The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old August 02, 2012, 21:08   #1
AndyC
Porridge Wog
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19755
Congress Passes Restrictions On Military Funeral Protests, Delivers Blow To Westboro

Now that's a restriction I can get behind:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1733080.html

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 02, 2012, 22:20   #2
Ironhandjohn
Registered

FALaholic #: 11561
The 'Zombie' counter protests held the other day at Ft. Lewis would have been better if they had lined up and started staggering "Walking Dead"-style at the Westboro pukes.

I don't know much about Fred Phelps, but to me it seems he doth protest a little too much about gays. Makes me think he's compensating for being in the closet, himself...
Old August 02, 2012, 22:47   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I don't think it will hold constitutional muster.

While I find protesting any funeral to be in extremely poor taste, that some weenie in Congress presumes to tell free Americans where and when they can protest is far more abhorrent.

Next it will be - you must be 300 feet from a member of Congress and can't protest 2 hours before or after a speech.

Be careful what you with for. . . .
Old August 02, 2012, 23:21   #4
Nick H.
Registered

FALaholic #: 9591
I agree with GP. I don't believe congress has any authority to do such a thing. Individual states might have the power, but I don't think the feds can legitimately prohibit funeral protests.
Old August 02, 2012, 23:27   #5
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Next it will be - you must be 300 feet from a member of Congress and can't protest 2 hours before or after a speech.

Along those lines....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech_zone
Old August 02, 2012, 23:34   #6
FALRifle
Registered

FALaholic #: 66120
While GP may be right, those Westboro F*@KTARDS need to shut the hell up. The disrespect they show toward complete strangers during their worst times is deplorable. People need to protest each on of those Westboro freaks despicable little existence on a daily basis.
FALRifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2012, 08:25   #7
GOVT1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 9433
I agree that as distasteful as the WBC's protests are, we really need to be careful what laws we wish for.

Those clowns came here to Ft Bragg to protest several years ago. They were just off of Post on Yadkin Road, for those of you that know the area. Well, they did it right at lunch time, and that's one of the major roads that American Paratroopers use to go off base and get food. Wellllllll, let's just say they were out there for about, oh, 30 seconds before the road was completely blocked by about 200 guys stopping their vehicles in the road, jumping out and "conversing" with the protestors.

The local Police were called, as well as the MPs. When the patrols arrived, apparently there was a discussion on exactly who's jurisdiction the physical altercation was occurring in. Turns out that by the time the LEOs got it figured out, most of the Soldiers had already left and the worse-for-wear WBC clowns were standing around trying to figure how they could leave with their vehicles in not-so-great condition now. Apparently, nobody saw nuttin'.
Old August 03, 2012, 09:24   #8
Bug Tussell
Registered

FALaholic #: 2872
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOVT1911 View Post
I agree that as distasteful as the WBC's protests are, we really need to be careful what laws we wish for.

Those clowns came here to Ft Bragg to protest several years ago. They were just off of Post on Yadkin Road, for those of you that know the area. Well, they did it right at lunch time, and that's one of the major roads that American Paratroopers use to go off base and get food. Wellllllll, let's just say they were out there for about, oh, 30 seconds before the road was completely blocked by about 200 guys stopping their vehicles in the road, jumping out and "conversing" with the protestors.

The local Police were called, as well as the MPs. When the patrols arrived, apparently there was a discussion on exactly who's jurisdiction the physical altercation was occurring in. Turns out that by the time the LEOs got it figured out, most of the Soldiers had already left and the worse-for-wear WBC clowns were standing around trying to figure how they could leave with their vehicles in not-so-great condition now. Apparently, nobody saw nuttin'.
Old August 03, 2012, 15:28   #9
longhair51
Constitutional curmudgeon
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5884
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
I don't think it will hold constitutional muster.

While I find protesting any funeral to be in extremely poor taste, that some weenie in Congress presumes to tell free Americans where and when they can protest is far more abhorrent.

This law was signed into law on March 2012. While not exactly addressing the issue posted by the OP, I am troubled by certain parts(underlined by me). I agree with GP, in that, it can and probably will be a slippery slope.

Just in case one might think I'm a westboro church fan, I'm not. I think being crushed by falling space junk would be too easy on them.

H.R.347

One Hundred Twelfth Congress of the United States of America

AT THE SECOND SESSION
Begun and held at the City of Washington on Tuesday,
the third day of January, two thousand and twelve

An Act

To correct and simplify the drafting of section 1752 (relating to restricted buildings or grounds) of title 18, United States Code.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ‘Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011’.

SEC. 2. RESTRICTED BUILDING OR GROUNDS.

Section 1752 of title 18, United States Code, is amended to read as follows:

-‘Sec. 1752. Restricted building or grounds

‘(a) Whoever--

‘(1) knowingly enters or remains in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority to do so;

‘(2) knowingly, and with intent to impede or disrupt the orderly conduct of Government business or official functions, engages in disorderly or disruptive conduct in, or within such proximity to, any restricted building or grounds when, or so that, such conduct, in fact, impedes or disrupts the orderly conduct of Government business or official functions;

‘(3) knowingly, and with the intent to impede or disrupt the orderly conduct of Government business or official functions, obstructs or impedes ingress or egress to or from any restricted building or grounds; or

‘(4) knowingly engages in any act of physical violence against any person or property in any restricted building or grounds;

or attempts or conspires to do so, shall be punished as provided in subsection (b).

‘(b) The punishment for a violation of subsection (a) is--

‘(1) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than 10 years, or both, if--

‘(A) the person, during and in relation to the offense, uses or carries a deadly or dangerous weapon or firearm; or

‘(B) the offense results in significant bodily injury as defined by section 2118(e)(3); and

‘(2) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than one year, or both, in any other case.

‘(c) In this section--

‘(1) the term ‘restricted buildings or grounds’ means any posted, cordoned off, or otherwise restricted area--
‘(A) of the White House or its grounds, or the Vice President’s official residence or its grounds;

‘(B) of a building or grounds where the President or other person protected by the Secret Service is or will be temporarily visiting; or

‘(C) of a building or grounds so restricted in conjunction with an event designated as a special event of national significance; and

‘(2) the term ‘other person protected by the Secret Service’ means any person whom the United States Secret Service is authorized to protect under section 3056 of this title or by Presidential memorandum, when such person has not declined such protection.’.

Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Vice President of the United States and

President of the Senate.

”if the federal government treats the American public with this degree of contempt when we’re armed to the teeth, imagine how they would treat us if they had all our guns."
longhair51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2012, 17:07   #10
chet
Registered

FALaholic #: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
Ayep. The ironic part is it took almost a decade for Congress to do something on Westboro but "free speech zones" have been around since the 60's.

On the surface, if someone said "religious free speech is fine as long as it occurs in a a free speech zone" it might not sound so bad, but when you actually see what a free speech zone is, it gets pretty crazy.

That's from the 2004 DNC.
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2012, 15:58   #11
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Any time our "representatives" start restricting anything its probably not good. As disgusting as those protests are they represent what the constitution is all about; to protect one person's right to do something another person does not agree with. As long as they are not harming anyone or infringing on someone else's rights they should be allowed to do what they want.

Protesting at a funeral is very poor taste and exposes the protestors to be very stupid. So now we are going to allow those stupid people to affect our laws and rights? This just adds fuel to the fire these jokers have started in addition to setting dangerous precedent regarding the 1st amendment if this stands.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2012, 16:11   #12
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
When the WBC came to protest at the Funeral for Marine Sterling Wyatt we put up a "Red Wall". Their Freedom was protected, as well as OURS. That IS the way OUR Constitution was meant to be interpreted. TOO many laws on the books already.
John Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote