The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old October 27, 2019, 23:06   #1
K-fal58
Registered

FALaholic #: 72037
Ak build question.

I have a Romanian pm 90 kit that came with all virgin parts. Most of the barrel components have like a pre drilled hole started but not completely through the part. The gas block,rear sight base and front sight base holes look great. Now the hole in the trunnion for the barrel pin looks to be a little low. It looks like if I drill the hole that half the bit will be seen in the chamber of the barrel. I am using a virgin barrel on the build. My question is this just an illusion .I checked some of my arsenal aks and it seems to be right were iit should be. Just trying to get good info and not screw up my first Ak complete build. Any help is greatly appreciated. The starter hole is on the right side and the bottom of the hole just touches the ledge. It appears to be a 1/4 inch starter hole.
K-fal58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2019, 10:01   #2
Tim Dreas
Registered

FALaholic #: 17255
Half of the cross pin thickness (diameter) should pass through the barrel.

So for the 7.0mm barrel trunnion pin, the hole through the barrel should be 3.5mm deep into the barrel journal.

The Romanian trunnion barrel journal is 23.0mm in diameter.

A few measurements and some math should be able to figure if the pilot hole (or dimple) is correctly positioned, and they usually are close enough.

Many or most, if not all, of the Yugoslavian AK's have the pins more than alf way into the barrel.

This causes the galling they suffer when being taken apart.

If the trunnion pin hole is above the edge, or even right on it, there should be plenty of barrel between the pin and the chamber remaining.

The Chinese AK's have smaller 6.0mm trunnion pins , but the barrel trunnion journal is only 19.0mm in diameter, with the same chamber in it.

Last edited by Tim Dreas; October 28, 2019 at 10:45.
Tim Dreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2019, 18:02   #3
K-fal58
Registered

FALaholic #: 72037
Thankyou very much Tim.
K-fal58 is offline   Reply With Quote