The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old November 13, 2019, 20:29   #1
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Run and Guns for 2020

Okay guys, when are the new year's Run and Gun Matches tentatively scheduled?

Got a new holster and pistol that I can't wait to try out for the RNG's. Pistol remains a CZ - an SP01 Phantom. 14 ounces less than the CZ75 I was running. Did some GGW magic to it, but left it as a decocker. Short reset, lighter firing pin and springs makes for faster lock time and shorter, smoother double action trigger. The holster is a custom molded pistol made for the Phantom and I opted for the no light version along with MOLLE attachment devices. Went this way because I haven't settled on the make and model of light I want, and ARES molds the kydex specifically with light mounted to the pistol. Fit and finish were outstanding and the only thing I needed to do was adjust the tension screws to my liking. Holster from ARES Tactical in Missouri. Here is their link: https://www.arestactical.net/

I keep losing weight, however, now I seem to building muscle mass, so the weight loss has slowed. Up to now, I have removed 6+ inches from my waistline and seem to need new pants that fit every few weeks. Luckily, I wear a belt with my baggy jeans, so no wardrobe malfunctions. Still look like Forrest Gump as kid, but I feel a little more comfortable doing it. Not up for any distance runs yet, but working on it.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.

Last edited by tac-40; November 14, 2019 at 20:35. Reason: Wrong Damn Year
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019, 20:38   #2
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Thanks for the secret memos making note of my OOPS. I have corrected the year from the past to the future. Sometimes it sucks getting old.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old November 15, 2019, 16:15   #3
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post

I keep losing weight, however, now I seem to building muscle mass, so the weight loss has slowed. Up to now, I have removed 6+ inches from my waistline and seem to need new pants that fit every few weeks.
This is so awesome it hurts!

From my end, we have 5&10ks tentatively scheduled at Rockcastle on the weekend of March 21 and Sept 12. However, everything at Rockcastle is currently up in the air after the sale of the property. There is a plan to continue events and everything is moving forward, but I'm not booking ANYTHING until all the contracts and agreements shake out. So it will likely be January before I know much more than that.
Old November 21, 2019, 23:12   #4
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Getting ready to go to the range tomorrow, dug out my P89 mags. They were all still tucked away in pouches from the RBGC RNG.

Find out just about all of them are filled with lovely sand from the 15 foot crawl under the wire up to stage 4. Its amazing how mags in pouches could get so full of sand like that.

The good news is they still worked and so did the old Ruger on stages 5 and 6, even with all that sand.

RNG...the gift that keeps on giving !

Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2019, 00:25   #5
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Got my new holster from ARES Tactical and it is awesome. The only adjustment needed was the tightening of the tension screws to my liking. I opted for the Molle-Lok system to mount on my LBE. It consists of two solid polymer (Kydex?) straps that are screwed on to the holster back. The straps fit snugly through the MOLLE straps and lock into place. Very sturdy and stable method of securing my holster. The holster completely covers the pistol but still facilitates a rapid draw and re-holster. The only down side is they hand make each holster and this takes 7-8 weeks to complete and get it to you. But they are up front with the wait time, and will gladly rush your order for an additional fee. Since I wasn't in a hurry, I didn't take that option. But it was worth the wait. Top quality all the way around. They do have some on the shelf holsters for frequent sellers, so you may find they have what you want already pre-made.

This is what my holster looks like but for a CZ SP01 Phantom.

Old November 22, 2019, 00:30   #6
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
This is so awesome it hurts!

From my end, we have 5&10ks tentatively scheduled at Rockcastle on the weekend of March 21 and Sept 12. However, everything at Rockcastle is currently up in the air after the sale of the property. There is a plan to continue events and everything is moving forward, but I'm not booking ANYTHING until all the contracts and agreements shake out. So it will likely be January before I know much more than that.
Hope everything works out for the good. I would hate to lose a venue like that because somebody has another vision for it.

I just found out my range will be shut down over the Christmas holiday. They are going to extend it from 600 yards and add target line and berm at 700 and 800 yards. Now I can really practice my long range pistol shooting.

Old November 25, 2019, 14:08   #7
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
Zombie will be happening as a team match in November. Dunno a date yet. Waiting on Rockcastle to finalize a few things.
ElTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2019, 08:12   #8
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
OK Run N Gun - Jan 18th, July 11th.

Join us for comfortable seasonal weather, gently rolling hills, calm winds, and lush vegetation under your feet for the 5 and 10k courses, accurately measured to Oklahoma standards. There will be aid stations along the way, and heated/AC areas at each shooting stage. All crawling obstacles will have pile carpet underneath to protect each competitor from injury. ROs will have towels and warmers if you should get wet crossing a creek.

Well, not really. But the food is good and it's a great group of folks.
TedKennedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2019, 13:42   #9
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
^

"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2019, 13:43   #10
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTigre View Post
Zombie will be happening as a team match in November. Dunno a date yet. Waiting on Rockcastle to finalize a few things.
Tiger -

Team thing could be really cool. Is that "point total" of two or three people, or "run together and solve problems as a team" ?
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2019, 15:33   #11
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Tiger -

Team thing could be really cool. Is that "point total" of two or three people, or "run together and solve problems as a team" ?
This is the question I have as well.

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2019, 15:38   #12
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
RBGC Run-and-Gun is August 29th. (which I just noticed is the same day as the local RBGC 3-gun monthly match...I need to talk to them about that...I wonder if we can work something out?)

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2019, 07:10   #13
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
Bruce - do you post this up on Southeast Traders forum? I've tried to stir some interest in RNG with those guys, you're the closest to them.
TedKennedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2019, 17:00   #14
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post

Join us for comfortable seasonal weather, gently rolling hills, calm winds, and lush vegetation under your feet for the 5 and 10k courses, accurately measured to Oklahoma standards. There will be aid stations along the way, and heated/AC areas at each shooting stage. All crawling obstacles will have pile carpet underneath to protect each competitor from injury. ROs will have towels and warmers if you should get wet crossing a creek.

Ted, first one too close to my birthday. Not really, but too damn cold. I have gotten used to these southern winters.

The second could be doable, but way outside my travelling comfort zone unless there is a car pool in a motor home going that way. I stiffen up so bad after 8 hours of sitting in a car seat. Every 4 hours or so, I usually stop and get out to stretch and walk around. Takes about 30 minutes to get back to normal. Google maps says it's an 18 hrs drive to OKC from my house. That means an overnight stop for me each way if I am by myself.

Old November 27, 2019, 18:11   #15
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Tiger -

2 people will run together and shoot each stage as a team. There will be a limited number of entries for "lone survivors" but the round count and stages will not be adjusted for them. They must do everything I design for two people by themselves.
ElTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2019, 22:17   #16
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post

All true!