The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old January 27, 2020, 22:09   #1
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Interesting note from Zastava

As they're one of the few games in town with reasonably priced Mauser actions left, their caliber options left a few things to be desired, but they told me that they will be bringing out some traditional Mauser calibers to include 9.3 x 62 during this year when I e-mailed them about availability. I suggest e-mailing to see if 6.5 x 55 is also on the "to do" list for them and let them know folks want it. They do have 7 x 57 available now.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2020, 09:55   #2
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
The 9.3 sounds interesting.

My 6.5 is a CZ and the 7X57 is a M98 Steyr dirty bird custom. Anyone interested in these old Mauser cartridges had best lay in a supply. Loaded ammo is still available, but pricey and new brass cases run about $0.70+ ea.
Privi PPU was the best bang for a buck I could find.
Old February 03, 2020, 09:12   #3
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
6.5x55 & 7x57 are two of my all time favorites calibers...
Had the itch for a 9.3x62 Husqvarna some years ago,,but 35 Whelen in an 03' scratched it pretty good without funky size bullets, brass or at that time about impossible to find and very expensive ammo.

Just saying...
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2020, 09:21   #4
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
I've hunted in Africa a couple times with a CZ Mauser in 7 X 57. Nice rifle and a good performing round.
Old February 03, 2020, 19:13   #5
HankC
Registered

FALaholic #: 20436
When Century imported their rifles, they were priced $400-450, that is a good price but they are in $600+ range now. Howa is better priced and better quality. I have both.
HankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2020, 20:25   #6
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankC View Post
When Century imported their rifles, they were priced $400-450, that is a good price but they are in $600+ range now. Howa is better priced and better quality. I have both.
True that...
At that price point they would need to at least be equivalent to CZ's mauser offerings.
I havent seen a new yugo mauser in many years, but the older ones sure werent CZ equivalents.
Old February 04, 2020, 08:04   #7
SWOHFAL
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankC View Post
Are they controlled feed?

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old February 04, 2020, 08:32   #8
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
Are they controlled feed?
Mauser type 'controlled round feed' holds a special place in my heart and always will.
Not only in mauser actions, but 1903's, winchester pre 64's and other classic bolt actions.
But lets face it, it truly amounts to little today and serves a needed purpose in about .001% of actual use.
There isent a single military I know of that fields a bolt action with one, nor a single battle rifle, semi auto or machine gun that seems to need one to operate perfectly reliably in conditions much worse and life threatening then most any bolt action rifle, or somebody here, will ever see...
Just my .02
Old February 04, 2020, 09:52   #9
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Mauser type 'controlled round feed' holds a special place in my heart and always will.
Not only in mauser actions, but 1903's, winchester pre 64's and other classic bolt actions.
But lets face it, it truly amounts to little today and serves a needed purpose in about .001% of actual use.
There isent a single military I know of that fields a bolt action with one, nor a single battle rifle, semi auto or machine gun that seems to need one to operate perfectly reliably in conditions much worse and life threatening then most any bolt action rifle, or somebody here, will ever see...
Just my .02
Mebbe true, but I'm going to be ready for the .001%.

For me, it's never been the CRF feature of the Mauser bolt, but the Claw Extractor that pulls anything out of the chamber not wanting to come out. This is not all that important with today's clean burning ammunition and/or a rifle properly maintained, but if I had to go rough it in the Puckerbrush for a while, there would be a Mauser bolt rifle with me.

I do have one of them "pushie feed" rifles, a Rem M700 PSS. It seems to work OK, but it don't give me a warm comfy feeling. It has, on several occasions, failed to extract a fired case, not a big deal for me these days, but I don't trust its kind.

B'sides, it's hard to retrain old dogs.
Old February 04, 2020, 10:01   #10
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post

I do have one of them "pushie feed" rifles, a Rem M700 PSS.
MAINER,,,,,You mean to tell me you DONT have a single FAL,,or even a lowly AR... or heaven forbid, one of those commie AK's....

Im shocked and appalled....
Old February 04, 2020, 14:12   #11
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
MAINER,,,,,You mean to tell me you DONT have a single FAL,,or even a lowly AR... or heaven forbid, one of those commie AK's....

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2020, 10:46   #12
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:

Oh, those things, hell yeah!!. Thought we was talking just Bolt Actions riffles here, my bad.

Reminds me, got a couple FALs needing assembly. AR's are not thought of "lowly" here, that old M 16 worked mostly fine for me in the '60's swamp fracas. "Beaucoup" rounds worked when nobody could see anything anyway.
I don't believe I would give it such high marks for usage in the sandbox. I'd want my M 14 back, screw the Clintons.

Don't like AK's, have no questions about the fuggers reliability and effectiveness however.

I might have a Single Shot and one or more Lever guns too. And a Handgun, think I have one of them also.
Old February 05, 2020, 10:52   #13
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
Oh, those things, hell yeah!!. Thought we was talking just Bolt Actions riffles here, my bad.

Reminds me, got a couple FALs needing assembly. AR's are not thought of "lowly" here, that old M 16 worked mostly fine for me in the '60's swamp fracas. "Beaucoup" rounds worked when nobody could see anything anyway.
I don't believe I would give it such high marks for usage in the sandbox. I'd want my M 14 back, screw the Clintons.

Don't like AK's, have no questions about the fuggers reliability and effectiveness however.

I might have a Single Shot and one or more Lever guns too. And a Handgun, think I have one of them also.

Cheers, yv
Old February 06, 2020, 20:56   #14
Heisser Mann
Registered

FALaholic #: 80843
Location: Firearms talk is main reason for joining from: Kingman Arizona
Quote:

Cheers, yv
From what I have seen Atlantic Firearms is the main dealer, and they are selling bolt guns with no sights and no Mannlicher stocked rifles. I emailed Zastava and they said they have no plans to change their lineup. So...typical stupid ass rifles with no fkn sights, all the same style, very few calibers. Hope this changes.
Heisser Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2020, 02:32   #15
SWOHFAL
Registered

Quote:
Just my .02
Well, if I want a 9.3 x 62, I'm looking for a Mauser-action, not a push-feed. I don't see anything I'd shoot w/ 6.5 x 55 or 7 x 57 being that dangerous, so I could get by with something less.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky