The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old December 04, 2018, 20:44   #1
Bertellione
Registered

FALaholic #: 66658
HK weld jig RTG

Hi all I was wondering if anyone here has used the weld jig for doing 90 series guns. It's a pricy tool and looks great in the photos but does it work as well as it should for the money. It's worth it to buy the correct tools because I'm sick and easily addicted so it's not for building just one gun it will turn into another collection of all the different variations. I'm also looking on insight on all the other tooling required to do it correctly.

Thanks y'all
Old February 25, 2019, 09:11   #2
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

FALaholic #: 75823
Late on this reply, RTG HK tools are garbage.
Old February 25, 2019, 10:14   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Von Richter View Post
Late on this reply, RTG HK tools are garbage.
Please elaborate with specifics as to what you specifically had a problem with, and examples of your work, with and without the RTG jigs.
Old February 25, 2019, 13:27   #4
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Please elaborate with specifics as to what you specifically had a problem with, and examples of your work, with and without the RTG jigs.
Like a tomb here all of a sudden.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2019, 13:36   #5
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

I'm a tool slut and while I have too much FAL work to accept any HK work right now, I have been looking at some of the fixtures and Jigs he offers to buy, just because. (I mentioned I'm a tool slut?)

If there is a problem with it, I'd like to know. I suspect he would like to know as well so that it can be improved. But if one says it sucks, that person would need to provide some evidence both that it does suck, and that the person has the requisite technical expertise to make a fair evaluation.

There are those who say Bose speakers are junk and all marketing hype. They have all these frequency and wave length measurements for supporting their evaluation. I don't have the auditory discernment to know one way or the other. So I don't review speakers.

But I do know about this subject and am most interested in the poster's detailed analysis.
Old February 25, 2019, 13:57   #6
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I'm a tool slut and while I have too much FAL work to accept any HK work right now, I have been looking at some of the fixtures and Jigs he offers to buy, just because. (I mentioned I'm a tool slut?)

If there is a problem with it, I'd like to know. I suspect he would like to know as well so that it can be improved. But if one says it sucks, that person would need to provide some evidence both that it does suck, and that the person has the requisite technical expertise to make a fair evaluation.

There are those who say Bose speakers are junk and all marketing hype. They have all these frequency and wave length measurements for supporting their evaluation. I don't have the auditory discernment to know one way or the other. So I don't review speakers.

But I do know about this subject and am most interested in the poster's detailed analysis.
I'm the same way about certain magazines.
People bad mouth them, but when asked, quickly learn they've never own the certain make or brand, just "heard" they are bad.
Internet.

Old February 27, 2019, 21:23   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Yeah, he's had enough time and is posting elsewhere, so I guess the logical conclusion is that Klaus Von Richter is full of shit.
Old February 27, 2019, 21:41   #8
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, he's had enough time and is posting elsewhere, so I guess the logical conclusion is that Klaus Von Richter is full of shit.
Well, I'd like to see a picture of the tool(s) in his actual possession, an example of his substandard work from use of said tool, and also a sales receipt from RTG, but barring all of that, suspect ya are correct.

Old February 27, 2019, 21:48   #9
akinnepa
Registered

FALaholic #: 63099
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Well, I'd like to see a picture of the tool(s) in his actual possession, an example of his substandard work from use of said tool, and also a sales receipt from RTG, but barring all of that, suspect ya are correct.
I have a HK parts jig, the rtg jigs that I have seen first-hand have been identical
Old February 27, 2019, 21:52   #10
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
All weld fixtures suck. I want one that deslags automatically when sliding pieces on, prevents warping if welded non stop from left to right, positions perfectly no matter where parts were torch cut, auto trims overlapping sections, and made of solid brass so I can deep weld without care. And it has to be $150 or less. Except for the finishing option which has these little disks that swing out and clean the welds so it’s paint ready, that’s a $50 upgrade. Screw you guys I got a dream.

Last edited by Abominog; February 27, 2019 at 21:57.
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2019, 22:00   #11
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinnepa View Post
I have a HK parts jig, the rtg jigs that I have seen first-hand have been identical
Thanks

That's about what was expected.

Working in wood, which I do, there is a lot of "wiggle room",,, working in metal, there are 10/1000ths or less.

Anyone orders a batch of jigs, when they first arrive, pull out blueprints, check all critical dimensions,,,,,,,at least that's what I'd do before selling them.

Old February 27, 2019, 22:09   #12
akinnepa
Registered

FALaholic #: 63099
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Thanks

That's about what was expected.

Working in wood, which I do, there is a lot of "wiggle room",,, working in metal, there are 10/1000ths or less.

Anyone orders a batch of jigs, when they first arrive, pull out blueprints, check all critical dimensions,,,,,,,at least that's what I'd do before selling them.
They have a much higher tolerance than wood. Go slow, if it feels like too much pressure, stop and bend one or two pumps at a time on each side
Old February 28, 2019, 11:02   #13
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
He got an out of spec jig from RTG. I remember he posted specs and pics in the HKPro.com forum a while back when the saga unfolded (years ago), along with pictures of many of his builds. If I remember, RTG was less than pleased with his scathing expose.

Maybe KVR has a full time job and a family and is focused on pending para FAL build, and does not have the time or energy to rehash the whole incident all over again? It's rather ironic that T. Mark Gunplumber has no issue talking shit on DSArms any chance he gets, yet KVR cannot express his experience based opinion on T. Marks good buddy RTG's wares.

Just think how much more productive T. Mark Gunplumber could be if he actually worked on customer projects and less time trolling the internet looking for an argument, or trying to prove he is smarter than everyone else?
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2019, 11:14   #14
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp View Post
He got an out of spec jig from RTG. I remember he posted specs and pics in the HKPro.com forum
You might have noticed that this is not HK Pro?

Quote:
It's rather ironic that T. Mark Gunplumber has no issue talking shit on DSArms any chance he gets
With complete documentation here

Quote:
yet KVR cannot express his experience based opinion on T. Marks good buddy RTG's wares.
With no documentation here

Quote:
Just think how much more productive T. Mark Gunplumber could be if he actually worked on customer projects and less time trolling the internet looking for an argument, or trying to prove he is smarter than everyone else?
I assure you, it's not difficult. I'm really that awesome.
Old February 28, 2019, 19:07   #15
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Old February 28, 2019, 20:19   #16
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

Quote:
Wow Mark you must be really infatuated with me to troll all my recent posts. It must have really hurt your ego that I didn’t respond to your post. I’m sorry I haven’t seen this thread since my original reply. I have been working 10 hour days on a gas turbine overhaul at work, and by the time I get home I typically spend it with my family. I forgot all about this thread.

I have owned an HKparts bending jig, RTG bending jig, and a RTG straightening mandrel. So I have some experience with RTG tools. I have built a couple HK builds. I wouldn’t take the title of “ Master Gunsmith”, but I have built a Cetme C, multiple G3 rifles, G3K, HK93, HK53, and a MP5. So, I think I’m competent in determining if a HK tool works or not.

My experience with RTG and their tools wasn’t a pleasant one. Robert is an arrogant prick just like you Mark. I use to order from RTG a lot for my HK builds and he was always selling worn out Surplus as very good, or claimed POF rejects as “ as good as German HK parts”. All of that was forgivable since he was cheaper than HKparts. Then I ordered one of his straightening mandrels. It was machined off on a couple dimensions. No big deal, it happens with all mass produced parts. It not Uncommon to get brand new turbine parts from Westinghouse or General Electric that are out of spec. I emailed them pictures of my measurements and what was wrong. It was shipped back to them. At first they said they were going to check the measurements “In House”. Once the tracking showed it arrived back to them they quit responding. After about a week and a half they responded that they did have the “means” to measure the mandrel “in-house” and they were sending it back to the manufacturer. All it takes is some dial calipers to do a quick check to confirm, but whatever. About a week later Robert sent me a nasty email that The mandrel was fine and that I was incompetent and didn’t know what I was doing. He also accused me of trying to use the mandrel to do re-welds, which I wasn’t. Then about two days later the manufacturer emailed me with a tracking number and saying the mandrel was out of spec and that they were sending me a new one. I don’t remember the manufacturers name but they were in Arizona. I forwarded that email to RTG and wanted to know what their problem was when the manufacturer agreed the mandrel was off. That’s when I posted the ordeal on HKpro and RTG showed his true colors for all to see. He looked so bad that he nuked the thread.

I have all the photos of the two different mandrels and their measurements, I just need to post one to show it was out of spec and anyone worth their weight would know why it is wrong.

This measurement sets the inner dimension from inner rail to rail.

Old mandrel

New mandrel

RTG is a lair and a cheat. I don’t do business with him any more and that is why I think his tools are garbage.

Here are some of my builds

So Mark I don’t why you have to act like such a childish prick. You could have easily PMed me to ask me to explain myself and put up or shut up. Instead you went trolling all my recent posts acting like an ass. I hope this post is brought validation to satisfy your ego. I highly doubt it.
Old February 28, 2019, 21:27   #17
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Wow Mark you must be really infatuated with me to troll all my recent posts.
Well, you made a rather serious accusation with no explanation and then ran away. What did you expect?

Quote:
I ordered one of his straightening mandrels.
hmm - this thread is about the welding jig he sells - So can we take from all this that you don't have one, haven't used one, and are pissed off over a different tool that the manufacturer (who is not Robert) replaced?

"RTG is a lair and a cheat . . .and that is why I think his tools are garbage."

Well, I think you're being a douchebag, and that's why your gas turbine work is garbage.

Oh wait - that makes zero sense. But oh well. If it works for you, it works for me.

I've known Robert for well over 20 years. Not known "of him" but a personal relationship - he used to live down the road from me. We've done tens of thousands of dollars in business just on his word. We even had a major disagreement once that left us both very angry, and thankfully it was successfully arbitrated by a mutual friend. He's one of the few people in whom I have total trust and confidence.

I'm sorry you had a poor experience - assuming your side of the story is accurate it sounds like it wasn't handled well. Heck, if your story is accurate, I'd agree it was handled damn poorly.

But I must remain skeptical of your story, because you condemn all the parts and tools he sells, based on a problem with one tool (that he didn't make) and which was replaced by the manufacturer.

That indicates that you are not being honest. If you were being honest, your post would be

"I had a problem with one of the tools he resells - not the welding jig on which you (the OP) are inquiring, but a straightening mandrel - it was out of spec. Robert handled it very poorly (and I am furious with him over that), but it was eventually replaced with a correct one by the manufacturer"

You had your tool replaced with a good one. You have every right to be pissed off if you believe your claim was handled poorly. You can even believe that it is a reflection on Robert as a person (although my experience has been different). To make the blanket statement that "his tools are garbage" is emphatically not true.

Curiously, you have not expressed condemnation of the tools and parts from another vendor you've patronized. A vendor who's now serving time in federal prison for being convicted of multiple counts of "lying and cheating".

Last edited by gunplumber; February 28, 2019 at 21:45.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2019, 21:46   #18
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

Quote:
Well, you made a rather serious accusation with no explanation and then ran away. What did you expect?

hmm - this thread is about the welding jig he sells - So can we take from all this that you don't have one, haven't used one, and are pissed off over a different tool that the manufacturer (who is not Robert) replaced?

"RTG is a lair and a cheat . . .and that is why I think his tools are garbage."

Well, I think you're being a douchebag, and that's why your gas turbine work is garbage.

Oh wait - that makes zero sense. But oh well. If it works for you, it works for me.

I've known Robert for well over 20 years. Not known "of him" but a personal relationship - he used to live down the road from me. We've done tens of thousands of dollars in business just on his word. He's one of the few people in whom I have total trust and confidence.

I'm sorry you had a poor experience - assuming your side of the story is accurate it sounds like it wasn't handled well. But I must remain skeptical of your story, because you condemn all the parts and tools he sells, based on a problem with one tool (that he didn't make) and which was replaced by the manufacturer.

That indicates that you are not being honest. If you were being honest, your post would be

"I had a problem with one of the tools he resells - not the welding jig on which you (the OP are inquiring), but a straightening mandrel - it was out of spec. Robert handled it poorly, but it was replaced with a correct one by the manufacturer"

Instead, you turn it into an emotional condemnation of all his parts and all his tools. Curiously, you have not expressed condemnation of the tools and parts from another vendor you've patronized. A vendor who's now serving time in federal prison for being convicted of multiple counts of "lying and cheating".

It sounds like you are getting emotional because I don’t have anything nice to say about your liar friend.

I could argue with you all night and it wouldn’t make a difference but I’d rather spend that time with my family. The OP asked about RTG and his tools. I was the only one to respond. If you have input on his tools from experience maybe the OP would like to hear.

Goodnight
Old February 28, 2019, 21:56   #19
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2019, 21:58   #20
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
I could argue with you all night and it wouldn’t make a difference ...
Correct, you'd still lose.

Quote:
The OP asked about RTG and his tools. I was the only one to respond.
You apparently have never purchased the specific tool on which he is inquiring. He also asked for general info on other tools. You lied in claiming that all his tools are garbage. Then we learn you had one out of spec tool and the manufacturer replaced it with a correct one.

I get you are pissed at Robert for how you say he handled it. You may be justified. But lying about all the tools he sells, only discredits you.
Old February 28, 2019, 22:05   #21
hkshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5391
I like cake.

And tools, too.

I won't buy the RTG tools.

Too much money for a single project.

I intend to build my own bending jig, though. I think maybe I'm a little intimidated by it because I've been stalling for over a year. I have my welder now so I can't use that excuse.
Old March 01, 2019, 10:06   #22
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
Quote:
Correct, you'd still lose.

You apparently have never purchased the specific tool on which he is inquiring. He also asked for general info on other tools. You lied in claiming that all his tools are garbage. Then we learn you had one out of spec tool and the manufacturer replaced it with a correct one.

I get you are pissed at Robert for how you say he handled it. You may be justified. But lying about all the tools he sells, only discredits you.
Interesting. Dave S. of DS Arms is high on your list of “liars and cheats” because he peddles some (but not all) bad product. But your life long friend RTG also peddles some (but not all) bad product but he is not worthy of the “liar and cheat” moniker? You should add “Hypocrite” to your Master Gunsmith title.
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 01, 2019, 10:16   #23
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp View Post
Interesting. Dave S. of DS Arms is high on your list of “liars and cheats” because he peddles some (but not all) bad product. But your life long friend RTG also peddles some (but not all) bad product but he is not worthy of the “liar and cheat” moniker? You should add “Hypocrite” to your Master Gunsmith title.
Nice try, but you fail again. Are you really that stupid? Or are you once again being disingenuous?

I specifically endorse and praise some DSA parts - because they are good.

I criticize some DSA parts - because they are crap. And not an isolated incident but a well-established pattern (independently confirmed by many others).

I criticize Dave personally, because he is captain of the ship - and DSA is knowingly selling defective parts YEARS after being put on notice as to their problems. I criticize DSA for years of slandering me for documenting and publicizing their issues.

At no point have I suggested that because Dave is dishonest, and some DSA parts have a pattern of defects spanning years - that "DSA parts suck".

KVR had one bad part that was replaced. And this is one instance that RTG may have handled poorly, which I noted.

So - as usual - you are full of shit, and can go fcuk yourself.
Old March 01, 2019, 15:26   #24
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

It wasn’t just me that got an out of spec mandrel. There were a couple others on WeaponsGuild that got out of spec mandrels as well.
Old March 01, 2019, 17:25   #25
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Quote:
It wasn’t just me that got an out of spec mandrel. There were a couple others on WeaponsGuild that got out of spec mandrels as well.
So they all got out of spec mandrel from the same manufacturer that RTG sold but didn't make right? How exactly does that make it RTGs fault?

Oh and your Nazi avatar is in bad taste.
Old January 16, 2020, 18:44   #26
kaipo_boy
Registered

FALaholic #: 73676
Hate the nazi avatar, but love the MG34? 42?
At the time I made my first HK, mandrels weren't being sold by anyone except Holescreek, who made small runs by himself. The funds weren't there, but plenty of specs existed on weaponsguild to make your own, so I did (with a little help from Holescreek, which tells you how much of a generous/straight shooter he is). Haven't even used mine, yet; the bolts seem to run pretty good without the need to straighten anything if you take your time to fold it slow and carefully. For what its worth, ALL the existing straightening mandrels look like copies of Holescreek's original work.

As to the RTG allegations, why don't you guys give it a rest already? Sounds like OP has a valid grievance if the fact pattern is as he described. Could he have been more tolerant? Sure. Could RTG have been more acccomodating? You betcha. Manufacturer stepped in and its settled. Done. Step away and live/let live. The key question here is one of damages. Does either side have lasting damages that were not mentioned? For OP it would be small, a couple of fubar'd receiver flats maybe. For RTG, its an embarrassing thread and a bad business example. But if its accurate, its how the market operates, he sells a little bit of his reputation in each sale. So, he's smarter and wiser now and maybe will look at future returns with a bit more tolerance?
kaipo_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2020, 19:40   #27
hkshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaipo_boy View Post

As to the RTG allegations, why don't you guys give it a rest already?
I believe this had died and might have stayed dead. That is, until you dug it up. Last post was last March, I think they were done with it. But thanks for helping with the revival.
Old January 16, 2020, 20:00   #28
kaipo_boy
Registered

FALaholic #: 73676
Oh jeez, I never even saw the post date! argh. My bad.
kaipo_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2020, 00:04   #29
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
Timing is everything.......
garandguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote