Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old September 12, 2019, 01:58   #101
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose52 View Post
This book just blows the first edition out of the water. Both myself and the publisher are VERY pleased with how the book looks, feels, and reads.
And the first edition is just excellent.

I'm really looking forward to the mail next week...

And congratulations, Wayne, for the birthing of your second.

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019, 05:26   #102
Goose52
Registered

FALaholic #: 4994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Carpentieri View Post
Wayne, Have you ever seen the Browning FN-49 Muzzle brake? It is 3 1/2 inches long, Has 5 rows going around the Brake itself and has 6 ports per row.

PS, I ordered the second edition to night and paid for.
Hi Lee - thanks for ordering the book...

Regarding a "Browning" muzzle brake, after 32 years of collecting and researching this rifle, I have never run across any "Browning" accessories. Back in 2004, the Browning company historian (Glen Jensen) was unable to find any record of Browning offering either the FN-49 rifle, or any accessories in the company records or catalogs. Also in 2004, an advanced Browning collector reported that: I have checked my two 1960 catalogs, my two 1961 catalogs, my two 1962 catalogs, and my eight 1963 catalogs and do not see any reference whatsoever to this gun in any of the catalogs.

The only record found to date of Browning involvement with this rifle is that a private party in New York state special ordered a single FN-49 (with muzzle brake and sling) from Browning; Browning in turn ordered the rifle from FN and upon receipt delivered it to the customer in New York (this was in 1961). I cover this on page 88 of the second edition.

Further, the FN-manufactured muzzle brake was available by special order from Belgium so why would Browning go to the trouble of designing/manufacturing/offering a muzzle brake of different design for an esoteric rifle of which relatively few were available in the U.S.?

So, the only time I have ever heard of a "Browning" muzzle brake is your periodic mentions of it here on FAL Files. What evidence do you have that your device was made by Browning? A receipt? Do you have the original packaging? Is the part stamped "Browning"? Unless I had some sort of evidence that I could hang my hat on, I could not mention such a device of unproven provenance in my book...
Goose52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019, 05:28   #103
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
And the first edition is just excellent.

I'm really looking forward to the mail next week...

And congratulations, Wayne, for the birthing of your second.

Forrest
Thanks for your patience Forrest. Let us know what you think of the second edition - you should indeed have it sometime next week !
Old September 12, 2019, 08:05   #104
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Thanks for the update Wayne! I'm sure looking forward to getting mine!

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019, 10:14   #105
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Thanks for your patience Forrest. Let us know what you think of the second edition - you should indeed have it sometime next week !
I look forward to it.

And you know, Wayne, I also have to congratulate you on picking Anthony Vanderlinden and Wet Dog Publications to publish your work of art. Wet Dog's publications are of the highest production quality. I just recently also picked up FN Mauser Rifles by Anthony Vanderlinden and VIS Radom by William York (both Wet Dog productions) and I am extremely pleased with them as well. I have a couple more of their books on my near future purchase list.

And 'made in the USA' to boot. I wasn't aware that we were even capable of such quality anymore. Does my heart good to see it...

Forrest
Old September 12, 2019, 10:39   #106
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
I look forward to it.

And you know, Wayne, I also have to congratulate you on picking Anthony Vanderlinden and Wet Dog Publications to publish your work of art. Wet Dog's publications are of the highest production quality. I just recently also picked up FN Mauser Rifles by Anthony Vanderlinden and VIS Radom by William York (both Wet Dog productions) and I am extremely pleased with them as well. I have a couple more of their books on my near future purchase list.

And 'made in the USA' to boot. I wasn't aware that we were even capable of such quality anymore. Does my heart good to see it...

Forrest
Hi Forrest,

I wish I was smart enough to have "picked" Anthony as the publisher. Back in 2003, he actually contacted me when I was running my original FN-49 surveys on a lot of boards and asked if I thought I could do a book. I replied that a book was the goal and that technical writing had always been at least a part of all my positions in my aerospace day-job. He is not only an outstanding publisher with a passion for accuracy and quality of publishing, but is also a professional photographer by trade, as well as being very knowledgeable about FN products. For my project, it was the perfect match.

And yes, his books are just outstanding. Even the paper - it's extra bucks to go with this heavier coated paper but it just makes the photos so much richer in presentation that he considers it value-added; I hope the readers feel the same. Since my second edition is the first book that he has done in full color, it will likely be something of a template for some of his future issues/editions. So, if you like the "look" of my 2ed. - then expect that his future books will look as good or better.

Also, if you have any interest in FN pistols, you NEED to put his book on that subject on your shopping list ...

Last edited by Goose52; September 12, 2019 at 16:47.
Old September 12, 2019, 10:55   #107
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Hi Forrest,

I wish I was smart enough to have "picked" Anthony as the publisher. Back in 2003, he actually contacted me when I was running my original FN-49 surveys on a lot of boards and asked if I thought I could do a book. I replied that a book was the goal and that technical writing had always been at least a part of all my positions in my aerospace day-job. He is not only an outstanding publisher with a passion for accuracy and quality of publishing, but is also a professional photographer by trade, as well as being a recognized collector of "all things FN." For my project, it was the perfect match.

And yes, his books are just outstanding. Even the paper - it's extra bucks to go with this heavier coated paper but it just makes the photos so much richer in presentation that he considers it value-added; I hope the readers feel the same. Since my second edition is the first book that he has done in full color, it will likely be something of a template for some of his future issues/editions. So, if you like the "look" of my 2ed. - then expect that his future books will look as good or better.

Also, if you have any interest in FN pistols, you NEED to put his book on that subject on your shopping list ...
Well, then, I guess that I should pass my congratulations on to Anthony for being smart enough to pick you for your book...

And his FN pistol book IS on my list...

Forrest
Old September 12, 2019, 11:24   #108
ftierson
Registered

By the way, Wayne, do you have any feel for how many copies of your 2nd have been sold to this point in time? If that's proprietary info for the publisher, please feel free not to comment...

Forrest
Old September 12, 2019, 12:28   #109
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
By the way, Wayne, do you have any feel for how many copies of your 2nd have been sold to this point in time? If that's proprietary info for the publisher, please feel free not to comment...

Forrest
That's really Anthony's side of the business and I can't comment on that. AND, it is a business. I do not self-publish and it's Anthony that has to put big-bucks on the line to pay the printer and all other overhead on a new release. That is why honest reviews of the book and word-of-mouth are important for him as those types of things generate sales and allow him to start to recover his initial investment.

And like Forrest Gump would say - that's all I have to say about that...
Old September 12, 2019, 15:09   #110
monkad
Registered

FALaholic #: 80448
Good news, Wayne, ordered some weeks ago and I'm now eagerly waiting for the book to arrive, especially since I missed the first edition which went lost somewhere in the trip between the publisher and my adress some years ago.
monkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019, 15:55   #111
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkad View Post
Good news, Wayne, ordered some weeks ago and I'm now eagerly waiting for the book to arrive, especially since I missed the first edition which went lost somewhere in the trip between the publisher and my adress some years ago.
I'm sorry to hear that you did not receive your copy of the first edition. I know that the publisher occasionally has problems when shipping books to Europe. We also had a first edition book lost on the way to a contributor in Argentina - we had to send another copy and fortunately that one made it through.

Well, as I have mentioned, the second edition is a better book in every way than the first edition so I hope you receive this one.

My publisher should have all the U.S.-ordered books mailed out by tomorrow and then next week he will probably then be concentrating on the international orders - those take longer to prepare for shipment due to the customs forms.
Old September 14, 2019, 16:33   #112
ftierson
Registered

Wayne, I received my copy today (Saturday). At first glance, it looks beautiful. Since I'm painting my deck at the moment (before it rains), I'll take a much more careful look tonight.

And Anthony packaged it extremely well (as usual).

I also ordered Anthony's FN Pistols book...

Later,

Forrest
Old September 14, 2019, 16:44   #113
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
I got mine today. Jumped straight to the Argie box mag conversion, and paged through to the end. I held out on the 1st book, and this one did not disappoint. This is how a reference book should be done. Great job.
mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2019, 18:44   #114
Ramone
Registered

FALaholic #: 51353
Received mine today as well, and as expected its packed with great information, lots of reference pictures and very well laid out. I can't wait to jump into this one, thanks Goose!
Ramone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2019, 10:26   #115
Goose52
Registered

Thanks guys - good reviews on the book help to make the effort to produce it seem worthwhile. After you have had some time to study the book, if you think it is informative and a good value, please pass the word to any other folks that you think might be interested or on any other forums that you may be active on...
Old September 17, 2019, 07:14   #116
vmtz

FALaholic #: 1125
I picked my copy up last night from my P.O. Box. I only had time to read the chapter on Colombian FN-49's. But I also flipped through the book.

My review is one word: Wow! Oh, wow!

What a nice book, great pictures and well written. Buy a copy before they are gone.

THANKS Goose!

Vince
Old September 18, 2019, 12:47   #117
Goose52
Registered

Thank you Vince !
Old September 18, 2019, 14:05   #118
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

FALaholic #: 4936
Second edition of the FN-49

Just received mine also Wayne, You out did yourself. Simply OUTSTANDING.Anthony shipped it quickly Too.

SEMPER FI. Lee.
Old September 18, 2019, 15:24   #119
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmtz View Post
I picked my copy up last night from my P.O. Box. I only had time to read the chapter on Colombian FN-49's. But I also flipped through the book.

My review is one word: Wow! Oh, wow!

What a nice book, great pictures and well written. Buy a copy before they are gone.
What Vince says...

I have a friend who didn't order the first edition while worrying about it's cost and he missed out on it. Of course, since then, copies of the first edition were sometimes available on the used market for about 4x (or more) the original new price.

He didn't pause this time around and immediately pre-ordered his copy which he has also received and is extremely happy with as well...

I've taken a much more detailed look at this new edition, and I can only regurgitate Vince's comments. I mean that in the very best way, Wayne!

Forrest
Old September 18, 2019, 16:59   #120
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
I'll echo the comments made about the new book; it's just great and I read the first two chapters yesterday-fascinating information to me. I'm really enjoying it! Congratulations on a fine piece of work Wayne and thanks for doing it!

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2019, 17:58   #121
Goose52
Registered

THANKS again folks ! I need to point out that the book was a Team effort. The new color format and the layout (placement of text and images on the page) are the "stylings" of the publisher, Anthony Vanderlinden. The only chapter where I took the lead in layout design was in Chapter 3 (on the early self-loading rifles) as I had some definite goals on packaging, image locations, page contents, etc. to try to crisply tell that story.

Also, while a few of the photos in the book are my photography, the majority of photos that are not otherwise credited to other people are from Anthony's camera work.

Finally, speaking of other folks, note the names of the contributors on pages 6 & 7 in the front of the book as well as the names appearing under some of the image caption - all part of the Team...
Old September 18, 2019, 23:01   #122
Orion the Hunter
Registered

FALaholic #: 62009
Well Done Goose52 & TEAM!

Quality Research that is Bound in a Quality Hardcover Book!

As with your first edition, I especially like the “Collectors Notes”, as well as the other “Sidebars” of information, that offers the reader a boost of valuable information about the various FN-49 versions!

This token of feedback can barely compliment the Quality Binding and Heavy Gloss Papered Illustrations that are an added bonus!

Absolutely Outstanding! I am glad to have both autographed copies in my collection and on my bookshelf!

To the FN-49 Collector: If you own a FN-49...or are thinking about owning a FN-49...this is the book to have! It covers all aspects of the FN-49...which is well known to be the steppingstone to the famous FN-FAL!

If you haven’t already ordered your copy yet, I would highly recommend purchasing one ASAP!!

Orion the Hutner
Orion the Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2019, 16:10   #123
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
All I can say is... WOW! Way more info than I will ever use. Thanks to all involved in this endeavor.
Old September 24, 2019, 12:54   #124
Goose52
Registered

Thanks guys !

On the content of the book - it even surprised me. At the start of the project I was forecasting that page count would go from 200 in the 1st edition to 300 in the second edition, and illustrations would go from 300 to about 600. Instead, the second edition ended up being 460 pages, 1,050 illustrations, and over 150,000 words.

It became a monster for sure...
Old October 03, 2019, 10:35   #125
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
Thanks guys !

On the content of the book - it even surprised me. At the start of the project I was forecasting that page count would go from 200 in the 1st edition to 300 in the second edition, and illustrations would go from 300 to about 600. Instead, the second edition ended up being 460 pages, 1,050 illustrations, and over 150,000 words.

It became a monster for sure...
I have been asked about the added content of the book as compared to the first edition. There is really too much new information to itemize. The raw numbers (pages, illustrations, word count) were in the previous post quoted above. A summary of the additions is on the publisher's web page here: https://www.fnbrowning.com/book-fn49...t-military-rif

The below photos show how the physical size of the book has increased (the thin one is the 1st edition!):

BTW - these photos of the 1st edition illustrate the quality of the library-type binding used by the publisher. That 1st edition is my "working/reference" copy and has been opened and closed hundreds (thousands?) of times over the last 15 years and the pages are still tight in the binding. My publisher does not cut corners in the quality of publishing for these books...
Old October 13, 2019, 16:12   #126
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Fun fact: your new book already made it to ebay.

UPDATE: there are two

Smart person would have waited a bit, but what do I know?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 10:00   #127
fal762
Registered

FALaholic #: 66358
Congratulations! Ian gave your second edition a positive review.
https://www.forgottenweapons.com/boo...ilitary-rifle/
fal762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 06:05   #128
Kevin
Registered

FALaholic #: 12
Great Book

Great book. Very well done.
Best regards,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 08:18   #129
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fal762 View Post
Congratulations! Ian gave your second edition a positive review.
https://www.forgottenweapons.com/boo...ilitary-rifle/
Thanks - the video is now over 38,000 views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Great book. Very well done.
Best regards,
Kevin
Thanks Kevin.
Old November 09, 2019, 07:38   #130
Slow
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17330
THIS BOOK

Lovin it. been waiting for it and it has exceeded my expectations. Learning much about my 3 FN 49's, the AL, Egyptian, and Vennie.
The side bars are full of very interesting bits of info.

What’s the point in ever trying to be happy when the very pursuit of happiness is what makes you miserable.

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but i can't stick my head that far up my ass

"The earth swarms with people who are not worth talking to" -Voltaire

"If you mix fat and lies, you get Bill, not soap. Throw in some stupid, and it turns to Vince." - ce

"Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato
Slow is offline   Reply With Quote