Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old August 13, 2019, 23:59   #1
Kathleen Robb
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 82783
Rubber Bullets

Where can I get primer powered rubber bullets .45 cal. online? I am having a hard time locating any. I have the brass already, just need the rubber. They are great for target practice in the workshop and some other things. Thank you for any suggestions.

Last edited by Kathleen Robb; August 14, 2019 at 00:05. Reason: Forgot to add something.
Kathleen Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2019, 06:21   #2
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
I think I read some where that hot glue sticks can be cut to length and loaded as bullets. Never tried it though. I also seem to remember a company that that made plastic cases and bullets, maybe Speer? I bet someone over at cast boolits - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php knows.
Old August 14, 2019, 06:31   #3
mutter
Registered

FALaholic #: 22871
The large glue sticks work great. Accurate to at least 30 ft and will go through sheet rock.
mutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2019, 08:01   #4
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
X-Ring
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_C...udlo=&_fosrp=1
Old August 14, 2019, 08:16   #5
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
I think that you have to drill out the flash holes in the cases for best performance with polymer bullets and then cases can only be used for that, but I could be wrong.
Old August 14, 2019, 08:24   #6
medicmike
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Used to make wax bullets to fire out of a primed case by punching through a sheet of wax with a case like a cookie cutter.

The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2019, 09:31   #7
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
http://www.meisterbullets.com/AWSCat...Rubber-Bullets
Old August 14, 2019, 15:17   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Just buy a few boxes of the Speer plastic cases and plastic bullets and just have to push out a primer, push the plastic bullet back in case and carry on. Use them all the time in my tactical training courses. Amazing how well some people can shoot right up until start popping them in the torso or thighs with plastic bullets as they try to engage a series of threats on a IPSC or IDPA type course. This has to be done very carefully to keep someone from getting hurt but if the distraction of a plastic bullet that leaves a small bruise stops them on the course what would taking a non lethal round do to them.

When I trained under a sensei had one day a week we had to take a head to toe beating from lead trainer. First was to make you tougher and second to keep a solid strike from causing you to stop fighting. Buddy and I put on our armor and a face shield abut once a month and each get a wheel gun loaded with Speer plastic bullets and two speed loaders each then run a course on each other. Nothing like a dynamic course of fire where have a thinking human shooting at you instead of cardboard and steel waiting to get shot. We set up a two way course with hostages, civilians and bad guys then play the game to see who hits more bad guys while shooting at each other as move from barricades and cover. Dumb??? Maybe until one of us ends up in a real gunfight.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2019, 18:43   #9
Bwana John
Registered

FALaholic #: 3810
44 caliber glue sticks, cut into little wadcutters, powered by a magnum large rifle primer, with the flash hole on the 45 acp case drilled out to 1/8" .

Cut the "wadcutters" long enough to stick out of the case 1/8" when fully seated into the case with thumb pressure

Shoots to "minute of dog bowl" with poi = poa @ 50 ft.

Manually working the slide they feed from the magazine on M1911

Penetrates 7 layers of cardboard point blank.

Projectile shatters at temperatures less than 35 f, and could have almost total elastic rebound at temps greater than 80 f.

Careful there, it can shoot yer eye out!

For more power drill out the primer pocket for #209 shotgun primers.

Last edited by Bwana John; August 15, 2019 at 22:38.
Bwana John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2019, 02:56   #10
Kathleen Robb
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 82783
Thank you

Thank you everyone for the great ideas, I am going to try the glue sticks and wax tomorrow.
Kathleen Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2019, 19:36   #11
hongkong3
Double G's Personal Troll

FALaholic #: 3565
I take a small triangular file and file a small notch in the rim just to make double sure I don't use the case for anything other than glue stick loads. I also bevel the front with a one of those large eyebrow pencil sharpeners.
Lest we forget Gougered (gg erd), German, adj. 1. Slang. Bilked: cheated. 2. To be deceived or tricked. 3. To be deprive of some right or something legally due. 4. Deliberate misleading or deluding, to produce misunderstanding or to prevent someone from knowing the truth 5. To be deceived by a stratagem, often of a petty, crafty, or dishonorable kind.
hongkong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2019, 19:44   #12
Bwana John
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongkong3 View Post
I take a small triangular file and file a small notch in the rim just to make double sure I don't use the case for anything other than glue stick loads. I also bevel the front with a one of those large eyebrow pencil sharpeners.
I used to worry about it also, then I found factory Winchester 45 acp with primer holes all ready .125" from the manufacture (from their "Green" ammo).

And the cases drilled out for #209 shotgun primers kind of speak for themselfs!

Another fun load uses a real 45 acp round nose bullet mold, drop a .177 steel BB into the mold then fill it with molten glue stick, put grease in the grease groove, 1.5 gr Bullseye, with a cardboard over powder wadd.

Kind of an armor piercing plastic bullet.

Expect some wild trajectories if the BB is not centered.

A "frangable" bullet can be made by filling the mold up with BBs, then adding molten glue stick to completely full the mold.

Last edited by Bwana John; August 28, 2019 at 19:59.
Old August 28, 2019, 19:50   #13
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmike View Post
Used to make wax bullets to fire out of a primed case by punching through a sheet of wax with a case like a cookie cutter.
Fast draw shooting?

When I did that, I cut out wax bullets, but had a special cylinder for a Colt SAA revolver that was 45 in front for the wax, but took 22 blanks in the back.
Old August 28, 2019, 20:25   #14
Bwana John
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Fast draw shooting?

When I did that, I cut out wax bullets, but had a special cylinder for a Colt SAA revolver that was 45 in front for the wax, but took 22 blanks in the back.
When we did it as kids ("wax wars") we took the projectile off a .22, kept the powder, then added a birthday candle slightly shorter than the length of the revolver cylinder.

The adults had man on man quick draw competitions using 45LC pistols and cases using primer powered loads with the case mouth pushed into a tray of wax to seat the projectile.

The cylinder that could not take any type of live ammunition is probably a very good idea!!!

Last edited by Bwana John; August 28, 2019 at 21:08.
Old August 31, 2019, 15:19   #15
legion489
Registered

FALaholic #: 6297
Like MedicMike I was going to say get some paraffin wax and warm them slightly (set on a shelf in the summer at my place! Float in warm water in winter) and push the case through the wax. THEN prime them! The air pressure will push the primer out if primer hole enlarged or high if not primer drilled out (drop a slide and POW!). They generally don't punch holes in much (use old towel for "reusable" wax bullets or any "hard", such as cardboard, backing to stop wax bullets to melt down for reuse. Down side? Barrel gets waxed! But it should never rust with all that wax in it! Clean with brass brush before shooting real ammo.

Ebay has rubber bullets in various sizes and prices. ALWAYS look at all the bullets sizes you want to buy, and check S&H! What might look like a great price is before shipping and some one else might have the exact same thing for less including S&H. The ones I looked at had various prices, but one person had the same thing for a couple bucks more, but with the "free shipping" was actually much cheaper then the others.
legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote