The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old December 26, 2019, 13:00   #1
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
My Oldest M1A Is 40 This Week

In JUNE of 1979, I ordered, paid-in-full, (3) M1As from Springfield Armory of Genseo, IL: (1) "Standard", (1) N.M., and (1) "Super Match. You computer geeks with the "dot-com", "instant NOW" drive-through mentality note: the first one came in on the 14th of December, the Super Match on the 21st and the N.M. in MARCH of 1980.

The standard was so funky I wouldn't give it to a communist or goat-raper. The rails inside the heel were un-parallel, wavy in appearance, as if it came out the mould too early, maybe too soft, (?) the op-rod would not stay in and hopped out of its rails nearly every time you pulled it to the rear, it had a Garand rear sight, the stock, although "new" aftermarket was gobbed all to hell in the butt area and under the receiver with the rear swivels from other rifles/stocks banging it up as they threw them around in Geneseo. To make it a total P.O.S, it grouped worse than my HK 91, with USGI LC ammo. Pathetic.

The Super Match came in on the 21st, and I still have it. Years ago I sent it to Jon Tank to install it in a MacMillan A2 stock using one of his Fort Devin liners. It came glass-bedded allegedly by Glen Nelson and has heavy Douglas barrel in 1 in 10". The op-rod guide was slightly canted and I had to have it removed and a new one correctly installed to allow the op-rod to travel freely to the rear without binding.

So it is 40 YEARS OLD this week.

Jarhead
Old December 26, 2019, 13:21   #2
Tip_drill
Registered

FALaholic #: 82930
I knew a sergeant that was AMTU , he had a team issue M14 that had a lug welded to the back of the receiver that had a drilled and tap'd hole in the lug where a screw came up from the stock , right under where the back of the trigger housing relief cut was, this screw applied a constant tension to the receiver stock fit and took the pressure off the trigger housing for stock clamp pressure, the stock he had was a McMillian fiberglass that was custom fitted to his length of pull....The stock was glass bedded and so was an aluminum bushing for the aforementioned set screw....When they transitioned to the AR he told me he wasn't happy.

The selector shaft was welded solid and the rifle had a heavy stainless barrel....Too bad these are not sold on the civilian market.

If i were ever to buy or build a M14 i would want this type of enhanced, accurized receiver to start with.

Last edited by Tip_drill; December 26, 2019 at 13:27.
Tip_drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2019, 14:28   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
My oldest AR 15 purchased new in box turns forty in two years and oldest M1a purchased new in box turns forty in four years. Have older but I didn't buy them new in the box myself but from their original owners.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2019, 19:35   #4
Democrat1
Registered

FALaholic #: 9132
I bought a Supermatch used during the summer of 1978, and shot it intensively for 4 summers, then switched to the M1, and eventually to the AR. I only very occasionally shot the M1A, and usually only at short range because wear in the throat caused it to throw fliers at 600.

I had it rebuilt in early 2018 with a new Krieger barrel and new bedding. In the summer of '18, I took it back to Camp Perry for the M1A match, and came in 95th of 353. My offhand was awful, but the other stages I shot decently.
Democrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2019, 20:20   #5
TnHawk-45
Registered

FALaholic #: 13892
My super match was initially built as a plain Match rifle in 1979. Was turned over to Frank Smith and Gene Barnett when they were running the National Guard MTU for building. It came back to me for Christmas of 79.

It was later bedded into a Walnut M1a2 stock and I am still shooting it.
TnHawk-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2019, 05:49   #6
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
This one is 1963 vintage. Just finished a build with 1-10 Kreiger Heavy SS and mostly TRW parts.

TRW finished heel with USMC sight cover..jpgTRW stock 98.jpg
RVN 67-68

Last edited by ArtBanks; December 29, 2019 at 06:26.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2019, 06:45   #7
frankxtc
Registered

FALaholic #: 10952
Very nice to see and read about these outstanding rifles!
Clint Fowler built this for me in 2003, I shot it in Service Rifle for years.
I can feel that it wants to escape the safe and visit the range soon.

dsc00705 copy

dsc00708 copy
I do not go in for collecting guns.
I never buy a gun unless I really need it.
As a matter of fact, I really only need about a dozen, or possibly fourteen, more guns than I have now.
frankxtc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2019, 07:05   #8
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Awesome. Gotta love them Kreigers.

Kreight barrel.jpg
RVN 67-68
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote