. Looked like a good shoe until they got wet then the seams fell apart. Went to hiking boots after that.
Old December 17, 2019, 09:48   #4
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
Ive never seen those before, pretty interesting looking.
I recently had to retire my Asolo hiking boots and went with Danner mountain 600.
One season in and they did ok, Ill know more a year in...
My old Asolo's went 8 years, and my Vasque sundowners went 8 year prior to those.
Ive heard alot of good things about Danner.
I have been wanting to try Asolo. I just recently came upon Salomon and the pair I have been wearing every day for a year and a half are easily the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. In addition to wearing them every day to work, play, and church; I have also run in them, competed in run-n-gun in them, and hiked the Alps in them.

I refuse to pay retail price for expensive items. I bought these Salomon boots on Ebay for $65. I have been looking for another pair ever since. But I see that Sierra Trading Post carries Asolo boots all the time and the price seems to be pretty good; around $150. That is why I have been wanting to give them a try.

I was on the fence about buying some Salomon snow boots but I bought some Vasque's instead (found a gread deal on them). I used them for hunting this season and they have been very solid so far.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2019, 09:56   #5
Redoubt
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
I have been wanting to try Asolo. I just recently came upon Salomon and the pair I have been wearing every day for a year and a half are easily the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. In addition to wearing them every day to work, play, and church; I have also run in them, competed in run-n-gun in them, and hiked the Alps in them.

I refuse to pay retail price for expensive items. I bought these Salomon boots on Ebay for $65. I have been looking for another pair ever since. But I see that Sierra Trading Post carries Asolo boots all the time and the price seems to be pretty good; around $150. That is why I have been wanting to give them a try.

I was on the fence about buying some Salomon snow boots but I bought some Vasque's instead (found a gread deal on them). I used them for hunting this season and they have been very solid so far.

Vasque/Asolo make a great boot! Ive heard alot about Soloman but have never tried them.
I tend to gravitate more towards a mountaineering boot over a "hiking" boot.
Ill be going back to one of them this spring.
My Danners were great for about 2 months of heavy use and are already showing signs of wear and losing tread. Not impressed at all. They will be turned into around the farm boots. For $175 it was a waste.

Ive been a hiker for many years, my family growing up were weekend volksmarchers all over Germany so it kinda stuck with me.
Good boots are not cheap these days. Finding deals are the key but I rationalize it as "comfort time"
Paying $300-$400 for a pair of boots that make my feet feel great and they last 6-8 years is a no brainer for me.
Instead of buying some cheap boots, that make my feet hurt and I have to replace every year or two.
Im not a rich guy monetarily but Ive gotten to the point in my life that the items I need I want to work properly and comfortably when they are called on.
Old December 17, 2019, 10:19   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

I have tried high dollar boots for hiking and I was dissapointed in the Danner boots with the Dannerbob soul. They really wore out quick for a $230 boot with the bobs on the sole going flat. The water proofing failed and the sole turned flat in less than six months.

This new hiking boot barely covers the ankle but still gives support. The sole is holding up well under every day use. It's waterproof so far and in Oregon it needs to be. It's a hot boot though and our climate here isn't cool enough to keep your feet comfortable.

I have no idea how many pair of work boots I have worn out in a lifetime of construction. Redwings were my favorite work boot.
Old December 17, 2019, 10:25   #7
Redoubt
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post

I have no idea how many pair of work boots I have worn out in a lifetime of construction. Redwings were my favorite work boot.
Im a contractor and I agree, Redwing is the best boot Ive found as well. Granted I have to get a new pair every spring but its worth it!
Old December 17, 2019, 10:56   #8
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
Im a contractor and I agree, Redwing is the best boot Ive found as well. Granted I have to get a new pair every spring but its worth it!
Its the comfort while they last. Being on your feet 16+ hours a day it takes a real toll on you and you can't do a good job while in pain all day. I always had three pair. One to work in and another I was breaking in for work. A third pair that's new because the price keeps going up.

I still have a well traveled pair I wear now and then that has been resoled and a new pair in the closet all mink oiled up and ready. Even though I have been retired 5 years those old habits still show.
Old December 17, 2019, 15:14   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Have a pair actually bought on sale as like Danner boots when cheap. Unfortunately say they are cut rub one of the titanium plates in left ankle wrong and hurt bad after an hour or so. Not the boots but the three titanium plates, knee to ankle rod and dozen screws.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2019, 23:33   #10
Heisser Mann
Registered

FALaholic #: 80843
Location: Firearms talk is main reason for joining from: Kingman Arizona
I used to buy Meindl Ibex (German made) from Cabelas for around $150/pr
They were far more comfortable than any Danners I wore.
Sadly they are no longer in production.

https://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Foo...eindl/4390.uts
Heisser Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2019, 15:47   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I used to buy Beck boots out of Italy as their U.S. sizing was 8, 8 1/3, 8 2/3, 9, 9 1/3, 9 2/3, 10..... In most boots 9.5 is a bit snug and 10 are a bit big. Untill I find a brand and figure out if they stretch or not and how, have bought a pair of 9.5s to discover everything was good except they never broke in enough to fit. Others have bought 10s that felt good but in a few months were flopping on my feet due to stretch. Some have bought a pair of size 9.5s after discovered how much stretch the 10s had and soon they fit like glove. When find boots that fit right after broken in will often buy a second pair to have in case they are discontinued when I wear the pair that works well out. I still have two pair of Beck 9 2/3 as got a heads up on them folding and when REI put on clearance bought five pair. Worried the glue may begin to break down before last pairs are up in rotation though I remove from box and treat them to keep mildew from setting in.

Us d to be a boot company in Utah named Mecan Customs. You could go in the store/factory or they would send a kit to one of their dealers (I was a dealer) to make lasts based on your actual feet. I had my moulds made by owner while on a ski trip to Salt Lake. He added a lot more steps into a dealer kit. The dealer kit came with two boxes of foam that buyer would step in and feet would sink into the foam about three inches. Then dealer (trained by factory rep) would measure diameter of toes, ball, instep & arch, sole & bridge, two points around ankle and calf. All this went to factory and they made exact models of both feet as most peoples feet are different sizes then kept your models inventoried and whether buying hiking boots, mountaineering boots, ski boots or rock climbing shoes they were made on your set of lasts and each one fit each foot like the proverbial glove.

Sure there are others out there that offer similiar service but found a brand of boots whose 10s run small and fit me well enough to not worry as long as wear proper socks. Proper socks are as important as the boot and good socks can cost more than a pair of Walmart boots. In some cases a sock liner under main sock is a big help. My everyday socks all have sock liners sewed in the socks and have no idea of what they cost as factory rep keeps me in never ending supply but people with big feet complain that even their largest socks are too small. Seem to not fit people over size 11 well. Know they were working on that and may be a thing already fixed. Check out their website, I wear the Escape Silver Crew and Escape Merino Wool Crews which at $23 per pair would eventually hurt as like to have two dozen pair in rotation and two dozen pairs in storage backing them up as seen too many good companies go belly up.

https://www.wrightsock.com/
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote