Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old May 29, 2019, 09:54   #1
Heisser Mann
Registered

FALaholic #: 80843
Location: Firearms talk is main reason for joining from: Kingman Arizona
Good news--Zastava is coming to USA

Great news, affordable Mauser will soon be here, available.

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/01/24...ased-operation

PAPS, TOKS AND MAUSERS FOR THE MASSES: ZASTAVA LAUNCHES U.S-BASED OPERATION
01/24/19 8:00 AM | by Chris Eger

If you are excited about PAPs, M70s, Tokarevs and Mauser bolt-action rifles, prepare to get happy. (Photos: Chris Eger/Guns.com)

Fresh off their 165th anniversary, Serbia’s Zastava Arms is done with working with importers and is set to bring an entire line of guns into the States under their own banner.

Zastava Arms USA, based in Des Plaines, Illinois, is the new U.S-based subsidiary of the European arms maker which traces its origin to the mid-19th Century. Showing off their America-bound models at SHOT Show on Wednesday, Ranko Ristic, Zastava USA’s CEO, had a lot to highlight.

But that’s not all.

Zastava, which was originally founded to make and repair arms for the Serbian military, has a long history with turn-bolt Mausers. As far back as the 1880s, Serbian Maj. Kosta Milovanović redesigned the single-shot Mauser Model 1871 to have a magazine and put it into production by Zastava as the Mauser-Koka, which saw service in WWI. By the 1920s, Zastava was making the FN-tweaked M24 Mauser, a gun that later morphed into the Yugoslav Model 1948 Mauser and remained in production for the country’s military well into the 1960s.

Ristic said the factory, which employs 2,500, never really put the classic bolt-action to bed and it is still in commercial production as the LK M70.

Featuring walnut furniture, a chrome-vanadium steel barrel and Mauser locking system, the Lux and Exclusive versions of the LK M70 rifle have varying degrees of inlay on both the wood and metal while the standard variant is plainer. There is also the LK M85 in .22 Hornet and the rimfire MP22. Further, an AK-based DMR-style semi-auto rifle, the M91, is slated to be on tap as well.

I downloaded their PDF Catalog and they have my favorite, the Mannlicher stocked bolt gun Mauser. Lots of great calibers, no mags to lose, all steel and wood. I am looking at getting at least 3-4 dif calibers, .308, 30-06, 7x57

here's a good video:

Last edited by Heisser Mann; May 29, 2019 at 10:03.
Heisser Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019, 11:53   #2
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Good to hear, but picking Illinois as their base of US operations strikes me as pretty stupid.

But, then again, what do I know...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019, 12:10   #3
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Good to hear, but picking Illinois as their base of US operations strikes me as pretty stupid.

But, then again, what do I know...

Forrest
My exact first thought!
Old May 29, 2019, 14:05   #4
Heisser Mann
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
My exact first thought!
I'd pick Idaho a first place to put down roots. Maybe they are thinking of the centrality of the location (roll out the map, point to the middle) or someone got a screamin' good deal on taxes!
I know that Buck Knives and Cabelas got that deal when they moved to Idaho.
Old May 29, 2019, 14:48   #5
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Oh my God Des Plaines of all places? What the hell?

Yes, close to the Airport. That's about all it has going for it.

Worthless CrOOK county Illinois in an anti-gun area.

I believe it was in Des Plaines in the late 70's when mentally ill Lori Dann walked into a grade school and shot several children to death, kicking off waves of hand gun bans in Illinois.

Why not gun friendly Georgia?
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019, 15:01   #6
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Chicago is logistics. Direct flights to everywhere and bulk sea cargo via the lakes to Europe.

I hope they make the MG42 in USA. They had all the tooling.
Old May 29, 2019, 15:36   #7
APEXgunparts
Registered

FALaholic #: 61867
Both Remington and Century tried to make a go of selling Zastava produced Mauser rifles.
Zastava even has a section about Remington on the "history" part of their web site.
They cost too much for what they are.

Zastava had a booth at the past Shot Show.
I didn't attend but did read that the pricing on the PaP's etc was noticeably higher than what Century had sold the guns for.
The majority of the guns displayed were commercial type firearms.

For a manufacturer to build guns on their own dime is a very different risk than when they are building to fill a purchase order and are paid upon delivery.
Now their (Zastava) capital is tied up for however many months it takes to sell all 500-1000 pieces, if they can even sell them all.
They (and their bank) will require a good return from that investment/risk.
Remington has the name, marketing and a distribution network.
If they couldn't sell Zastava hunting guns, I don't think this will go well for this new plan Zastava has.

I hope I am wrong... I truly like the guns they build.

Richard
Mon-Fri 9am to 4:30pm MT www.apexgunparts.com
APEXgunparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019, 16:20   #8
Heisser Mann
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEXgunparts View Post
Both Remington and Century tried to make a go of selling Zastava produced Mauser rifles.
Zastava even has a section about Remington on the "history" part of their web site.
They cost too much for what they are.

Zastava had a booth at the past Shot Show.
I didn't attend but did read that the pricing on the PaP's etc was noticeably higher than what Century had sold the guns for.
The majority of the guns displayed were commercial type firearms.

For a manufacturer to build guns on their own dime is a very different risk than when they are building to fill a purchase order and are paid upon delivery.
Now their (Zastava) capital is tied up for however many months it takes to sell all 500-1000 pieces, if they can even sell them all.
They (and their bank) will require a good return from that investment/risk.
Remington has the name, marketing and a distribution network.
If they couldn't sell Zastava hunting guns, I don't think this will go well for this new plan Zastava has.

I hope I am wrong... I truly like the guns they build.

Richard
You cant find a Mauser type actioned rifle except for the really high end/priced stuff like Kimber, Winchester, Montana etc--I truly cannot afford most of them. I understand the price for a Mauser will be about $800--lets see, if it starts inching over a grand I will grow skeptical.
Old May 29, 2019, 16:36   #9
HankC
Registered

FALaholic #: 20436
Hopefully they bring plenty of mini mauser extractors in the country!
HankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019, 18:07   #10
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
It’s the short-sighted belief that the middle man eats up the profit. If I were them I’d look at Century as an inexpensive marketing, sales, and support services supplier. Now outsourced, as Richard indicated, all that will have to be paid for weekly by a company with limited market exposure and virtually no brand identity. Good luck.

They should look at CZ, which with great products and pedigree still isn’t, after decades, a household name like SIG has become. If CZ can’t do it, how will they?

I’d forgo pushing the name and leverage the Serb and Yugo connection. I still don’t think that’s enough in a saturated AK market. And Mauser buyers want either German or cheap surplus. Not going to sell many Zabastaba-whatever Mausers unless they cut a deal with Mitchell’s to pull some good old false advertising.
Old May 29, 2019, 18:56   #11
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
What they said,,,,
Long before Remington tried and failed, ZCZ already had American failure stories.
Herters had them back in the 60's,,,then Interarms had them in the 70's, both known as the mark X.
Both started pretty decent and ended badly with a product that died on the vine, because prices seemed to go up monthly untill it was much too expensive for what it was.
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2019, 09:46   #12
Heisser Mann
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
Itís the short-sighted belief that the middle man eats up the profit. If I were them Iíd look at Century as an inexpensive marketing, sales, and support services supplier. Now outsourced, as Richard indicated, all that will have to be paid for weekly by a company with limited market exposure and virtually no brand identity. Good luck.

They should look at CZ, which with great products and pedigree still isnít, after decades, a household name like SIG has become. If CZ canít do it, how will they?

Iíd forgo pushing the name and leverage the Serb and Yugo connection. I still donít think thatís enough in a saturated AK market. And Mauser buyers want either German or cheap surplus. Not going to sell many Zabastaba-whatever Mausers unless they cut a deal with Mitchellís to pull some good old false advertising.
And CZ is pushing pushfeed tech now. If all I want is that, I can go to Remington and their $17 barrels--they must have a hundred variants of the 700 now.
Old September 04, 2019, 10:58   #13
Heisser Mann
Registered

Anyone hear if they (zastava) is selling yet in the US? I downloaded their catalog, intrigued by there bolt actions, but who's selling?
Old September 04, 2019, 11:13   #14
Charles_The_Hammer
BANNED

FALaholic #: 76904
I am going to buy one of their old Remington 798's one of these days.
Charles_The_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 04, 2019, 13:53   #15
HenryIV
Registered

FALaholic #: 80384
Atlantic has them.

I bought a ZPAP92 last week and itís great. I like retro AKs and so I prefer the Serbian style AK. Itís blued. It has no sight rail, which I donít want anyway. It has a nice double hook FCG. As a pistol itís all Serbian. Itís tough as a stump. I took it out last week with a brace and itís a blast to shoot.

I hope they do great in the market. Iím doing my part to help them buying their stuff. Atlantic has even sold out the next shipment of the M91 7.62x54 rifle at 3100$ each. Thatís impressive to pre sell an entire shipment of rifles that expensive.
HenryIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 04, 2019, 14:49   #16
Charles_The_Hammer
BANNED

FALaholic #: 76904
There are a couple of things I don't like about the old Zastava AK imports. I don't know if the same is true in regards to their new "US" ones, but my issues were the bolt hold open safety lever that I don't dig and the absolute novel written on one side of the receiver. Too many import markings, warnings, etc. I like "old school" AK's, as well. If they didn't have a copy of 'War and Peace' written on one side of the receiver I would buy one, replace the safety lever, then maybe press on a grenade sight gas block and add one of those beat up Balkan War stock sets (preferably with some cool Serb trench art on it). You see a lot of them in the old Yugoslav War footage from the 90's so I would definitely like one I could just do without a few of the features they seem intent on including.
Charles_The_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 08, 2019, 00:32   #17
Heisser Mann
Registered

https://www.facebook.com/ZastavaArms...type=3&theater

They have a Facebook page. Lots of AK, pistol and here is a couple pics of their Mausers. Like this one.
Old September 14, 2019, 08:28   #18
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisser Mann View Post

https://www.facebook.com/ZastavaArms...ype=3&theatesr

They have a Facebook page. Lots of AK, pistol and here is a couple pics of their Mausers. Like this one.
I like the look of mannlicher stocked carbines and always wanted one of the sako made ones.
But the only one I ever owned was an Anschutz 22mag that had accuracy issues with the stock and mountings.
I cant say how many times I had that gun apart for stock relief and rebedding work, never did get it to shoot the way an anschutz should.
Ive read about and seen other mannlichers that shot decent, but that one experience pretty much soured me on the style.
Ruger made them for years, but I couldent even bring myself to buy one when they dropped to the clearance house prices....
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2019, 00:41   #19
hairygreek
Registered

FALaholic #: 71529
All they need to do is import the Dragunov copy and they would do well.
Old September 16, 2019, 11:33   #20
Heisser Mann
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
I like the look of mannlicher stocked carbines and always wanted one of the sako made ones.
But the only one I ever owned was an Anschutz 22mag that had accuracy issues with the stock and mountings.
I cant say how many times I had that gun apart for stock relief and rebedding work, never did get it to shoot the way an anschutz should.
Ive read about and seen other mannlichers that shot decent, but that one experience pretty much soured me on the style.
Ruger made them for years, but I couldent even bring myself to buy one when they dropped to the clearance house prices....
I had a CZ 22LR Mannlicher--it was great. Beautiful wood, great trigger and accurate--no plastic!
Old October 09, 2019, 08:52   #21
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
FWIW, Cabela's Hamburg has a slew of these - all seemed to be highly 'individualized'.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Zast...JS/3047395.uts

More than these four, for sure
Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 12:06   #22
starbuck
Registered

FALaholic #: 26466
The surplus M70AB2's were pretty rad guns.
Old October 09, 2019, 12:13   #23
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
The surplus M70AB2's were pretty rad guns.
Agreed, they make a great AK.....

[IMG][/IMG]