The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old January 05, 2020, 20:28   #1
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor load developement

Been chasing a more accurate load for my Ruger 6.5 to use in a 300 yard F Class match. Have a decent load that is based on Hornady's factory match round that does well, but I'm getting clobbered by a couple of 6mm wildcat shooters. I did a test of 10 rounds in .2gr. increments, using IMR 4350 instead of the usual H4350. Found a null at 41.6grs. and loaded up 10 rounds. The 5 shot test group at 100 yards is the best I've ever managed. The 300 yard group spread to 2", but that is probably more me then anything else. Hopefully I'll do better in this coming weekend's match.

When I got to round 4, I still only had one hole in the cardboard. I stopped to admire my work. Should have just sent the last one.

Old January 06, 2020, 11:32   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Anytime I have a stunning group going if lift cheek off the stock to reposition or worse, just look through spotting scope to see if it agrees with what I see through the scope then will usually throw the next shot when try to.resettle into the rifle. My best groups are usually when dial about four inches of offset and only look at aiming point & not at actual group till last round is fired. Especially if shooting on aiming point and first three or four blow away my aiming point and having to guess where in the middle of the overlapping holes the original target dot was located.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2020, 13:27   #3
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
These were about 3~4" above the aiming point, due to the rifle being zeroed for 300. Should have never paused to look at the group in the spotting scope. I could see it just as well through the 40x Nightforce Benchrest. Come to find out this morning, that there will probably not be a match this month. There are only a handful of us that show up and three of those will not be on hand this weekend. Maybe just use the free day to send rounds down range. Every Saturday is a different match at the gun club.
Old January 07, 2020, 09:52   #4
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Excellent thread.
One thing that I have done for years with my precision rifles is, shoot one shot prone, stand up, refresh the eyes then get back into position for another shot, repeat until desired group has been shot. I like 10 rnd groups.
One of the competitions I used to shoot in required one shot, stand and do 10 jumping jacks before getting down prone for the next shot. What a wonderful way to learn breathing, heart rate and trigger control.
It also helps the old fat dude to shed some of the Winter flab that seems to accumulate under the belt.
This is a test of the entire weapon system which includes the trigger monkey and form, not just the rifle or ammo.
RVN 67-68
ArtBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020, 02:15   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Much easier as pass 60 to buy a good range finder, ballistics tablet for field use, Anne no meter and good bipod or shooting sticks. This standing, sitting and prone is for younger guys as I like to get a solid rest after my smart phone gives me a firing solution from Strelock Pro or my handheld Windows computer with software the military is using for their 2,000 yard 7.6251 shots to three mile CheyTac kills spits out my firing solution. Just put a 12-36x with almost the right BDC dial and shoot setup on one of my AR 10 6XCs. Can't wait to dial up coyotes at 600 to 1,200 yards and end their lives.

Have yet to build an M14 as promised. My first FAL build I went to Simpsonjcats house and had him walk me through the tricks of the trade. Going to have to get my parts and come visit or maybe you have a friend in North Georgia that can hold my hand on the first. Had a 30+ year military armored teach me the AR 15/M16 in my teens. In my twenties took the week long introductory 1911 builders class from Jim Stroh who beat out Bill Wilson for pistol smith of the year and later took his week long intermediate 1911 builders course. Being shown the magic without galling a lot of expensive parts makes buidling guns more fun.

Have Mini 14, AR 15, AR 10, 30 Carbine all under control. Just need to learn some M14 magic and can fatten my fleet. While an accurate AR 10 is an easy build to 1,200 yards the M14 is most elegant MBR ever made IMO. I want to build some 6.5s rather than buy pre-rolled by Springfield.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote