Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old January 02, 2020, 19:03   #1
D P Six
Registered

FALaholic #: 15219
Python is back.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry...20-/29-294358/

Colt has reintroduced the Python in SS. Very attractive revolver listed @ $1500. The lockwork is changed which in not necessarily a bad thing. If you actually used your vintage Python you probably found them near impossible to keep in time ... a problem as few know how to work on them and most well know Colt smiths are dead or retired. In any case I haven't had a Python jones in decades but this may be what many have been waiting for if they missed the boat on the originals.
D P Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2020, 19:11   #2
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
I'm sure it will be a big seller. I had a Python long ago and never thought it lived up to the hype. The DA trigger was not as good as my Smith's. It was however a good looking gun.

Luckily my stayed in time, but I didn't shoot it enough to wear it out though.
Right Side Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2020, 19:29   #3
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
My first CF handgun was a 6 inch Python and I did manage to shoot it out of time. I did really like that revolver but the 586/686 won me over.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2020, 20:38   #4
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Iím not a Colt guy at all when it comes to revolvers, but itís nice to see Colt trying something realistic outside of ARs and 1911s for a change.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!Ē -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2020, 21:31   #5
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
And about 10mins after I posted above I got the email from one of the Australian dealers about placing pre-orders for the newly released Pythons... !!
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2020, 23:10   #6
hkshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5391
FK Colt. They dumped the majority of their line back in the early 90's and made some models "custom shop only", a move that instantly made an $800 six shooter command $2500.
This around the same time S&W made their near fatal PC move that cost them millions in sales and customers. It's my opinion they haven't made anything relevant in two decades and bringing back dinosaurs from a bygone era is admitting they are hurting and digging for a miracle. The only Colt product I've bought in the last twenty years is the used AR bolt group and charging handle from the MP yesterday.

I remember the 70's era Pythons. They were damn gorgeous and I wanted one bad. A six inch so I could have all the high polished royal blue I could get. Dropping the line and it's subsequent price increase of existing inventory put one way, way out of reach for my young working ass at the time. Today there's still not a revolver of any flavor I'd pay Python money for, no way, no how.
And much like S&W, I bet the new Python is a shadow of it's former self. We'll see but there's no Smith revolver made today that holds the same quality of 30 or 40 years ago. I bet Colt cuts the same corners with the same lame results.
We'll see.
Old January 09, 2020, 19:39   #7
gunshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 77038
I have never met a Colt trigger I didn't like! Maybe I live a sheltered life!

A 4 inch nickel Python, a 6 inch blued Python and the old Trooper have some pretty nice triggers that I can get on target with.

I also really enjoy a well used MKIII Trooper with a replaced trigger with a sweet trigger also. The new trigger on a previously unfired LPC (a MKIII fitted with a laser) was a bit stiff.

I also thought My Ruger Security Six wasn't bad either.

Now what agitates me is now I gotta go and seek out a good Smith or 2 and a new Python!

BA Humbug!
gunshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2020, 21:29   #8
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I will probably buy one when the market for them stabilizes. I love revolvers, and Colt handguns, and this is both. I have an old 4Ē blued Python that was well loved before I got it. In other words the previous owner obviously considered it a working gun and used it accordingly and the wear shows. I like shooting it but honestly donít do so as I have others in the rotation. I also have a Colt 3-5-7, a couple of Official Police .38s, and an Officerís Model Match that all have nearly as sweet an action and trigger as the Python. And a bunch of other Colts, S&Ws and Rugers, and one each Dan Wesson, Rossi, Charter, H&R, and Taurus. Yes, it is a sickness.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020, 14:29   #9
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
I think the Trooper MKIII was a much better gun.
garandguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020, 15:02   #10
Tip_drill
Registered

FALaholic #: 82930
I would LOVE to have one.....I have no funds for such an extravagance,however.

One thing that does look a little off to me is the trigger......It doesnt look like the same shape as the old Python....Other than that its GORGEOUS
Tip_drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2020, 01:31   #11
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Well...

Here's what I saw today:

1970 six inch Python with box, easy 98% piece tagged at $1800. Sold at $200 less than that.

Colt six inch Diamondback with box. Tagged at $1200, could have been bought easy at $1100.00 and just as clean as the Python, just no takers

Early Colt Officers Model Target in .22 LR
pre war gun, better than 95%...tagged at $800, probably could have been bought at $700, maybe less

then there was a Colt Police Positive target in .22WRF in maybe 90% tagged at $550
Only one of these that sold was the Python which was probably purchased by a GunJoker reseller where it will likely be flipped at a quick $500 profit margin.

These pistols were at a rural show, on tables and private sellers...cash and carry buys

my view is all Colt is doing is capitalizing on the goofy price escalation that occurred to vintage Pythons do inclusion in a couple serialized cable shows
yeah Americans really are that stupid

Similar shit went down with the S&W M29 when the Eastwood Dirty Harry movies came out
What had been a pistol with a sub $300 MSRP suddenly were running up to a GRAND in late 70s dollars and all because a bunch of asshats were competing to arm up like Detective Harry Callahan with the most powerful pistol on the planet

It's true old school Python could go out of time
quite a bit of that was all due to asses with hats abusing their guns
Same was true of vintage M29 .44 magnums
Why did this happen ?
Well folks feeding these guns a steady diet of magnum rounds

while there used to be much more reloading truth is people who bought magnums generally only shot magnum pressured ammo through them, reloaders or not
Seen this time and again and again again

It was seriously common with S&W .41 Magnums as all you could feed one unless you reloaded was full house magnum
.357s you could always run .38 special, .44 magnums, .44 special
thing was whether you bought magnum or lower powered special food to feed your revolver the cost was very similar so many folks went on strictly magnum diets

Trust me, even Ruger Super Blackhawks will loosen with that abuse. Just takes a bit longer

Then were just once common abusive pistol handling techniques like slapping the cylinder into closure either with a wrist snap or with the fat of the off hand palm
Well the cylinder's rotating inertia serious smacked the stop in these "manly" Hollywood acts and quickly brought higher end guns way out of time
A Korth can't withstand that abuse either, ask me how I know...

As far is this new offering ?
Well good on them.
Sounds like it's basically a glorified Trooper model in Python camoflauge though

#NotaPython
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2020, 11:32   #12
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Geez...they actually hired some intelligent management for once?

Wonder how long it will take before these are sold out everywhere?

The GP100 is still the finest DA sixgun ever produced though. I love that you can feel the cylinder bolt drop so much earlier than the hammer fall.
Old January 14, 2020, 16:53   #13
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
The GP100 is still the finest DA sixgun ever produced though.
The GP is a damn fine handgun, and hell for stout. But the one I had just did not stir my soul and when an offer to swap it for a pristine Browning BL22 came along, the GP went. Full disclosure, I have seven other Ruger .357 Magnums.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2020, 05:02   #14
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
I found another one for sale (right now) for $1,525 plus tax.

The store salesman kept encouraging me to at least handle it and check it out. He wanted a sale but I ain't paying a penny above MSRP. Once the word gets out over a couple of years just how good these new Pythons are I might considering buying one for $1,200.

So far there are a number of complaints on Youtube reviews about them. Time will tell.

Best Drop 8 time, 9.41, 8 for 8
6.5 Grendel AR15
parallaxbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2020, 04:04   #15
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
My python broke this year. I might shoot a box or 2 every year. Cracked at the forcing cone. Got it back in Ď78. I was shooting fiocchi when it cracked.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2020, 04:41   #16
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
My python broke this year. I might shoot a box or 2 every year. Cracked at the forcing cone. Got it back in Ď78. I was shooting fiocchi when it cracked.
Dang, hate to hear that! That would hurt my feelings if it happened to me.

My Charter Bull Dog Pug broke last month but I was sort of expecting that. It hardly phased me.

Best Drop 8 time, 9.41, 8 for 8
6.5 Grendel AR15
parallaxbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2020, 17:11   #17
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
These things are getting bid up past the price of original 1960s and 70s guns.....people really cant think past the end of their nose sometimes.
Old January 21, 2020, 14:14   #18
fireplug
Registered

FALaholic #: 67410
Had a Python in 1980,they really are nice,BUT my Smith Wesson 66 is my favorite hands down.
fireplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2020, 23:12   #19
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
I make it a point to never rush out and buy a 'new' or 'new-and-improved' anything. Let someone else be the beta-tester. Once the manufacturer gets the bugs worked out - or after the first (or second) recall, if it's a Ruger, then, perhaps. Colt either will or won't unfcuk this new Python, but either way, it just isn't the same as the original. I predict that the Python will revert to being a custom-shop-only proposition, after this semi-failed relaunch. You order it and pay through the nose, wait months for it to be delivered, and then send it off to a premier revolversmith to make it work like it should have when it left the custom shop.

We'll see.
Old January 25, 2020, 08:45   #20
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Had a friend back in the day who owned a beautiful Python 6". When we shot together he would pull that beautiful thing out of the gun rug and the luster almost would blind you. Me? Shooting a S&W 'Highway Patrolman'. No comparison in looks, but the Smith kept going while his Colt began to have timing problems.

No many of the manufacturers today display the same quality on re-introduced models as they once did. There is no comparison between my 1960's vintage S&W 'Chief's Special' and what passes for the new ones.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote